Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,097 members, 7,863,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:24 AM

Nedlin: My Family Supports Me As A Musician - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nedlin: My Family Supports Me As A Musician (657 Views)

Peter Okoye Deletes How To Book P'square: Says 'My Family Comes First' / Uche Jombo Reacts To Divorce Rumour, Tells Bloggers "Leave My Family Alone" / How To Get The Connections You Need As A Musician (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nedlin: My Family Supports Me As A Musician by Jetworlder(m): 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2016
I was able to get the sizzling and sensational artiste shaking Nigeria’s music industry, “Chinedu ‘Nedlin’ Franklin”. In recent days, his latest musical single and record hit “Eze Ndi Ara” has been making waves in the internet as websites and blogs rush to get the song for their visitors to download. Not long ago before now, it’s quite difficult for upcoming artistes to impress the general Nigeria entertainment lovers with their music if the artiste is not established or member of a popular record label. But, it doesn’t seem to be same with this hit maker.

In this interview with Jetty Jet, Nedlin talks about his life and musical career and what he thinks about the music industry.

*Excerpts*

Jetty: It’s quite a delight to have you around. Good afternoon.
Nedlin: Good afternoon. The pleasure is mine. I feel real delighted too.

Jetty: Can you introduce yourself to my audience?
Nedlin: Sure! My name is Chinedu Franklin known by my stage name Nedlin. I am a Nigerian record singer, song writer and instrumentalist. I am a student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University and I hail from Isuochi in Umunneochi L.G.A Abia State.

Jetty: That’s a nice intro Mr. Nedlin. Good to have you here once again.
Nedlin: (laughs) The pleasure is all mine.

Jetty: So, when and why did you started music?
Nedlin: I started when I was very small. I know I am still small. (laughs) But, there was something spectacular about those days, I just found myself loving music more than any other thing. During Sundays when I go to church, I make sure I sit near the choir singers. The way they sing with passion really fired up my mind. I love music and would love to sing, I told myself. And not long, I made up my mind that I am going to commit myself to music. And that was how it all started. I started it because of the passion I have for music.

Jetty: Wow! Quite an impressive beginning. How did you begin your life in music?
Nedlin: I started with learning how to use instruments.

Jetty: Which instruments do you play?
Nedlin: I can hit the drums very well and currently am learning the guitar.

Jetty: What was the first tune you learnt?
Nedlin: I learnt the key C, in guitar and I equally learnt to beat some various drums patterns.

Jetty: Is your family musical?
Nedlin: My family loves music to the core. But, I seem to be the only one who has musical talent running in me. As much as I am a musician, my family supports me and my career.

Jetty: Interesting. So, what genre are your musical productions?
Nedlin: My productions are based on Afro, R&B, Dancehall and Rap.
Jetty: Is it possible that you could work on another genre like Reggae or Highlife or Worship, maybe an artiste from such genre featured you? (laughs)

Nedlin: (laughs) Why not? If you won’t take it as a brag, I can sing other genres if I am featured in genres I don’t sing. Don’t ask me how possible, I am a musician and I understand that music is an art that is borne within us as an individual, but one has to master it effectively to be able to carve out a niche for himself.

Jetty: Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
Nedlin: I admire Wizkid. I admire him a lot because of the way he started from the bottom and now successful. I see him as a role model as regards to how he began from nothing and progressed to something through hard work.

Jetty: Were you influenced by old records or the modern day jamz?
Nedlin: Eeem. I don’t see myself as being influenced by either of them. I do my thing the way I propose it.

Jetty: What if I disagree with you?
Nedlin: (laughs) Then, I were influenced by both the olden days’ records and the modern jamz.

Jetty: So Nedlin, what are your fondest musical memories?
Nedlin: I still remember vividly the time I used to play drums with kitchen utensils when I was small with other kids. You know those days, we make good sounds with whatever we could find around us. It’s fun and very beautiful. I equally remember the first time I visited the studio to do voicing. Honestly, I was a bit nervous. But my performance that day proved to me that day that I could do this.

Jetty: Anymore?
Nedlin: Yeah. Another memory I cherish so much is when I won my first musical award. It was the happiest thing that happened to me last year, seeing my efforts being appreciated. I was getting invitations to perform at various events and each show is a wonderful memory on its own.

Jetty: Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? Albums?
Nedlin: My favorite musicians are Drake, Wizkid, 2face, Psquare and M.I. My best groups are Psquare and Bracket. And my all time favorite album is "Grass To Grace” composed by 2Face.

Jetty: Have you been in competitions? Any prizes?
Nedlin: Yeah. I participated in the UNIZIK Rap Battle Challenge and I won the competition.

Jetty: How much do you know about music theory?
Nedlin: Well, I don’t seem to know much about music theory. I am not a music entrepreneur to know everything about music theory. I think this question should be answered by the likes of Kenny Keke Ogungbe of Kennis Music or Don Jazzy of Mavin Records. (laughs)

Jetty: (laughs) Okay. Have you been featured in any public performance? Tell us if there is any
Nedlin: Yes, I have been featured in many public performances. I performed at the Anambra Street Carnival, Fellowship of Talents in Imo State, Star Trek 2016 in Awka and other major competitions. One thing that makes me happy about my public performances is the type of support I receive from fans. It’s truly enriching when you give fans the kinda thing they want and they throw back their maximum support to you. It’s a very big delight I think.

Jetty: What about song making? How do you handle mistakes during a production?
Nedlin: When I notice a mistake in any of my productions, l humbly meet my studio manager to complain to him and explain what I wish or how it could have been done. If the mistake is from me, I lower myself to accept corrections and help to make the production appeal to the fans.

Jetty: Do you get nervous during production at the studio or performance?
Nedlin: (laughs) No, I don’t get nervous now. I must confess that when I was not a regular to the studio, I usually get nervous whenever it’s time to put on the headset and sing to the mic. But you see, one thing about life is based on the adage that ‘practice makes perfect’. So, visiting the studio consistently and training helped boost my courage and morale during production or when I am performing in the stage. Right now, I don’t feel nervous anymore.

Jetty: Wow! That’s super cool. That means, Obi is no longer a boy? (laughs)
Nedlin: Exactly! (laughs)

Jetty: What do you think about the Nigerian Music Industry?
Nedlin: The Nigerian music is really developing and keeps improving in a high rate. It’s such a good development I must say. The type of artistes we have in the industry proves that, it’s not a child play. The quality of videos that we have now has improved greatly from what we use to see before. The type of producers and video directors on the helms is something worth to brag for. But one problem I personally distaste is the issue of godfathers or maybe boss-for-life attitude that some people subject artistes in. Such things are not good. And that is why you see record labels springing up like mushrooms. Because, when you treat a musician bad, he leaves your label and flaunt his own. Such things are not really good. If brands and maybe entrepreneurs can look into sponsoring up-coming artistes, our music industry will go higher than it is now.

Jetty: Okay. Do you attend sessions and what do you think makes a good session?
Nedlin: I do attend sessions. I am not perfect and besides, I always think of giving my fans the best of my talent. I think that a good session is one that helps you to generate and control your beat pattern, mastermind your production steps and empower the producer to give you what you will be proud of. An activity like this, to me, makes a good session.

Jetty: How often and for how long do you practice?
Nedlin: I practice two times in a week and any time I am in the studio, most times I practice up to 3 to 4 hours daily.

Jetty: What do you usually practice, new tunes, new beat, lyrical formations etc?
Nedlin: I practice new tunes and sometimes, when I visit the studio for practice, I direct the producer on how the sound formation could seem like to suit what I am practicing. I acknowledge that he has the final say, but during practice, I have such liberty to dictate what sound that is necessary.

Jetty: That’s fantastically smart. Ned, can you teach music to people like me?
Nedlin: What concerns a geek with music education? (laughs) Well, I can teach the little I have learnt to anyone who is willing to learn. Music is an art; anyone interested in music and is determined to learn it must be prepared to commit himself to it. It’s always better if you’re passionate about music, which will make the whole process a lot easier.

Jetty: How do you balance your music with other obligations like mate, education, family, social life etc?
Nedlin: There is time for everything, even the scriptures said it. I designed my mindset in such a way that I don’t have to find myself doing many things at the same time. I map out time for everything. For instance, I always visit the studio mostly during weekends and on my holidays. Then, when I am not in the studio or during sessions, I should be in the lecture hall or participating in any other activity that will benefit my life. My friends and family respect those times I set apart for my music and my career by not engaging me with anything that will distract me. For my family, I do make out time to stay with my family, more especially my siblings. In all that I do for the advancement of my musical career, I don’t allow it to affect my academic life. I live a simple life that ensures I meet up in all my social activities.

Jetty: So, any regrets so far since your career or scandal?
Nedlin: Not at all. I am full of appreciation to God for leading me to this extent and I thank God that to this time, I have not done anything that will warrant any sort of scandal linked to me. I give God all the praise and glory.

Jetty: What inspires your music?
Nedlin: I draw my inspiration from what is happening in the society and about my life experiences.

Jetty: Thank you so much Nedlin for your time, I appreciate your responses. Will be glad to have you next time
Nedlin: Oh! I appreciate a lot for the invitation and for the discussion.
Re: Nedlin: My Family Supports Me As A Musician by Afrok(m): 8:42am On Jun 22, 2016
U don't expect me to read that epistle by an artiste that I don't know, do u? shocked

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING! OJB Jezreel Is Dead! / SEE This Cute Lady / Paul Dawson, Aka Hollywood Hot Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.