Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,553 members, 7,819,958 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Entangled - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Entangled (1233 Views)

Short Story: ENTANGLED / Entangled / Entangled Souls (episode 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 3:11pm On Jun 15, 2016
ENTANGLED
BY
HORLAH
Based on a true life story

COPYWRIGHT: All rights reserved. This is a work of fiction and any resemblance with character’s name or location is a mere coincidence. No part of this work is to be published or posted in any social site or media or plagiarized without the author’s permission or consent. Thank you.
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
Episode one
“Isa, please fry four eggs for me and bring a loaf of bread worth #200naira.” I said.
“ok oga, I don hear, you no need tea?” he asked in Nigeria’s second official language, pidgin English.
“no, I don’t need it. I will make it myself. Just fry the eggs and bring the bread.” “And do it fast because I’m going out soon.” I concluded.
“Ok sir, I will be fast.” He said.
That was Isa, my neighbour. He is jack of all work. He is the mai shayi of the area in the morning, mai shago by mid-afternoon till night and works as a security guard of our compound in the night. He lives in a flat close to mine with his wife, Nabila and two children, Kalipha and Hannatu. His shop is located outside the compound by the left and his shayi joint to the right. The compound is located somewhere around Rimin gata, Kano state. It is a big compound with five buildings in it.
What makes a man work do three jobs- mai shayi, mai shago, and security guard- if not the Nigeria’s economy? The same economy that makes a lawyer turn banker overnight, this same economy turned a first class graduate of banking and finance to puff-puff seller at the roadside. This same economy made Isa work three times a day to make sure his small family eats the normal 3 square meal.
As a young bachelor that I was, though not searching because I have my girlfriend, my flat was well furnished with quality home appliances and accessories. To the north of my sitting room is the book shelf with varieties of books. To the east is my 44 inch flat screen TV with two sound systems each placed beside it. To the west is my three settee sofa and the recliner, a glass table placed on a white Persian rug at the center of the room with a flower vase placed on top of the table. The two arm chairs occupy the south side of the room. The wall was painted white and blue. I choose the colour because it’s my favourite colour. I keep my room neat and tidy and thus, it entices everyone that visits me especially my female friends but I don’t have time for trash.
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2016
Isah brought the food in time, I paid him and went to the kitchen to prepare my tea. That day was Saturday and there was no work. For those of you thinking I had no job, well, sorry to disappoint you. I am a lawyer at the Federal High Court, Kano state. I was transferred from the Federal High Court of Oyo state to the Federal High Court, Kano state. I am a first class graduate of English language from the federal university, Birnin Kebbi. Surprised? Don’t be. I said it earlier that the Nigeria’s economy can turn a lawyer to a banker overnight. Though mine was not like that. After graduating, I went for my masters in law at the prestigious University of Ibadan. Then after my masters, I went to Harvard law school where I was certified to be a lawyer.
Five minutes later, my tea was ready and I sat down at the breakfast bar in my kitchen and ate my breakfast. I checked the time at the wall clock placed on the kitchen wall, it was 10:46 am then. I picked up my phone and dialed a number. The receiver picked at the first ring.
“I thought you wouldn’t call.’ The receiver said.
“Not even a good morning.” I said.
“Sorry for my bad manners.” The receiver said. “good morning and how was your night?” she asked.
‘It was fine and yours?” I asked.
“It was awesome.” she replied.
“Are we still meeting today?” I asked to confirm.
“Of course, I wouldn’t miss it for anything.” She replied.
“Alright then, just be ready when I come to pick you up in the next 45 minutes.” I said.
“Sure, you bet I will.” she said. “I love you.” She said.
“Alright, I love you too darling.” I said.
“Yea, that’s my baby, see you later.” She said and ended the call.
I hurried to finish my breakfast because I also don’t want to be late for the special occasion that was about to happen that day.
To be continued…
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 3:45pm On Jun 15, 2016
hey guys, how are you all. thanks for taking time to read my story. like i said it's a true life story. pls bear with me. and like i also said in my copywright, no part of this work should be copied or plagiarised without the permission of the author. thank you. ehm lest i forget, criticisms are allowed. i'm not perfect. and pls dont forget to comment. your comments will really go a long way to helping me.
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
…continued
Episode two
“Yea, that’s my baby, see you later.” She said and ended the call.
I hurried to finish my breakfast because I also don’t want to be late for the special occasion that was about to happen that day.
That was my girlfriend, Shewa. Shewa in my language means someone endowed with beauty. And true to her name, she is beautiful, she is an angel sent by God. Let me brief you on how we met. We attended the same University though. It all started around the time my mum died. She died when I was in my first year in the university, first semester to be precise.
When my mum died, I was down and devastated. I became a shadow of myself. I couldn’t concentrate on my studies anymore, I missed lectures and sometimes tests. My mum was my sole sponsor. She sponsored me throughout my primary school level till I got to the university. She suffered for me a lot. When I graduated, I couldn’t get admission on time, she tried all her possible best to see I got admitted to a university. At last, I was given admission, double admission to be true. The month I was given admission was the month she was assassinated. So painful and pathetic, she didn’t wait to reap the fruits of her suffered labour on me. That’s story for another day sha.
I was walking along the school road one day, oblivious of the happenings around me. I was lost in thought. I didn’t know a car was behind me horning, not until someone tapped me and told me to get off the road. I stepped aside to allow the car to pass. The car stopped right in front of me, the glass was wound down and a beautiful angel in human flesh asked me to enter the car. I couldn’t at first hear what she said. She repeated her statement and got inside the car. She asked me what happened and with tears rolling down my eyes, I explained everything to her. When I was done with the explanation, she was also in tears. She didn’t know when she started shedding tears. She told me not to worry that she would discuss with her father and she would get back to me. I met her father and we discussed. He promised to sponsor me all through my university education and if I also want to go further, he would sponsor me. I was so happy and elated.
I thought of a way to show my appreciation. I thought of no other befitting way than to marry shewa. At first, it wasn’t rosy because she didn’t accept it. She said she took me as a brother she never had. I knew it would be difficult convincing her but through my perseverance and endurance, my hardwork paid off. I won her heart.
I finished my breakfast and went to take my bath. After that, I dressed up and wore a white jean and a blue polo shirt with a blue and white sneaker to match. All blue and white. That day was a special day and I had to wear my favourite colours,blue and white. As I got out of my apartment, I met one og my neighbours, Mr Anthony Maduka, a banker at Zenith plc. he stays at block A room 2.
Like I said earlier, my compound has five buildings in it. The first two buildings, block A and B faced each other while the third building, block c, is at the rear. Two flats per block making a total of six flats in the compound. The other two buildings, the generator house and the security house which is close to the gate.
“Good morning, Mr Maduka.” I greeted.
“Good morning, Jaiye.” He greeted back.
"How was ur night". i asked
"It was fine "he replied. Are you going out? he asked.
Nigerians will always be nigerians,after seeing me dressed up and holding my car key he is still asking me if i was going out.
"No." I am not going out, i want to go and sleep in my car." I said to myself. I dared not say it out for fear of the unknown. Mr Maduka, the great fighter. I still remember vividly well the day he beat his wife for not cooking on time. That's story for another day.
"Yes, am going out sir." I answered.
"Which way are you taking?" he asked.
"hmmm, towards zoo road sir. Shagari quarters precisely." I replied walking to my blue nissan versa parked at the parking lot.
"oh, that's not my way. i am going towards Bukavu Barracks." he said.
"See you later sir." I said.
I got into my car forgotten I would have to open the gate myself, considering the fact that our gateman is now attending to his customers at the mai shayi joint. At first, I wasn't in agreement with this arrangement. How could I pay for a security guard and still open the gate myself, but i later pondered over the issue and reasoned that there are some circumstances that can't be averted. Like the Nigeria's economy.
I got down, opened the gate, drove outside, got down again and locked the gate.i got into my car and sped off with my car stereo blasting away to the song of my 'nigga' Coolwixx. What a nice song, his voice is just like wizkid's. That's for the music part sha, because it's the studio vocals that makes it sound like wizkid's. His normal voice sounds like he swallowed frog. My best nigga back then in school. I will brief you about him later.
I checked the time on my wristwatch. It was 11:54, I was late already. Not my fault though, African time. I increased my speed. I dialled my girlfriend's number. I connected my bluetooth headset to make the call so as to avoid stories that touch. I would not want to be flagged down by a road marshal on a day like this. She piked at the first ring, expecting my call already I think.
"where are you?" she asked. "Aren't you coming again? I thought you said 45 minutes?" she asked so many questions at once.
I was confused not knowing which one to answer first.
"At least always say hello first." I said afterwards. "Anyway meet me outside your house in the next five minutes."
"Haha, won't you come inside." she asked.
"Haba, you were complaining a while ago about my lateness and you still want me to come inside." I said. " I am not coming inside, just meet me outside.I'm almost at your house." I concluded.
I got to her house and had to wait for about five minutes. When she later came out, she looked dazzling. She was clad in a blue jean with a pink polo shirt and a blue jordans.
"Happy birthday." I said to her as she entered the car.
"wow, thanks. I thought you had forgotten." she said.
"No, why would i forget such a thing. I just wanted you to think i forgot, that was why I didn't wish you the time you called." I said
That's my nature, I have a way of surprising people.sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't.
"hmm, thanks darling." she said palnting a kiss on my cheek.
"you are welcome." I said as I turned on the ignition key and drove off.
I drove along Zoo road towards The Ahmadu Bello Amusement Park. We got to the entrance of the park and showed our Id's to the security guard at post. we were given a plastic tag to ensure safety. we got a nice mowed field to settle down. We brought out the things we bought on the way coming. We ate and drank and chatted about beautiful nothing.
"Baby, there is somewhere I want us to go when we leave here." I said after we finished our snacks.
"wow, that's great."she said. " where is that?" She asked the obvious question.
"Don't worry, when we get there you will know." I said.
We got up after packing our things and headed for the car. She was very anxious as she didn'y know where I was taking her to and i think she couldn't guess where in her mind. We drove out of the park after tipping the security guard off and headed towards taraunin hotel and resort where the suprise lies.
to be continued...
horlah.
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
i need comment and critics guys.. thanks
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 6:11pm On Dec 11, 2016
hmmmm, it's nt easy mhen...bin outa here 4 a lng tym, tanks 2 God 4 kipin me alive,
Re: Entangled by jayhaywhy(m): 6:13pm On Dec 11, 2016
story cont. in a bit...
Re: Entangled by Girlyy: 11:04am On Dec 12, 2016
Truly,its really not easy.Thanks for the story....UPDATE Please
Re: Entangled by Pearl05(f): 5:33am On Jun 22, 2017
[b[i]]This is my first post for over a year that I registered. Your writing style captivated me so much that I found myself always checking for updates. You are indeed talented. Thanks for sharing the story[/[/i]b].

(1) (Reply)

My Life In Hilton High School- Episode 21-24 (e-books/story) / Unravel The Mysteries In You..... A Must Own And Read Book.. / Hollywood Actor Hakeem Kae Kazim Performs 'I Am A Nigerian'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.