Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,094 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers (17084 Views)

Partner With Us To Fulfill Our Promises, Amosun Urges Homeowners / 35 Times Stubborn Homeowners Refused To Move, And Faced Consequences / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 16, 2016
DIY stands for Do It Yourself.

I guess I'm a bit more seasoned a DIYer because I do automobile, home woodworking, bricklaying, welding, building, roofing, plumbing.

I will share my future DIY plans and also hope to learn from other DIY as I'm especially interested to see how things are done in Nigeria.

Suppliers please come in and offer suggestions and sale item as appropriate.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 2:12am On Jun 17, 2016
I am building two houses at the same time, one of them is roofed and ready for plumbing, electrical, windows and doors. The second one is racing towards lintel but the rains in Ibadan lately is not allowing materials to reach my site.

Plumbing:

I am self-designing a "home run" plumbing system that will have a dedicated line going to each side of a faucet directly from the manifold. A line arrives from the elevated water tower to the manifold.

I'll let anyone that is interested do their own research (YouTube is your friend) but there is no option for me to not use a "home run" system. Not using it is akin to me going out now to buy a Rakunmi instead of a car. I mean it will work but why?

I'm using a system from Viega and specifically model #36144

I've bought this and shipping it and the accompanying accessories down to Nigeria shortly. Basically 300 feet of PEX line and connectors.

Even though this is DIY, ultimately it will involve local plumber and a local supplier. I wish to involve local suppliers and plumbers for wealth distribution. I need to support our local industry.

So I will bring the trusted brand items from the US but will buy the odds and ends from a local Nigerian supplier and will be put together by a local plumber under my direction.

There's going to be 3 hot water lines (leaving 3 extra) and 5 cold water lines (leaving 3 extra) for future expansion. In regards to the expansion, I might do a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and garage as an example.

Here's a YouTube video. I've not used this before so I'm looking forward to messing with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALk3DGdflo

My plumbing supplier of choice in the US is http://www.supplyhouse.com (free fast shipping, no tax) but if you live in Nigeria, then you should give the Nigerian suppliers an opportunity.

Next will be electrical. I am hoping to find a distribution box that will allow me to feed each and every single outlet and switch on it's own fuse.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by allCopacetic: 1:01pm On Jun 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:
feed each and every single outlet and switch on it's own fuse.
grin you gotta be kidding.
Even the white house wdnt be designed that way.
That's more than an overkill,
An average all rooms ensuite three bedroom flat, for instance; will have over 30 socket and switch points, ideally.
The largest commercially available distribution board size is D12 TPN which has 36 breakers and is enough to comfortably serve probably a six bedroom duplex if the isolator is upgraded. Going by your proposed circuitry if you're building anything larger than a 3bed, say just a 4 bed bungalow for instance, then you'd have to construct a panel, or use multiple boards, which is absolutely unnecessary.
Aside from that, if every socket is fed directly from the board, you'll be looking at a substantial increase in wiring and piping cost. Infact by the time dey knack u wiring quote ehh, na u go use your hand tear your plan

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 17, 2016
allCopacetic:

grin you gotta be kidding.
Even the white house wdnt be designed that way.
That's more than an overkill,
An average all rooms ensuite three bedroom flat, for instance; will have over 30 socket and switch points, ideally.
The largest commercially available distribution board size is D12 TPN which has 36 breakers and is enough to comfortably serve probably a six bedroom duplex if the isolator is upgraded. Going by your proposed circuitry if you're building anything larger than a 3bed, say just a 4 bed bungalow for instance, then you'd have to construct a panel, or use multiple boards, which is absolutely unnecessary.
Aside from that, if every socket is fed directly from the board, you'll be looking at a substantial increase in wiring and piping cost. Infact by the time dey knack u wiring quote ehh, na u go use your hand tear your plan

I understand where you are coming from, it's the Nigerian thing of not seeing the forest for the trees. I'll excuse you.

It is my private build and not a commercial one so please expect non-Nigerian ways of applying new ideas and technology. I was hoping to get a single board but it looks like multi-board is the only solution so far. My house is divided into four zones already, so each zone with it's own panel will work.

Thanks for the input and sharing the model of the panel board, I will look it up. http://www.powertec-electrical.com/products/distribution-systems.aspx

PS: Why use piping? wink
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
kolaa007:

Contact us at FKJ Ventures

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com

You're not serious at all.

You keep spamming these threads but yet you refuse to respond to requests for:

1) Pictures

2) Prices

4 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jun 17, 2016
Here's a good video that demystifies electrical breaker box for DIYers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbDPyYAfXw

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by allCopacetic: 2:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I understand where you are coming from, it's the Nigerian thing of not seeing the forest for the trees. I'll excuse you.

It is my private build and not a commercial one so please expect non-Nigerian ways of applying new ideas and technology. I was hoping to get a single board but it looks like multi-board is the only solution so far. My house is divided into four zones already, so each zone with it's own panel will work.

Thanks for the input and sharing the model of the panel board, I will look it up. http://www.powertec-electrical.com/products/distribution-systems.aspx

PS: Why use piping? wink

First and foremost, like you said chief,.... its your build so the choices are yours to make.

Its not really a question of the Nigerian or non Nigerian thing... I'm talking about wiring regulations and standards here or abroad. Dedicating a circuit to every socket or switch is not new technology, its more of a choice

I'm not sure i see any panels in the attached link chief , those are distribution boards.

All in all i guess safety and peace of mind is what is paramount.

11 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 17, 2016
allCopacetic:

First and foremost, like you said chief,.... its your build so the choices are yours to make.

Its not really a question of the Nigerian or non Nigerian thing... I'm talking about wiring regulations and standards here or abroad. Dedicating a circuit to every socket or switch is not new technology, its more of a choice

I'm not sure i see any panels in the attached link chief , those are distribution boards.

All in all i guess safety and peace of mind is what is paramount.

It's about a Nigerian or non Nigerian thing, absolutely. You yourself opened with an example of White House, why not aso Rock? grin

The item you referenced is featured on that link. We call it the breaker box here.

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by allCopacetic: 4:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It's about a Nigerian or non Nigerian thing, absolutely. You yourself opened with an example of White House, why not aso Rock? grin

The item you referenced is featured on that link. We call it the breaker box here.
Ohh,.. .. when i said "build" a panel, i meant the fully customisable type assembled or built to user spec (pictured below) not the prefabricated ones.

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
allCopacetic:

Ohh,.. .. when i said "build" a panel, i meant the fully customisable type assembled or built to user spec (pictured below) not the prefabricated ones.

I see.

The prefab one should do for the small house but something like what you showed is what I envisioned for the bigger house.

I'm sure that fate will send me someone that'll work with me on getting one built.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by allCopacetic: 5:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
You welcome sir ,

Sure, building a panel isn't a biggie, any certified and experienced electrician can deliver on that
EgunMogaji:

I see.

The prefab one should do for the small house but something like what you showed is what I envisioned for the bigger house.

I'm sure that fate will send me someone that'll work with me on getting one built.

Thanks for sharing.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Raph01: 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
FOR YOUR QUALITY DS/BATLAN STONE COATED ROOF TILES DIRECTLY FROM DS ROOF TILE in SOUTH KOREA, CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS on PRICELIST and HOW TO GET THEM

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
allCopacetic:
You welcome sir ,

Sure, building a panel isn't a biggie, any certified and experienced electrician can deliver on that

You haven't answered the question of piping?

Why do you guys use pipes?

Aren't plastic shielded triple wires available in naija anymore?

Thank you for your time by the way.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by allCopacetic: 6:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You haven't answered the question of piping?

Why do you guys use pipes?

Aren't plastic shielded triple wires available in naija anymore?

Thank you for your time by the way.
Anytime chief,

If you're doing the regular block and mortar construction the only alternative to using conduit channels for cabling would be surface installationn; using flat cables and running them along the walls with clips, trunking is not practical for domestic installations

How else do you intend to use the three core cables ?

3 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by KolaShangOne(m): 11:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
Logical reason for electrical piping is added protection for the wire. Up in the roof, rats could eat and expose cables which might lead to electrical shock in the house.
I think it's also cheaper to repair and maintain.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jun 17, 2016
allCopacetic:

Anytime chief,

If you're doing the regular block and mortar construction the only option to using conduit channels for cabling would be surface installationn; using flat cables and running them along the walls with clips, trunking is not practical for domestic installations

How else do you intend to use the three core cables ?

I'll post my scheme later.
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jun 17, 2016
KolaShangOne:
Logical reason for electrical piping is added protection for the wire. Up in the roof, rats could eat and expose cables which might lead to electrical shock in the house.
I think it's also cheaper to repair and maintain.

You see right here are things I need to learn.

I've never had a rat issue in the US and it was out of consideration.

Now I need to add it to my scheme.

Can rats eat PEX plumbing?
Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Shawls: 2:08am On Jun 18, 2016
You people answering this guy have time to waste.Let him go and import his crew of "kokoye" builders from yankee, get them visas, pay them hourly wages, ship all the building materials from Home Depot or Lowes (just to build one single house in Elebu, Ibadan) and after all these hullabaloo, we can do a comparison of his "American White House" in 9ja to our own locally fabricated Aso Rock. After all, it's his house and he has a right to build it to his taste, abi?
Haba! nah wetin? I have a property in that very neighborhood(Oke Alaro, after the market)?one in NNPC, Apata, another 4 bedroom twin duplex(using 9ja's term) in Akala estate Akobo.In fact I used some NL's for the job & no noise at all.
What is your problem? Nah only you waka come from US?
You need to stop this nonsense.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 2:29am On Jun 18, 2016
Shawls:
You people answering this guy have time to waste.Let him go and import his crew of "kokoye" builders from yankee, get them visas, pay them hourly wages, ship all the building materials from Home Depot or Lowes (just to build one single house in Elebu, Ibadan) and after all these hullabaloo, we can do a comparison of his "American White House" in 9ja to our own locally fabricated Aso Rock. After all, it's his house and he has a right to build it to his taste, abi?
Haba! nah wetin? I have a property in that very neighborhood(Oke Alaro, after the market)?one in NNPC, Apata, another 4 bedroom twin duplex(using 9ja's term) in Akala estate Akobo.In fact I used some NL's for the job & no noise at all.

Now that you've uttered your kindergarten level gibberish, go take your meds grin

5 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 2:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Not sure how available this is in Nigeria but I'm certain it will be available or maybe in Ghana.

No need for pipes and can be laid straight from the DB to the outlets. It's steel enclosed. It's about .81 cents a foot (expensive store and can be gotten cheaper in the wild). It's manufactured about 15 minutes from me so it's a local company to me.

@AllCopacetic

1 Like

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Shawls: 5:12am On Jun 18, 2016
Why are you soliciting for it in Ghana when you have it 15mins away from you in yankee.Go get it at .81c & ship it for $2 each.Yeye man.You will end up taking Risperdal & Zyprexa by the time you finish this your chicken coop with this chronic OCD of yours.

4 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 9:12am On Jun 18, 2016
Shawls:
Why are you soliciting for it in Ghana when you have it 15mins away from you in yankee.Go get it at .81c & ship it for $2 each.Yeye man.You will end up taking Risperdal & Zyprexa by the time you finish this your chicken coop with this chronic OCD of yours.

Your meds wore off already?

Don't worry the pharmacy will soon open, yah dangly armed troglodyte grin

3 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Raph01: 9:39am On Jun 18, 2016
Shawls:
Na now U knw am?? I dorn give up already!

9 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 18, 2016
Raph01:
Na now U knw am?? I dorn give up already!

But yet you still came to advertise.

Look up the words disgruntled and hypocrite. I'm not sorry you're still sad that I didn't give my roofing job to you and you still won't get the second job grin

3 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Raph01: 10:13am On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

But yet you still came to advertise.

Look up the words disgruntled and hypocrite. I'm not sorry you're still sad that I didn't give my roofing job to you and you still won't get the second job grin
ahahahahahahahahaahahaha I laff in patois... see diz guy oo... na Aluminium roofing sheet ur mates dey buy??... After I advertised 2 U, I can give de contacts of mur than 11 clients that bought Stone coated roofing tiles 4rm BATLAN Roof jes last month... U're here ranting #BOOSIT I dey shame 4 U big tym...

God no go let Me collect ur second project... even ur first project, shey ee pass 200sqm, wey U cum here dey talk jargons... Bro. go get money and cum back 2 talk 2 Raph01 'bouh ur cubbicle project abi lah kennel, anyhw U dey call am

I dey shame 4 U big tym

11 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 18, 2016
Attention, prospective homeowners that are shopping for roofing company.

The minute that you see an ad asking you to call Olawale, make sure that you pick race cheesy

Very unprofessional and always getting banned so he has many usernames.

2 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 18, 2016
Raph01:
ahahahahahahahahaahahaha I laff in patois... see diz guy oo... na Aluminium roofing sheet ur mates dey buy??... After I advertised 2 U, I can give de contacts of mur than 11 clients that bought Stone coated roofing tiles 4rm BATLAN Roof jes last month... U're here ranting #BOOSIT I dey shame 4 U big tym...

God no go let Me collect ur second project... even ur first project, shey ee pass 200sqm, wey U cum here dey talk jargons... Bro. go get money and cum back 2 talk 2 Raph01 'bouh ur cubbicle project abi lah kennel, anyhw U dey call am

I dey shame 4 U big tym

So prospective customers, is this the kind of nefarious character that you want to be on your property?

There are other more credible sellers on here.

DO NOT patronize him or you'll have yourself to blame. This username will be banned soon and he'll create another.

3 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Raph01: 10:35am On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

So prospective customers, is this the kind of nefarious character that you want to be on your property?

There are other more credible sellers on here.

DO NOT patronize him or you'll have yourself to blame. This username will be banned soon and he'll create another.
Lolz... BATLAN Roof has been long in the industry, if U lyk carry Megaphone go White house, tell all de americans nt 2 buy roof 4rm us or tell de whole Nigerians there nt 2 buy roofs 4rm us.. na ur problem b dah... Jobless entity
Bros abeg swerve make I see prospective clients... go buy ur Aluminium roof elsewhere.. we dnt want clients like EGUNMOGAJI at BATLAN Roof... I'm outta here jor.. Kontinu ur ranting niggi tongue tongue tongue tongue

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 18, 2016
Raph01:
Lolz... BATLAN Roof has been long in the industry, if U lyk carry Megaphone go White house, tell all de americans nt 2 buy roof 4rm us or tell de whole Nigerians there nt 2 buy roofs 4rm us.. na ur problem b dah... Jobless entity
Bros abeg swerve make I see prospective clients... go buy ur Aluminium roof elsewhere.. we dnt want clients like EGUNMOGAJI at BATLAN Roof

And EgunMogaji doesn't patronize sham outfits like Batlan Roofs grin

One of my roof is already finished and is none of your concern.

Loosing an ordinary 200sqm job caused you this much pain? You must be very hungry grin

I hope your potential customers are reading all of this grin

3 Likes

Re: DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers by Raph01: 10:44am On Jun 18, 2016
EgunMogaji:

And EgunMogaji doesn't patronize sham outfits like Batlan Roofs grin

One of my roof is already find and is none of your concern.

Loosing an ordinary 200sqm job caused you this much pain? You must be very hungry grin

I hope your potential customers are reading all of this grin
lolz... Potential clients do nt behave as U do.. U fill de whole property section with bulldungs jes 'coz u wanna build a house of jes 200sqm.. Sorry is ur nickname..... BATLAN Roof does nt sell 200sqm bros.. we aint so poor as U're.. so, let de Clients that wanna buy 500sqm and above see road pass abeg.. make U shut ur mouth

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PICTURE: The Cost Of Setting Up A free range snail farming system in Nigeria. / Still searc: #6M budget, i need a land between lekki and Ajah. Post pics pls. / National Housing Fund Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.