Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,013,191 members, 7,367,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 March 2023 at 04:05 PM
Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel Kick-started Their Careers (674 Views)
5 Artistes Who Started Their Careers With OJB Jezreel / Kemi Olunloyo's Tribute To OJB Jezreel / Babatunde Okungbowa "OJB Jezreel" Is Dead (2) (3) (4)
|5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel Kick-started Their Careers by entadaplace1: 11:17am On Jun 15, 2016|
5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel kick-started Their careers
We we greeted with the death of legendary music producer OJB Jezreel, yesterday morning.
To the younger generation, it might prove difficult to fully grasp the impact OJB had in the late 90’s and early 00’s. As the famed producer finally takes his rest, we take a look at the 5 artistes he helped jump start their careers. This is an expository list to those not familiar with his extensive production credits and a refresher to those that have forgotten the production exploits of the man known to millions as OJB Jezreel.
1) 2face Idibia– 2Face was already a known star as a member of the 90’s/00’s R and B group The Plantashun Boyz. 2Face’s star power in the group was so great that everyone knew it was a matter of time before he went solo. In 2004, 2face struck out and went solo.
He sought the production prowess of OJB Jezreel who was the hottest music producer in the country at the time for his highly anticipated debut album. For months they slaved on songs that would end up on 2Face’s instant classic solo debut album Face 2 Face. The album catapulted 2Face into superstardom. In 2007, 2Face hooked up with OJB Jezreel again. The huge success of his sophomore Grass 2 Grace proved that you never change a winning formula. 2Face’s first two albums are widely regarded as his best LPs in his rich discography.
2) D’Banj – Most people think Dapo Oyebanjo’s music career started when he met JJC Skillz in London. D’Banj’s entrance into the music game goes a bit farther than that. In 2002, D’Banj recorded his first song ‘Kiss Me Again’ featuring Rugged Man. The song was produced by Jigga (OJB’s alias).
The song wasn’t a hit but it got a few spins on local radio. Buoyed by the little positive response the song got, D’Banj moved to the UK to pursue his dreams. He came back 2 years later with an unknown producer who would take over from OJB Jezreel. His name is Don Jazzy.
Wizkid Accused Of Stabbing Event Despite Being Paid
Wizkid Accused Of Stabbing Event Despite Being Paid
3) Wizkid – If a biopic of Wizkid’s music life comes out, the flick would most likely start with him as a young thin boy watching stars troop in and out of OJB’s famed Silver Point studios.
Years before Wizkid scored his first hit with DJ Klem in the Knight House studio; he was a studio rat in OJB’s studio.
Wizkid who was barely in his teens was itching to record songs with OJB as his producer. Most times OJB told him to wait and watch. Wizkid’s recalls that while he was sitting in the studio waiting for his turn he learnt a lot of valuable lessons watching the likes of 2Face and Rugged Man record. It is most likely that Wizkid never released any of his OJB produced songs but the experience he gained chilling in the studio must have helped him become the star boy he is today.
4) Rugged Man – Rugged Man had been lurking in the underground scene for years. Tired of the mainstream rap music he heard on radio courtesy of Eedris Abdulkareem and Rasqie he went to OJB’s Silver Point Studios to record the classic ‘Ehen’ diss track featuring Nomoreloss. The song spread like wild fire and galvanized the underground rap community.
Rugged Man wasn’t through with the diss tracks. ‘Peace or War’ and ‘Big Bros’ completed his diss trilogy aimed at wack rappers, their fans and record labels that pushed them. Thanks to OJB’s production, Rugged Man became the new champion of rap music in Nigeria. He released his debut album 2 years after ‘Ehen’- 2004. Thy Album Come featured production from OJB and other Silver Point associate producers. Thy Album Come is perceived as one of the most influential rap LPs in Nigerian rap history.
5) Durella – By 2008, D’Banj who started his career with OJB Jezreel had become a superstar. An unknown act named Durella whose style was similar to D’Banj’s knocked on OJB’s door in search of a hit.
OJB Jezreel blessed him with ‘Wiskolo Wiska’ a hard hitting club track. The song became so popular that people thought it was D’Banj who sang the song. Thanks to OJB’s production Durella had made a name for himself. Durella’s career has had more downs than up but a hit like ‘Wiskolo Wiska’ is a sparkling gem in his scattered discography.
|Re: 5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel Kick-started Their Careers by Smellymouth: 11:19am On Jun 15, 2016|
|Re: 5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel Kick-started Their Careers by Icansing: 1:52pm On Jun 15, 2016|
Uhmmm wiscollo wiscala
|Re: 5 Top Stars That OJB Jezreel Kick-started Their Careers by Beremx(f): 1:58pm On Jun 15, 2016|
Only Durella seems to have gone into extinction .
I love his songs
#Savemayowa: Twitter Naija Blast Linda Ikeji Over Her Apolopy to Mayowa Family / Burial Of NYSC Member Drown In PH After Accidentally Slipping Off A / YOUTUBE Endorses AY TV Channel For Surpassing 100,000 Subscribers
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2023 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72