Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Is It wrong to correct ones parent - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It wrong to correct ones parent (1639 Views)

I Tried To Correct Her, What I Got Were Three Slaps, Husband Tells Court / Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / How Do You Correct Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It wrong to correct ones parent by johnshagb(m): 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2009
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by posakosa(m): 4:19pm On Aug 30, 2009
, Maybe its the way she does it, it makes his ego feel challenged.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by ima1(f): 5:34pm On Aug 30, 2009
i think its with Nigerian men, they don't like to be corrected or admit they are wrong, my dad never said sorry when he was wrong and we were right. we were just supposed to accept it like it was natural, i think they sometimes feel inferior when corrected, and want to be seen as the oga of the house, and its their way or none other. no matter how you do it, they still feel the same way.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MrCrackles(m): 5:37pm On Aug 30, 2009
I dont think it is as long as it is in a polite way. . . .
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MUZBO(m): 6:11pm On Aug 30, 2009
@Ima1 has said it all. Its Nigerian Men o! Most will never accept they're wrong. I pray I'm not like that with my kids. How can you be right 100% of the time and what type of example do you want to show to your kids if you refuse to accept you're wrong sometimes?
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 30, 2009
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by posakosa(m): 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2009
yea, I concur, the humur thing works a lil'bit.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MUZBO(m): 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2009
chaircover:

no one can be 100% right 100% of the time

Could it be the way you communicate your correction

I find that turning the issue into a joke and having a laugh about things makes it easier to put your point accross. I do that to my mum and it works for me.
We are talking Dads here! Try correcting your Dad the next time he tells you not to watch TVand see if he'll laugh with you.
Women easily accept mistakes relative to men.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
Its not a crime but wait until you are old enough to do so and call his bluff shld he unecessarily decide to get angry.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MUZBO(m): 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2009
There you go again! Its not discipline, its accepting mistakes.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MUZBO(m): 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2009
There you go again! Its not discipline, its accepting mistakes.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 30, 2009
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by johnshagb(m): 10:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
Thanks guyz you are really helping
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by MUZBO(m): 10:22pm On Aug 30, 2009
chaircover:

Don't the two to some degree go hand in hand?

A parent who fails to accept correction from his wife or child when he is so clearly wrong is more than likely to be a disciplinarian.
I catch your drift but its not all inclusive. My mum is also a 'disciplinarian' but readily accepts mistakes now. She might not say 'I was wrong' but she'll readily say: you are/were right! It makes a lot of difference to hear either!
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by ifyalways(f): 1:13am On Aug 31, 2009
Its not a crime to correct your dad,Poster but like every other adult, the way and manner of trying to correct or putting the correction across matters else it wud be misunderstood as an insult.If u want to correct your dad,be sure u are not eating off him or sleeping under his roof  undecided Plus If u as a youth are one of the types that dont like to be corrected or see correction as insults then u have no biz correcting anyone.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by spoilt(f): 1:19am On Aug 31, 2009
Is your dad one of those dads who is always right? At least you guys are attempting to correct him. grin He doesnt have to admit he's wrong. just say your piece and walk away. Lol
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by Sissy3(f): 1:20am On Aug 31, 2009
MrCrackles:

I dont think it is as long as it is in a polite way. . . .

ima1:

i think its with Nigerian men, they don't like to be corrected or admit they are wrong, my dad never said sorry when he was wrong and we were right. we were just supposed to accept it like it was natural, i think they sometimes feel inferior when corrected, and want to be seen as the oga of the house, and its their way or none other. no matter how you do it, they still feel the same way.

posakosa:

,  Maybe its the way she does it,  it makes his ego feel challenged.

definitely agree with these!
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by chiogo(f): 1:23am On Aug 31, 2009
LOL, isn't it so with most naija parents?

Best thing is to zip it or wait till you no longer live under his roof, like someone mentioned.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by agabaI23(m): 1:25am On Aug 31, 2009
Let your mum talk to your dad inside the house. How old are you?

How would you feel if your 20 year old is telling you that you are wrong?

May be your mother is telling him he is wrong, and you will come around and say Daddy you are wrong.

That will be adding salt to injury. Already he is wounded that a woman is correcting him ( not a bad thing) then his own child is adding to to the 'insult'.

The manna is what matters!
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by kellorah: 1:26am On Aug 31, 2009
Na, not just Nigerian parents cos my dad is like that. Anyways, we've given up on trying to argue our point (without being rude of course). All we do is just laugh among ourselves, or just speak Igbo. LMAO! Maybe it's just a guy thing. Same way some boyfriends don't like apologising when they're in the wrong.

Anyway, life goes on.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by chiogo(f): 1:28am On Aug 31, 2009
kellorah:

Na, not just Nigerian parents cos my dad is [b][/b]like that. Anyways, we've given up on trying to argue our point (without being rude of course). All we do is just laugh among ourselves, or just speak Igbo. LMAO! Maybe it's just a guy thing. Same way some boyfriends don't like apologising when they're in the wrong.

Anyway, life goes on.
Your dad is not Nigerian?
maybe it's not just Nigerian parents but Nigerian parents take it to another level. grin
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by kellorah: 1:30am On Aug 31, 2009
9ja folks will be worse in that area. Gosh. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin They're so extra. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by C2H5OH(f): 1:30am On Aug 31, 2009
Yup, keyword there is polite
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by agabaI23(m): 1:32am On Aug 31, 2009
kellorah:

Na, not just Nigerian parents cos my dad is like that. Anyways, we've given up on trying to argue our point (without being rude of course). All we do is just laugh among ourselves, or just speak Igbo. LMAO! Maybe it's just a guy thing. Same way some boyfriends don't like apologising when they're in the wrong.

Anyway, life goes on.
Thank you. I was about asking what is it about 'it is nigerian thing' slogan about everything. Most people have not lived with people from other culture.

This issue is just a male thing nad male ego has no boundary. It is just that female- biased laws have tamed the male ego in the western world otherwise there is no difference anywhere.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by kellorah: 1:34am On Aug 31, 2009
Ahn ahn. Wot biased female laws? cheesy cheesy cheesy Didn't know we had those.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by agabaI23(m): 1:37am On Aug 31, 2009
kellorah:

Ahn ahn. Wot biased female laws? cheesy cheesy cheesy Didn't know we had those.

Where do you reside? That will help me to answer your questions undecided
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by chiogo(f): 1:38am On Aug 31, 2009
well, both my parents are like that. probably worse with my mom tongue
That's why I called it a naija parents thing. not just a man thing.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by agabaI23(m): 1:43am On Aug 31, 2009
Chiogo you are just a teenager! so you may be not be in the best position to correct your parents in most cases.

I tried correcting my teacher when I was in secondary school because he was a drunkard. He used the word 'pronouncing' to refer to the growth of the tail feather of a fowl and i thought he was drunk. Later, while I was studying, I felt ashamed. You may be smart but experience is comes to play in many cases.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by chiogo(f): 1:48am On Aug 31, 2009
LOL I know, that's why I said it's best to zip it.

But it's not even moral correction, I dare not. Just regular stuff like say, something on TV. grin
But yeah basically, I try not to correct them.
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by kellorah: 1:49am On Aug 31, 2009
agabaI23:

Where do you reside? That will help me to answer your questions undecided

UK.

Agaba: Sometimes a teenager can be smarter than their parent/s.  undecided
Re: Is It wrong to correct ones parent by agabaI23(m): 2:05am On Aug 31, 2009
kellorah:

UK.

Agaba: Sometimes a teenager can be smarter than their parent/s.  undecided
That was why i said 'many' cases. Having said that, in most cases, they may just be claiming smart when they know nothing except when it has to do with computer games and other technical stuff which most adults have no time to get acquinted with. Ask McCain!

If you live in the UK, you will know cop happy women are. So you sure know what Maggie did for the birds, don't you? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Ingredients Of A Lasting And Happy Marriage? / Need Advice, No Insult Please / Quick Question: Who Does Tunde Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.