Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? (9993 Views)

Lekki Free Zone Is A White-elephant And Failed Project? / Foc-sunborn Yacht Hotel: Lagos Floating White Elephant ! / Highway To Cameroun : White Elephant Project? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 2:29pm On Aug 30, 2009
Lagos allays communities’ fears over Lekki Airport
By Gboyega Akinsanmi, 08.28.2009
Friday, August 28, 2009

Lagos State Government yesterday assured all the communities to be affected by the proposed ultra-modern international airport in Ibeju-Lekki-Epe area of the state of adequate compensation . It also confirmed its plan to complete the project before 2015.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/28/206.html

The assurance was given at a stakeholders' meeting held between the representatives of the affected communities and the state government at the Lagos State Television (LTV) complex in Agidingbi, Ikeja., Permanent Secretary of Bureau of Lands, Mr. Gbenga Ashafa, Director of Land Services, Mrs. Nike Animasahun, and Chairman of Ibeju-Lekki Local Council Development Area, Olusegun Agbaje, who attended the summit explained government's intentions to the traditional chiefs and leaders of the affected communities.

The stakeholders had expressed profound fear that the airport project would cost them their lands and heritage, a situation a lawyer and stakeholder, Mr. Abdulraheem Owolabi, described as worrisome and disturbing, saying many farmers and fishermen would be affected. They also demanded a Memorandum of Understanding between the government and the affected communities.

Ashafa however allayed the fear of the representatives, assuring them that the state government would ensure that all the affected individuals and families in the area mapped out for the proposed airport project “will be duly compensated and rewarded.”

He explained that the summit was an effort to create a forum for robust discussion and dialogue between the state government and the affected communities, which, he said “is necessary to avoid conflict," adding.

” We called this stakeholders meeting in order to ensure that no interest is affected when the airport project commences”.

He said the decision of the state government was in line with the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Land Use Act, explaining that the government would not allow the situation to degenerate to the Niger Delta option as some affected individuals had threatened.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2009
Why build another airport in Lagos when there are two already?. Why not invest that money in another infrastructure?. Is this not a white elephant project?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 30, 2009
Given the population and the need to ease Lagos traffic problems, I dont think it is a white elephant project.

However, same people who shouted down the idea of building an airport in Asaba or Obosi will be the same people that will loud this project.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 3:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
Accessiblity to the airports is more of a problem itself. I suggest building more bridges and railways in Lagos instead of airports. Its not as if the airports there are over crowded; all they are doing is building another airport to serve residents of Lekki/ikoyi area.

On the Asaba issue: If Oba airport is up and about, why build another airport at Asaba?. Oba to Asaba is like from Ojota to Surulere.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Accessiblity to the airports is more of a problem itself. I suggest building more bridges and railways in Lagos instead of airports. Its not as if the airports there are over crowded; all they are doing is building another airport to serve residents of Lekki/ikoyi area.

On the Asaba issue: If Oba airport is up and about, why build another airport at Asaba?. Oba to Asaba is like from Ojota to Surulere.

Didnt you see the "or" in my post or are you telling me there's an airport in Oba already?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2009
No; they are still constructing it and the Asaba own is under construction too. Oba being an older project is okay by me but the Asaba project is a total waste of money.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

No; they are still constructing it and the Asaba own is under construction too. Oba being an older project is okay by me but the Asaba project is a total waste of money.

Sounds "hypocritical" to me for you to complain about the proposed Lekki airport and at the same time commend the on-going Oba airport which location is not strategic and safe. Exactly the situation with Lekki.
That Oba airport has been on the drawing table doesnt take away the fact that the idea of Asaba airport is convenient and safer. Unless the governor (Obi) is sticking to the project as another means of revenue generation. Huge one!
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 5:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
The main reason for the new airport is the Lekki free trade zone (LFTZ). The new airport is gonna be handling a lot of cargo from the LFTZ.

Lagos is also the commercial nerve center of Nigeria and west africa so it' very prudent to have another airport to support the ever growing population and commercial activities.

The one in Ikeja is garbage anyways, the feds as usual are not taking good are of it, the place is like a landing strip with blown out bulbs and dangling electrical wires from the roofs, crappy fixtures, and almost obsolete baggage handling system.

I'm sure it's going to be privately funded anyways,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2009
I wonder what is ''white elephantish'' about this project.

With an airport in Lekki, people on the Island do not need to go through the traffic menace to Ikeja.

Air travellers on the Island will rejoice over this.

Besides, the project will go along way to salvaging the mad situation of planes on queues at the MMA.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by MrCrackles(m): 6:50pm On Aug 30, 2009
I dont see any common sense in building another airport!
We should improve what we have already
The state of the MMA is pathetic and i am not even sure of the local airport which i havnt even been!
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 7:30pm On Aug 30, 2009
The state of the MMA is pathetic and i am not even sure of the local airport which i havnt even been!

But do you see any common sense in 18+ million people relying on a  neglected and crumbling federal infrastructure?

Do you see any sense in moving tons of cargo from Lekki free trade zone through lagos traffic to MMA? 

Is MMA big and equipped enough to support LFTZ and the general public?

And do you think the feds give a damn about MMA? Fashola can't touch MMA, MMA belongs to the feds.

Fashola just agreed to fix the federal  road leading to the airport because the ever incompetent feds refused to fix it.

I'm glad fashola is working his way around the feds and their lousy infrastructures and ways of doing things.

Right now, for any state in Nigeria to progress and modernize, they have to forget about Abuja and chart their own course and destiny.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Rebarobyn: 8:05pm On Aug 30, 2009
MrCrackles:

I agree the MMA Int'l is an eye-sore and they should work on it before building another one. The MMA2 local is much better, Lagos state govt rebuilt it well and I think they're maintaining it well.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by MrCrackles(m): 8:19pm On Aug 30, 2009
babapupa:

But do you see any common sense in 18+ million people relying on a  neglected and crumbling federal infrastructure?
Do you see any sense in moving tons of cargo from Lekki free trade zone through lagos traffic to MMA? 
Is MMA big and equipped enough to support LFTZ and the general public?
And do you think the feds give a damn about MMA? Fashola can't touch MMA, MMA belongs to the feds.
Fashola just agreed to fix the federal  road leading to the airport because the ever incompetent feds refused to fix it.
I'm glad fashola is working his way around the feds and their lousy infrastructures and ways of doing things.
Right now, for any state in Nigeria to progress and modernize, they have to forget about Abuja and chart their own course and destiny.
No matter how many points you drop, it wont change my opinion on the whole schitzo
End off!
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 8:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
There is nothing wrong with a new airport if it is privately funded, except the danger that Lagos might be seen to have been sold off to a few individuals after all the Lekki schemes are completed.
I smell trouble for Lagos after Fashola leaves, if those coming in cannot match his energy and foresight.

If the new airport is to be funded by the state govt, the money will be better spent on a metro or new bridges across the lagoon.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by blackmann(m): 8:43pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf:

There is nothing wrong with a new airport if it is privately funded, except the danger that Lagos might be seen to have been sold off to a few individuals after all the Lekki schemes are completed.
I smell trouble for Lagos after Fashola leaves, if those coming in cannot match his energy and foresight.

If the new airport is to be funded by the state govt, the money will be better spent on a metro or new bridges across the lagoon.

Seems to me that Lagos state has been getting some very good governors over the years, so definitely someone will come out with the same mindset to continue the good work - that is if the leadership party doesn't change.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by bawomolo(m): 8:44pm On Aug 30, 2009
an Interstate highway system coupled with railways (what happened to rehabilitating NRC) would help Nigeria more than airports most of the population would hardly use.

Airports won't interconnect Nigeria.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by bawomolo(m): 8:46pm On Aug 30, 2009
Given the population and the need to ease Lagos traffic problems, I dont think it is a white elephant project.

However, same people who shouted down the idea of building an airport in Asaba or Obosi will be the same people that will loud this project.

why not expand the current international airport rather than building a new one?

This makes as much sense as teslim balogun stadium and national stadium being in the same vicinity.

Airport clustering in a state as small as lagos won't help.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2009
nuzo:

Sounds "hypocritical" to me for you to complain about the proposed Lekki airport and at the same time commend the on-going Oba airport which location is not strategic and safe. Exactly the situation with Lekki.
That Oba airport has been on the drawing table doesnt take away the fact that the idea of Asaba airport is convenient and safer. Unless the governor (Obi) is sticking to the project as another means of revenue generation. Huge one!

I do not know the state of both airports. All I know is they are still under construction and I vouched for Oba because it was started years before Asaba airport. However, if Asaba airport will be done in no distant time, then the Oba airport should be converted to a poultry. My point is, Onitsha and Asaba are over populated and they need a functional airport instead of driving all the way to Enugu to pick a flight. One is enough and not two.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 9:04pm On Aug 30, 2009
Bawomolo,

what part of ''MMA belongs to the Feds'' dont you understand?

And Having 2 international airports in such a mega city as Lagos does not amount to ''airport clustering''.

There's an abadoned stadium owned by Feds in Lagos, and the state govt deemed it fit to build a befitting stadium just opposite the cemetry-looking National stadium and the people are the better for it.

Lagos state, in the same vein, deserves a befitting International airport for the good of the people.

We can't continue to look up to the almighty clueless Federal government for infrastructural development.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Aug 30, 2009
bawomolo:

why not expand the current international airport rather than building a new one?

This makes as much sense as teslim balogun stadium and national stadium being in the same vicinity.

Airport clustering in a state as small as lagos won't help.

bawomolo:

an Interstate highway system coupled with railways (what happened to rehabilitating NRC) would help Nigeria more than airports most of the population would hardly use. Airports won't interconnect Nigeria.

good points!!
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 9:09pm On Aug 30, 2009
babapupa:

The main reason for the new airport is the Lekki free trade zone (LFTZ). The new airport is gonna be handling a lot of cargo from the LFTZ.

Lagos is also the commercial nerve center of Nigeria and west africa so it' very prudent  to have another airport to support the ever growing population and commercial activities.

The one in Ikeja is garbage anyways, the feds as usual are not taking good are of it, the place is like a landing strip with blown out bulbs and dangling electrical wires from the roofs, crappy fixtures, and almost obsolete baggage handling system.

I'm sure it's going to be privately funded anyways,

How many airports do they have in the city of London, Tokyo, NY, Buenos Aires, etc?. There is a functional local airport already and if people are having delayed flights because of the size, they could expand it to build more terminals. Create a bus route for passengers and prohibit cars entering the airport vicinity. It is power tussle in question. The oligarchs living in Lekki wants a private airport so they can loot us dry without any prying eyes. Like someone said, if it's a private airfiels or privately funded, they can go ahead but not with govt money.  Go to LASU and see the dilapidated infrastructures there yet we are talking about building an airport for the rich and mighty. How do we Africans reason?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by fyneguy: 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2009
Beaf:

I have been following most of your posts on this forum; you come across as a cynic. You hardly see anything positive in any project.

How could you smell trouble for Lagos because Fashola will leave someday? Hello! dont make it look like Fashola is the last good thing to happen to Lagos.

Fashola is setting a new pace in Lagos, agreed. Lagos is too sophisticated democratically for a non-performer to govern, especially at this stage. I believe whoever succeeds him will even do better.

Let's be optimistic and not allow the fear of the unknown to scuttle the progressive development of the state.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Nchara: 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2009
If this is not a white elephant projec[/b]t, it is definitely a [b]white elephant-like project. How many of the 18 million people in Lagos fly? How many people fly in and out of Lagos daily and how will the new airport share from this data? With the international airport being already completed in Asaba, what will be the toll of this to the existing airports in Lagos, let alone a new airport, considering that many of the flyers are going to be routing via Asaba? I respect the decision of those involved and would simply stop at this point, with a caveat that they should have done some more homework and consulting.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 9:25pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

I have been following most of your posts on this forum; you come across as a cynic. You hardly see anything positive in any project.

How could you smell trouble for Lagos because Fashola will leave someday? Hello! dont make it look like Fashola is the last good thing to happen to Lagos.

Fashola is setting a new pace in Lagos, agreed. Lagos is too sophisticated democratically for a non-performer to govern, especially at this stage. I believe whoever succeeds him will even do better.

Let's be optimistic and not allow the fear of the unknown to scuttle the progressive development of the state.

While I agree with your plea for optimism. Let's not forget that Lagos state is in Nigeria and not a sovereign nation. If the head is rotten, the body will not function well, have you heard that before?.
Do you know that individuals own roads and airports abroad?. What stops these investors from running a long bridge from mainland to Lekki and VI without passing through the island so that those who can afford the toll can drive through after a long day at work without problems?.

Typically, such infrastructure is capital intensive and an investor will not recoup his capital from toll fees in the first 5 years but if Nigeria is not stable, who will take such risk?. Another govt may enter tomorrow and revoke the license. Will you carry your bridge home if such a thing happens?. That is why foreign investors shy away from putting a lot in tangible properties because we are not stable. If the head is not stable, Fashola may be laboring in vain. Look, your vote doesn't count in Nigeria and don't be surprised if Fashola did not make it come 2011 because all these money he is using to clean up lagos should be in someones pocket and that someone is running out of patience with him. If that someone is a kingmaker, kiss Fashola goodbye.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:26pm On Aug 30, 2009
No matter how many points you drop, it wont change my opinion on the whole schitzo
End off!

Unfortunately for you, your entitled opinion is misguided and misplaced, Fashola/Lagos state is not responsible for federal infrastructures like MMA. He can't do a damn thing about MMA. Your entitled opinion sounds dead on arrival,

Direct your argument and objections to the feds in Abuja, tell them to hurry up and fix MMA if it bothers you so much.

For now, Fashola's Job is to promote private development and investments in his state, not to sit on his hands forever or till the federal gov' stops snoring and wakes up from it's slumber.

He's not even spending the state's money on any of these projects so what's your point?

Of what use is a $6 billion free trade zone without a modern airport with superb cargo handling capabilities?
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Kobojunkie: 9:28pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

Please, can we be more educated in our responses here?

Lagos has NOT ALWAYS had good leadership. This has been clear in the fact that the current governor met the state in such a devastated state. And to claim that the current governor will ENSURE the next man will be like him is BULL talk. He can only guarantee his part but not the next man's.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:29pm On Aug 30, 2009
Lagos state govt rebuilt it well and I think they're maintaining it well.

MMA2 is a private entity, Lagos state Gov'/Fashola didn't spend a dime on MMA2 and has nothing to do with it.

MMA is the responsibility of the federal government, not Fashola,

Lets educate ourselves and stop repeating the same falsehoods. Promoting private development and investments is a good thing, we get a modern and up to date infrastructures and create tons of needed jobs @ the same time.

And it's going to be privately owned and managed, not state owned and managed.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Beaf: 9:32pm On Aug 30, 2009
fyneguy:

Tackle the issue at hand.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2009
Nchara:

If this is not a white elephant projec[/b]t, it is definitely a [b]white elephant-like project. How many of the 18 million people in Lagos fly? How many people fly in and out of Lagos daily and how will the new airport share from this data? With the airport being already completed in Asaba, what will be the toll of this to the existing airports in Lagos, let alone a new airport, considering that many of the flyers are going to be routing via Asaba? I respect the decision of those involved and would simply stop at this point

Let’s wait and see. I won’t really tag it a white elephant project yet. I mean Lagos does have the population to boot. And we don’t really know if people will move to using Asaba yet. So, let’s just hope the planners did their homeworks well.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by oyinda3(f): 9:35pm On Aug 30, 2009
i don't think it's a white elephant project.
lagos is not exactly a small city. unless you're only talking geographic wise. plus thousands of people make their connection through lagos to other countries and states, so it's not just about lagosians.

how about this new airport and then some serious reconstruction/ maintainance work on the existing ones.
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by babapupa: 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
Typically, such infrastructure is capital intensive and an investor will not recoup his capital from toll fees in the first 5 years but if Nigeria is not stable, who will take such risk?. Another govt may enter tomorrow and revoke the license. Will you carry your bridge home if such a thing happens?. That is why foreign investors shy away from putting a lot in tangible properties because we are not stable. If the head is not stable, Fashola may be laboring in vain. Look, your vote doesn't count in Nigeria and don't be surprised if Fashola did not make it come 2011 because all these money he is using to clean up lagos should be in someones pocket and that someone is running out of patience with him. If that someone is a kingmaker, kiss Fashola goodbye.

So, because of all your imagined and perceived futuristic crystal ball concerns, Fashola should not develop and promote private investments in his state? You mean Fashola should just sit on his hands and slide the state back to stone age because we're not stable and he's not sure who's gonna be in charge after him?,

Jesus Christ,
Re: Lekki Airport: White Elephant Project? by AloyEmeka6: 9:39pm On Aug 30, 2009
babapupa:

So, because of all your imagined and perceived futuristic crystal ball concerns, Fashola should not develop and promote private investments in his state? You mean Fashola should just sit on his hands and slide the state back to stone age because we're not stable and he's not sure who's gonna be in charge after him?,

Jesus Christ,

Do you understand english at all?. Where did I write such a thing?. How did private investors and the issues we have in Nigeria equate to Fashola?. This fasholaMania is becoming a religion o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Four Steps To Starting A Successful Business / Where Do I Get These Soap Ingredients(materials) To Buy / Pencom Bars PFAs From Investing In Bonds Issued By Nine States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.