Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:02 AM

How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) (63680 Views)

Man Sends An Orphan He Met During NYSC In Rivers To University (Pics) / 300L OOU Student Found Dead Near A River, Body Found After 5 Days (Photos) / How Delsu Post-utme Screening Exercise Was Like Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by shozillo(m): 5:44pm On Jun 11, 2016
Only in Africa is Most times they Claim d Former days is BETTER than NOW because its not Progressive!

TECHNOLOGY is Meant to make life simpler.Since they dnt invent Most of d Modern,Simple learning system..The OldGeneration is always STUCK in time Decieving themselves with Old Memories!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by chemsegun1: 6:07pm On Jun 11, 2016
NAIRA APPRECIATE AGAINST DOLLAR,, http:// nwngjp.com.ng/?p=572
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Redgo: 6:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
ademasta:
Those that failed us are the ones in those pictures, only a thoughtful mind will understand.
I disagree with you. Buhari, Babangida, Obasanjo, Abdusalami and GEJ never were in those pictures in the broader sense. Nigeria's transition was military. The academicians were never allowed to display their knowledge to develop Nigeria. They were compelled under guns and crusty discipline to act. There was war and many coups and Nigerians lived in fear. being educated doesn't mean you are authorised to stipulate for the government.

2 Likes

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Igboid: 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
ademasta:
Those that failed us are the ones in those pictures, only a thoughtful mind will understand.

Exactly! They were handed over the task of building a modern nation by the colonials, and they all failed due to greed and wickedness and selfishness,

They used their positions to Rob the country of her common wealth for their children relations and well wishers, they failed.

1 Like

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Igboid: 6:40pm On Jun 11, 2016
Redgo:
I disagree with you. Buhari, Babangida, Obasanjo, Abdusalami and GEJ never were in those pictures in the broader sense. Nigeria's transition was military. The academicians were never allowed to display their knowledge to develop Nigeria. They were compelled under guns and crusty discipline to act. There was war and many coups and Nigerians lived in fear. being educated doesn't mean you are authorised to stipulate for the government.

Those acadamicians were the civil servants that help the ruling class to siphon and loot the public wealth, they kept whispering selfish and exploitive words into the words of the corrupt political class, helping them behind the scene to invent exploitative policies.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by scholes0(m): 6:48pm On Jun 11, 2016
franciskaine:
wat are u saying. Was University college IB owned by Yorubas or Nigeria?

If it wasn't owned by Yorubas, why then wasn't it located in your Obscure gully?
nonsense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Mopricelezz(f): 7:09pm On Jun 11, 2016
banmee:

There is something wrong with you.

Excuse You?
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by agrovick(m): 7:13pm On Jun 11, 2016
ivyy:

Queens grin
Interesting, when did you finish?
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by banmee(m): 7:21pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mopricelezz:

Excuse You?

I see english is alien to you too.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Mopricelezz(f): 7:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
banmee:

I see english is alien to you too.

I dont have time for this. The last time I checked this is a thread where I aired my opinion. Oga please face your front. Thanks as you comply.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by sucess001(m): 7:35pm On Jun 11, 2016
Gosh! i can see my room in Mellanby Hall....

Darn...memories...rather wierd feeling to see that room had been used by my fathers!
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by ziego(m): 7:53pm On Jun 11, 2016
domopps:
Even tho we are missing the good old days!

But Op can you imagine a college or university without a WIFI or Internet enability

At least there wasnt indecent dressing like we have now.

Cheeeeeeers
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by blackprowler: 8:00pm On Jun 11, 2016
ademasta:

Don't mind all these yeye people. They've pushed everything on the head of abstract "leaders" like those people are a special breed from outer space

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by banmee(m): 8:06pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mopricelezz:

I dont have time for this. The last time I checked this is a thread where I aired my opinion. Oga please face your front. Thanks as you comply.

Airing your opinion does not mean you should start spilling garbage. It could be toxic. It takes one s.tupid person to influence the rest of mankind.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
Today

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by HouseT: 8:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
Idydarling:
no WiFi, no WhatsApp, no Facebook, no internet...that's not life na

My dear...never dulling for the old guys..life was sweeter,innocent and natural for them..they had much fun than us.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Mopricelezz(f): 8:48pm On Jun 11, 2016
banmee:

Airing your opinion does not mean you should start spilling garbage. It could be toxic. It takes one s.tupid person to influence the rest of mankind.

What is the meaning of this? What garbage?
Why are you acting frustrated? Maybe you should reread the thread.
Infact I'm so not doing this with you. Please Swerve
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by banmee(m): 9:02pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mopricelezz:

What is the meaning of this? What garbage?
Why are you acting frustrated? Maybe you should reread the thread.
Infact I'm so not doing this with you. Please Swerve

Yes I have and you're still spilling garbage.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by cyojunior1(m): 9:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
scholes0:
My Goodness, education standards have fallen really badly in Nigeria. One Nigeria is hampering the progress of the Yorubas, we are too forward thinking for this contraption called Naija, and all its wahala......
See how far we already were since the pre-independence days, and the days of proper regional governments.

Exactly my point thou ! Had it been we put one false nigeria aside n maintained a. Clear stance about being a yoruba.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 11, 2016
scholes0:

If it wasn't owned by Yorubas, why then wasn't it located in your Obscure gully?
nonsense.
so the University of Nigeria Nsukka is also owned by the Igbos? Let me leave u to urself.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Redgo: 10:19pm On Jun 11, 2016
I do understand, but in a military regime you would definitely have no choice but to obey before complain. if we had a democratic regime it would have been a better blame
Igboid:

Those acadamicians were the civil servants that help the ruling class to siphon and loot the public wealth, they kept whispering selfish and exploitive words into the words of the corrupt political class, helping them behind the scene to invent exploitative policies.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by tonymorris: 10:31pm On Jun 11, 2016
herbie27:
That word is now a cliche. cheesy

I asked to get a measure of you, now i have and i'm so disappointed.
common okay am sorry
i will like to know you better
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by scholes0(m): 10:33pm On Jun 11, 2016
franciskaine:
so the University of Nigeria Nsukka is also owned by the Igbos? Let me leave u to urself.

UI was originally a British creation in Western Nigeria that preceded every other school, while UNN is a completely nigerian funded and built institution, otondo.
If the Western Region was not worth enough to host it, the same institution might have as well been built by the brits in Calabar or Nkalagu.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by stevups(m): 10:47pm On Jun 11, 2016
Mellanby I hail thee!
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by jagbajantus: 11:26pm On Jun 11, 2016
It is not even close. Though you have internet and social media today and you think that defines everything but you can't be more wrong.
Universities were far better, had more regard and carried more respect in the old days. Students worked harder and the value was better.
No short cuts to your degree. You had to work for it and you cannot "sleep" on your back for the degree. No strikes! No cults on campus!
Nigeria did not have the level of corruption that it has today. Even WAEC and High School had greater value than today's secondary schools.
Don't even try to compare. University students cannot even spell or write correctly nowadays. It's a shame.
Today, there is more emphasis on entertainment and vanity than truth and principle. Nigerians are morally bankrupt. All they think about is money. They will kill for it. They worship the entertainers. They put them on a pedestal and kiss their asses. What new things have Nigerian entertainers contributed to the progress or development of the country? Other than music and videos and making their money, what else have they built or developed for the country? Who have they cured of any disease? Nigerians are a bunch of ass-kissers, money-worshipers and hero-worshipers. That's why many worship bank robbers, embezzlers, kidnappers and 419'ers who spray stolen cash publicly.
The country had a higher moral compass in the olden days. Now we only copy and copy and copy everything foreign - all the good with the bad.
Nigerians need to start looking back at themselves and create their own standard - not just always copy oyibo man blindly like we do now.
Those who do not remember their past will always live to repeat and regret the mistakes of their past. Don't get me started. You did already.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 12, 2016
scholes0:

UI was originally a British creation in Western Nigeria that preceded every other school, while UNN is a completely nigerian funded and built institution, otondo.
If the Western Region was not worth enough to host it, the same institution might have as well been built by the brits in Calabar or Nkalagu.
you are the big otondo. Was the school for westerners or for Nigerians. Don't let the location deceive you. University college was and remains a Nigerian property and not a Yoruba thing.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Akmarshal(m): 10:02am On Jun 12, 2016
mightyfada:
Being an undergraduate in a university is a great feat but it cannot be compared to being an undergraduate in the 1960; then it was considered epochal.

Ask people who went to universities during the period when you’ll be lucky to find 20 students in a class and they will tell you education during those days was worth it. They’ll tell you there were no distractions and it was about work and play and work again.

The University College which later became the University of Ibadan is the first university in the country and being a student in the university was attaining an impressive height.

A lot has changed in the Nigerian academic system especially in the tertiary institution. Gone are the days when school cafeterias provided balanced diet meal to students and the only thing they needed to worry about was getting the food from the plate to the mouth. The days where students could afford to seat anywhere in class because they was enough space to go round; when student hostels were cleaner than 5 star hotels and each student got his own space and there was no need to squat.

Students nowadays will tell you there was no better time to go to school than now. To them, the old universities were too strict as students had to sometimes wear robes like they were at Hogwarts. They say undergraduates in those days were treated like secondary school students with strict everyday rules to guide them.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt14vlmkd7bbrg.f1580c26.jpg[/img]
Undergraduates holding a student council meeting.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt23eh937b105.9be4864d.jpg[/img]
Students relaxing in new residence hall at University College.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt1pq6naopb5g.e2166e39.jpg[/img]
Students at University college.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/ vllkyt4264mf72577.4aee715a.jpg[/img]
Medical students listening to a lecture.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt1og4vgkrhv98.6f324c00.jpg[/img]
Medical students listening to a lecture at University College.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3ft78eqhfd3.ec857f74.jpg[/img]
Medical student studying at her desk in dormitory room.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt2r4jqms30h5.e073a529.jpg[/img]
Cricket being played by team from University College at Ibadan

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt3j69jo14p0h.1ed55587.jpg[/img]
Bored student attending lecture at a university.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt482qj1ph39r.d856a860.jpg[/img]

What do you think? Was university better then than now?

http://newsafricanow.com/2016/06/retro-series-see-how-going-to-university-was-like-in-those-days-photos/

This same people failed us all. They chop and clean mouth!
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by jpphilips(m): 12:37pm On Jun 12, 2016
domopps:
Even tho we are missing the good old days!

But Op can you imagine a college or university without a WIFI or Internet enability

Cheeeeeeers

They had great libraries
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by pweetylivia(f): 8:15pm On Jun 13, 2016
ivyy:

Yes dearie cheesy
What set?
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Elliot2(m): 11:46am On Jun 14, 2016
mobinc:
Truly, the present day has better facilities to help one learn better with much less effort. The whole issue about fall in standard of education is a reflection of the fall in the standards of our value system. In those days, students were convinced that if they could learn better and perform better than their peers, the society would recognize and reward them better than their peers; and so it was. That was all the motivation they needed to be serious with their studies.

I need not tell you what has changed in our time, and why students are apparently unserious with their studies.

By and large, believe me, students are more intelligent nowadays, but systemic failure in the nation has made most people to lose hope in education.

I'm really sad 'cos there appears to be no hope for this country in the future, going by the current trend.
I agree with u. this age has more benefits as regards infrastructures n more! And we r more intelligent, this is so, cos the average person even without education can solve certain problems due to exposure-Education is not closed-ended anymore whereby it's only gotten in the class room. however,the problem of this age as u rightly say is the fall in our value system-motivation and reward! we rr motivated by the wrong people or things-and rewarded with wrong things or giving rewards to the wrong people, punishing the right people while the wrong people go scot free. For example,when hardwork and integrity r not reward,whereas indiscipline and people without good characters are rewarded in the society.
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by Sulejmani: 7:32am On Jul 03, 2016
Ruq:
These guys are like fuc this shi.t, na yahoo we go do lass lass.
F*ck this shit, no time lol
Re: How Going To University Was Like In Those Days (photos) by kianlucas: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2019
The whole world change since then, so the education system supposed to change for sure. Can't say whether it was better back then, because I wasn't a witness of that time, but modern education is.. different! When I went to college, it was a pure disaster and I worked with papernow to make my assignment all the way. Then I went to the uni and it was so freaking perfect! I loved every moment I spent there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? / WAEC Result Of A Student From St. Francis Catholic College, Oyo. / Hnd Is Equivalent To A Bsc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.