Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 (10437 Views)

An Old Article By Femi Adeshina On The Aburi Accord / The Aburi Accord That Wld Have Saved Nigeria From All Her Problems -femi Adesina / Federal Government's Violation Of The Aburi Accord Led To The Nigerian Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by ideykwum: 5:50am On Jun 28, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I commend your attempts to suppress any ethnic profiling from your post. But those comments above did a great disservice to these attempts.

He was just being factual. I think it was your mind that did the profiling.
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by ideykwum: 6:26am On Jun 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

These guys are in Aburi because Ojukwu refused to attend meeting in Lagos, Benin or anywhere else outside East for fear Murtala was hunting to kill him if the opportunity was given.

So how could an Ojukwu, who refused to go to Benin or Lagos or Kano or Markurdi for fear of threat on his life, be issuing promise of protection to another?

Ojukwu is known to make mouth and give flamboyant commitments that cannot be substantiated, his promise of support to Ogundipe should be viewed along the line of similar guarantees of upper hand given to Biafrans who, depending on his words, ended up massacred in a war their General assured was going to be a walk-over victory for Biafra.

You are terribly prejudiced!!!
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Mckennedy: 6:54am On Jun 28, 2016
Truefederalism:

The worst of it all is being wrong and continually insisting that you are right. Posterity always has the final say.
Gowon, after 48years of the civil war and 4years of Ojukwu's demise, came out in 2015 to say that he was sick and couldnt come back as planned, and that as a result of his illness Ojukwu came back before him and broadcasted the wrong information. To him Ojukwu "misinformed Nigerians".

https://www.thecable.ng/gowon-ojukwu-misinformed-nigerians-aburi-accord#comment-481163

Check this link and follow the comments to the end.

I've already watched the video, General Ankra was actually the one that took both ojukwu and Gowon to the airport with his car...so how comes ojukwu left before Jack Gowon?

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by zendy: 7:18am On Jun 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:

These guys are in Aburi because Ojukwu refused to attend meeting in Lagos, Benin or anywhere else outside East for fear Murtala was hunting to kill him if the opportunity was given.

So how could an Ojukwu, who refused to go to Benin or Lagos or Kano or Markurdi for fear of threat on his life, be issuing promise of protection to another?

Ojukwu is known to make mouth and give flamboyant commitments that cannot be substantiated, his promise of support to Ogundipe should be viewed along the line of similar guarantees of upper hand given to Biafrans who, depending on his words, ended up massacred in a war their General assured was going to be a walk-over victory for Biafra.

How did you expect Ojukwu to leave his domain and go to Bini or Lagos? You are only guaranteed safety and protection in your own house, not another man's house.

When we talk about the civil War, we should always remember that Ojukwu went to Aburi to prevent war. But the truth is that the inordinate ambition of the North to control Nigeria is what caused the war. The same problem plagues Nigeria to this very day. The true federalism that Ojukwu got in Aburi which they later rejected is what causing voices dissent all across Nigeria that manifests today in MASSOB, IPOB, Niger Delta Avengers, MEND, MOSSOP etc. The Ghost of Aburi haunts Nigeria 50 years on and the country is not likely to know peace unless that accord is revisited and implemented.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by ideykwum: 7:41am On Jun 28, 2016
ImperialYoruba:
Truefederalism,
Im not sure you have good grasp of events leading to the war.

Ojukwu looked down on his peers and even on some of his superiors. He was of mind, as did many other Ibos at that period, that the phrase "Igbo has no king" must be scaled from the little enclave where it is a belief to the general population of Nigeria and supplanted as an article of faith in our political system. Ibo has no king translates to no one can rule over Ibo.

At the time Ojukwu was pushing for Ogundipe to become Head of State, the Army generally had agreed to relocate soldiers to their origins to serve. Ojukwu had knowledge that Yorubas did not have the numbers in the Army. So it is not a genuine and honest interest, the suggestion of magnanimity in his support for Ogundipe is a farce. Ojukwu had the long vision of Ibo becoming surrogates to Yorubas in the Army. What he didn't know is that Yorubas were ahead of him and were determined to frustrate the vision. Go over the transcript again and notice how the Yoruas at that table kept asking him same question over and over, positioned in different light.

Like i said, Ojukwu was book smart but lacked political wisdom.

...and if I may add, he said at the meeting table he confided in Ogundipe that himself and Ejoor were at the ready and disposed to help him against the mutineers. I suspect Ojukwu saw a look of shock and surprise on Ejoor's face because he then turned to Ejoor and said I meant to bring this to your notice that I offered you to die for Ogundipe.

Can you see how Ojukwu's mind work?

You seem to make up conjectures in your head and express them as fact! Read through what you wrote... objectively.
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:08am On Jun 28, 2016
ideykwum:

He was just being factual. I think it was your mind that did the profiling.

I didn't reply him because of self restraint. Besides I didn't want a meaningless back-and-forth with him, for he was quite gentlemanly with his submission. In any case, his assessments of Ogundipe and Katsina were inaccurate: the only flaw in his analysis. That "Katsina stood his ground" and Ogundipe "cooperated with the mutineers" is almost laughable.

In any case, this topic has been discussed many times on this website...

https://www.nairaland.com/304330/northern-nigerian-military-counter-rebellion-july

https://www.nairaland.com/482611/northern-counter-coup-1966-full-story#6420312

Kindest regards.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 3:32pm On Jun 28, 2016
Mckennedy:

I've already watched the video, General Ankra was actually the one that took both ojukwu and Gowon to the airport with his car...so how comes ojukwu left before Jack Gowon?

Thank you. That question should be for Gowon. I've not watched it. I just read Gowon's interview. Do well to share a link please.
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 3:43pm On Jun 28, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I didn't reply him because of self restraint. Besides I didn't want a meaningless back-and-forth with him, for he was quite gentlemanly with his submission. In any case, his assessments of Ogundipe and Katsina were inaccurate: the only flaw in his analysis. That "Katsina stood his ground" and Ogundipe "cooperated with the mutineers" is almost laughable.

In any case, this topic has been discussed many times on this website...

https://www.nairaland.com/304330/northern-nigerian-military-counter-rebellion-july

https://www.nairaland.com/482611/northern-counter-coup-1966-full-story#6420312

Kindest regards.

Thank you for your approach too, brother. No arguments intended, just statement of facts. Thank you also for rating me "gentlemanly". It takes one to know and regard another.
I have edited that post, I did that almost immediately I saw your reply to it, not that I did not have reasons for using it in the first place but because I don't intend to instigate tribal bashings. I will follow the links and learn too. For now thats all we do, learn.

We all need to do the same. Keep an open mind, read, learn. For tomorrow.
Be blessed.
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Mckennedy: 4:28am On Jun 29, 2016
Truefederalism:

Thank you. That question should be for Gowon. I've not watched it. I just read Gowon's interview. Do well to share a link please.

Here's the video link, listen to both sides of the stories. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1131036906955577&id=100001478347236
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by mmanwuijele: 4:44am On Oct 28, 2021
Bump. All, come and educate yourselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari To Travel To Niger Republic With Three Governors / Saraki, A Case Of Political Injustice / 72.7 Million PVCs Collected - INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.