Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow (854 Views)

Obama Depicted As Murderous Devil In Moscow / See What South Africans Had To Say Concerning Xenophobia / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by princekevo(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
Nearly 60% of black and African people living in Russia's capital Moscow have been physically assaulted in racially motivated attacks, says a new study.

Africans working or studying in the city live in constant fear of attack, according to the report by the Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy.

A quarter of 200 people surveyed said they had been assaulted more than once. Some 80% had been verbally abused.

But the number of assaults was down from the MPC's last survey in 2002.

The report's clear conclusion was that Africans living in Russia exist in a state of virtual siege, says the BBC's Rupert Wingfield Hayes in Moscow.

Extreme violence

Many of the African respondents said they:

Avoided using the Moscow metro
Were also careful to avoid crowded public places
Did not go out on Russian national holidays or on days when there were football matches
Many of the attacks on Africans were pre-meditated and extremely violent, the report found.

One Nigerian migrant interviewed by the BBC had been repeatedly stabbed in the back and then shot.

Another man said his attacker had attempted to remove his scalp.

Officially there are some 10,000 Africans living in Moscow, but far more are believed to live there illegally - many as economic migrants.

The Moscow Protestant Chaplaincy is an English-speaking interdenominational Christian congregation that has ministered to Moscow's foreign community since 1962.

I know the first question an average Nigerian on NL will ask is what are blacks doing in Moscow in the first place,
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by tpia5: 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2009
Another man said his attacker had attempted to remove his scalp

and they call Africans barbaric.
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2009
First question is what are blacks doing in Moscow? I disagree!! Only a couple of years ago, I had every reason to move out to poland, knowing fully well what might await me as a dark complexioned citizen of the world. Not all those mentioned are illegal immigrants, so this is not about Africans moving out for illegal reasons. It is definitely a serious issue but considering the african continent is itself plagued with so much worse treatment for the same, I feel only the foreign government's can do anything to help the situation.
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by preselect(m): 4:05am On Sep 01, 2009
princekevo:

I know the first question an average Nigerian on NL will ask is what are blacks doing in Moscow in the first place,

Kobojunkie:

First question is what are blacks doing in Moscow?

and kobojunkie does the job grin
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by princekevo(m): 6:34am On Sep 01, 2009
pres-elect:

and kobojunkie does the job grin

smiley smiley smiley

@Kobo
Not every one might be well informed as you did when you got an opportunity to move to poland,
But the truth is that many africans the in Moscow got opportunity to study there and majority are students, unlike africans in other parts of the world, So these guys cant not jst quit their studies half way or confirm their tickect back home becoz of such attackes, These are issues the world should look into and find a solution to it,
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by morpheus24: 2:03pm On Sep 01, 2009
I suggest they use the law to their advantage. Buy some weapons and start shoting these crackers.
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Sep 01, 2009
princekevo:

smiley smiley smiley

@Kobo
Not every one might be well informed as you did when you got an opportunity to move to poland,
But the truth is that many africans the in Moscow got opportunity to study there and majority are students, unlike africans in other parts of the world, So these guys cant not jst quit their studies half way or confirm their tickect back home becoz of such attackes, These are issues the world should look into and find a solution to it,

But, you read my post WRONG.

I said that as a first question is uncalled for considering there are so many reasons why blacks would want to move to poland. I sited my own example there to help point to the fact that even after learning of the level of racism to expect, that did not deter me in anyway as I had already made up my mind that it was worth it. The trip was cancelled for other reasons but not because of the polish people and their choice.
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by princekevo(m): 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But, you read my post WRONG.

I said that as a first question is uncalled for considering there are so many reasons why blacks would want to move to poland. I sited my own example there to help point to the fact that even after learning of the level of racism to expect, that did not deter me in anyway as I had already made up my mind that it was worth it. The trip was cancelled for other reasons but not because of the polish people and their choice.

Well sorry fo interpreting your message wrongly,
Re: Africans 'under Siege' In Moscow by redsun(m): 8:45am On Sep 02, 2009
Eastern europeans are mostly ignorant alcoholics,their lives seems to center on vodka,with racial views hitler would have been proud of.Polish people are relatively better.

Any black person in that part of the world is risking his or her life,they are too dumb and austere to accommodate hustlers.

(1) (Reply)

How Us Spies Found Bin Laden's Hideout / Gaddafi Is Gone; What Are Africans Mourning? Analysis / Anti-obama Woman Hits Husband With Car For Not Voting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.