Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? (9842 Views)

China To Start Importing From Nigeria - Emefiele, CBN Governor / Ezekwesili Or Soludo Likely To Be CBN Governor, To Replace Emefiele - Guardian / If We Devalue Naira Again, We Will Kill Nigerians, Says CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by wait4me(m): 9:41pm On Jun 24, 2011
I want to know if Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala  has the power to remove Sanusi if she is appointed finance minister. what do NL think?
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by ZnO: 9:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
hahahahah! Stop leaping before you can crawl. Cross that bridge only when you get to it. Thanks
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Sunofgod(m): 9:47pm On Jun 24, 2011
CBN is a private bank and the CBN Governor is elected by its shareholders.

The Finance minister is appointed by the Federal Govt and certainly cannot sack the CBN Governor.

She can undermine his position though and cause problems for him - just as he could do the same to her.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by EzeUche1(m): 9:51pm On Jun 24, 2011
I really wished she had that power. Someone must stop his quest to Islamicize the banking system! angry
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by wait4me(m): 10:00pm On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

I really wished she had that power. Someone must stop his quest to Islamicize the banking system! angry
me too. I think Nigeria economic problem is very obvious, the banks are not working and this man called Sanusi has destroyed
the banking industry with his so called reform.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Genius100: 10:27pm On Jun 24, 2011
EzeUche!:

Dude, stop being an ignoramus. There is Islamic banking in the US and various other countries. How come their banking system has not been islamicized? BTW the approval of Islamic banking was done under Soludo,
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by gtrust: 10:28pm On Jun 24, 2011
The CBN is NOT a private bank!
The CBN governor cannot be removed until he completes his 'tenure'.
He obviously can be 'impeached' by decree and that has never been tried b4!

I guess it is always easier to let them complete their tenure and the President
can decide to extend etc etc,
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by chamber2(m): 10:30pm On Jun 24, 2011

Are you ok?How is the CBN a private bank and who are the supposed shareholders?

Pls tell me cos i need to buy a cbn share shocked shocked
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Sunofgod(m): 10:32pm On Jun 24, 2011
gtrust:

The CBN is NOT a private bank!
The CBN governor cannot be removed until he completes his 'tenure'.
He obviously can be 'impeached' by decree and that has never been tried b4!

I guess it is always easier to let them complete their tenure and the President
can decide to extend etc etc,

Shows how little you know. . . . . .Stop guessing

Do you think the Federal Govt own CBN?
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by gtrust: 10:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
Islamic banking is a very good thing!
They do NOT charge interest on loans,
clients are expected to make a contribution from their
profit in good faith to the bank!

You don't need to be muslim to bank with them, I understand!
I wish the thing can start now now, I need loan I beg!

At same time, it brings competition to other banks re their interest rate.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by violent(m): 10:38pm On Jun 24, 2011
Sun of god:

The Finance minister is appointed by the Federal Govt and certainly cannot sack the CBN Governor.

She can undermine his position though and cause problems for him - just as he could do the same to her.

"The CBN is a private bank". . .hahahaha! chei, my belle o!
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by chamber2(m): 10:39pm On Jun 24, 2011
Dude, stop being an ignoramus. There is Islamic banking in the US and various other countries. How come their banking system has not been islamicized? BTW the approval of Islamic banking was done under Soludo,

You too stop smoking weed.Is the US Islamic bank Sharia compliant?Does someone has to lose his hands because he/she contravened the US Islamic bank principles.How many times did you see the US fed chairman blowing trumpet about the Islamic bank.Why would our own CBN governor champion this course?

The so called Islamic bank should be run like any other financial institution in Nigeria, obeying the same law and having the same level of supervision.Anything short of this is considered inimical to the unity and continuous existence of the Nigerian entity.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by chamber2(m): 10:41pm On Jun 24, 2011
Do you think the Federal Govt own CBN?

Who owns the cbn please and do provide justification for your claims that the cbn is a private bank.Maybe i could learn from you.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by violent(m): 10:43pm On Jun 24, 2011
You too stop smoking weed[b].Is the US Islamic bank Sharia compliant?Does someone has to lose his hands because he/she contravened the US Islamic bank principles[/b].How many times did you see the US fed chairman blowing trumpet about the Islamic bank.Why would our own CBN governor champion this course?

LMAO!

Chei! see another person displaying Ignorance!  this is too comical to be true!
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by chamber2(m): 10:44pm On Jun 24, 2011
Chei! see another person displaying Ignorance! this is too comical to be true!

Hey!What is comical about my statement?
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by 3kay945(m): 10:45pm On Jun 24, 2011
@poster, nope, but the presidnt can
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by violent(m): 10:47pm On Jun 24, 2011
chamber2:

Hey!What is comical about my statement?

Because you think those who contravene Islamic Banking principles could lose their hands or get stoned to death. . .dude, you should have read a bit on Sharia Banking and Investment before making an argument against it.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Remii(m): 10:47pm On Jun 24, 2011
gtrust:

Islamic banking is a very good thing!
They do NOT charge interest on loans,
clients are expected to make a contribution from their
profit in good faith to the bank!

You don't need to be muslim to bank with them, I understand!
I wish the thing can start now now, I need loan I beg!

At same time, it brings competition to other banks re their interest rate.

May God bless you, until Nigerians start seeing thing from clear perspective without religious or tribal colouration it will be difficult to make progress.

Most of people opposing intrest free banking are just against the name Islamic, not the baniking system. In real Islamic banking, when you borrow money to trade, both parties share the profit and loss, that way the bank will do all it could to support you, since you are partners more or less, not like common bank in which your interest continues to grow even when the bank clearly knows the business has failed.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by NaijaNaWaa: 10:48pm On Jun 24, 2011
The Finance Minister cannot remove the CBN governor. In fact, the CBN governor does not even report to the Finance Minster. Only the president can remove the CBN governor. This is authoritative. You can google for the CBN Act for details.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by tbaba1234: 10:48pm On Jun 24, 2011
What is this fear about islamic banking?? It is simply[b] non-interest banking [/b]. You don't have to be a muslim to use the bank and you will still have your conventional banks. The banks will be subject to CBN regulations also.

Geez, i need to start  distributing 'chill pills'.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2011
Glad someone raised the issue of islamic banking, WTF, is it about? Is it a way to ismalize nigeria or another way of re-colonising us
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Sunofgod(m): 10:52pm On Jun 24, 2011
The President cannot single handedly remove the CBN Governor - Just as the President cannot single handedly appoint a CBN Governor.

The CBN is 'Banker to the Governmant' and is not owned by the Government.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by chamber2(m): 10:53pm On Jun 24, 2011
Because you think those who contravene Islamic Banking principles could lose their hands or get stoned to death. . .dude, you should have read a bit on Sharia Banking and Investment before making an argument against it.

You are the one missing it.What does the phrase ''Sharia compliant '' mean to you?From the recent practices and experience of the sharia system i don't think i need someone to tell me what that phrase represents.

I am not against Islamic banking mind you.But it should be run like any other financial institution with applicable laws and supervision.You don't do this things in a supposedly secular state.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Remii(m): 10:57pm On Jun 24, 2011
tbaba1234:

What is this fear about islamic banking?? It is simply[b] non-interest banking [/b]. You don't have to be a muslim to use the bank and you will still have your conventional banks. The banks will be subject to CBN regulations also.

Geez, i need to start  distributing 'chill pills'.

the "fear" is just the word "Islamic", some people are so blinded that if the give them arabic bible they will not touch it, this has happened in my presence,
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jun 24, 2011
[b]I dont care if it is Sharia compliant or not. Its free and open for every dik and harry who is willing to tender collateral and display an excellent biz plan. And you can get a loan with 0% percent interest and thats beautiful.
I am a core day star member and I find this extremely appealing about the Islamic Banking System. It is the same system in Dubai operated by the DIB. Or where did you think those white developers who transformed Dubai got the loans from. They got it from the DIB (Dubai Islamic Bank) and the AIB, and they can only use it to invest in that country.
We are talking about cool cash made available to the growth of the economy, with no interest at all, all you have to do is pay it back at a stipulated period.
Islamic banking has nothing to do with Sharia. And with the global depression, many countries in the world are adopting this humane system of banking that doesnt turn risk-takers to mules for all these fraudulent fronts called banks who are ready to cash in on your hardwork through their duplitious systems.
Even the so-called Federal Govt Funded BOI (Bank of Industry) which is heavily ladden with favoritism, insider-connection and many defects kill business people with their heartless 18% interest. And thats why many business men dont even go near them.
If SLS could pull this off, I am sure the North, and those who take their time to understand what this is about would benefit tremediously from it. This is a VERY bold move.
And I am so excited for this to happen and I hope we Christains too can do something so christ-like as well.[/b]
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by violent(m): 11:01pm On Jun 24, 2011
chamber2:

You are the one missing it.What does the phrase ''Sharia compliant '' mean to you?From the recent practices and experience of the sharia system i don't think i need someone to tell me what that phrase represents.

I am not against Islamic banking mind you.But it should be run like any other financial institution with applicable laws and supervision.You don't do this things in a supposedly secular state.

It's been explained up there already!

Sharia Banking is when Banks don't charge interest rates on loans. (this definition is too simple to expressively define the subject)

Sharia Investment refers to investment in companies that only engage in services not prohibited according to Islamic law.  In this case, a mutual fund engaging in Sharia Investment will not invest in companies that sell alcohol, pork, or engage in services such as gambling!. . . . and NO!  you don't need special banks to run Islamic Banking. . .normal Banks can offer Islamic Banking products.  British banks like Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Llyods. . .etc all have Islamic Banking units with portfolios running in billions of pounds.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jun 24, 2011
Mak una try am with unity bank nao
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by wesley80(m): 11:08pm On Jun 24, 2011
The CBN governor can only be removed before the end of his tenure by the President acting on a majority supported motion from the Senate on grounds of misconduct or infirmity of mind - if i recall correctly.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Remii(m): 11:12pm On Jun 24, 2011
ferdiii:

Mak una try am with unity bank nao

lol
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by 9javoice1(m): 11:29pm On Jun 24, 2011
since beer sellers and other sharia prohibited business (though legal in national laws) are not allow to borrow money from this islamic bank,that simply make it bad for such society like ours and should not be allow.
do you guys think that we can be decive by the word "interest free" what about the silent information of division in it such as "sharia prohibit but lawfuly legal".
our muslim brothers thinks we are stupid. that is why I still believe that many nigerian muslims support boko haram struggle but just dislike the way they are going about it.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 24, 2011
9ja voice:

since beer sellers and other sharia prohibited business (though legal in national laws) are not allow to borrow money from this islamic bank,that simply make it bad for such society like ours and should not be allow.
do you guys think that we can be decive by the word "interest free" what about the silent information of division in it such as "sharia prohibit but lawfuly legal".
our muslim brothers thinks we are silly. that is why I still believe that many nigerian muslims support boko haram struggle but just dislike the way they are going about it.

Let Nigerian pastors with all their filthy wealth create their own. And they can borrow it to brothel operators and pimps.
Every Religion has its dos and donts. As long as they would borrow it to developers like me, and other business thats ethical, they are a great opportunity.
Re: Can The Finance Minister Remove The CBN Governor? by 9javoice1(m): 11:42pm On Jun 24, 2011
the only different between boko haram and sanusi is violent. the haram boys blv in violent to achive their goal while sanusi blv in muslim majority in the house to achive the same goal.
that goal as we all know is "islamization of nigeria". but as difficult as arabs to take over jerusalem so it is for you guys to take over nigeria.
usman dan fodio started it, ahmed bello blv and prophecy strongly about it, sanusi boko haram and nigerian muslims wants to be part of it in other to achive it. shame.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Naira Trades 1,498/$ At Official Market, CBN Tackles Racketeers / External Reserve: Across The US$40bn Threshold, And Counting / What Business Can I Invest 100,000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.