Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 (10446 Views)

An Old Article By Femi Adeshina On The Aburi Accord / The Aburi Accord That Wld Have Saved Nigeria From All Her Problems -femi Adesina / Federal Government's Violation Of The Aburi Accord Led To The Nigerian Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Dannidom(m): 1:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
Front page please let's all see who and who made the wrong chess move

4 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Feraz(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2016
Truefederalism:

The worst of it all is being wrong and continually insisting that you are right. Posterity always has the final say.
Gowon, after 48years of the civil war and 4years of Ojukwu's demise, came out in 2015 to say that he was sick and couldnt come back as planned, and that as a result of his illness Ojukwu came back before him and broadcasted the wrong information. To him Ojukwu "misinformed Nigerians".

https://www.thecable.ng/gowon-ojukwu-misinformed-nigerians-aburi-accord#comment-481163

Check this link and follow the comments to the end.

shocked shocked

It is good the records are beginning to come out straight on this. What I am still puzzled about is why the other officers did not come out to say what they agreed on at Aburi. I was even ignorant of the fact that all the regions - about six or so were represented, yet, it looked like it was just Ojukwu and Gowon.

7 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2016
Feraz:
shocked shocked

It is good the records are beginning to come out straight on this. What I am still puzzled about is why the other officers did not come out to say what they agreed on at Aburi. I was even ignorant of the fact that all the regions - about six or so were represented, yet, it looked like it was just Ojukwu and Gowon.

They also did not refute or counter Ojukwu's broadcast.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by chernest2002: 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2016
We've swept so many trash under the carpet which must be addressed if we must move forward and is not too late to address.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 13, 2016
The officer from nnewi and his handlers performed brilliantly. We wouldn't have ended up with the likes of IBB,buhari,obj and the rest if some of his submissions were put into action.

At this point of our nations life a round table like this is imperative as we need to renegotiate our union for good.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by JoSaintiago: 12:08am On Jun 14, 2016
Awolowo and the britain ill advised gowon,u knw a northerner must be a northerner ,fake idiots and some yorubas officers dnt knw dat dey can persist on d agrement ,they all sabotage the effort and make ojukwu an scapegoat,if Biafra comes hausas shud drill dem,cowards

3 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by ImperialYoruba: 3:55am On Jun 14, 2016
After reading everything in this revelation it left me with some ponderings:

1. The first usage of "Supreme Military Commander" was suggested and adopted by Easterners as a befitting title for Aguiyi Ironsi. This came about in two successive waves.

First, young Ibo Army officers carried out a coup and wiped out the top political and military class of Yoruba and Hausa groups.

Second, Ibos in Federal Cabinet assisted by trigger happy Ibo military officers toppled the statutory chain of command and installed Aguiyi Ironsi forcefully against complaint from Northerners.

This was the marker point for misuse of power, authority, command, title and betrayal.

Ojukwu had no moral ground pushing for Ogundipe or Adebayo to succeed Ironsi ahead of Gowon. Neither does he have the credibility to argue against centralization or the use of Supreme Military Commander as a title for Gowon, when he had served contented for six months under a centralized power commanded unilaterally by Ironsi, the now dead Supreme Military Commander.

Ojukwu had no sincerity in his demands.

When told trust between the regions must be restored by not separating top echelon of command he agreed wholeheartedly. When faced with the position of taking orders from Lagos he refused and deferred back to the claim that Easterners had no trust in anything outside the East. No one is talking about Easterners, the point is centered on command.

He was not bold enough to admit that he, the Governor of East had lost faith in the center and wanted full autonomy, he instead kept using Easterners, repeatedly, as shield.

I believe the July 67 mutiny was our first war. This excerpts reveal a lot, to include events that were not documented here but are nonetheless incidental to the decisions of relocation of Northern officers from West.

It is informative to learn that Hassan Katsina, a Northern officer, Governor and prince of the Katsina emirate was ordered insurbordinately and at gun point by a Sergeant of Northern origin to step out of his way. What chance, really, does Ogundipe or Johnson has bringing the Northern soldiers under control? None! Yorubas were sending their children to London to study Law, Business, Medicine, when Hausa and Ibo children were going to Zaria to enlist in Army, hence the imbalance in Yoruba headcount in the Army. When it became very important to stand guard on our frontiers we were lacking in numbers.

Yoruba had a good reason to be afraid. In hindsight one can give great credits to Awolowo for his restraints and cautions against hostilities in Yorubaland.

While Ojukwu had a somewhat good understanding of the dynamics, he greatly lacked in leadership skills. He had the Federal side by their balls but he was not a good politician, otherwise Biafra would have actualized with far less in losses.

In another dimension, after the war had started, he successfully got Biafra and should have contained the territories and positioned Federal government as adversaries of the multi national oil interests and investments in the Delta. Instead he left the oil companies freedom to negotiate rights of access with Nigeria. This miscalculation, amongst many others were contributory to the fierce assault launched from the coast to displace and demolish anything Biafra floating or sailing on water and riverines.

So sad!

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by KissCODE(m): 8:23am On Jun 14, 2016
JoSaintiago:
Awolowo and the britain ill advised gowon,u knw a northerner must be a northerner ,fake idiots and some yorubas officers dnt knw dat dey can persist on d agrement ,they all sabotage the effort and make ojukwu an scapegoat,if Biafra comes hausas shud drill dem,cowards
not Awolowo but the late Oba of Benin. It was the late Oba that told Gowon that he gave away so much at Aburi that he should have a change of mind.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 9:02am On Jun 14, 2016
ImperialYoruba:
After reading everything in this revelation it left me with some ponderings:

1. The first usage of "Supreme Military Commander" was suggested and adopted by Easterners as a befitting title for Aguiyi Ironsi. This came about in two successive waves.

First, young Ibo Army officers carried out a coup and wiped out the top political and military class of Yoruba and Hausa groups.

Second, Ibos in Federal Cabinet assisted by trigger happy Ibo military officers toppled the statutory chain of command and installed Aguiyi Ironsi forcefully against complaint from Northerners.

This was the marker point for misuse of power, authority, command, title and betrayal.

Ojukwu had no moral ground pushing for Ogundipe or Adebayo to succeed Ironsi ahead of Gowon. Neither does he have the credibility to argue against centralization or the use of Supreme Military Commander as a title for Gowon, when he had served contented for six months under a centralized power commanded unilaterally by Ironsi, the now dead Supreme Military Commander.

Ojukwu had no sincerity in his demands.

When told trust between the regions must be restored by not separating top echelon of command he agreed wholeheartedly. When faced with the position of taking orders from Lagos he refused and deferred back to the claim that Easterners had no trust in anything outside the East. No one is talking about Easterners, the point is centered on command.

He was not bold enough to admit that he, the Governor of East had lost faith in the center and wanted full autonomy, he instead kept using Easterners, repeatedly, as shield.

I believe the July 67 mutiny was our first war. This excerpts reveal a lot, to include events that were not documented here but are nonetheless incidental to the decisions of relocation of Northern officers from West.

It is informative to learn that Hassan Katsina, a Northern officer, Governor and prince of the Katsina emirate was ordered insurbordinately and at gun point by a Sergeant of Northern origin to step out of his way. What chance, really, does Ogundipe or Johnson has bringing the Northern soldiers under control? None! Yorubas were sending their children to London to study Law, Business, Medicine, when Hausa and Ibo children were going to Zaria to enlist in Army, hence the imbalance in Yoruba headcount in the Army. When it became very important to stand guard on our frontiers we were lacking in numbers.

Yoruba had a good reason to be afraid. In hindsight one can give great credits to Awolowo for his restraints and cautions against hostilities in Yorubaland.

While Ojukwu had a somewhat good understanding of the dynamics, he greatly lacked in leadership skills. He had the Federal side by their balls but he was not a good politician, otherwise Biafra would have actualized with far less in losses.

In another dimension, after the war had started, he successfully got Biafra and should have contained the territories and positioned Federal government as adversaries of the multi national oil interests and investments in the Delta. Instead he left the oil companies freedom to negotiate rights of access with Nigeria. This miscalculation, amongst many others were contributory to the fierce assault launched from the coast to displace and demolish anything Biafra floating or sailing on water and riverines.

So sad!

Errmmm, I will try hard to not see your comment as prompted by resentment or somewhat misunderstanding of the text. Do not blame me. It's written all over it. You tried not to, but you based your analysis almost on Ojukwu.

I loved your take on the Yoruba stand, that is, within the army, and their justified withdrawal from an imminent face-off with the Northern faction. That is understandably justified, but only in a situation where the Yoruba does not see the East as capable of productive alliance.
This goes a long way to explain the origins of our travails in the south today.
Ojukwu assured Ogundipe of the East's support, and even midwest. What else did I miss?

The issue here was not cowardice per say, it was trust. The issue was not numbers, it was a problem of who to enter into alliance with, the gun or the truth?

You cannot fiegn ignorance on the reason why Ojukwu clamored for a titular Commander-in-chief (which we ended up adopting as a nation) in place of Supreme Commander, the reasons were clear, he was gunning for a 'military democracy' as someone put it, or true federalism as we know it today, and having a SUPREME COMMANDER defeats all its intents and purposes.

He was the leader of the east and had gone there as a representative of the east. Let us not twist facts to make a person look bad. He was doing the bidding of the East; a people whose civilian and military population had just faced pogrom and mutiny in a very wierd manner.

No easterner at that time, and till this moment, trusts and regards the federal government, and at that time, the military.

If the army couldnt live in one barrack as they agreed and we do, what then is the function of a supreme commander who does not command loyalty from the general troops? Or was the army in the east considered inconsequential?

Ojukwu made it clear there, it was not about Gowon. He insisted on the right approach and due process within the army alright, but it was not about Gowon.
He was looking into the future when some people were looking at their ranks, and he turned out to be a prophet.

I wouldnt want to go into the issue of Igbo Coup or not.

But know this, as at the time of this meeting Aguiyi was still officially missing and any sensible person, not a tribalist or some kind of bigot, should have held Gowon in acting capacity, even as he was wrongly "picked".
That was what Ojukwu did.

You refered to the coup in your analysis, and how it favored the Igbo and how Ojukwu kept quiet, but you forgot that all through that meeting Ojukwu did not go back into the mistakes of that Ironsi regime. None in attendance did. Most of those present were proposing solutions to the current crises and not how it came about. Ojukwu was one of them.

He had this to say at a later date,

"It is said that the 1966 coup that failed was strictly an Igbo coup, but then the irony of history is that it was the late General Aguiyi Ironsi, an Igbo who single-handedly dismantled the coup in Lagos, while my humble self, another Igbo-man rendered it immobile in the north.” ~Ojukwu
http://obindigbo.com.ng/2016/01/10-unforgettable-quotes-of-late-biafran-leader-odumegwu-ojukwu/

You talked about Igbos carrying out the first coup, do you also know who caused the coup, the western house and the wild wild west?
Bro, lets just calm down and discuss the prevailing matter.

By the way, there is this thing I tell my Igbo friends.

I am of the opinion that the East does not know how to be tribalistic (maybe this is the result of practicing democracy throughout the prehistoric periods and precolonial era, and up until now).

Go through Nigerian history and see for yourself. Look at the antecedents of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Aguiyi Ironsi, Ojukwu, and Goodluck Jonathan, they all behaved like it was their sole right to be nationalists, like it was their particualar prerogative to care for the entity called Nigeria, even ahead of their kin.
Where people preached tribalism they shouted nationalistic values, and that trend continues even today.

I think that is the problem of this country, it is either we all come out together and practice full tribalism or we all join hands and become true nationalists, all of us. There must be balance.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by KissCODE(m): 9:04am On Jun 14, 2016
ImperialYoruba

This is where Nigeria is not being fair to us the young ones. They deleted history from our story therefore we dont know for sure what our past “is“ like.

1: I dont know where you read that it was Easterners that said Ironsi should be called Supreme Commander.
2: Aguiyi Ironsi was already a General & therefore highest ranked Nigerian military officer then.
3: Ojukwu & Gowon are of the same rank, and it is not done in the military for someone that have the same rank with you to be ur supreme commander.
4: Ojukwu & Gowon were not part of the coup of January 15 that brought them to power. Both came to government by providence.
5: Ojukwu has moral ground to ask Ogundipe who was the most ranked officer to take over government because that was exactly how Aguiyi came into power. Because Aguiyi was not part of Nzeogwu‘s coup, he found himself there after the coup was foiled because he was the most ranked officer.
6: The leader of January 15 coup Major Nzeogwu was not an Easterner he is from Mid-West & most of the ranks & file that took part in that failed coup were from Midwest (today‘s Delta & Edo).
7: Dont you see what Ojukwu was fighting against what kills you and i today. Is our military not corrupt & weak because they have been more politisezd?
8: Gowon and his friends tagged a coup led by someone from Mid-Western Nigeria Igbo coup & went ahead to kill Easterners. Leaving the people that killed their man to fight someone else because they dont like their presence in their place.

Note: that in today‘s Nigeria, you and your Yoruba media brothers tell An Igbo man from River & Delta state that he is not Igbo. But in 1966 you people called the same man Igbo so that you can have enough evidence to kill an Igbo man from the East.

Finally: Americans talks about their civil war. They make movies from it. Their children learn from it. But here in Nigeria. The Hausa & Yoruba man hide our history from us. Gowon & other past military governments made sure that we dont have a trace of our past.
Thats Too bad.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by KissCODE(m): 9:25am On Jun 14, 2016
TrueFederalism I think the challenge ImperialYoruba have here is based on what he was fed over time. I just wished Gowon can really open up & break the oat of secrecy the northern soldeirs entered into before murdering Aguiyi.

Theophilus Danjuma & Gowon owes unborn generation stories of their past. Anyway.

Imagine if we had gone back to what Nigeria used to be till January 15 1966.
I am sure we have more groundnut pyramids & even tomato basket pyramids in the north.
We would have had more cocao and even cofee from the west.
Palm oil & coal would not have been a thing of the past.
Thanks to Northern soldeirs who saw oil and stopped every other thing & set us towards the part of DEATH with mono economy.
I thank Gowon & Murtala they really did very well.
Posterity shall judge all of us all.

NIGERIA MUST BE RESTRUCTURED or in the next 20years we will still be here talking about this.
God forbid sha

6 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 9:37am On Jun 14, 2016
KissCODE:
ImperialYoruba
This is where Nigeria is not being fair to us the young ones. They deleted history from our story therefore we dont know for sure what our past “is“ like.

Finally: Americans talks about their civil war. They make movies from it. Their children learn from it. But here in Nigeria. The Hausa & Yoruba man hide our history from us. Gowon & other past military governments made sure that we dont have a trace of our past.
Thats Too bad.

You know, this is another angle to this.
I always tell people that the greatest mistake Nigeria made was going to war with the East, killing them for three good years plus casualties on the federal side, and then accepting them again into the fold.

Not only did we do this but we deliberately hid history of this war from school curricular and public consumption.

When you do this, you only succeed in letting the victim narrate his side of the story to his children, a side that will only reaffirm the victim perspective and ensure unending agitations over and over.

Nigeria has either been confused for a long while or we've not been able to produce leaders who think.
We need to sit and talk!

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by hopilo: 10:02am On Jun 14, 2016
I watched a documentary that has this Aburi meeting in it, From the Video you will see distrust in Ojukuw's face while Gowon was busy smiling about when Ankarah made the two to share a plate of food and a glass of water.

I have the video but l don't know how to post it here using IPad

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Feraz(m): 10:07am On Jun 14, 2016
hopilo:
I watched a documentary that has this Aburi meeting in it, From the Video you will see distrust in Ojukuw's face while Gowon was busy smiling about when Ankarah made the two to share a plate of food and a glass of water.

Real story of Nigeria? There was a time the video was removed from YouTUBE, don't know if the video is there again.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 10:17am On Jun 14, 2016
hopilo:

Please do find a way to upload it here for all to see. It's very important.

Or you can send it to zega2unit@yahoo.com. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by hopilo: 10:19am On Jun 14, 2016
Truefederalism:

Ok
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by DoyenExchange: 10:20am On Jun 14, 2016
Hmmm
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by attackgat: 10:39am On Jun 14, 2016
Ironsi was killed in July 1966 but it took the Aburi meeting for the Government to make a formal announcement that Ironsi had died and released his body to be buried. The Government has always tried to cover the events leading up the was because they knew that if the younger generation analysed the events from the Aburi meeting to the declaration of Biafra, they would see that the problem was not Ojukwu but the power greedy North. Good thing that Ojukwu insisted that the meeting should be recorded.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Feraz(m): 2:09pm On Jun 14, 2016
KissCODE:
TrueFederalism I think the challenge ImperialYoruba have here is based on what he was fed over time. I just wished Gowon can really open up & break the oat of secrecy the northern soldeirs entered into before murdering Aguiyi.
T
I doubt the above happening. Most of these our leaders enjoy taking the truth with them to the grave.

3 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 3:14pm On Jun 14, 2016
Truefederalism:

The issue here was not cowardice per say, it was trust. The issue was not numbers, it was a problem of who to enter into alliance with, the gun or the truth?

Hassan Katsina saw the gun and stood his ground, even as he allowed the officer to proceed.
Ogundipe and Johnson saw the gun and decided to align with it against due process...

...I am of the opinion that the East does not know how to be tribalistic (maybe this is the result of practicing democracy throughout the prehistoric periods and precolonial era, and up until now)...

I commend your attempts to suppress any ethnic profiling from your post. But those comments above did a great disservice to these attempts.
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 3:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2013/09/06/how-yakubu-gowon-caused-the-nigeria-biafra-war

(Araba): Intent Of Northern Secession And the British Government Advice That Changed the equation

The propaganda of Nigerian unity for which Yakubu Gowon and his goons premised their war was patently false for the simple reason that the Northern counter-coup christened “Araba” which means separation in Hausa language was a secessionist coup originally intended to finally break the North from Nigeria. Indeed the flag of the new republic had already been hoisted preparatory to the announcement of secession by the North. Yakubu Gowon informed the then British high commissioner Sir Cumming Bruce of the intention of the North to secede and it was the British in line with their imperialist interests that advised against Northern secession and made strident efforts to dissuade the North from seceding.

In his book “The Biafran War” Micheal Gould p.43 stated: “Cumming –Bruce was able to persuade the Emirs that secession would be an economic disaster”. As the British high commissioner Sir Cumming Bruce himself testified p.43 “it wasn’t on the face of it easy to get them (the North) to change, but I managed to do it overnight. I drafted letters to the British Prime Minister, to send to Gowon as Nigerian Head of State, and for my Secretary of State (Micheal Stewart) to send letters to each of the Emirs. I wrote an accompanying letter to each of them because I knew them personally. I drafted all these and they all came back to me duly authorised to push at once. The whole thing was done overnight and it did the trick of stopping them (the North) dividing Nigeria up.”

From the testimony of the then British high commissioner Sir Cumming Bruce in regards to the effort he made to persuade the North not to secede, the deceit, propaganda and opportunism of Yakubu Gowon and his crowd as they lied through their teeth in their false claim of fighting for Nigerian unity when in reality they had originally intended to secede and only changed their mind on the prompting of the British government becomes self evident.

For all the false propaganda spewed to prosecute the needless war and the consequent tragic bloodletting, the British high commissioner’s testimony proves that Yakubu Gowon and the North were never genuine or interested in Nigerian unity. They were only opportunists who turned around to claim one Nigeria because of economic interests linked to crude oil which remains the reality of their presence in Nigeria to date. Had Yakubu Gowon and the North spared us the lie and kept their original plan to secede, the nation would have been better for it as more manageable homogenous units would have emerged and the nation would have been spared the needless conflict that was fought on the great lie of Nigerian unity.

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 3:44pm On Jun 14, 2016
Volksfuhrer:

I commend your attempts to suppress any ethnic profiling from your post. But those comments above did a great disservice to these attempts.

Sorry if they did. It wasnt intended, though true.

1 Like

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2016
Good to see the father or modern computer Philip Emeagwali has a huge data base for Biafra and also a social website to complement it http://biafra.info/.

Sir Emeagwali am a huge Fan.
Your Wisdom so far has made me to understand that Africa is where they are today because the Europeans told them they are dull and some accepted especially those that place religion high and ignored Education.

Keep making Igbo race proud.

Ibu nwa nna ya muru ofuma.

i wish i can have part of your intellect

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by KissCODE(m): 5:18pm On Jun 14, 2016
Feraz:
I doubt the above happening. Most of these our leaders enjoy taking the truth with them to the grave.
that is why we will keep hearing of militancy, fulani cowmen, and other sectional agitations.
It is when we know the truth that true healing can really take place.

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by KissCODE(m): 5:43pm On Jun 14, 2016
Feraz:
Real story of Nigeria? There was a time the video was removed from YouTUBE, don't know if the video is there again.
Nigeria dont want us to know about Biafra & the civil war.
I got to know much about Biafra & the civil war because I grew up in another country. There i came incontact with informations that still bring tears to my eyes 20years after.
It is hurting. My tribe has been accused of many sins against Nigerian nation & all are lies. Noone wants to rewrite the story and tellus the “real“ truth.

I still wonder if there are other tribes in Nigeria that love Nigeria more than Igbo man. Igbo men buy land anywhere they wish in Nigeria and build houses there.
They grow economies of their hosts. But even the richest black man does not have a cement “deport“ anywhere in Igboland. The people that use cement more in Nigeria apart from construction companies are the Igbos in the East.
Because the build so much even in this economic crunch.
My point is this: I love Nigeria & my Igbo brothers love Nigeria. We believe & practice “live & let others live.“
Nigeria should go back to what it was before January 14th 1966 and 89% of our problem as a nation will be over.

History should be told the way it is and true healing will naturaly take place.

Restruction & true federalism is what we NEED.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 5:45pm On Jun 14, 2016
"when the pogrom/genocide of 1966-67 demonstrated beyond all reasonable doubts the impossibility of Nigeria, the legal route under international law as enshrined in the United Nations charter was to hold a plebiscite or referendum to determine by democratic means the choice of the majority as it concerns self determination for Biafra.

That route would have solved the problem in a legal and civilised manner as “no war no matter how desirable for the purpose of keeping a nation together is justifiable.” It defies all logic and natural justice to kill people in other to keep them in a nation. It is like killing a woman’s children in order to forcefully keep her in a marriage from which she seeks to exit. Freedom and self determinatin are inalienable God given rights and nations must be constructed and preserved through democratic consent and not through the barrel of a gun. Any act otherwise, to forcefully create or preserve a nation without the democratic consent of the indigenous peoples is an act of colonialism.

Every ethnic group within the Nigerian geographical expression ordinarily retains the same right for which we struggled for independence from the British colonial government. It is thus a usurpation of the right to self determination and independence for any group or groups within Nigeria to wage war or forcefully coerce another into the nation against their will. To that extent the war against Biafra must be understood for what it really was; a war of aggression and colonialism.

As the truth of the conflict continues to emerge and as the nationwide campaign for a sovereign national conference gathers steam in a nation that has been awakened to the lie of Nigerian unity, Emeka Ojukwu has been vindicated by Nigeria’s increasing strife, failure and impossibility as a nation. Yakubu Gowon was ultimately an unprincipled, incompetent, bigoted and opportunistic leader whose failure of leadership unleashed the pogroms and unnecessary war that spilled enough blood to fill the bowels of the Niger River. He and his cabinet members who so callously plunged the nation into an atrocious bloodletting will have to live and die with their conscience haunted by the millions of lives they took on the premise of a great lie."

~Lawrence Chinedu Nwobu

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/blog/index.php/2013/09/06/how-yakubu-gowon-caused-the-nigeria-biafra-war

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 5:53pm On Jun 14, 2016
I even heard today that Nigerian undergraduates and those who study history in Nigerian universities are not taught anything on the Biafran war.

What nonsense!

This is definitely deliberate!

Remove it from primary school,
Same with secondary schools,
Worse now is the Universities, even history courses?

So much for war of unity. So much good faith. So much for the 3 Rs. So much for our standard and quality of Education!

You only hide an act when it cannot be justified. What are they not telling us??
What sort of country is this?

3 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by hopilo: 7:22pm On Jun 14, 2016
Truefederalism:

You got the video, create a topic and post it on Nairaland
Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by capip120(m): 8:13pm On Jun 14, 2016
Truefederalism:

Errmmm, I will try hard to not see your comment as prompted by resentment or somewhat misunderstanding of the text. Do not blame me. It's written all over it. You tried not to, but you based your analysis almost on Ojukwu.

I loved your take on the Yoruba stand, that is, within the army, and their justified withdrawal from an imminent face-off with the Northern faction. That is understandably justified, but only in a situation where the Yoruba does not see the East as capable of productive alliance.
This goes a long way to explain the origins of our travails in the south today.
Ojukwu assured Ogundipe of the East's support, and even midwest. What else did I miss?

You cannot fiegn ignorance on the reason why Ojukwu clamored for a titular Commander-in-chief (which we ended up adopting as a nation) in place of Supreme Commander, the reasons were clear, he was gunning for a 'military democracy' as someone put it, or true federalism as we know it today, and having a SUPREME COMMANDER defeats all its intents and purposes.

He was the leader of the east and had gone there as a representative of the east. Let us not twist facts to make a person look bad. He was doing the bidding of the East; a people whose civilian and military population had just faced pogrom and mutiny in a very wierd manner.

No easterner at that time, and till this moment, trusts and regards the federal government, and at that time, the military.

If the army couldnt live in one barrack as they agreed and we do, what then is the function of a supreme commander who does not command loyalty from the general troops? Or was the army in the east considered inconsequential?

Ojukwu made it clear there, it was not about Gowon. He insisted on the right approach and due process within the army alright, but it was not about Gowon.
He was looking into the future when some people were looking at their ranks, and he turned out to be a prophet.

I wouldnt want to go into the issue of Igbo Coup or not.

But know this, as at the time of this meeting Aguiyi was still officially missing and any sensible person, not a tribalist or some kind of bigot, should have held Gowon in acting capacity, even as he was wrongly "picked".
That was what Ojukwu did.

You refered to the coup in your analysis, and how it favored the Igbo and how Ojukwu kept quiet, but you forgot that all through that meeting Ojukwu did not go back into the mistakes of that Ironsi regime. None in attendance did. Most of those present were proposing solutions to the current crises and not how it came about. Ojukwu was one of them.

He had this to say at a later date,

"It is said that the 1966 coup that failed was strictly an Igbo coup, but then the irony of history is that it was the late General Aguiyi Ironsi, an Igbo who single-handedly dismantled the coup in Lagos, while my humble self, another Igbo-man rendered it immobile in the north.” ~Ojukwu
http://obindigbo.com.ng/2016/01/10-unforgettable-quotes-of-late-biafran-leader-odumegwu-ojukwu/

You talked about Igbos carrying out the first coup, do you also know who caused the coup, the western house and the wild wild west?
Bro, lets just calm down and discuss the prevailing matter.

By the way, there is this thing I tell my Igbo friends.

I am of the opinion that the East does not know how to be tribalistic (maybe this is the result of practicing democracy throughout the prehistoric periods and precolonial era, and up until now).

Go through Nigerian history and see for yourself. Look at the antecedents of Nnamdi Azikiwe, Aguiyi Ironsi, Ojukwu, and Goodluck Jonathan, they all behaved like it was their sole right to be nationalists, like it was their particualar prerogative to care for the entity called Nigeria, even ahead of their kin.
Where people preached tribalism they shouted nationalistic values, and that trend continues even today.

I think that is the problem of this country, it is either we all come out together and practice full tribalism or we all join hands and become true nationalists, all of us. There must be balance.
You are such an intelligent prodigy in understanding and dissecting situations to the understanding of people. You were very articulate in your write up and I can't but shed tears of happiness that someone like you still exist.The thing is that many Nigerians are I'll informed about the war and the effort Ojukwu made to settle scores on both sides. Most of them don't even know what the 'Aburi Accord' was. In fact they believe Ojukwu was the one that declared war on the Federal Government. The truth is coming out and it is there for all who have eyes to see.

4 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by Truefederalism(m): 8:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
capip120:

You are such an intelligent prodigy in understanding and dissecting situations to the understanding of people. You were very articulate in your write up and I can't but shed tears of happiness that someone like you still exist.The thing is that many Nigerians are I'll informed about the war and the effort Ojukwu made to settle scores on both sides. Most of them don't even know what the 'Aburi Accord' was. In fact they believe Ojukwu was the one that declared war on the Federal Government. The truth is coming out and it is there for all who have eyes to see.

Thank you. It is a truth we collectively owe posterity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by TheFreeOne: 11:18pm On Jun 14, 2016
It's so unfortunate that the Aburi accord was jettisoned hence our present situation.

My respect to Ojukwu for his understanding the dynamics and bold suggestions like a prophet who saw tomorrow.

They all have their fears at that period which borders on trust but we can't wish away our past, and until we correct the errors we'll still be sounding like a broken record decades from now.

RESTRUCTURING IS THE SOLUTION.

2 Likes

Re: TRANSCRIPT From The Tape Recordings Of The Aburi Meeting, January 5-7, 1967 by IamJames: 8:39am On Jun 15, 2016
This should be making front page.
Quite revealing and enlightening.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Content Of The Rice Donated By FG To Oyo State (graphics Pics) / Jonathan Proposes 7-year Single Term / Igbo President?. But Ojukwu Contested In 2003 and 2007

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.