Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Who Remembers Snape? - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Who Remembers Snape? (1982 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 4:37pm On Jun 11, 2016
About 4 months ago, I posted pictures of Snape asking about how to care for her. Here's what she looks like now. @LordRegalia thoughts?

Re: Who Remembers Snape? by oblo(m): 4:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
Wow.....looking really really good
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 5:09pm On Jun 11, 2016
oblo:
Wow.....looking really really good
Thank you!
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by LordRegalia: 6:25pm On Jun 11, 2016
Hello Mccarthyal.

Wow! Snape is really looking good. I really am impressed, as I still remember vividly how she was when you posted the first photos of her months ago. Congratulations and kudos for a very good job. I can see she is in good hands.

Well done and keep it up.

1 Like

Re: Who Remembers Snape? by uchpanila(m): 8:54pm On Jun 11, 2016
wow! looking good, congratulations!! Abeg no de spoil her beauty with that rotten chain go get a nice leash for her.
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 10:55pm On Jun 11, 2016
LordRegalia:
Hello Mccarthyal.

Wow! Snape is really looking good. I really am impressed, as I still remember vividly how she was when you posted the first photos of her months ago. Congratulations and kudos for a very good job. I can see she is in good hands.

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words! I appreciate them.
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 10:56pm On Jun 11, 2016
uchpanila:
wow! looking good, congratulations!!
Abeg no de spoil her beauty with that rotten chain go get a nice leash for her.
Haha. Thank you so much. About the chain, noted!

1 Like

Re: Who Remembers Snape? by ecstazhy(m): 6:15am On Jun 13, 2016
LordRegalia:
Hello Mccarthyal.
hello lord regalia,
we have just acquired a dog,boerboel,
at 9wks old,the dog only plays with my elder brother,goes into hiding if it spots visitor and does not eat well if my brother at work.it digust me so much that a breed like this seems so timid .pls what can i do to make the dog socialize though,i sometimes walk the dog when i am free but any slight sound or shake it, would seem withdrawn....
NB-just both of us living in the house but i am currently on break from school.the dog came in a week before i arrived from school.
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Eveezy(m): 8:37am On Jun 13, 2016
awwwn, dis dog is so gorgeous
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by ecstazhy(m): 11:09am On Jun 13, 2016
hello lord regalia,
at 9wks old,the dog only plays with elder brother,goes into hiding if it spots visitor and does not eat well if my brother at work.it digust me so much that a breed like this seems so timid .pls what can i do to make the dog sociable though,i sometimes walk the dog when i am free but any slight sound or shake it would seem withdrawn....
NB-just both of us living in the house but i am currently on break from school.the dog came in a week before i arrived.
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
Eveezy:
awwwn, dis dog is so gorgeous
Thank you! smiley
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by LordRegalia: 1:40am On Jun 15, 2016
ecstazhy:
hello lord regalia,
at 9wks old,the dog only plays with my elder brother,goes into hiding if it spots visitor and does not eat well if my brother at work.it digust me so much that a breed like this seems so timid .pls what can i do to make the dog socialize though,i sometimes walk the dog when i am free but any slight sound or shake it, would seem withdrawn....
NB-just both of us living in the house but i am currently on break from school.the dog came in a week before i arrived from school.

Hello ecstazhy. 

The behaviour you describe in your pup seems pretty normal for a 9 week old pup that suddenly finds itself a new environment, in this case, your home. 

Your pup needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and family. And whether or not he is a truly shy / timid dog, fortunately for you he is still at an age phase where he can be helped. You have between now and the time he turns 16 weeks to build his confidence. Not that it would be impossible to achieve this after 16 weeks but it would be much more difficult to do so as pups are more receptive and adapt easiest to stimuli between 12 to 16 weeks of age. It is also within this time frame that they are easiest to train. 

Here are a few steps you could follow. Spend a lot of time with your pup, either playing with him or just having him around you as you go about your daily routine / chores at home (this should also apply to every member of your household which your pup is expected to regard as family). Allow him to roam free most of the time. Do not chain or isolate him. Do not, under any circumstance beat or scold him harshly as this could aggravate the problem and possibly break his spirit, which is something you absolutely do not want to happen. Rather if you feel the need to correct any erring behaviour on his part, a firm "No" would suffice and should be consistent for all corrections. Or you could redirect his attention from any activity which may be undesirable / destructive. Do not physically force him to do anything you want him to do if he feels uncomfortable with it. Rather, let him grow into it at his own pace and time. You could seek gentle but firm ways to communicate whatever it is you need him to do without being harsh or forceful, however consistency is key. 

You, and all members of your household must show your pup love at all times to earn his trust and build his confidence and by extention his loyalty. Offer him lots of treats as you interact with him and also when he does something which you require him to do. Also, make a habit of offering him treats whenever you call him and he comes to you, or petting him playfully then or if he comes to you of his own volition (this would in turn lead him to associate social interaction with you and your household as a positive experience. You may also wish to extend this to a select few close friends and relatives whenever they visit, but be sure to discontinue or reduce it (ie the friends / relatives treats) once he turns 16 weeks old, so he does not become overly friendly with just anyone. 

For his eating habits, develop a regular feeding schedule with fixed food rations (3 meals a day). Allow a time frame of 10 - 15 minutes for him to finish his meal, after which you should immediately take away any leftovers or the entire meal if it is untouched until the next meal time. This would imbibe food discipline in him. When he is truly hungry, he would eat without prompting. If however he consistently refuses to eat his food or finish it for, say 2 straight days, then contact your vet and have him observe the dog for any health issues.

I would suggest you take these steps seriously and religiously within this time frame to get maximum success as a shy / timid dog is not fun to have around. 

All the best.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Remembers Snape? by ecstazhy(m): 11:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
thank you lord regalia,the dog seems to be responding well now[color=#000099][/color]
LordRegalia:

Hello ecstazhy. 

The behaviour you describe in your pup seems pretty normal for a 9 week old pup that suddenly finds itself a new environment, in this case, your home. 

Your pup needs time to adjust to his new surroundings and family. And whether or not he is a truly shy / timid dog, fortunately for you he is still at an age phase where he can be helped. You have between now and the time he turns 16 weeks to build his confidence. Not that it would be impossible to achieve this after 16 weeks but it would be much more difficult to do so as pups are more receptive and adapt easiest to stimuli between 12 to 16 weeks of age. It is also within this time frame that they are easiest to train. 

Here are a few steps you could follow. Spend a lot of time with your pup, either playing with him or just having him around you as you go about your daily routine / chores at home (this should also apply to every member of your household which your pup is expected to regard as family). Allow him to roam free most of the time. Do not chain or isolate him. Do not, under any circumstance beat or scold him harshly as this could aggravate the problem and possibly break his spirit, which is something you absolutely do not want to happen. Rather if you feel the need to correct any erring behaviour on his part, a firm "No" would suffice and should be consistent for all corrections. Or you could redirect his attention from any activity which may be undesirable / destructive. Do not physically force him to do anything you want him to do if he feels uncomfortable with it. Rather, let him grow into it at his own pace and time. You could seek gentle but firm ways to communicate whatever it is you need him to do without being harsh or forceful, however consistency is key. 

You, and all members of your household must show your pup love at all times to earn his trust and build his confidence and by extention his loyalty. Offer him lots of treats as you interact with him and also when he does something which you require him to do. Also, make a habit of offering him treats whenever you call him and he comes to you, or petting him playfully then or if he comes to you of his own volition (this would in turn lead him to associate social interaction with you and your household as a positive experience. You may also wish to extend this to a select few close friends and relatives whenever they visit, but be sure to discontinue or reduce it (ie the friends / relatives treats) once he turns 16 weeks old, so he does not become overly friendly with just anyone. 

For his eating habits, develop a regular feeding schedule with fixed food rations (3 meals a day). Allow a time frame of 10 - 15 minutes for him to finish his meal, after which you should immediately take away any leftovers or the entire meal if it is untouched until the next meal time. This would imbibe food discipline in him. When he is truly hungry, he would eat without prompting. If however he consistently refuses to eat his food or finish it for, say 2 straight days, then contact your vet and have him observe the dog for any health issues.

I would suggest you take these steps seriously and religiously within this time frame to get maximum success as a shy / timid dog is not fun to have around. 

All the best.
Re: Who Remembers Snape? by Mccarthyal(m): 6:10pm On Feb 26, 2017
Here's Snape after a year +. Her first heat was in October. Here's what she looks like now. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Re: Who Remembers Snape? by rumenase(m): 3:24pm On Jul 21, 2017
snape is a blast

(1) (Reply)

Please what is the breed of The Dog Of My New Neighbour? / Majors In The Pet Section / Lost Dog - Who Knows This Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.