Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? (798 Views)

Ndigbo Has Benefitted From Buhari's Govt Than Any Other Place - Danas Kalu / North Has Oil, Diamond, Gold But I Want Us To Remain With Biafrans-maitama Sule / Lagos State Insists It Has Oil, Releases Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by proxillin(m): 1:12pm On Jun 12, 2016
I was just thinking about the unthinkables. What if oil dries up in the Niger delta? That question sounds disturbing and every Nigerians would not want it asked or answered. Its sounds like an end of the world scenerio.

Now let's face this inevitability. You might be saying Niger oil will never dry up. Accepted and agreed.
But we should consider a scenerio where all oil firms run away from Nigeria, due to war or Avenger like happenings. Or If the whole world discovers oil. E.g. American shale oil, new Lagos ocean discovery, chad basin, Kenya and Ghana joining oil producing countries. The way countries are discovering oil and more auto makers are considering chemical and renewable energy e.g Tesla, oil will soon be as cheap as water.

So if it finally happens, are we gonna die ? What are we benefiting from oil as a nation? I am yet to see any. The oil we put in our cars and generating sets is imported. We have been importing fuel since time immemorial. And the crude oil we dig from our soil ? We don't know where the money goes to. Yes we don't ? I personally don't know.

We do not have electricity, where is the money going to?

We do not have good roads, where is the money going to?

There is no secuty, where is the money going to?

No food security or consumer price protection, where is our oyel money going to?

We have bahd bado badest of eduction in the world, where is our oyel money.

I can say it courageously that I have never benefited anything from the crude oil.

I pay for the oil I use...not free and not cheap despite the fact that we have crude oil.

I pay for generating my own electricity

I pay for my health care.

I pay vigilante because we do not have police and security.

Let's consider some countries without crude oil. UK, Japan, China, Germany, India, all European Union have no oil, yet they are the richest and world power. Oil doesn't make any country rich. Oil just make a few people/politicians and cabals rich.

If we drop oil, what will happen?

When they were deliberating on removing oil subsidy, people were doing as if they are gonna die. They removed oil subsidy, yet we are still living. We are still importing our oil just like every other countries without oil.

We are just a bloody oil importer. We don't have refinery.

We should go back to the drawing board, we need to diversify our economy. We are blessed.

What do you think? Do you think we can't survive without crude oil..our oyel

1 Like

Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 1:18pm On Jun 12, 2016
By making our politians richer and the mesess poorer...... I WEEP 4 THIS NATION!
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by proxillin(m): 1:23pm On Jun 12, 2016
Maybe I don't know the hidden impact of oil. Somebody should educate me.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by NappilyNigerian(f): 1:30pm On Jun 12, 2016
End time for Nigeria.

Oil money should have been used with precision to build or upgrade existing power stations.

But that wasn't the case. Politicians were too myopic and corrupt to know the disastrous consequences. Where there is no electricity, how can we progress.

99% of businesses rely on power in one way or the other.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by proxillin(m): 1:32pm On Jun 12, 2016
NappilyNigerian:
End time for Nigeria.

Oil money should have been used with precision to build or upgrade existing power stations.

But that wasn't the case. Politicians were too myopic and corrupt to know the disastrous consequences. Where there is no electricity, how can we progress.

99% of businesses rely on power in one way or the other.

We are thinking alike.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by Movic1(m): 1:33pm On Jun 12, 2016
Crude oil is a curse to Nigeria!
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by proxillin(m): 1:39pm On Jun 12, 2016
Movic1:

Yes...it slowed us down.

We can't compare to a country like Rwanda right now.

Its just a shame
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by hotwax: 2:16pm On Jun 12, 2016
I have asked the same question in the past.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by hotwax: 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2016
Movic1:

Its doing more harm than good.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by TPAND(f): 3:02pm On Jun 12, 2016
If not for oil Nigeria would have been as prominent in the world as Madagascar
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by ckmayoca: 3:19pm On Jun 12, 2016
Oil is not a curse to nigeria but our leaders are. Even if money is made from another means, they will still embezzle it. Oil is like the easiest way of making money and a blessing so our leaders made it look like a curse.
The western world's give the money to the citizens and the citizens gives back to the government but ours don't give us a reason to give back to them since they (govt) don't even give to us in first place.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by hotwax: 3:36pm On Jun 12, 2016
TPAND:
If not for oil Nigeria would have been as prominent in the world as Madagascar

Agreed
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by hotwax: 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2016
ckmayoca:
Oil is not a curse to nigeria but our leaders are. Even if money is made from another means, they will still embezzle it. Oil is like the easiest way of making money and a blessing so our leaders made it look like a curse.
The western world's give the money to the citizens and the citizens gives back to the government but ours don't give us a reason to give back to them since they (govt) don't even give to us in first place.

True words
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 12, 2016
Nigeria is under a Crude Oil Nemesis due to its wickedness and satanic foundation.
A country that mudered 3million Igbo Children without any mercy CAN NEVER DEVELOP.. mark it anywhere.
God is not fooled and the Law of Karma is active.
This useless country will continue to be a third world backward joke of a country.

1 Like

Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by Pavore9: 3:59pm On Jun 12, 2016
lt has been beneficial to a select few across the Country.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by mikolo80: 1:17am On Jun 13, 2016
proxillin:
I was just thinking about the unthinkables. What if oil dries up in the Niger delta? That question sounds disturbing and every Nigerians would not want it asked or answered. Its sounds like an end of the world scenerio.

Now let's face this inevitability. You might be saying Niger oil will never dry up. Accepted and agreed.
But we should consider a scenerio where all oil firms run away from Nigeria, due to war or Avenger like happenings. Or If the whole world discovers oil. E.g. American shale oil, new Lagos ocean discovery, chad basin, Kenya and Ghana joining oil producing countries. The way countries are discovering oil and more auto makers are considering chemical and renewable energy e.g Tesla, oil will soon be as cheap as water.

So if it finally happens, are we gonna die ? What are we benefiting from oil as a nation? I am yet to see any. The oil we put in our cars and generating sets is imported. We have been importing fuel since time immemorial. And the crude oil we dig from our soil ? We don't know where the money goes to. Yes we don't ? I personally don't know.

We do not have electricity, where is the money going to?

We do not have good roads, where is the money going to?

There is no secuty, where is the money going to?

No food security or consumer price protection, where is our oyel money going to?

We have bahd bado badest of eduction in the world, where is our oyel money.

I can say it courageously that I have never benefited anything from the crude oil.

I pay for the oil I use...not free and not cheap despite the fact that we have crude oil.

I pay for generating my own electricity

I pay for my health care.

I pay vigilante because we do not have police and security.

Let's consider some countries without crude oil. UK, Japan, China, Germany, India, all European Union have no oil, yet they are the richest and world power. Oil doesn't make any country rich. Oil just make a few people/politicians and cabals rich.

If we drop oil, what will happen?

When they were deliberating on removing oil subsidy, people were doing as if they are gonna die. They removed oil subsidy, yet we are still living. We are still importing our oil just like every other countries without oil.

We are just a bloody oil importer. We don't have refinery.

We should go back to the drawing board, we need to diversify our economy. We are blessed.

What do you think? Do you think we can't survive without crude oil..our oyel
we are not paying serious taxes
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by Leopardd(m): 2:15am On Jun 13, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Nigeria is under a Crude Oil Nemesis due to its wickedness and satanic foundation.
A country that mudered 3million Igbo Children without any mercy CAN NEVER DEVELOP.. mark it anywhere.
God is not fooled and the Law of Karma is active.
This useless country will continue to be a third world backward joke of a country.

Bia makuo m, nwa oma.

Mwah, idi uto.
Re: How Has Oil Benefitted Nigerians? by mrvitalis(m): 6:51am On Jun 13, 2016
I dey come

(1) (Reply)

Crises In Nps Btw The Sw And North Over The Appointment Of The New Cgp / Why I Stand With Buratai - Calito Felipe / How PMB Is Causing Chaos!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.