Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Your Best Author - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Your Best Author (960 Views)

Excerpts From The Unseen Terrorist  An Exposé Published By Author House UK / Stephen Covey, "7 Habits" Author, Dies At 79 / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Best Author by sampo4eva(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
mine is Ben Carson. who is urs?
Re: Your Best Author by kamistura(f): 11:00am On Nov 05, 2009
Mine is Sydney Sheldon. He is too much
Re: Your Best Author by NIAPREXT(f): 11:26am On Nov 05, 2009
Mine is John Grisham, anyday, anytime. I mean his books are simply irresistable.
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 11:58am On Nov 05, 2009
Charles Dickens.
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2009
Charles Dickens.

There was a time I read nothing else but Dickens.How many of his works have you read?

@Poster:

Really,I am not sure I ve got a best author.Or a favourite.I ve read some really interesting books,and I would find it
difficult to pick out a best among them.As I have said, there was a time I did nothing else but read Dickens.
Grisham and Soyinka also sometime ago dominated my waking hours.I confess that those two,including Dickens,
had the capacity of making me to laugh in the middle of their books.
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 1:10pm On Nov 05, 2009
@WokarGwa, I've read a few. You know there aren't that many of his books. I loved the Old Curiousity Shop, have you read that one? A Tale of Two Cities, A Christmas Carol and some more of his major classics. You're right, he gets you laughing unexpectedly as you're reading. I also like Mark Twain.
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 1:37pm On Nov 05, 2009
@Maedan:

Yes I have read the Old Curiosity Shop. Do u know I ve been unable to conclude it?The copy I have is incomplete.
With my masculine heart,I yet found myself brushing off tears in sympathy to Little Nell. But Swiveller got me
rolling on the floor!Quip was a devil with  humuor and an attitude.Can u imagine that devilish dwarf wanting to
marry Nell?D dude is a classic case of male dominance:note d way he pinches his wife and keeps her perpetually in
sorrow.

But of all Dicken's works,I thnk The Pickwick Papers stands out.U should read it. OMG!U wont stop laughing out your head in that book.
I have read Nicholas Nickleby,David Copperfield,Bleak House,Christmas Carol,Martin Chuzzlewit and, of course,Oliver
Twist.

U can get any of Dickens' in an old curiousity shop.Those that sell antiquated books.

I like Mark Twain too.Have u read his "Luck" and "Tom Sawyer"?What of that arch-romantic "Huckleberry Finn"? Twain's

style has a moving simplicity.I like him for that.
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2009
WokarGwa, sorry you never got to finish the Old Curiousity Shop. I think I've read it twice or thrice. Yes, it does make you cry in some places. I'll try to read the Pickwick Papers one of these days, I hear it's very good. I loved Tom Sawyerr!! And I'm halfway thru' Huckleberry Finn but I can't seem to find the time to finish it for now. There's an online library where I get to read all the classics. I had the hard copy of Curiousity shop, I read it to shreds cheesy. Quip was so evil, he deserved to end up the way he did. Make sure you finish it wink!!
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 05, 2009
Now that you have said it I think I will find a means of completing the story.I stopped at that scene of the singular
gentleman.There is this online library that's got every classic imaginable.Gutenburg it's called,and I thnk I will try
downloading it from there.
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 2:56pm On Nov 05, 2009
Gutenburg? Mine is literature.org. I'll check yours out though, thanks and Happy Reading wink!!
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 05, 2009
Literature.org is quite good.I just found an author - Rene Descartes - I ve been looking for. Thanks.
Also,I just found out that I made a mistake:The site
is gutenberg.org,not gutenburg.
Happy Reading!
Re: Your Best Author by divchynka(f): 3:19pm On Nov 05, 2009
Milan Kundera
The Unbearable Lightness of Being ahd other novels.
It is so simple and great!
Re: Your Best Author by Sbeauty: 2:43pm On Nov 06, 2009
Chinua Achebe is my best author. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Your Best Author by divchynka(f): 6:50pm On Nov 06, 2009
Yes, he is great!
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 11:54am On Nov 07, 2009
anyone who could take the pain to write a beautiful book, as did these fellas:

stephen king,
john sandford,
wilbur smith,
sidney sheldon (is kinda manageable, God rest his soul),
andrew klavan
dean koontz (his earlier books),
uwem akpan (the jesuit rocks),
marie corelli (just one book out of em all: sorrows of satan),
george dawes green (caveman valentine & the juror),
and finally Ken follet's Pillar of the Earth

these are books written by these great authors I could kill for wink
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 2:06pm On Nov 07, 2009
@ WokarGwa
Yep, I've checked out the proper site(Gutenberg.org smiley just now, and it's great. Literature.org does not have downloads, so I like Gutenberg better!! Thanks and I hope you find the Old Curiosity Shop on there and finish it! Peace.
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 07, 2009
I'm glad you found the site useful.I just downloaded Mark Twain's "THE $30,000 BEQUEST". What
a hilarious tale.Something I found in it reminds of Grisham.

The Old Curiosity Shop?I will find time to rush that through.But what use is it,if poor Nell died in
the end?
Re: Your Best Author by adebayo201: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2009
Prof. Akinwumi Ishola
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 6:50pm On Nov 07, 2009
WokarGwa, how come you know Nell died?? smiley. Well, it was saddening but after reading the book the first time, I got over it. I haven't heard of the "$30,000 Bequest" by Mark Twain, but I'll check it out soon as I can wink.
Re: Your Best Author by semid4lyfe(m): 9:20am On Nov 08, 2009
Don't have a favourite author. All the good authors have written one or two dry books in the past.
Re: Your Best Author by adebayo201: 12:30pm On Nov 08, 2009
Lol
Re: Your Best Author by Nobody: 6:31pm On Nov 08, 2009
@Maedan:
Actually,the incomplete version I ve got had this synopsis of the whole story.Accidentally, I read it.
And regretted immediately because I found out Nell died.But like you I will try to get over it.You
know if I had my way I could re-write the story to save Nell.lol.

Try to read The 30,000 Dollars Bequest.It's a hit!
Re: Your Best Author by maedan(f): 4:09am On Nov 09, 2009
WokarGwa, sorry but you can't rewrite it to suit you wink!! But you can try!!!
Ok, I'll find the Mark Twain book and read it soon as you've suggested smiley.
Re: Your Best Author by noblegas2(m): 3:14pm On Nov 09, 2009
NIAPREXT:

Mine is John Grisham, anyday, anytime. I mean his books are simply irresistable.

Yep Girlfriend, if it aint Grisham, den d book aint jumpin, lolz
Re: Your Best Author by Orikinla(m): 3:23pm On Nov 09, 2009
Tolstoy.
Re: Your Best Author by totalabi: 7:25am On Nov 10, 2009
my best authors are messrs achebe, ekwensi, and chukwuemeka ike
Re: Your Best Author by meggieblac: 2:44pm On Nov 13, 2009
John Grisham, sydney sheldon, stephen king

(1) (Reply)

Peace In Our Land (my Prayer For Jos) / Writers Needed Urgently Please: / Get Your Freelance Writer Here! Team Xtreme At Your Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.