Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms (18213 Views)

Igbo Dare Arewa: We Won’t Leave North …demand Ango Abdullahi’s Arrest / Reps Reject Oil Firms’ Relocation To Niger Delta / New Delta Suicide Squad NDSS Emerges, Issues 7Day Ultimatum To Private Oil Firms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Islie: 1:33am On Jun 12, 2016
Ifeanyi Onuba, Okechukwu Nnodim and ’Femi Asu

International oil companies operating in the Niger Delta region are not thinking about pulling out from Nigeria at the moment despite the continued bombing and destruction of their facilities by militants in the area.

However, some of the IOCs plan increased production shut-ins, particularly in areas that are worst hit by the activities of the militant group, Niger Delta Avengers.
On Friday, the NDA bombed a pipeline belonging to the Nigerian Agip Oil Company in Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

The group had carried out series of bombings that had reduced Nigeria’s crude oil production by close to one million barrels per day, and had rebuffed any discussion with the Federal Government on ways to address it grievances.

A senior official of one of the affected oil majors operating in the Niger Delta told one of our correspondents on Saturday that although the bombings had shown no sign of stopping, his firm had yet to consider pulling out of Nigeria, although it had scaled down its operations in the area.

“We are not thinking of pulling out of Nigeria for I’ve never heard it and I don’t have an answer to say that we are pulling out from the country. However, this does not mean that we won’t shut operations in areas where explosions and destruction are high,” the official, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said.

The Managing Director, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited and Country Chair, Shell Companies in Nigeria, Mr. Osagie Okunbor, told our correspondent last month, “Shell is not leaving Nigeria. Our strategy in Nigeria is to optimise our onshore oil footprint, while making further investments in other growth areas, particularly in deep water and the gas value chain, including domestic gas.”

When asked if the company was considering pulling out amid the increased hostility in the Niger Delta, Chevron’s General Manager, Policies, Government and Public Affairs, Deji Haastrup, said, “We will not be making any comment at this time.”

In its latest financial and operations report, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation explained that the recent upsurge in vandalism had negatively impacted on the country’s crude oil production output, making it to lose its African top crude oil producer status to Angola.

According to the corporation, about 380,000 barrels of crude oil per day remained shut-in due to vandalism of the 48-inch sub-sea export line on February 15, 2016.

“Also, the nation has lost over 1,500 megawatts of power supply to the damage as gas supply from Forcados, which is Nigeria’s major artery, accounts for 40 to 50 per cent of gas production. Incessant pipeline vandalism poses the greatest threat to the industry,” the NNPC said.

Chevron, Shell and Eni, the parent company of Nigeria Agip Oil Company, have been hard hit by the attacks by militants in the Niger Delta, home to most of the nation’s oil and gas production.

Currently, three of the nation’s five largest export streams, Forcados, Bonny Light and Brass River, have been totally suspended as a result of the attacks.

On Wednesday, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited shut the Trans Niger Pipeline, which transports around 180,000 barrels of crude oil per day to the Bonny Export Terminal, after a leak was found.

Crude oil production in the country has dropped to about 1.4 million barrels per day from 2.2 million bpd, upon which the Federal Government assumed an oil revenue of N820bn at $38 per barrel benchmark price.

The sabotage of oil and gas infrastructure in recent months has contributed to a significant decline in production levels, and loss of revenue by government and oil companies.

According to the Managing Director, Frontier Oil Limited, an oil and gas field developing firm, Mr. Dada Thomas, it makes no business sense trying to earn income when one lacks the guarantee of staying alive to enjoy the revenue.

He said although the IOCs might not pull out immediately from Nigeria, if in the long term nothing meaningful was done to address the menace of the militants, the option of divesting might surface later.

Thomas said, “People only want to invest in an area where they can make money and enjoy their returns. This is a simple business strategy. There’s no point trying to make money if you are going to die in the next minute. It doesn’t make sense.

“Now, the solution to this trouble has to be a carrot and stick approach. There must be engagement, because to some extent there is a political arm to this menace. But is it criminality and that is why we must adopt a carrot and stick approach. Let the people know that I’m willing to engage but this engagement will be with legitimate people who can put the interest of their people on the table.”

Prof. Wumi Iledare of the International Association of Energy Economics stated that the IOCs would not just pull out from the country because of their level of investments, adding that many of them were operating based on shared contracts with the Federal Government.

He said, “I don’t think divestment by oil majors is something that can just happen quickly; where are you divesting to and who will want to come and buy those assets? However, many of them are operating on PSC (Production Sharing Contract) terms and it helps them in recovering their cost.

“However, if I am an investor, I will think twice before I invest in a place where my assets are not secured. But you should know that some of these oil companies have operated in a more hostile environment. It, however, does not mean that they don’t record losses as a result of the criminality in the region. So, what we need to do is to find a way to stop this criminality.”

The Chief Executive Officer, Gacmork Nigeria Limited and ex-Chevron executive, Mr. Alex Neyin, said, “We are already faced with reduced production. We are already faced with reduced gas to run our power plants. Some of the IOCs have already shut some of their operations and evacuated a number of their workers in the Niger Delta. But I don’t think they will pull out of the country.”

“If they (militants) wipe out their installations, the IOCs will leave. And there are documents showing force majeure. When there is force majeure, any expense they incur goes back to the government. If they cannot meet their shipping obligations, it goes back to the government.”

http://www.punchng.com/attacks-wont-leave-nigeria-say-oil-firms/

1 Like

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by chocolateme(f): 1:34am On Jun 12, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by malele(m): 1:38am On Jun 12, 2016
Na by force make una leave south oil and go mine oil for north naaa

35 Likes

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by malele(m): 1:40am On Jun 12, 2016
chocolateme:
Hmmm

Open ur shirt a little bit.
Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Leopardd(m): 1:43am On Jun 12, 2016
malele:

Open ur shirt a little bit.

Lol, perv! tongue

1 Like

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by buharisbae(f): 2:13am On Jun 12, 2016
yeah Dont mind NDA and their empty threats

6 Likes

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by VampireeM(f): 2:18am On Jun 12, 2016
Karma is really dealing with PMB... In his next life he wont threaten any person group...

The fact is that the NA and the rest of the military agencies in Nigeria are incompetent and are as clueless as the president because in a sane society the sponsors of NDAs should ve been arrested by now... its so obvious that NDAs are even more equipped and ve a better intelligence unit than our military outfit. Shameless govt undecided

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 2:27am On Jun 12, 2016
Proudly 97% cool

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Expensivewarrio: 2:31am On Jun 12, 2016
This statement from these oil majors is a clear vindication that these foreign oil companies in collaboration with evil nigerian gov are deliberately polluting the air, water, land and ecosystem of niger delta region. With a firm belief that nobody can call them to order, nor will anything happen to them or their investment......well, a day of reckoning is fast approaching. Everyday for the thief but one day for the owner. Impunity never last forever.

Who says NDA are not fighting a just course?, when in contrast, nigerdelta region is opposite of what is obtainable in middle eastern regions where oil is drilled. The earlier the nigerdelta people rise up and unequivocally and unanimously order these oil companies to do the needful or get out of their land, the better for them and their unborn children.
The damage done already to the ecosystem of these oil communities will take more than 3 decade to be cleaned or reversed,if start today, how much more when such aberration is allowed to continue unabated/unhindered.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by agabusta: 2:48am On Jun 12, 2016
Foreign companies don't give in to blackmail easily. Most of their home countries have sound intelligence agencies that gives them correct info.

They know the current agitation by NDA is simply based on greed and not human right. They are just using the 'freedom fight'as a blanket for their greed.

Most of these guys made serious cash on pipeline surveillance contact during GEJ. They were at the same time bunkering and making additional exorbitant cash from illegal sale of crude.

PMB has put a stop to this and at the same time put a serious leash on the financial sector through the BVN.

The BVN is the main joker PMB has used to save Nigeria from imminent civil war.

It has firmly put the financial sector under the control of the govt. All those looted funds some people were banking on to forment trouble has been frozen. grin hehehe

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Standing5(m): 2:53am On Jun 12, 2016
agabusta:
Foreign companies don't give in to blackmail easily. Most of their home countries have sound intelligence agencies that gives them correct info.

They know the current agitation by NDA is simply based on greed and not human right.
Anywhere-belle-face logic.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by agabusta: 2:57am On Jun 12, 2016
Standing5:
Anywhere-belle-face logic.

Anywhere-belle-face reasoning.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Efe3: 8:24am On Jun 12, 2016
40 percent no be beans na
Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by hucienda: 8:43am On Jun 12, 2016
Nigeria is a significant contributor to their global daily production, so it makes sense to stay put and ride the waves.

But like M. Thomas implied it makes no business sense trying to earn income when one lacks the guarantee of staying alive to enjoy the revenue.

All the brouhaha just shows how dependent the country is on petroleum and poohpoohs on the empty rhetoric of diversification of the economy. We have become too lazy and used to the easy, quick, big money oil has been providing over the years.

3 Likes

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Shukuakukobambi: 8:44am On Jun 12, 2016
VampireeM:
Karma is really dealing with PMB... In his next life he wont threaten any person group...

The fact is that the NA and the rest of the military agencies in Nigeria are incompetent and are as clueless as the president because in a sane society the sponsors of NDAs should ve been arrested by now... its so obvious that NDAs are even more equipped and ve a better intelligence unit than our military outfit. Shameless govt undecided

Yes o. Buhari is really suffering and its evident in the fact that Bayelsa, the home of the ijaws, the state of the Jesus of otueke is owing 6months salary arrears. Even Delta state is having issues with teachers salaries while wike of rivers has racked up debts of almost N100B in less than a year.

Coupled with the increased environmental degradation, i can confirm Buhari is truly suffering well well cheesy

You can help us increase his suffering by nuking the Niger bridge. That way he'll suffer till he dies cheesy

In fact where are the missiles you promised? Are they affected by low battery? Or light no dey to power dem? Shuku okuko bambiala is loading curses for you and others if you don't make good that threat cheesy

59 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by omenka(m): 9:34am On Jun 12, 2016
Another spear right through the hearts of the Lost Crickets of Yisrael. cheesy

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by omenka(m): 9:36am On Jun 12, 2016
irunooboo:
Proudly 97% cool
You too like trouble. cheesy

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 12, 2016
omenka:
You too like trouble. cheesy

grin i enjoy dealing with the chest beating Ugandans

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by vedaxcool(m): 9:51am On Jun 12, 2016
[s]
VampireeM:

[/s]

Rubbish. The same military GEJ bastardize with corruption? it is clear who the shameless ones are.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by vedaxcool(m): 9:53am On Jun 12, 2016
Shukuakukobambi:

Yes o. Buhari is really suffering and its evident in the fact that Bayelsa, the home of the ijaws, the state of the Jesus of otueke is owing 6months salary arrears. Even Delta state is having issues with teachers salaries while wike of rivers has racked up debts of almost N100B in less than a year.

Coupled with the increased environmental degradation, i can confirm Buhari is truly suffering well well cheesy

You can help us increase his suffering by nuking the Niger bridge. That way he'll suffer till he dies cheesy

chio abeg pity the nicur wey you gove sagacious answer like this to.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by modath(f): 9:59am On Jun 12, 2016
Shukuakukobambi:

Bless you, a classic case of ipa n pa ara e, o ni ohun pa aja! Sheer ignorant self destructive elements!!

omenka:
Another spear right through the hearts of the Lost Crickets of Yisrael. cheesy

irunooboo:

You people ehn! cheesy cheesy

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by CyerSeries: 10:00am On Jun 12, 2016
I thought those people from the wasteside are rejoicing that the IOCs will leave ND and head to Wasteside?.. The truth is that IOCs will never leave ND instead, they will strike a deal with the NDs and together deal with the zoo. Game on!!

7 Likes

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by omenka(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2016
irunooboo:

They've claimed Burundi too oo. When we are done with Uganda, we'll move down there. cheesycheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Shukuakukobambi: 10:19am On Jun 12, 2016
vedaxcool:

chio abeg pity the nicur wey you gove sagacious answer like this to.

If only dem fit get sense small to pity themselves angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 12, 2016
omenka:
They've claimed Burundi too oo. When we are done with Uganda, we'll move down there. cheesycheesy

From lost tribe of Israel, to Ugandans and now Burundi grin funny biafrans

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 12, 2016
Shukuakukobambi:

Whoever is behind this moniker, just wanna let u know u doing a good job. We need to restore the flattties to factory settings and let them know oduduwa is greater than the nyamiris cool

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Shukuakukobambi: 10:23am On Jun 12, 2016
CyerSeries:
I thought those people from the wasteside are rejoicing that the IOCs will leave ND and head to Wasteside?.. The truth is that IOCs will never leave ND instead, they will strike a deal with the NDs and together deal with the zoo. Game on!!

cheesycheesy cheesy

Mumu, I thought you wanted to get to zero production?? I thought you wanted everything destroyed and all the oil spilled into the environment? I thought you wanted the zoo destroyed?? Why are you now stylishly recanting? You want negotiations with a zoo? shocked

Their functional headquarters will remain in Lagos while they carry out their dirty businesses in the ND. If you don't like it, the lagoon is ever ready to receive the brainless sods cheesy

Shuku okuko bambiala will curse you if you stop mid way cheesy

In fact wey the missile you promised? Did it mistakenly fall into Ezzu river on its way to aso rock? cheesy

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 12, 2016
CyerSeries:

I'm sure by now, mazi Nnamdi kanu our esteemed dilector of madness will be regretting fighting for we chest beating Ipo-Baboons who are only good at bragging online, insulting the yoruba's and merging the SS in our deluded country called biafraudu. Our dilector commanded us to burn down the zoo but the cowardice we inherited from ojukwu will not let us fight for our freedom. We are the real slaves in Nigeria and i pray chusku akuko Alabama guide us and deliver us from the shackles of the yorubas and hausa fulanis. Sometimes I regret been born a biafranistan, because despite our threats the zoo is still standing tall sad

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Shukuakukobambi: 10:26am On Jun 12, 2016
modath:

Bless you, a classic case of ipa n pa ara e, o ni ohun pa aja! Sheer ignorant self destructive elements!!

You people ehn! cheesy cheesy

I will not leave their matter until they destroy everything cheesy

Arungun ni all of them and dem must run gbo gbo ogun ile won cheesy

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Shukuakukobambi: 10:31am On Jun 12, 2016
irunooboo:

Whoever is behind this moniker, just wanna let u know u doing a good job. We need to restore the Igbos to factory settings and let them know oduduwa is greater than the nyamiris cool

Niger Delta dey agitate for dem oyel, na yeeboes from the erosion ravaged God forsaken land of the lost Ugandan Jews dey jump upandan like say dem see Jesus cheesy

Make dem start bombs in the SE to show seriousness, dem claim say the SE is so worthless, nothing of importance to bomb is there cheesy

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Attacks: We Won’t Leave Nigeria, Say Oil Firms by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 12, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Offshore Patrol Vessel Departs China On Maiden Voyage To Nigeria / Buhari Has Reduced Himself To President Of Katsina, Not Of Nigeria — Pa Adebanjo / Abayomi Awoniyi Decamps To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.