Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,985 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Hard Facts About Niger Delta - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hard Facts About Niger Delta (1230 Views)

Some Hard Facts About Power (electricity) In Nigeria! / Jonathan's Ally Makes Shocking Revelation About Niger Delta Avengers.. / News Making Rounds In The Streets About Niger Delta Avengers And IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 11, 2016
HARD FACTS:

1) Niger Deltan leaders (governors, local govt chairmen, traditional rulers, high chiefs etc) actively contributed- and still contribute- to the underdevelopment of the region.

2) Their leaders collect "oil monies" meant for their respective communities from FG, oil companies and the states, and pocket the funds for their own enjoyment.

3) Having once lived in a major oil producing community in rivers state, I had first hand information on how several chiefs abandon projects or fail to apply community funds to appropriate public benefit.

4) The sheer mass illiteracy of the ND populace gives way to the smooth siphoning of public funds by their "chiefs and elders"... The educational lacuna is something that must be addressed urgently.

5) A lot of ND youths are unemployable because of lack of education and skills. This is the major reason why oil companies have to regularly ship in experts from other regions. You would find a lot of igbos and Yorubas in the oil fields, why? They are super qualified.

6) The ND people traditionally don't travel or explore like the other major tribes of Nigeria. This is why they had been in the dark for decades. Even the average Igbo man wants to replicate what he sees in Abuja in his own village, but you would all agree with me, most Niger Deltan "cities" are a rude disappointment and classic eyesores when juxtaposed with the resources therein.

The first day I went to the famous "Garden City" I was totally disappointed. It's a shame. These guys hardly see other places to feel challenged towards improving their environment selflessly...

7) perhaps the white man's early visit to the ND region is a curse to Niger Deltans because one major thing they learnt apart from wearing hats was how to "enjoy life to the fullest" with assorted wines, women, hotels and other luxury. They never learnt how to build even beautiful houses. I've seen Agip, Total and several other oil company staff without a befitting house, but they waste money daily on flexing...

CONCLUSION:

So my opinion: resource control or secession may not turn the region into a Dubai or some sort of paradise. On the other hand, a true fiscal federalism might actually improve their lot in the long run. But are other regions ready to practice fiscal federalism? Are they ready to take the "risky" challenge of sustaining themselves?

Kindly throw in your thoughts on this...

PS: my respect goes to those hardworking and law-abiding Niger Deltans who genuinely seek progress and development of their region. God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by mrnigerdelta: 12:00am On Jun 12, 2016
Absolute rubish

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by ever811(m): 12:08am On Jun 12, 2016
u are very correct...iam typing from Abonima Ireland, I am surprise the way they reason,but then again the federal government has to do something if they genuinely want to help this people.let the federal government and oil company execute what ever project they intend to bring in the Niger Delta communities by them selves.they have to kill most especially the chiefs if need be to make sure this region is developed.but then again,that will have to be in the next generation when the number of exposed and educated youth will overshadow the illiterate majority of youth they have today..the most affected communities are the river lines..a typical river line youth believe that,it is the duty of the government to even provide people that will be bathing them..in Abonima here,it is the local government that pays there light bill.I over heard one of the youth just yesterday from my room,after the NEPA light went off,saying that,they should bring the money the local goverment is using to pay for the light for them to share if the light is not constant.. u can imagined that kind of mentality? instead of suggesting that the money be Chanel into a community project.I have been in this community from January to this hour for a project, so far I have a fool knowledge about what is happening in this region. there chiefs and leaders know how to keep the youth busy with little amount of money. a typical river line youth values the 1k he gets from a politician more than the 100k he earn by himself. come to Abonima during election period and see how happy and busy they get by following and hailing politicians for money.in abonima here many project has been abandon because of the demand the chiefs are making trough the youth.most kidnappings in this communities in the delta,the chiefs ate directly or indie involved. they have made there youth so useless so that they can easily use them for there selfish activities.what the chiefs in this areas does,is to sponsor politicians into different offices in return for settlement with contract in there communities that they will abandon and embezzle the money..no body can question them because they sponsored the man with the responsibility to question them to where he is..I am tired of typing,if not if I tell u all I acknowledge from this people within this short period of time,u will know that 99.9 % of the Niger Delta problem is the Niger Delta it self..

2 Likes

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by mrvitalis(m): 12:18am On Jun 12, 2016
This is just the basic truth

Just add this they want to eat their cake and still have it

They want to share oil revenue among them selfs and still have good roads and other infeatructure

2 Likes

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by lacasera14(m): 12:18am On Jun 12, 2016
Coming from an Igbo man I guess, ND is too big you've not traveled half of it to come to this premature assertion you call hard facts
Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 2:01am On Jun 12, 2016
mrvitalis:
This is just the basic truth

Just add this they want to eat their cake and still have it

They want to share oil revenue among them selfs and still have good roads and other infeatructure

The thing tire me sha...

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 12, 2016
lacasera14:
Coming from an Igbo man I guess, ND is too big you've not traveled half of it to come to this premature assertion you call hard facts

Lived and worked in Rivers and Delta and I've been to several other communities in the ND. This is generally what I see.Underdevelopment. Yet some people collect monies regularly from companies for projects, hazards compensation etc.

Yes the FG might not be doing their best but im of d opinion that the ND people needs a change in attitude to progress as a people.
Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by ayoola2002(m): 5:26am On Jun 12, 2016
mrnigerdelta:
Absolute rubish
Absolutely Right
Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by chukzyblingz(m): 6:38am On Jun 12, 2016
Nonsense thread fool of stupid assumption and unreasonable generalizations.
Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by dustmalik: 6:39am On Jun 12, 2016
This is the absolute truth that they aren't ready to accept. They would rather blow up pipelines on a daily basis, and then blame Buhari for their senselessness. What a people.

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Omololu007(m): 8:01am On Jun 12, 2016
Even GEJ did nothing for the people of the niger delta...except to make militants very rich

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 12, 2016
chukzyblingz:
Nonsense thread fool of stupid assumption and unreasonable generalizations.

Kindly point out where I'm wrong, that's why we are here...
Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 12, 2016
ever811:
u are very correct...iam typing from Abonima Ireland, I am surprise the way they reason,but then again the federal government has to do something if they genuinely want to help this people.let the federal government and oil company execute what ever project they intend to bring in the Niger Delta communities by them selves.they have to kill most especially the chiefs if need be to make sure this region is developed.but then again,that will have to be in the next generation when the number of exposed and educated youth will overshadow the illiterate majority of youth they have today..the most affected communities are the river lines..a typical river line youth believe that,it is the duty of the government to even provide people that will be bathing them..in Abonima here,it is the local government that pays there light bill.I over heard one of the youth just yesterday from my room,after the NEPA light went off,saying that,they should bring the money the local goverment is using to pay for the light for them to share if the light is not constant.. u can imagined that kind of mentality? instead of suggesting that the money be Chanel into a community project.I have been in this community from January to this hour for a project, so far I have a fool knowledge about what is happening in this region. there chiefs and leaders know how to keep the youth busy with little amount of money. a typical river line youth values the 1k he gets from a politician more than the 100k he earn by himself. come to Abonima during election period and see how happy and busy they get by following and hailing politicians for money.in abonima here many project has been abandon because of the demand the chiefs are making trough the youth.most kidnappings in this communities in the delta,the chiefs ate directly or indie involved. they have made there youth so useless so that they can easily use them for there selfish activities.what the chiefs in this areas does,is to sponsor politicians into different offices in return for settlement with contract in there communities that they will abandon and embezzle the money..no body can question them because they sponsored the man with the responsibility to question them to where he is..I am tired of typing,if not if I tell u all I acknowledge from this people within this short period of time,u will know that 99.9 % of the Niger Delta problem is the Niger Delta it self..

Inasmuch as these oil companies would gladly love to execute community projects by themselves, these chiefs and cultist youth leaders always intimidate them into handing over everything to them; and they end up looting everything. Because most of the people are in the darkness of illiteracy and ignorance, they hardly know what benefits should accrue to them.

In the community I once lived/worked, the Oba was notorious for abandoning public utility projects such as road costruction. The little he managed to do were very shoddy. But nobody complains except well-traveled "strangers" like us...

I believe education will change their mentality in the near future...

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Sealeddeal(m): 9:41am On Jun 12, 2016
50% of the problems in Niger Delta is caused by the leaders and the people of Niger Delta region. The rest is caused by oil companies and Federal government of Nigeria. Tackling the problems in Niger Delta region requires all hands to be on deck. I am also an advocate of true Federalism.

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 12, 2016
artmostfair:
HARD FACTS:

1) Niger Deltan leaders (governors, local govt chairmen, traditional rulers, high chiefs etc) actively contributed- and still contribute- to the underdevelopment of the region.

2) Their leaders collect "oil monies" meant for their respective communities from FG, oil companies and the states, and pocket the funds for their own enjoyment.

3) Having once lived in a major oil producing community in rivers state, I had first hand information on how several chiefs abandon projects or fail to apply community funds to appropriate public benefit.

4) The sheer mass illiteracy of the ND populace gives way to the smooth siphoning of public funds by their "chiefs and elders"... The educational lacuna is something that must be addressed urgently.

5) A lot of ND youths are unemployable because of lack of education and skills. This is the major reason why oil companies have to regularly ship in experts from other regions. You would find a lot of igbos and Yorubas in the oil fields, why? They are super qualified.

6) The ND people traditionally don't travel or explore like the other major tribes of Nigeria. This is why they had been in the dark for decades. Even the average Igbo man wants to replicate what he sees in Abuja in his own village, but you would all agree with me, most Niger Deltan "cities" are a rude disappointment and classic eyesores when juxtaposed with the resources therein.

The first day I went to the famous "Garden City" I was totally disappointed. It's a shame. These guys hardly see other places to feel challenged towards improving their environment selflessly...

7) perhaps the white man's early visit to the ND region is a curse to Niger Deltans because one major thing they learnt apart from wearing hats was how to "enjoy life to the fullest" with assorted wines, women, hotels and other luxury. They never learnt how to build even beautiful houses. I've seen Agip, Total and several other oil company staff without a befitting house, but they waste money daily on flexing...

CONCLUSION:

So my opinion: resource control or secession may not turn the region into a Dubai or some sort of paradise. On the other hand, a true fiscal federalism might actually improve their lot in the long run. But are other regions ready to practice fiscal federalism? Are they ready to take the "risky" challenge of sustaining themselves?

Kindly throw in your thoughts on this...

PS: my respect goes to those hardworking and law-abiding Niger Deltans who genuinely seek progress and development of their region. God bless you all.

1 Like

Re: Hard Facts About Niger Delta by 989900: 1:51pm On Jun 12, 2016
No truer article ever written!

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello / Congratulatory Message To The New N.P.A Managing Director (pic) / Police Recover Assassinated Rivers APC Leader’s Head, Four Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.