Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,199 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings (2488 Views)

Buhari, Others Pray For Yusuf Buhari's Quick Recovery At Friday Jumat / Buhari, Others Have 101 Presidential Aides; Buhari 24, Osinbajo 52 (Full List) / Arrested Judges: Ogungbeje Sues Buhari, AGF, DSS Others For N50bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by SaiNigeria: 4:23pm On Jun 09, 2016
Human rights activist and Lagos-based lawyer, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, has dragged President Muhammadu Buhari, the Federal Republic of Nigeria and Attorney-General of the Federation before the Federal High Court, Lagos over what he called a constant invasion of Biafra protests by soldiers and policemen, leading to severe human casualties.

In the new suit, which also has the Inspector-General of Police, the Chief of Army Staff, the Chief of Navy Staff and the Chief of Air Staff as defendants, Adegboruwa is asking the court to halt the constant invasion of Biafra protests by security agents.

The lawyer is claiming that all Nigerian citizens are granted the right of free assembly and association, under section 40 of the 1999 Constitution and also the freedom of expression, under section 39 of the same Constitution.

He is therefore contending that members of the Independent Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, are entitled to assemble in any part of the country, for the purpose of demanding for self determination, without any permit or licence.
“And when they so decide to gather, the police, the army, or indeed other security agencies are not entitled to invade their gathering, or to shoot them or to arrest and detain them, as was done in most parts of the South East, last week.

He, therefore, wants the court to affirm the rights of citizens to express themselves on any areas of grievance without let or hindrance from the security agencies.

In the suit, marked FHC/L/CS/775/2016, Adegboruwa is seeking among other reliefs, a declaration that the applicant and all other citizens of Nigeria are entitled to gather, assemble freely and express their opinions lawfully in the exercise of their fundamental rights guaranteed under sections 39 and 40 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 (1), 11, 20 and 28 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Cap. 10, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 and is illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.

He is also seeking a declaration that the arrest, detention and killings of innocent and unarmed citizens of Anambra State, Enugu State, Imo State, Abia State and Ebonyi State (all of the Igbo tribe) while gathering in Nkpor, Ifite-Dunu and Nnewi in Anambra State of Nigeria on the 30th day of May, 2016 to commemorate the International Biafra Heroes’ Remembrance Day by the respondents, their servants and privies constitutes a flagrant violation of the citizen’s fundamental rights guaranteed under sections 39 and 40 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10(1), 11, 20 and 28 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Cap. 10, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990 and is illegal, unconstitutional, null and void.

The lawyer further seeks an injunction restraining the Respondents, whether by themselves, their servants, agents, officers or otherwise howsoever from further violating the fundamental rights of the citizens of Anambra State, Enugu State, Imo State, Abia State and Ebonyi State through unlawful arrest, detention and killing except and in a manner permitted and sanctioned by law.

He is also seeking an order nullifying and voiding actions of the respondents over the massacre of innocent and unarmed citizens of Anambra State, Enugu State, Imo State, Abia State and Ebonyi State in Nkpor, Ifite-Dunu and Nnewi all in Anambra State of Nigeria on the 30th day of May, 2016 while commemorating the International Biafra Heroes’ Remembrance Day to the extent that it violates the liberty and freedom of the citizens of Anambra State, Enugu State, Imo State, Abia State and Ebonyi State as guaranteed under sections 39 and 40 of the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 and Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10(1), 11, 20 and 28 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, Cap. 10, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004.
No hearing date has yet been fixed for the suit.

http://guardian.ng/news/adegboruwa-sues-buhari-others-over-biafra-killings/

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Pwayne2016(m): 4:50pm On Jun 09, 2016
Zombies go be like.. Na Ipod yoot be the lawyer

12 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by jlinkd78(m): 4:52pm On Jun 09, 2016
The moment I read d incisive reportage done by Premium Times on d human right abuses against d ppl of Byaphra with heartbreaking pictorial compilation, I knew that d jinx of keeping d agitation under hibernation mode has suddenly been broken. Shame on all d lawyers of 5% extraction. Shame on all d elected from 5% constituency. Shame too on most elites amongst d 5%. Kudos to this great lawyer from our often maligned neighbours. Kudos to Naira land for reducing d censorship against d struggle, at least for now and for allowing an egalitarian social media space where verified news for/against d 5%ers now make FP. While I expect this one from Guardian and that from Premium Times to make FP for wider reach, I encourage Seun and his wonderful mods to continue to remain unbiased umpires. We Are indeed all Byaphrans.

14 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by UmuEri(m): 5:07pm On Jun 09, 2016
Another sensible man from YolobaLand.

But he is an Ipod Yoot, Oh i forgot, we are all Ipods.

What does Zombie has to say?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by MXrep: 5:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
WE ARE ALL BIA.FRANS SIMPLE

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Splinz(m): 6:33pm On Jun 09, 2016
Thank you barrister. Someone need to call that monster in Aso Villa to order.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by unstableaswater: 6:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
Who says all yorubas are heartless? We have seen far more condemnation of the tactics employed by the military on IPOB armless protesters from the SW than even the SE.

They sit and watch life that can not be restored taken by religious and ethnic biggots.

Shame on all SE representatives.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by mich24(m): 6:52pm On Jun 09, 2016
God bless you my good brother from different mother,may your days be long.

To changeagent if you want peace and unity in Nigeria you must start with justice and fairness,give them the sense of belonging and not asking them to turn blind eye to an open wound on their body while you have not done any thing to see it heal rather than opening more wounds.

God bless Nigeria
God bless Biafra
grin lalasticlala pls be a good servant for a better tomorrow(fB).

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Ekejoestar(m): 7:02pm On Jun 09, 2016
Lalasticlala....password=biafra.....username=freedom.....pls do the needyful...f.p tins
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by SegunAdewole: 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2016
It only takes common sense to be Biafr*n. I'm a yorubaman and my mind is Biafra*. Anybody who fights injustice and is ready to die fighting tyranny is Biafran by default.

The moslems in our yorubaland are the problem of the south.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by attackgat: 7:27pm On Jun 09, 2016
The name of the Lawyer sounds Yoruba? Could it be that there is actually a third Yoruba individual out there after Fayose and FFK who is not a slave of the Hausa/Fulani northern oligarchy? A miracle!

Nice one. The blood thirsty regime of Buhari must be exposed to the world!

5 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by attackgat: 7:32pm On Jun 09, 2016
jlinkd78:
The moment I read d incisive reportage done by Premium Times on d human right abuses against d ppl of Byaphra with heartbreaking pictorial compilation, I knew that d jinx of keeping d agitation under hibernation mode has suddenly been broken. Shame on all d 5% lawyers. Shame on all d elected from 5%. Shame too on most elites amongst d 5%. Kudos to this great lawyer from our often maligned neighbours. Kudos to Naira land for reducing d censorship against d struggle, at least for now and for allowing an egalitarian social media space where verified news from d 5%ers now make FP. When I expect this one from Guardian and that from Premium Times to make FP for wider reach, I encourage Seen and his wonderful mods to continue to remain unbiased umpires.

Can you post the link where you read it?
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by GINJALANDGIST: 7:39pm On Jun 09, 2016
attackgat:

Can you post the link where you read it?

NL is sensoring the article from being posted.

https://web./radiobiafralondon/permalink/1044697192311383/
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by 9izone(f): 7:49pm On Jun 09, 2016
Good one
God bless you Adegboruwa

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Justindeco: 7:52pm On Jun 09, 2016
i don't know that we still have this kind of people/lawyer in this zoo called Nigeria especialy from yoruber, a tribe of betrayer and backstabing and the worst part is that igbos elite where so selfish and coward that you can't discribe their stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by skyman200(m): 8:16pm On Jun 09, 2016
igbos politicians are the most selfish beings i ever seen, is it high tym some reasonable igbos should start dealing with those sabotaur

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by killsmith(f): 8:38pm On Jun 09, 2016
I think its time we start boycotting elections in igboland....

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Shukuakukobambi: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
UmuEri:
Another sensible man from YolobaLand.
But he is an Ipod Yoot, Oh i forgot, we are all Ipods.
What does Zombie has to say?

Another yoloba man comes to the rescue of the nyamiri yeeboes again cheesy

Well it's in their nature to fight for the defenceless hateful, bitter and wailing Zombies. grin

Keep it up Adegboruwa. May Shuku Okuko Bambiala bless you cool

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by ridwanayo(m): 8:56pm On Jun 09, 2016
No igbo man has condemn the killing of biafra protesters than yoruba,from fayose to ffk to this lawyer now.still igbo's still call us backstabbers,betrayal cowards.its time they know yoruba 's are not there enemy nd would never be.igbo's only lost the biafra war cause ojukwu decided to attack lagos.hate us or love us yoruba would forever be the tribe to form ally with.we are rarely wrong politically
We are all biafra:for anybody that condems injustice,extra juducial killing his biafra

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by qleap2all(m): 8:58pm On Jun 09, 2016
SegunAdewole:
It only takes common sense to be Biafr*n. I'm a yorubaman and my mind is Biafra*. Anybody who fights injustice and is ready to die fighting tyranny is Biafran by default.

Time will tell
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by PentiumPro(f): 9:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
Tai Solarin, Wole Soyinka.
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by PentiumPro(f): 9:31pm On Jun 09, 2016
SegunAdewole:

Lolz Collins Amadi, you are no longer funny with this your I'm a Yoruba and Yoruba Moslem garbage sha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by ozodimgba(m): 9:41pm On Jun 09, 2016
Willy is working! keep working when it is time to vote we will know if ur working or not. Anu beef!

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by SegunAdewole: 9:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
PentiumPro:
[s]

Lolz Collins Amadi, you are no longer funny with this your I'm a Yoruba and Yoruba Moslem garbage sha [/s]

Mr muslim, shift go one side abegi

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by DauraDullard0(m): 10:29pm On Jun 09, 2016
jlinkd78:
I encourage Seun and his wonderful mods to continue to remain unbiased umpires.
Which wonderful Mods? Does that include that degenerate MyndSomething?
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by jlinkd78(m): 10:44pm On Jun 09, 2016
DauraDullard0:
Which wonderful Mods? Does that include that degenerate MyndSomething?
Bros DAT portion was not to receive a long ban. Up NL.
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by paramakina202: 11:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
In every generation of Yorubas there are always a Soyinka,I mean Soyinka of old,Fela Kuti of blessed memory.God bless all men of good will who stand on the side of truth nor matter what.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jun 09, 2016
paramakina202:
In every generation of Yorubas there are always a Soyinka,I mean Soyinka of old,Fela Kuti of blessed memory.God bless all men of good will who stand on the side of truth nor matter what.

Please let's not forget Chief Ghani Fawehmi of blessed memory.

The then conscience of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by ridwanayo(m): 12:11am On Jun 10, 2016
From wole soyinka,to fela anikulakpo to gani fawehmi,tell me any tribe that his more outspoken than yoruba
Even if not for the death of dagrin he could have been the voice of the masses nd youths like tupac did
West coast for life

Omo yoruba ni mi oh swaga
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by mike404(m): 12:43am On Jun 10, 2016
ozodimgba:
Willy is working! keep working when it is time to vote we will know if ur working or not. Anu beef!
t[size=30pt]HOW ABOUT BARRISTER MONDAY UBANI[/size]
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by MrMcJay(m): 1:05am On Jun 10, 2016
The most prominent protest in Alaigbo in 1929 before the Civil War was led by a Yoruba woman. The earlier we see ourselves as brothers, the better for everyone.
Re: Lagos-based Human Rights Activist Sues Buhari, Others Over Biafra Killings by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 10, 2016
ridwanayo:
No igbo man has condemn the killing of biafra protesters than yoruba,from fayose to ffk to this lawyer now.still igbo's still call us backstabbers,betrayal cowards.its time they know yoruba 's are not there enemy nd would never be.igbo's only lost the biafra war cause ojukwu decided to attack lagos.hate us or love us yoruba would forever be the tribe to form ally with.we are rarely wrong politically
We are all biafra:for anybody that condems injustice,extra juducial killing his biafra
Good morning.
When did u start your Residency training with Lai Mohammed....?
How can u say no IGBO man has condemned the killing of Biafrans, what about the IGBOS on nairaland platform....?
What about the Rev. Fathers..?
AND many more.?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

EDO 2016; Biographies Of Godwin Obaseki & Osagie Ize-iyamu - Kinginvahala / How I Plan To DESTROY Nigeria – Nnamdi Kanu / See The Way This APC And PDP Supporters Parked Their Car In Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.