Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) (63688 Views)

Man Sends An Orphan He Met During NYSC In Rivers To University (Pics) / 300L OOU Student Found Dead Near A River, Body Found After 5 Days (Photos) / How Delsu Post-utme Screening Exercise Was Like Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by 1metre: 2:11pm On Jun 11, 2016
Idydarling:
no WiFi, no WhatsApp, no Facebook, no internet...that's not life na
those Internet programme has caused a lot of distraction in our educational system, that is why we hv half baked graduates in our society today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Ruq: 2:12pm On Jun 11, 2016
naijamark:

Those are some people's grand parents o. A little respect would be in order please.

Oh yeah I forgot to call them sires, my bad.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Gebbson007(m): 2:14pm On Jun 11, 2016
"Tch make dis lectura do fast abeg sleep dey person eye"

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by MENZPRIDE(m): 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2016
When ever I hear stories of "the good old days" I always wonder 'where did we get it wrong, how did we get to this level'?
Those days when you are well respected and treated like a royalty, because you are an undergraduate.
Those days when companies and ministries queue up begging you with tantalizing offers and benfits, immediately you graduate.

>> >> fast forward to the standard of education today in Nigeria.......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 11, 2016
Idydarling:
researches and studies led to all you mentioned up there. Which are we doing to help our future generations?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mopricelezz:
Hmmmm. Now is better abeg
you really think so grin
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by firstolalekan(m): 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2016
mightyfada:
Being an undergraduate in a university is a great feat but it cannot be compared to being an undergraduate in the 1960; then it was considered epochal.

Ask people who went to universities during the period when you’ll be lucky to find 20 students in a class and they will tell you education during those days was worth it. They’ll tell you there were no distractions and it was about work and play and work again.

The University College which later became the University of Ibadan is the first university in the country and being a student in the university was attaining an impressive height.

A lot has changed in the Nigerian academic system especially in the tertiary institution. Gone are the days when school cafeterias provided balanced diet meal to students and the only thing they needed to worry about was getting the food from the plate to the mouth. The days where students could afford to seat anywhere in class because they was enough space to go round; when student hostels were cleaner than 5 star hotels and each student got his own space and there was no need to squat.

Students nowadays will tell you there was no better time to go to school than now. To them, the old universities were too strict as students had to sometimes wear robes like they were at Hogwarts. They say undergraduates in those days were treated like secondary school students with strict everyday rules to guide them.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt14vlmkd7bbrg.f1580c26.jpg[/img]
Undergraduates holding a student council meeting.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt23eh937b105.9be4864d.jpg[/img]
Students relaxing in new residence hall at University College.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt1pq6naopb5g.e2166e39.jpg[/img]
Students at University college.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/ vllkyt4264mf72577.4aee715a.jpg[/img]
Medical students listening to a lecture.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt1og4vgkrhv98.6f324c00.jpg[/img]
Medical students listening to a lecture at University College.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3ft78eqhfd3.ec857f74.jpg[/img]
Medical student studying at her desk in dormitory room.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt2r4jqms30h5.e073a529.jpg[/img]
Cricket being played by team from University College at Ibadan

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3j69jo14p0h.1ed55587.jpg[/img]
Bored student attending lecture at a university.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt482qj1ph39r.d856a860.jpg[/img]

What do you think? Was university better then than now?

http://newsafricanow.com/2016/06/retro-series-see-how-going-to-university-was-like-in-those-days-photos/

MANGAM:
Gone are those days....our leaders ve failed us
No
It's mostly those bastards in the picture that failed us. Are they not the leaders of today?
Obj, ibb, Abdul Salam, GEJ, Saraki, tinubu and even buhari etc.
They are the ones who enjoyed all those privileges and later made things worse for us.
POSTERITY AND KARMA WILL NOT FORGIVE THEM.

3 Likes

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by AntiWailer: 2:21pm On Jun 11, 2016
MANGAM:
Gone are those days....our leaders ve failed us

Yes they have

They failed us massively.

To say we had the first University, first television station in Africa.

It is very sad.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2016
xtophy:
You can as well move backward if u like.... There is nothing like good old days because i wonder wat u will stil call dis corrupt generation in a century to come. Every era/time has its own bed of roses...its just unfortunate that the present day Nigeria has given room for the stone age to disgrace her. [b]Just imagine, no fb, no nairaland, no wifi...[/b]guy, i no fit live.... Its gone and gone 4 life and i even thank God i didnt witness it because maybe na civil war go don kill me....#rip_shuabobo
@ bolded none was invented, discovered by Nigerians. We are living in a world behind the ones OP put up there. Leave the shores of Nigeria and see what the real present day is.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by olawuyi12(m): 2:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
university of Ibadan still the best

1 Like

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Taryur3(m): 2:36pm On Jun 11, 2016
I represent this days ....though I got my first degree 5yrs ago
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Oladokunnnn(m): 2:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
How it has changed now.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by YOUNGKAHUNA: 2:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
People who love to celebrate the so called good old days will keep you in that illusion. Wake up and activate your 21st century dreams!

1 Like

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by rollywise(m): 2:38pm On Jun 11, 2016
Education today is meaningless

1 Like

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Billiondoe: 2:40pm On Jun 11, 2016
Everything Ibadan Ibadan Ibadan. Now they would say civilization didn't start here. Mtcheeew.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by femi4: 2:41pm On Jun 11, 2016
Idydarling:
no dstv
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by chizobamgbume(m): 2:46pm On Jun 11, 2016
scholes0:
My Goodness, education standards have fallen really badly in Nigeria. One Nigeria is hampering the progress of the Yorubas, we are too forward thinking for this contraption called Naija, and all its wahala......
See how far we already were since the pre-independence days, and the days of proper regional governments.
Who/what is holding you back
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by IGLE25(m): 2:49pm On Jun 11, 2016
These are what makes the system now very pollute, incorporated with our corrupt system of government. Education then was far better than education now..
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Ofemmanu1: 2:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
ademasta:
Those that failed us are the ones in those pictures, only a thoughtful mind will understand.
That's very correct!
If we could go back in time, we would eliminate most of em e.g(obj, buhari, gej, tinubu, lie mohd, madueke etc)

1 Like

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
Rubbish!
Given the chance anyone would say the same about Nigeria under the military regime of which we all know is not true. These whole perceived golden years are an illusion which never happened or are an exaggeration of realities on ground at the time.
The only good thing about the pictures is the students all looking under 21 than recent times where 24 - 27 is the average age in public institutions.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by MayhorE(m): 3:04pm On Jun 11, 2016
domopps:
Even tho we are missing the good old days!

But Op can you imagine a college or university without a WIFI or Internet enability

Cheeeeeeers
But they have their ways of doing things then
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by banmee(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2016
xtophy:
You can as well move backward if u like.... There is nothing like good old days because i wonder wat u will stil call dis corrupt generation in a century to come. Every era/time has its own bed of roses...its just unfortunate that the present day Nigeria has given room for the stone age to disgrace her. Just imagine, no fb, no nairaland, no wifi...guy, i no fit live.... Its gone and gone 4 life and i even thank God i didnt witness it because maybe na civil war go don kill me....#rip_shuabobo

Your mindset is in part what is still holding the country back. Nigerians forget too quickly and are doomed to make the mistakes of the past. For you to move forward, you need to recognize where you started from and also serve as a measure for where you are going. Nigerians don't do that.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by banmee(m): 3:06pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mopricelezz:
Hmmmm. Now is better abeg

There is something wrong with you.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by ruggedchap: 3:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
Now we have cultists, randy lecturers and lose women.

So sad.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by tens4real(m): 3:10pm On Jun 11, 2016
the same serious minded individuals of 60's are the same once who are ruling the country since Adam...the same people that told us we are the leaders of tomorrow are the same once climbing the fence of national assembly because of power, they are the same once ruling us at 72...they same once whose head is abroad and anus at home,patriot in reverse order.. please let's here word if they can't change you
you change them!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by kayodu: 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2016
See melamby Hall, why are they all in whites. Am I the only one seing this.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by tonymorris: 3:20pm On Jun 11, 2016
herbie27:
Is dis wat the university is all abt?.

Which Olosho hurt u like dis?. cheesy
you
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by ishowdotgmail(m): 3:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
ivyy:

Queens grin

Wow! Neva knew u r a UIte

How's d break going?
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by IntroVAT: 3:29pm On Jun 11, 2016
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by mobinc(m): 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
Truly, the present day has better facilities to help one learn better with much less effort. The whole issue about fall in standard of education is a reflection of the fall in the standards of our value system. In those days, students were convinced that if they could learn better and perform better than their peers, the society would recognize and reward them better than their peers; and so it was. That was all the motivation they needed to be serious with their studies.

I need not tell you what has changed in our time, and why students are apparently unserious with their studies.

By and large, believe me, students are more intelligent nowadays, but systemic failure in the nation has made most people to lose hope in education.

I'm really sad 'cos there appears to be no hope for this country in the future, going by the current trend.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Samzack(m): 3:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
mcyemite:
all these started less than 20 years ago,and moverover werent they living before then?
Wassap,facebook,twitter started not more dan 7-8 yrs ago nd a live witout dese and d internet ain't worth living
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 11, 2016
tonymorris:
you
That word is now a cliche. cheesy

I asked to get a measure of you, now i have and i'm so disappointed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Marilyn Effanga: I Had Sex With Emmanuel Adooh Egerebu - Covenant University Stu / WAEC Result Of A Student From St. Francis Catholic College, Oyo. / See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.