Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,536 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) (20592 Views)

History Of Nigerian Naira, Symbol, Sign And Worth. / SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today / Brief History Of The Fall Of The Nigerian Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Naijji: 2:23pm On Jun 16, 2016
Wrinehill
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by frisky2good(m): 2:27pm On Jun 16, 2016
If I have to explain it, it will be longer than the article. The article is a layman's explanation of some of the features of the new CBN forex policy.

Taryur3:
d
Like seriously I cnt read all...what is he saying.?

1 Like

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by obailala(m): 2:28pm On Jun 16, 2016
Coldfeets:
Mr. Obailala, I know this is not part of the message you're trying to pass along but, please are you in anyway related to Madam lala..sticlala? tongue
lol... I have never met Lala before, neither am I aware of any relationship with Lala; and I'm not sure oga Lala is a 'madam.' Why do you ask?
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by GeebeeM(m): 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
I pray this ends well
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Starlet50(m): 2:31pm On Jun 16, 2016
winkmart:
[size=20pt]THIS IS WHY I DIDNT STUDY ECONOMICS...I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND A THING....ALL I WANT TO SEE IS $1 TO MAYBE N50[/size]

Seconded
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by meltiplexer: 2:33pm On Jun 16, 2016
mondbest:
Someone should summarize the full story for me please.

pls help summarize na,biko..............ejoooooo..........sansan

i can do it but am busy with my naijabet stuff
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by BizBloke(m): 2:34pm On Jun 16, 2016
obailala:
https://aguntasolo.co/the-price-club-the-new-nigerian-naira-6e9613715acb#.fm5meaqgo

Good explanation so far but like I always say for Nigerian things, "...when it's implemented, we'll figure."

So while waiting it out, I'll read the other sections of his post.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by MrGerald(m): 2:35pm On Jun 16, 2016
Who paid him? Asking rhetorically though
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by OlujobaSamuel: 2:37pm On Jun 16, 2016
na wao o, so no be on top this one I commented before. God see una. I dey com.
I don com. oya take am;
OlujobaSamuel:
long but fun reading through. will continue later.
modified
E be like sey I don finish.
wetin I see;
we now have an nnpc, independent oil marketers, and others structure.
In this case cbn won't trade daily like nnpc but once in a while when necessary.
I also felt we have people having fx outside the system(home and abroad) not releasing it due to the buying price(197) which is at significant variance, sorry, difference with the selling price(350), this will make people sell fx more into the system because the difference now will be insignificant.
You can also source for your fx in advance if you think you have the cash now which you might not have in future when the need arises, you can also speculate the price of fx in advance if you can study the factors involve and ready to take the risk.
We now have big boys that will sit, wine and dine with the cbn, let's hope the cbn will know how and when to differentiate between a regulator and operator, for these guys might wake up one day, cause artificial scarcity through speculation(I don't know how to explain to non financial students) and crash the price the next minute.
I think the CBN should look at the case of insider abuse/trading, because I'm sure they will try to mop up fx to raise up the price since it's a demand and supply market.
I tried, make another person take over.
cc; dmighty

1 Like

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by PastorAji(m): 2:39pm On Jun 16, 2016
I have a feeling that the Forex Issue will play out like Fuel

Though it might get to a point where people will want to form syndicate and hoard FOREX causing unnecessary scarcity.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by bolt000(m): 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2016
stcool:
[b][/b]

That is why people like you remain where u are...how long can reading to liberate your life get! grin
Your Stupidity Deserves No Reply From Me. Play Off.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jun 16, 2016
I see naira exvhanging for N500 to $1 in the next couple of weeka which will drop to N250 -N320 range. That range will need to steady out before any major spikes or deeps may be recorded
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by atirolu(m): 2:43pm On Jun 16, 2016
Haven't carefully read this piece I came to conclude that this new policy is a test that doesn't have any economy policy direction ( try and error policy) it may fail and it may succeeded in solving part of the economic problem. That is if the dollar go so high nigerian will shift based to locally made product. That's doesn't mean politicians wouldn't send their children abroad to school anyway.

That is my little understanding of the police don't quote me
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Taryur3(m): 2:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
frisky2good:
If I have to explain it, it will be longer than the article. The article is a layman's explanation of some of the features of the new CBN forex policy.

Thanks...
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by daygee12: 2:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
Wow this is a very good article so to say, i now believe Nigeria will be Greater.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by pimplucious: 2:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
The first couple of people to coment on this post has nothing to say other than "the post is too long" this goes to buttress the saying that "Nigerians don't read"

The post is so Brilliant I had to read it twice btw.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by cassyrooy(m): 2:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
This government ain't totally stupid, they just create a bad hypothesis, and a good one, when the bad one fails, its being credited to the past administration and when it turns out good, they expect us to stop expecting better treatment from them.

Point is, why tighten the lid, when you sure know it can't keep shut for long?

Its outrightly a case of, political rebranding, damage the things on ground to later recreate it for vainglorious purposes.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
Wow, brilliant article. Saves me the stress of my daily economics exposition to my friends .
Nigeria would be great again
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Richydos(m): 2:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
ReabridCharles:
Truly, God should help you not to eat your words.

The market forces will now come to play at the table. The move by the government is indeed a good move come too late. When people were calling for it, they were silent. Only dishing out and not taking now. Now the experiment has failed, they are running back to the basics.

This government has done real damage to the economy. That's a point you and I can agree upon. But with dis move, it's time to clear up some mess. The government can now spend it's time worrying about other tins aside forex.

I never liked Buhari, I have my reasons but it doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed. If he does succeed, he just won me over to his side. Then if he doesn't, I guess I just have to keep hating him

Thanks op... good one... keep the analysis coming...
Well written Mr op.... But on Mr Buhari hatred hmmmmm my broda I also can't really explain while I hate him like poo but his inability to even implement his almighty acclaimed change mantra only helps in increasing d hate..... Well my legs are crossed watching him sha
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 16, 2016
pimplucious:
The first couple of people to coment on this post has nothing to say other than "the post is too long" this goes to buttress the saying that "Nigerians don't read"

The post is so Brilliant I had to read it twice btw.
Exactly, and as is obvious , the traffic is soo slow on this thread. Had it been a yeyebrity celebrity thread or one nonsense politics or romance thread, it would have hit page 5 by now.
Many Nigerians aren't brilliant, that's why our leaders take us for a ride.

4 Likes

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by nurey(m): 2:56pm On Jun 16, 2016
Nice piece. Very informative and clear, anybody waiting for summary would wait till 2000 and eternity.

We call our self educated graduates and common few pages of information we can't read and digest
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by ideaz: 2:58pm On Jun 16, 2016
Best exposition and well written article on nairaland in ages.

Thanks OP.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by OlujobaSamuel: 2:59pm On Jun 16, 2016
atirolu:
Haven't carefully read this piece I came to conclude that this new policy is a test that doesn't have any economy policy direction ( try and error policy) it may fail and it may succeeded in solving part of the economic problem. That is if the dollar go so high nigerian will shift based to locally made product. That's doesn't mean politicians wouldn't send their children abroad to school anyway.

That is my little understanding of the police don't quote me
am sorry, it's either you are unnecessarily sentimental to whatever beliefs you hold against the government or you know next to nothing about the economy(fx market in particular).
we have 4options, I will state it so you choose the best or state yours.
1, maintain status quo and careless about the economic crisis.
2, maintain status quo and inject the economy with our reserve without bothering on what we generate into the economy.
3. outright devaluation.
4. float the market(demand and supply as the determinants)

1 Like

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by ideaz: 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
meltiplexer:

pls help summarize na,biko..............ejoooooo..........sansan

i can do it but am busy with my naijabet stuff

The article is the summarized version na.... If you fail to read this you will have yourself to blame.
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by piagetskinner(m): 3:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
i hope the CBNs trial and error policy favours the economy someday
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by Dakad: 3:02pm On Jun 16, 2016
Very educative an expository. I have learnt a lot. Just hope PMB will stop these experiment and seek professional advice on any economy matter. Most people may not like this, if Nigeria is a normal country where they focuse is system and structure rather than individual, PMB would have perform better as EFCC chairman. But in Nigeria, you have to be President to make desired impact bcs our system and structure don't work. Mind you I'm PMB fan and I wish him well. Because I can wait to see a President that will make meaningful impact in this country. I'm in my 30s, I have not seen any and I pray PMB proof me wrong
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by NovusHomo(m): 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
Inception:
angry
The comments of some folks on this thread brings to reality the consequence of serious intellectual laziness , indolence and lethargy, especially among our youths(unfortunately).

How can someone open his smellymouth to say that he/she cannot read such an insightful and educative post by the OP and is asking for a summary?

This is really sad!

You are being too harsh. What if a person truely cannot read? Do you blame them? Please show some understanding and compassion towards our half/poorly educated youth. cry
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by tee10: 3:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
modath:

It's make or break time, if this doesn't revive the economy then deliverance is the next line of action. smiley

This will not FIX all the problems with the economy

We still have deep structural problems, power, transports road etc and a system of govt than will lead to failure even with d best of intentions

After a year of experiments, using Nigerians as lab rats, hundreds have lost there jobs Buhari is finally listening

Like feyi said in ds article PMB is back in office a second time to LEARN economics

Hope he will EAR now when sound advice is given

1 Like

Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by gabrielniy(m): 3:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
In a recessed economy where most citizens are crippled with the fear of the unknown, this is the best opportunity to break even. The market population stands at advantage for those who can take risks.
Educative piece
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by akanbimustaphao(m): 3:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
The writer tried gan Ooo, but the problem is that I didn't understand all what he wrote #bring_back_our_naira
Re: The Price Club: The New Nigerian Naira (best Layman's Explanation) by chiteny(m): 3:19pm On Jun 16, 2016
Very revealing piece. I took my time to read through and i urge all those calling for summary to do same. Be patient and read through.

Now lets watch and see how things play out from Monday. I hope Nigerian economics works with this theory ( i know from the past that what works abroad normally dont work here in Nigeria)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Sells Dollars To BDCs Below Market Rate At ₦‎1,101/$1 / FG Says Power Generation Hits All-Time High At 4,600MW / My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.