Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? (5082 Views)

I Will Write You Unique Contents Of Up To 500 Words For $5 / What Makes A Good Blog - 5 Things You Should Know / To Become A Very Good Web Designer, What Do I Need To Study And Where? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by smartsoft(m): 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2009
Everyone design website, everyone claims he/she is a designer. i wanna know what make you diffrent from others,u is it the way you design, your choice of colours, programming or what ? what really makes you unique as a designer.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
In essence, you are asking for our Unique Selling Point.

Mine:
The fact that I don't compromise quality (code structure, cross-browser compatibility, page weight/load time, etc). Sure you might pay a little bit more but isn't that extra money worth your peace of mind? tongue cool cool tongue
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by smartsoft(m): 7:01pm On Aug 28, 2009
(USP) Well if you put it that way every brand everywhere has a USP just like Biggs and Tasty Fried Chicken they both have USP oooo so just asking now what is your own kinda USP
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by TechPros(m): 9:41am On Aug 29, 2009
for me its a unique and attractive website at an affordable price, at least i never charge 500,000 for site. wink
come o Uche when u go say ur own
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by inf8nity(m): 1:35pm On Aug 29, 2009
Details details and more details wink
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by Cactus(m): 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2009
Depending on specs 500 000 naira is not much.

I am not a designer. I don't do much web development. But if I have to do web development, I will not call myself a designer. Many people call themselves designers but they may actually be developers.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 2:21pm On Aug 29, 2009
Cactus:

Yep, thus downgrading themselves and their prices in the process. I just a conversation with a house guest. I told her what I do for a living and she said, "Oh, you are a designer?". I immediately, out of instinct, damning the consequences, said, "no, I am a developer but I also design when I have to".

Folks, no the difference in terminology and be proud of what you do.

'nuff said.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by inf8nity(m): 2:48pm On Aug 29, 2009
@ cactus and yawa-ti-de
I think designer = layout and presentation .Programmer = codes. While developer = designer+programmer.

1 Like

Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by smartsoft(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2009
You guys don't DV8 from the question above, when you ask me what do i do, i simply tell you am an ART - DIRECTOR. what do they do ? google that yourself lol
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
inf8inity:
In my neck of the woods, a developer doesn't do design. Sure, he/she might be able to open up photoshop and move things around here and there but that's about it. In other words, they don't come up with anything from scratch as far as design goes. A web developer is one who combines XHTML, CSS, Javascript (including AJAX) and one of the many back end languages (Ruby, php, jsp, etc).

smart:
DV8? Pretty good short form. I love it grin

On a serious note, I don't think you can just google art director and come up with a definitive answer. It differs based on company and location. For example, based on how I understand it, it means you have a group of people working for you. In other words, you are more of an administrator than an actual worker. Would this be the case?

I know in naija, we are very much into titles. Personally, I don't care if you call me an ass-wiper. As long as you pay me what the free market commands, it is all good.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by smartsoft(m): 1:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
Thats the real definition over there in the US but here in naija, you can't find such thing, now when i say art directing, can be web, prin design, press design all kinda design. you need to be in charge and direct everyfin. But here in Nigeria, you will see the art director doing the job of a graphic artist, all combined. Well for me anyway i do but graphics and web and wotever design you might fink of. what makes me unique well its up to the clients or friends to tell you what makes you kinda different.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by quadrillio(m): 2:19pm On Sep 01, 2009
mine is
the fact that am ready to learn any web technology that that is aim at perfecting my projects, to give my clients d best.

SAFE
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by no21: 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2009
smartsoft:

Everyone design website, everyone claims he/she is a designer. i wanna know what make you diffrent from others,u is it the way you design, your choice of colours, programming or what ? what really makes you unique as a designer.

who and who claims they are designers ?
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 5:05pm On Sep 01, 2009
smartsoft:
As I said, definitions differ from place to place. Also, it is up to you to have a USP and not for your clients to define it for you. They don't know you more than you know yourself. A USP is what you use to win a deal, not a recommendation you get after a deal.

quad:
I stand corrected, but I think this isn't a good USP - you can't learn it all. You do what you can and pick up as you go along. Even if you could learn it all, you couldn't master them all.

I think you should revise perhaps to, "I will do whatever it takes to make sure that you are totally satisfied" and let the client define that for themselves. I think the way I have it (I stand corrected) speaks volumes in and of itself.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by smartsoft(m): 6:29pm On Sep 01, 2009
s i m p l e
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by rufaai(m): 12:45am On Sep 02, 2009
Well; my designs are unique why because:

1) I take into consideration; clients taste fully noted.

2) I optimize client's taste to suite the modern web sites; like load time, catchy interface and fully editable programming (PHP) with comment lines.

3) On demand, I do make SEO on websites I design.

4) Finally, user gets hosting for free!

Thats all from http://www.aimtechng.com
Portfolio include (http://ahmadmukoshy.com, http://nairaparking.com and http://danfodites.com) SMYLE wink

LATE REPLY FOR POSTS BELLOW: http://elbashirsurgicals.com was tweaked from the original design by the owner who knows nothing about web design; so don't blame of its bad looks. It ain't my work again! @Alleno
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by alleno: 1:45am On Sep 02, 2009
Too much talk, after posting comments, please post website address, thats the only way we can ascertain your claims of
No need to post all your stories here, sha post your website or most recent job, we have eyes to see from there,

STAY ALIVE
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by alleno: 1:53am On Sep 02, 2009
Aimtech

http://www.elbashirsurgical.com/ - Won't criticize yet, but this is not nice on so many levels
This is an example of what i am saying, It will also be nice to state what your level as a designer or programmer is (Advanced, Beginner, or Intermediate), That will definitely help when we want to give constructive criticisms, Thanks all

rufaai:

Well; my designs are unique why because:

1) I take into consideration; clients taste fully noted.

2) I optimize client's taste to suite the modern web sites; like load time, catchy interface and fully editable programming (PHP) with comment lines.

3) On demand, I do make SEO on websites I design.

4) Finally, user gets hosting for free!
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by rasputinn(m): 6:53am On Sep 02, 2009
Cactus:

Depending on specs 500 000 naira is not much.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by quadrillio(m): 9:16am On Sep 02, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

quad:
I stand corrected, but I think this isn't a good USP - you can't learn it all. You do what you can and pick up as you go along. Even if you could learn it all, you couldn't master them all.

I think you should revise perhaps to, "I will do whatever it takes to make sure that you are totally satisfied" and let the client define that for themselves. I think the way I have it (I stand corrected) speaks volumes in and of itself.
Thanks for that.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 9:53am On Sep 02, 2009
rufaai,

I think a USP should be simple,short and sharp. Imagine yourself in an elevator with a millionaire. You are on the 1st floor and he is getting off at the 2nd while you are getting off at the 3rd. How would you explain what makes you unique in 5 seconds or less? That, my friend, is how concise a USP should be.

Good luck!
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by mreds: 10:48am On Sep 02, 2009
@yawa ti de
Do u tutor people, i need to perfect my web development skills and it's urgent.
Thanks
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by Nezan(m): 11:11am On Sep 02, 2009
I need 2 learn web designing.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by OmniPotens(m): 12:30pm On Sep 02, 2009
alleno:

Aimtech

http://www.elbashirsurgical.com/ - Won't criticize yet, but this is not nice on so many levels
This is an example of what i am saying, It will also be nice to state what your level as a designer or programmer is (Advanced, Beginner, or Intermediate), That will definitely help when we want to give constructive criticisms, Thanks all

If you understand what Unique Selling Point means then you won't be talking about urls as proof. It is not needed here at all.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by gdi(m): 1:18pm On Sep 02, 2009
When people hear the word "design" they often think only of what something looks like. but what about the value in communication - user interaction/engagement, a beautiful functional website that gives a total experience to the user about the brand - thats me (ux evangelist, total brand experience) wink
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2009
gdi:

Total brand experience is very short and concise but I am wondering if the average lay person would know what that means. Maybe you expatiate a bit, especially the "brand" part.

good luck!
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 3:48pm On Sep 02, 2009
mreds:

Sorry for not seeing your post earlier. I do tutor though not in Nigeria currently (I assume thatz where you are. Regardless, if you aren't in my locale, I can't do it as I prefer it be one-on-one).

I am working on a seminar in naija and will keep you and others posted.

sorry about that.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by baby4u2(f): 5:00pm On Sep 02, 2009
Guys sorry for taking you out of the topic, but i need help. I am trying to come up with an online business and i need to speak with someone/web designer about it. I am in real need of someone that can put my idea online. Please don't run away when i say this; I don't have money right away to give you/web designer, but my plan is to generate cash when the site is up and running. If you can help me please, let me have ur email immediately so that we can go from there. Thank you.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by ayobase(m): 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2009
to the web designers and developers.
biz awaits,

How much does it cost
to build a site like www.lagbaja.net
pls, it is urgent.

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by alleno: 7:44pm On Sep 02, 2009
OmniPotens:

If you understand what Unique Selling Point means then you won't be talking about urls as proof. It is not needed here at all.

Chairman, i don't need to understand what Unique Selling Point means to know that when some calls this http://www.elbashirsurgical.com/ , "I optimize client's taste to suite the modern web sites; like load time, catchy interface and fully editable programming (PHP) with comment lines."

There is no unique selling point stuff here, the topic is "As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique?", if someone says all the above and does this, he should be criticized to know he should work better.

No beef, just posting, Stay Alive
Re: As A Web Designer What Makes You Unique? by yawatide(f): 8:23pm On Sep 02, 2009
Those are some pretty large images: http://www.elbashirsurgical.com/Gallery.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Google Adsense On Mobile Phones / Why You Can't Fool Google SEO / Professional Web Design Training (WEEKEND CLASS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.