Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:10 AM

How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft (2038 Views)

Body Control Module Or Interior Fuse Box For Toyota Rav4 2010 V6 3.5L / How Do I Protect My Dashboard And Leather Seats From The Sun / How To Know Signs Of A Bad Or Failing Abs Control Module (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by tutuwater(m): 7:28am On Jun 10, 2016
I woke up yesterday morning to th horror of finding out that a thief had access to my car and was able to steal the ECU/ECM and the controls for the power windows.
My car only have an immobilizer.
My question is what are the best measures I can take to safeguard the ECU and car from vandals and theft.

Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by AutoJoshNG: 8:44am On Jun 10, 2016
tutuwater:
I woke up yesterday morning to th horror of finding out that a thief had access to my car and was able to steal the ECU/ECM and the controls for the power windows.
My question is what are the best measures I can take to safeguard the ECU and car from vandals and theft.

Comprehensive insurance. Do an excess-buy-back so you won't pay a penny if the slightest thing happens to your car.

The insurance company will reimburse you in the event of theft, vandalism, flood, fire, accident etc.

AutoJoshNG
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Get a good security system with door and vibration sensors.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by tutuwater(m): 1:22pm On Jun 10, 2016
0rex:
Get a good security system with door and vibration sensors.
Thanks, how much does this goes for.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2016
tutuwater:

Thanks, how much does this goes for.
Depends on brand, type and complexity. It could be anything from about #7, 000 to even #45, 000.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:23am On Jun 11, 2016
In the 90's my uncle welded the a sheild over the engine Ecu of his mecerdes, I think this is not a bad idea considering the rampant cases of Engine Ecu theft.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
In the 90's my uncle welded the a sheild over the engine Ecu of his mecerdes, I think this is not a bad idea considering the rampant cases of Engine Ecu theft.
grin grin That solves it.
But the location of ECUs in modern cars might make this difficult without disfiguring the vehicle IMO.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by iwakunbaba: 12:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
I believe your car is a corolla, waht my neighbour did was to take his car to panel beater to relocate the ECU & weld it. My car was bugled with my neighbour's but windows control was stolen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by honmusa(m): 4:21pm On Jun 11, 2016
tutuwater:
Get a security device that can do intrusion detection function by sending a text message or sounding a alarm anytime you have external intrusion on your car even a mere touch on your car lock will send you a text message of a possible intrusion.
Get tramigo T23
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by tutuwater(m): 5:23pm On Jun 11, 2016
iwakunbaba:
I believe your car is a corolla, waht my neighbour did was to take his car to panel beater to relocate the ECU & weld it. My car was bugled with my neighbour's but windows control was stolen
It is an Avensis. Not common so I am particularly scared that if they are targeting Avensis, they can still come back.
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by tutuwater(m): 5:23pm On Jun 11, 2016
honmusa:

Get a security device that can do intrusion detection function by sending a text message or sounding a alarm anytime you have external intrusion on your car even a mere touch on your car lock will send you a text message of a possible intrusion.
Get tramigo T23
Tramigo T23 goes for how much?
Re: How Do I Protect My Engine Control Module From Theft by honmusa(m): 7:30pm On Jun 11, 2016
tutuwater:
Tramigo T23 goes for how much?
Sale and installation goes for 55k if you are in Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

Any Good BMW Mechanic In Ibadan. Suggestions Please. / Toyota Corolla Sport 2009 / Car Shipping From Canada To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.