Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:14 AM

Delta Igbos In Delta State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Delta Igbos In Delta State (1430 Views)

I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude / Delta Igbos / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Delta Igbos In Delta State by Afrobeau: 6:49pm On Jun 16, 2016
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo well as well as has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo name unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based, your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?
Re: Delta Igbos In Delta State by kel5000(m): 7:06pm On Jun 16, 2016
Na Dem sabi
Re: Delta Igbos In Delta State by chukzyblingz(m): 7:22pm On Jun 17, 2016
Afrobeau:
Hello my beautiful people, I was just wondering about this. My boyfriend is from Delta state and speaks Igbo well as well as has an Igbo last name. But my question is, why is it that some Delta-Igbos try to say that they are not Igbos? Why do they hate being associated with their ancestry? Don't tell me that Igbos don't like Delta-Igbos because that shouldn't be an issue, once you are Igbo, you are Igbo and have every right to claim your Igboness lol... And by the way, I don't know any Igbos that hate Delta Igbos, it's always Delta-igbos trying to make it clear that they are not Igbo Just like Mr. Sunday Olise. I understand that there are other tribes in Delta State that are not Igbo but since Nigerian cultural system is a patriarchy, there is virtually no way that you can get an Igbo name unless your forefathers were Igbos and since Delta state has always been in the South Eastern part of Nigeria, it is very possible that the Igbos were settled there even before the so-claimed migration from the Benin-empire? I love Delta Igbos but I don't know why they dissociate themselves from their tribe. Some of them say their Igbo language is different but what they are actually referring to is their dialect, if a man from Awka in Anambra state speaks his native awka dialect a man from Eziagu in Enugu state may not understand it. I don't fully understand all of my boyfriend's dialect when he speaks in his Agbor dialect but I can piece the words together and make out the sentence... It's Igbo based, your surname is Igbo but you don't think you're Igbo enough Why is that?
You don't know anything about the people you're talking about. Don't talk about something that's much more bigger than you.

1 Like

Re: Delta Igbos In Delta State by Afrobeau: 9:01am On Jun 20, 2016
chukzyblingz:
You don't know anything about the people you're talking about. Don't talk about something that's much more bigger than you.
That's the most useless answer I've gotten on any question. The reason why I was asking was because I don't know.
Re: Delta Igbos In Delta State by chukzyblingz(m): 9:12am On Jun 20, 2016
Afrobeau:

That's the most useless answer I've gotten on any question. The reason why I was asking was because I don't know.
No, it's your brainless head that's useless. from your write up its obvious you've concluded in your mind that they are ignoring but just denying

(1) (Reply)

The Concept Of Divine Kingship In Igala Traditional Society / Do Ibos/igbos Still Practice Polygamy? / Papi Lojingo: ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.