Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,743 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** (12999 Views)

Partner With Us To Fulfill Our Promises, Amosun Urges Homeowners / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers / What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 8:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
I'm creating this thread in good faith do that we can continue in peace to share ideas amongst homeowners, get guidance from builders and for builders to show us how it's done.

Nairaland is filled with builders of excellent resume but they're not vocal for whatever personal reason. Let's encourage them to come out and share by behaving with good decorum.

Advertisers, especially the roofing signature people, I take God beg you to not post your ads here. Not an order but a plea.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 18, 2016
I'll open the floor by inviting Brabus to show me, us?, his precast lintel.

My questions are two fold.

1) How was it anchored into the walls? and

2) What was the concrete composition?

In my little way I know that this is a game changer as it'll save money, time and resource.

This was one of the chestbeatings that Erico2k2 and I were doing before the reality of Nigerian slapped us upside the head. To see it succinctly accomplished is one of the highlights of builds on here. My pride wouldn't allow me to do the necessary salutations before.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Larwin(m): 9:38pm On Aug 18, 2016
Precast lintel, wow..... Am taking the front seat. Hope to learn from ds thread.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by DUNKA(m): 10:06pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nice one smiley
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Baylam(m): 12:09am On Aug 19, 2016
Ready to learn.. space booked
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 12:28am On Aug 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Advertisers, especially the roofing signature people, I take God beg you to not post your ads here. Not an order but a plea.

Please Batlan boys... give us a break here o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 12:34am On Aug 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'll open the floor by inviting Brabus to show me, us?, his precast lintel.

My questions are two fold.

1) How was it anchored into the walls? and

2) What was the concrete composition?

In my little way I know that this is a game changer as it'll save money, time and resource.

This was one of the chestbeatings that Erico2k2 and I were doing before the reality of Nigerian slapped us upside the head. To see it succinctly accomplished is one of the highlights of builds on here. My pride wouldn't allow me to do the necessary salutations before.

I think this precast lintel should be simple.. I am sure it's like precast parapets.

1. I think, laid on top of the bricks with mortar and making sure it extended at least 1-2ft if not doing chain lintel.
2. The concrete composition should be same as normal concrete lintel... and it should also have the Y12 rods all built in.

Will it save money? May be...(depends on the cost) and also because there will be no need for carpenter and wood wastage.
But it will save time.. no more waiting for lintel to cure...
But using precast for chain lintel may be a little tricky though.

Let's hear from other Pros too.

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by NL1960: 9:26am On Aug 19, 2016
make i book space.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by write2obi(m): 10:00am On Aug 19, 2016
Following with my note pad...
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 19, 2016
mufutau55:

I think this precast lintel should be simple.. I am sure it's like precast parapets.

1. I think, laid on top of the bricks with mortar and making sure it extended at least 1-2ft if not doing chain lintel.
2. The concrete composition should be same as normal concrete lintel... and it should also have the Y12 rods all built in.

Will it save money? May be...(depends on the cost) and also because there will be no need for carpenter and wood wastage.

Hajji M.

Hajj, welcome Sir.

What about weight, how will it will be carried up on top of 9 coaches of block?

I suppose that it'll be the same way the precast parapets are carried but no one has shown that to us yet.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 19, 2016
The chained lintel isn't precast persee but they have a specific type of block that they use for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkqId3D8pU

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 19, 2016
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Onuokwu: 6:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
EgunMogaji:
I'm creating this thread in good faith do that we can continue in peace to share ideas amongst homeowners, get guidance from builders and for builders to show us how it's done.

grin grin grin They no dey hear word!

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by KolaShangOne(m): 10:53am On Aug 21, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Hajji, I Dont think it will save cost. Except the project is multi-units. Then you can't actually save cost by using metal plates as formwork.
If you still have to use wood to precast it on ground, no cost savings.

N3xt will have a better analogy.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 21, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Hajji, I Dont think it will save cost. Except the project is multi-units. Then you can't actually save cost by using metal plates as formwork.
If you still have to use wood to precast it on ground, no cost savings.

N3xt will have a better analogy.

It will save money.

Think of buying precast lintels just as we buy precast concrete blocks wink

It can be manufactured and offered by cement block maker in standard window sizes and created in a steel mold.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 2:13pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It will save money.

It can be manufactured and offered by cement block maker in standard window sizes and created in a steel mold.

Exactly my thinking.. purchased like ready made blocks.
Not for the builder to mould it.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by 3strikes: 2:43pm On Aug 21, 2016
following religiously.......
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by KolaShangOne(m): 9:15pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It will save money.

Oh. If it's buying, there are companies offering that option already in Nigeria (I know one in Ondo and one in Sango) . They precast several concrete shapes and sizes. It's not cheaper because they precast to standard concrete mixes. Definitely stronger though.

If it's buying from block makers just as you suggested above, it should be cheaper. It spreads cost of formwork across several productions.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by rotecch77(m): 9:51pm On Aug 21, 2016
Take a look at this project, its pre-cast lintel.

It will save cost,bcs you can constructed few formwork and use it to cast many lintel.

It will save cost of labour also.
It will also save material while puring it inside the formwork
It can be transfer from one site to another

The de-merit
You can't pre-cast longer beam and lintel unless you have crane to carry it.

3 Likes

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 21, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Oh. If it's buying, there are companies offering that option already in Nigeria (I know one in Ondo and one in Sango) . They precast several concrete shapes and sizes. It's not cheaper because they precast to standard concrete mixes. Definitely stronger though.

If it's buying from block makers just as you suggested above, it should be cheaper. It spreads cost of formwork across several productions.

Since it's a load bearing wall then it needs to be well sorted.

But then we also use wood and/or steel here. There are several choices.

My next build In Sha Allah will definitely be something different because I would be living back in Nigeria by them.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 21, 2016
rotecch77:
Take a look at this project, its pre-cast lintel.

It will save cost,bcs you can constructed few formwork and use it to cast many lintel.

It will save cost of labour also.
It will also save material while puring it inside the formwork
It can be transfer from one site to another

The de-merit
You can't pre-cast longer beam and lintel unless you have crane to carry it.

Very nice. We spend way too much money on overbuilding in Nigeria.

Thanks for sharing Sir.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by tushbobo(m): 11:33pm On Aug 21, 2016
Good thread egunMogaji...
Regarding lintels. One good option is to use an L steel section to hold the blocks in place. Its fast and inexpensive. It may even be removed after the blocks are set on smaller windows.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by tushbobo(m): 11:38pm On Aug 21, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Very nice. We spend way too much money on overbuilding in Nigeria.

Thanks for sharing Sir.

Correct... We overbuild and doesn't still look nice. There are other options if we are willing to explore.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 11:38pm On Aug 21, 2016
tushbobo:
Regarding lintels. One good option is to use an L steel section to hold the blocks in place. Its fast and inexpensive. It may even be removed after the blocks are set on smaller windows.

Got any sample as being used? Very informative.

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by msogunro: 11:57pm On Aug 21, 2016
mufutau55:

Got any sample as being used? Very informative.

Hajji M.

Not Naija samples, but it will still give you an idea on how it looks.

It's very important that the beam is painted with a rust inhibitor.

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 22, 2016
tushbobo:

We use that here extensively as well as pressure treated wood.

1 Like

Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 12:40am On Aug 22, 2016
msogunro:

Not Naija samples, but it will still give you an idea on how it looks.
It's very important that the beam is painted with a rust inhibitor.

Thank you. Of course I know of this and they use it majorly here (USA). I was just trying to see what they use in Naija as an alternatives. Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 1:48am On Aug 23, 2016
My blockmaker has sighted angle iron lintel in Ibadan on a new ongoing contructiom. He will send me pics.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by mufutau55(m): 2:00am On Aug 23, 2016
EgunMogaji:
My blockmaker has sighted angle iron lintel in Ibadan on a new ongoing contructiom. He will send me pics.

Very good.. I know you will surely share it... Thx.

Hajji M.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by abdulwastecx(m): 8:10am On Aug 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It will save money.

Wonderful topic by the way...
Precast lintel may not save cost when compared to similar sized in-situ cast lintel.

Here are some of the reasons why precast lintel may not be too desirable for our building type.
1. It is too heavy and very difficult to lift of placed into position. Since most building site lacks lifting equipment, precast lintel may not be desirable for small residential building.

2. It constitute more stress to the adjoining block work. This result because of poor strength of most blocks and because the projection of most of this lintel are so little into the adjoining walls

Here are some valuable advantage.
1. they are faster to cast and installed for a large project.

2. Better concrete batching, curing and general strength can achieved for precast concrete.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by EgunAnigilaje: 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Wonderful topic by the way...
Precast lintel may not save cost when compared to similar sized in-situ cast lintel.

Here are some of the reasons why precast lintel may not be too desirable for our building type.
1. It is too heavy and very difficult to lift of placed into position. Since most building site lacks lifting equipment, precast lintel may not be desirable for small residential building.

2. It constitute more stress to the adjoining block work. This result because of poor strength of most blocks and because the projection of most of this lintel are so little into the adjoining walls

Here are some valuable advantage.
1. they are faster to cast and installed for a large project.

2. Better concrete batching, curing and general strength can achieved for precast concrete.

I disagree on a few points.

1) Weight-precast lintels that we use here are very light. Definitely lighter than the granite infested lintels that we have in Nigeria.

High strength cement with stone dust should give the same result. Granite is heavy.

It doesn't need to go too far on top of the properly made block of correct composition. We mostly have shyte for blocks at home. You need a concrete saw to cut blocks here.

Two men should be able to carry a lintel that spans most regular doors and windows.

If push comes to shove a simple hoist system can be rigged up like the Ghanaians.
Re: ** Thread For Homeowners And Builders ** by Nobody: 6:04am On Sep 01, 2016
An interesting use of the common water tank in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

TREASURE HILLTOP ESTATE, ALAGBADO LAGOS, NOW SELLING! / The Basics Of Land Contract Of Sales you need to know before Buying a Land / THE PEACH PALM ESTATE ABIJO GRA, 97% SOLD OUT! CALL US NOW!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.