Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,310 members, 7,954,237 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:11 PM

My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK (20941 Views)

Nneoma Anosike Sues Wema Bank For Illegal Use Of Photo / Wema Bank Appoints New Non-executive Director / Wema Bank Launches Solar-powered Mobile Branch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by gElite: 9:42am On Nov 29, 2015
Before I go on, please note this is not a sponsored post or an attempt to tarnish the image of the said bank. I know they are very active on social media platforms. So I believe i can be heard via this medium. This actually happened to my mum.

Just last month she told me to help her withdraw some amount from an ATM nearby, on getting there I discovered that all the money in her account was gone. A complaint was made and we were told there was a fraudulent transaction on her card so her account was temporary blocked till all investigations are concluded. They showed us the cash that was being held pending when all investigations are completed.. In my mind, i was like.. Good job! You guys are performers.
We were advised to block the card and request a new one. At this point my mum was like, they should block it and about getting a new one, Forget it. She said she wouldn't mind queueing to get her cash. So long it is safe.

We waited for about 3 weeks then we got a credit alert of the amount that was temporarily held but we didn't get a refund for the said fraudulent transaction (Voice mail things) although we really didn't bother because it was just about 1000 naira for Web recharge.

Just two days ago, Friday the 27th of November, she went to the bank (to queue of course) and withdraw her money. She was told she didn't have any money in her account that there was a repeated N1000 pay with capture transactions on her account till all cash was gone. So I asked few questions..

1. What happened to the blocked ATM?
2. What happened to the N4 per SMS alert she gets per transaction? Or is she defaulting for any month thereby making her suspended from using this service as we didn't get any alert?

They said they would look into it and get back to us. So we asked if there was any chance of recovering this cash because we remembered what happened to the last one as this case is not of the cash being held. Then the customer representative pointing at a member of staff told us.. "see that man over there, His last month salary was wiped clean not too long after payment and up till now it hasn't been rectified so she can't really comment on that" then I smiled.

When this issue was raised in my house, my bro said up till last month when his old wema atm expired, he said he could use both the old verve and new Mastercard atms to withdraw cash on any atm.. Was like, I don't bilivit.. Sis also shared experience of her friend's husband. He said he had to let go of his cash.

We have called purple connect and we were told this is being looked into. Be sure to get an update from me when I hear from them.

Now my advise to all Nairalanders ... It is very evident that WEMA bank hasn't gotten it's e-channel thing right, so my advice,
1. Maintain a savings account with them because they have fairly reasonable interest compared to other banks I have used.
2. Steer clear of their e-channels for now at least till they get things right. I'll recommend gtb, access or diamond. But GTB most especially.

What are your experiences with Nigerian banks?

cc: lalastical

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 29, 2015
Regional bank turn National Bank!

Chisos!
Make I go close my account asap tomorrow

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by ejamahrandy: 9:55am On Nov 29, 2015
are you for real

2 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by damton(m): 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
In as much as i understand your grouse , It pretty sounds to me like you just de-advertised a bank and glorified others.

Hope we don't have The aforementioned banks loyal staffs and customers in the house. perhaps the might hold contrary opinions.

Anyway, it's quite instructive .
Noted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
One thing you GATS know is that Nigerian Banks are like the quote, "One man's meat is another man's poison" You go to some place you hear his is the best bank and at another the worst.
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by DICKtator: 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
If you suspect anything fraudulent about the bank. After purple connect gives feedback that isn't satisfactory,I think there is a regulatory agency you can report to

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by adonbilivit: 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
banks dey use bvn as excuse to seize people money come dey invest am. #myobservation

6 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by tintingz(m): 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
WEMA na bank?

Access>>> bank all the way.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by nigeriancuban: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
What can I say,end time banks!!
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by helphelp: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
We dey hear
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by justicejay(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
Happy Sunday to that man who's salary was wiped grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by steffans(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
Is Wema still operating grin

5 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by djWALE(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
EnD tImE xPeRiEnCe
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
x
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by SeXistBaStaRd(m): 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2015
Wema Bank?...Never heard of them...well that's why they need to hire IT Personell but they will be acting like Idiots...In this present age, Banks have two Security Guards

A.cyber One and a Physical One...Trust me If Cyber Thieves break into your vault, you won't know how to wail smiley

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by NwaNimo1(m): 1:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
End Time Bank - cheesy
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Hoii(m): 1:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
Wema na bank?
I just don't like them, dunno why
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by marytmatthew(f): 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
WEMA bank still exist?
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
Lies everywhere...

1 Share

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by lebete3000: 2:01pm On Nov 29, 2015
gElite:
Before I go on, please note this is not a sponsored post or an attempt to tarnish the image of the said bank. I know they are very active on social media platforms. So I believe i can be heard via this medium. This actually happened to my mum.

Just last month she told me to help her withdraw some amount from an ATM nearby, on getting there I discovered that all the money in her account was gone. A complaint was made and we were told there was a fraudulent transaction on her card so her account was temporary blocked till all investigations are concluded. They showed us the cash that was being held pending when all investigations are completed.. In my mind, i was like.. Good job! You guys are performers.
We were advised to block the card and request a new one. At this point my mum was like, they should block it and about getting a new one, Forget it. She said she wouldn't mind queueing to get her cash. So long it is safe.

We waited for about 3 weeks then we got a credit alert of the amount that was temporarily held but we didn't get a refund for the said fraudulent transaction (Voice mail things) although we really didn't bother because it was just about 1000 naira for Web recharge.

Just two days ago, Friday the 27th of November, she went to the bank (to queue of course) and withdraw her money. She was told she didn't have any money in her account that there was a repeated N1000 pay with capture transactions on her account till all cash was gone. So I asked few questions..

1. What happened to the blocked ATM?
2. What happened to the N4 per SMS alert she gets per transaction? Or is she defaulting for any month thereby making her suspended from using this service as we didn't get any alert?

They said they would look into it and get back to us. So we asked if there was any chance of recovering this cash because we remembered what happened to the last one as this case is not of the cash being held. Then the customer representative pointing at a member of staff told us.. "see that man over there, His last month salary was wiped clean not too long after payment and up till now it hasn't been rectified so she can't really comment on that" then I smiled.

When this issue was raised in my house, my bro said up till last month when his old wema atm expired, he said he could use both the old verve and new Mastercard atms to withdraw cash on any atm.. Was like, I don't bilivit.. Sis also shared experience of her friend's husband. He said he had to let go of his cash.

We have called purple connect and we were told this is being looked into. Be sure to get an update from me when I hear from them.

Now my advise to all Nairalanders ... It is very evident that WEMA bank hasn't gotten it's e-channel thing right, so my advice,
1. Maintain a savings account with them because they have fairly reasonable interest compared to other banks I have used.
2. Steer clear of their e-channels for now at least till they get things right. I'll recommend gtb, access or diamond. But GTB most especially.

What are your experiences with Nigerian banks?

cc: lalastical

GTBank of life!!!!

3 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Dindondin(m): 2:01pm On Nov 29, 2015
Who stole my red pen?
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 2:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
GTB is their father

1 Like

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by PrinceNwokeji: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2015
And and dis yeye bank they ask us to use for my allowii(Nysc). I hate dis bank
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by kushma(m): 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2015
Don't know details about the bank but for me the best bank in Nigeria now gtb. Trust me try out their services
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by just2endowed: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2015
This is sad
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by lordcyl3(m): 2:05pm On Nov 29, 2015
Fidelity bank is the best bank in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Joeself1(m): 2:08pm On Nov 29, 2015
People still dey use wema bank,all these generational banks sef.... undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by pretydiva(f): 2:08pm On Nov 29, 2015
End time bank
Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by donholy28(m): 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2015
Wema and UBA....Nigeria's worst banks

12 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Adesiji77: 2:09pm On Nov 29, 2015
@gElite

Sorry about the unfavourable incident.

What you just described above could have happened in any bank. Like @damton said, your post sounded like an outright demarketing of Wema Bank. It may surprise you that Wema's online channels have been upgraded and they now compete favorably with the so-called top banks.

A few years ago, one of the banks that you recommended above was the hotbed of frauds on customers accounts until it was gradually curtailed. Rumour has it that some guys in their IT unit were helping themselves to customers' funds... lipsrsealed

Obviously, your mum's debit card has been compromised. This could have happened through the use of a compromised terminal (ATM).

However, what I find questionable is the apparent failure of the bank to block your mum's card upon request and cessation of sms alerts. The bank really needs to investigate this. Could there have been internal connivance?

You are free to lodge your complaints with CBN via the email provided below by @toluxa1 for quicker resolution.

NB: I am not an employee of Wema Bank.

Cc:Akankemi1

2 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by toluxa1(m): 2:11pm On Nov 29, 2015
This is the problem with all this new payment systems coming up. Pay with Capture! Just creating so many loop holes.

This is my advice to you. Write a detailed email like you have done here, explaining all that happened and send it to CBN. Their email for customer complaints is cpd@cbn.gov.ng
Trust me, you will get your money back.

5 Likes

Re: My Mum's Experience With WEMA BANK by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2015
This is one of the reasons I don't use any of these banks. I prefer my 'kolo' to them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bank Workers To Blow Whistle On Stashed Funds / Femi Otedola Celebrates His Mother's 86th Birthday (Photo) / Dangote Education For Employment Centre In Abia (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.