Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,899 members, 7,814,038 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo (2697 Views)

Study Finds That Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9% Igbo / The Yorubas Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo- Study / The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo – Study Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by NigeriaToday: 11:30pm On Jun 17, 2016
I first saw this on http://fyi.com.ng, and followed to read the full news on Ventures Africa

Four of the major coastal tribes of Western Africa: the Yoruba, Igbo, Akan and the Gaa-Adangbe are dissimilar at a glance and evidently geographic neighbours, but very closely related, if examined in detail at the genetic level.

Several studies have been employed over the years, with findings bringing up linkages of genetic similarity between differing regional ethnic groups. One in particular, conducted by Adebowale Adeyemo, Guanjie Chen, Yuanxiu Chen, the National Human Genome Centre and Howard University, and Charles Rotimi of the University of Ibadan provided results indicating the genetic similarities between the four major West African ethnic groups.

Their findings further indicated surprising genetic variance within groups, but almost none across groups, similar to the closeness of human genetics across races, showing more range within than without.

According to this landmark study there was 99.9 percent within-population variance, the between-population variance was less than 0.1 percent. This means that Yorubas, Igbos, Gaa and Akan are 99.9 percent similar, while within each of the groups there are variations/differences between individuals as high as 99 percent i.e. One Igbo may be 99 percent genetically different from another Igbo, or one Yoruba person to another.

It is important to remember that these groups were not initially split by national borders; prior to the European division of the continent, these ethnic peoples traded, migrated and wedded as the times permitted, allowing apparent regional and national mixtures that remain evident in modern day genetic analyses of some Yoruba and Igbo individuals.

Race and ethnicity are considered to be related concepts. Ethnicity is often assumed to be somewhat more of a cultural identity of a group, often based on shared ancestry, language and cultural tradition, while race is assumed to be strictly a biological classification, based on genetic materials and bone structure. Ethnicity is often used synonymously with ambiguous terms such as nation or people, depending on which source of group identity is emphasized to define membership, the following types of (often mutually overlapping) groups are:

Ethno-linguistic, emphasizing shared language, dialect or script — example: Hausa.
Ethno-national, emphasizing a shared polity or sense of national identity — example: Nigerian.
Ethno-racial, emphasizing shared physical appearance based on genetic origins — example: African-American.
Ethno-regional, emphasizing a distinct local sense of belonging stemming from relative geographic isolation — example: South Islanders.
Ethno-religious, emphasizing shared affiliation with a particular religion, denomination or sect — example: Christians.

Also worthy of note is the shared Volta-Niger root languages, Yoruba and Igbo languages belong to the same family (YEAI branch), showing the common start of the diverse languages spoken by these ethnicities.

Consequently, barring the inclusion of culture, tribal affiliation and nationality, it could be said that the the Yorubas, the Igbos, the Akans and the Gaa-Adangbes are but a people spread over a wide area with different ways of life. Thus discrediting any claim of a unique Yoruba “race” or a genetically insured Igbo ethnicity often employed by politicians and traditional rulers in rhetorics and propaganda messages.

The reality, however, is the hampered economic strength of a not truly united front, with success delayed continually by the lack of pan-African sentiments on the part of the leadership, and poor economic decisions taken in an imperialist system.This is not to revile the revered skin deep differences in each group’s cultural development, but serves to indicate and rejoice in the underlying sameness of what appears ‘not’ to be.

A body does not fight itself. These kinds of research serve as a balm to the much divided heart of the ethnically-concerned West African, and to the African at large: one root, many branches; united by blood if not spirit.

Source - http://venturesafrica.com/yorubas-are-99-9-genetically-igbo-study/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by NigeriaToday: 11:31pm On Jun 17, 2016
And then I went to check the research.
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Thunderlicious: 11:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Which kind yeye study be dat?
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by NigeriaToday: 11:33pm On Jun 17, 2016
Thunderlicious:
Which kind yeye study be dat?

Well, I am bringing up the original study so Nairalanders can judge whether that was what the researchers which Ventures Africa quoted actually said.
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by NigeriaToday: 11:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
I went to find out the journal and the research that led to that Ventures Africa assertion and this is it (the summary)

Genetic structure in four West African population groups
Adebowale A Adeyemo, Guanjie Chen, Yuanxiu Chen, Charles Rotimi
Open AccessResearch article
First Online: 24 June 2005 Received: 01 December 2004 Accepted: 24 June 2005
DOI: 10.1186/1471-2156-6-38
Citations: 12 Social mentions: 5
Abstract
Background

Africa contains the most genetically divergent group of continental populations and several studies have reported that African populations show a high degree of population stratification. In this regard, it is important to investigate the potential for population genetic structure or stratification in genetic epidemiology studies involving multiple African populations. The presences of genetic sub-structure, if not properly accounted for, have been reported to lead to spurious association between a putative risk allele and a disease. Within the context of the Africa America Diabetes Mellitus (AADM) Study (a genetic epidemiologic study of type 2 diabetes mellitus in West Africa), we have investigated population structure or stratification in four ethnic groups in two countries (Akan and Gaa-Adangbe from Ghana, Yoruba and Igbo from Nigeria) using data from 372 autosomal microsatellite loci typed in 493 unrelated persons (986 chromosomes).

Results

There was no significant population genetic structure in the overall sample. The smallest probability is associated with an inferred cluster of 1 and little of the posterior probability is associated with a higher number of inferred clusters. The distribution of members of the sample to inferred clusters is consistent with this finding; roughly the same proportion of individuals from each group is assigned to each cluster with little variation between the ethnic groups. Analysis of molecular variance (AMOVA) showed that the between-population component of genetic variance is less than 0.1% in contrast to 99.91% for the within population component. Pair-wise genetic distances between the four ethnic groups were also very similar. Nonetheless, the small between-population genetic variance was sufficient to distinguish the two Ghanaian groups from the two Nigerian groups.

Conclusion

There was little evidence for significant population substructure in the four major West African ethnic groups represented in the AADM study sample. Ethnicity apparently did not introduce differential allele frequencies that may affect analysis and interpretation of linkage and association studies. These findings, although not entirely surprising given the geographical proximity of these groups, provide important insights into the genetic relationships between the ethnic groups studied and confirm previous results that showed close genetic relationship between most studied West African groups.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1471-2156-6-38

It should be clear that the original article on Ventures Africa is nothing but another deliberate attempt at twisting facts for whatever purposes. I wonder when Nigerians or is it human beings will stop such acts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Starlet50(m): 11:45pm On Jun 17, 2016
ikechu1:
What a complete insult to Igbos.

Yoloba claim their father fell from the sky and busted his head creating them. My Bible told me the devil fell from heaven. So based on the two stories, Yoloba are descendant of what my Bible told me.

Therefore, OP you and that study shouldn't insult Igbo. The father of yoloba is the father of hell.

First of all,it's YORUBA not yoloba.secondly,we are descendants of the seven(maybe nine not sure) sons of Oduduwa and we migrated from Mecca not from the sky.Did I hear u say the thread is an insult to Ibo guys?? U really nid to get rid of your tribalistic mentality cos ur culture is not superior to the fulanis not to talk of Yoruba.Bloody Tribalist!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by ikechu1: 11:49pm On Jun 17, 2016
Starlet50:

First of all,it's YORUBA not yoloba.secondly,we are descendants of the seven(maybe nine not sure) sons of Oduduwa and we migrated from Mecca not from the sky.Did I hear u say the thread is an insult to Ibo guys?? U really nid to get rid of your tribalistic mentality cos ur culture is not superior to the fulanis not to talk of Yoruba.Bloody Tribalist!!!!!

Oh story don change now.

You descended from mecca...so in other words, you are descended of Arabs filled with terrorist...what's the difference?

Yoloba culture is superior? grin grin grin grin grin Abeg Waka commot and go find something better to do insult of disturbing my mention with rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by naijaking1: 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2016
Front page, please.
Moderators.
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Igboid: 12:10am On Jun 18, 2016
Endtime research koodi study. The researchers need their heads examined. Ndiigbo have NOTHING in common with Yorubas, except for the single fact that we share the Same continent. Before the arrival of the British, we knew not of the existence of Yorubas, the Edos were a potent buffer zone between our world and theirs, and so will it remain post Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Omoluabi16(m): 12:36am On Jun 18, 2016
ikechu1:

Wetin bring kanu into this matter?

With the way yoloba set carry this man's name on tip of una tongue, etc be like say, kanu is the boogeyman for una. Just look to you
haha..boogeyman? keep deluding yourself lad.. he's no boogeyman. I'm almost tempted to do this tribal bashing.But I know better. If belittling other tribes gives you a warped sense of superiority, please go ahead.

Adaure4ever come and see Yoruba vs Nyanmuri war brewing here oooo. I remain Neutral.

3 Likes

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by ZUBY77(m): 12:43am On Jun 18, 2016
Did anybody ever think that Yorubas are genetically related to Germans or French?
What's the difference between Yoruba and Igbo if not for constant drifting that resulted in slight change of culture and language.

We are all the same brothers and sisters.
Yoruba spilled into Edo
Edo Spilled into Agbor
Agbor spilled into Igbo
Igbo spilled into Efik etc,
It's no rocket science to find out we are all the same.
That's why we need to stop fighting each other and discuss how to deal with our common enemy.

5 Likes

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by ehizzybaba(m): 12:52am On Jun 18, 2016
WHO I WAN TAKE SIDE WIT.... ...........
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by iaamxavier(m): 1:18am On Jun 18, 2016
yoru what?? that's really disgusting op iffa say u no get sense na e go b like say I'm bullying u

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Ooni: 1:31am On Jun 18, 2016
I am a yoruba but i dont accept this. Our patriack oduduwa fled from benin kindom and wandered into ile ife. Whether cowardly or not is a story for another day. Some even claimed he was a sky diver.

How can we be same when we have tribal marks and ibos dont, we are darker and ibos are fairer, ****

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Sirsubway1: 3:17am On Jun 18, 2016
[s]
Ooni:
I am a yoruba but i dont accept this. Our patriack oduduwa fled from benin kindom and wandered into ile ife. Whether cowardly or not is a story for another day. Some even claimed he was a sky diver.

How can we be same when we have tribal marks and ibos dont, we are darker and ibos are fairer, We also have cold feet (we are not cowards o) but ibos are strong hearted. Op research well
[/s]

Its a curse to deny ones tribe, yeeboes on nairaland are now shameless coward that hide to throw weak jab. While your mates are making it, you are online disgracing your Ibo tribe, bringing ridicule and shame to Alaigbo. What a big shame.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by koladebrainiac(m): 3:19am On Jun 18, 2016
Its possible . its either 99.9 related to yoruba or yoruba related to them.. Vice versa. The igbos are migrant isrealite slaves. They are the lost tribe of Gibronites who vowed to remain porters n builders for isrealite. They are displaced by war n coz of their inferior mind set. First as slave in egypt where the Yorubas are kings during pharaohs era. Itwas the this time Igbo first plotted their secession by leaving egypt then migrate to philistine. The tribe of igbo are minority they are from Dina descendant-the only female of jacob children. They are counted as slaves . it was during babylonian occupationz n several slave trade that most of igbos are sood into slavery n thus their movement to West Africa.

They want to move from their land in nigeria to another place close to cameroun.

I love history.

Awon werey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by quickly: 3:26am On Jun 18, 2016
Starlet50:

Egypt not Mecca abi una be Arab ni
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Rossikk(m): 3:29am On Jun 18, 2016
ikechu1:
What a complete insult to Igbos.

Yoloba claim their father fell from the sky and busted his head creating them. My Bible told me the devil fell from heaven. So based on the two stories, Yoloba are descendant of what my Bible told me.

Therefore, OP you and that study shouldn't insult Igbo. The father of yoloba is the father of hell.

Igwe-ka-ala is an Igbo 'sky god', as is Amadioha, known as the 'god of thunder and lightning'. They are all sky gods.

ALL religious cultures speak of 'gods' and/or 'angels' who came down from the sky in antiquity.

There is strong research suggesting that these beings, extraterrestrials with advanced space flight technology, once lived among men, were worshiped as 'gods' by ancient humans, and were responsible for the creation of the human species, using advanced genetic engineering - melding their DNA with that of earth hominids (''Let US make man in OUR image'').

Oh.. did you know that the original Old Testament scripts never referred to a singular 'God'? They used the term ''the gods''. ''Elohim''. It was only after a few thousand years later when monotheism came to be the norm in Israel that the scriptural references to ''the gods'' were changed to ''God''. Don't believe me..... do the research yourself. Google is free. cool

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Know2020: 3:32am On Jun 18, 2016
NigeriaToday:
[s]I first saw this on http://fyi.com.ng, and followed to read the full news on Ventures Africa

Four of the major coastal tribes of Western Africa: the Yoruba, Igbo, Akan and the Gaa-Adangbe are dissimilar at a glance and evidently geographic neighbours, but very closely related, if examined in detail at the genetic level.

Several studies have been employed over the years, with findings bringing up linkages of genetic similarity between differing regional ethnic groups. One in particular, conducted by Adebowale Adeyemo, Guanjie Chen, Yuanxiu Chen, the National Human Genome Centre and Howard University, and Charles Rotimi of the University of Ibadan provided results indicating the genetic similarities between the four major West African ethnic groups.

Their findings further indicated surprising genetic variance within groups, but almost none across groups, similar to the closeness of human genetics across races, showing more range within than without.

According to this landmark study there was 99.9 percent within-population variance, the between-population variance was less than 0.1 percent. This means that Yorubas, Igbos, Gaa and Akan are 99.9 percent similar, while within each of the groups there are variations/differences between individuals as high as 99 percent i.e. One Igbo may be 99 percent genetically different from another Igbo, or one Yoruba person to another.

It is important to remember that these groups were not initially split by national borders; prior to the European division of the continent, these ethnic peoples traded, migrated and wedded as the times permitted, allowing apparent regional and national mixtures that remain evident in modern day genetic analyses of some Yoruba and Igbo individuals.

Race and ethnicity are considered to be related concepts. Ethnicity is often assumed to be somewhat more of a cultural identity of a group, often based on shared ancestry, language and cultural tradition, while race is assumed to be strictly a biological classification, based on genetic materials and bone structure. Ethnicity is often used synonymously with ambiguous terms such as nation or people, depending on which source of group identity is emphasized to define membership, the following types of (often mutually overlapping) groups are:

Ethno-linguistic, emphasizing shared language, dialect or script — example: Hausa.
Ethno-national, emphasizing a shared polity or sense of national identity — example: Nigerian.
Ethno-racial, emphasizing shared physical appearance based on genetic origins — example: African-American.
Ethno-regional, emphasizing a distinct local sense of belonging stemming from relative geographic isolation — example: South Islanders.
Ethno-religious, emphasizing shared affiliation with a particular religion, denomination or sect — example: Christians.

Also worthy of note is the shared Volta-Niger root languages, Yoruba and Igbo languages belong to the same family (YEAI branch), showing the common start of the diverse languages spoken by these ethnicities.

Consequently, barring the inclusion of culture, tribal affiliation and nationality, it could be said that the the Yorubas, the Igbos, the Akans and the Gaa-Adangbes are but a people spread over a wide area with different ways of life. Thus discrediting any claim of a unique Yoruba “race” or a genetically insured Igbo ethnicity often employed by politicians and traditional rulers in rhetorics and propaganda messages.

The reality, however, is the hampered economic strength of a not truly united front, with success delayed continually by the lack of pan-African sentiments on the part of the leadership, and poor economic decisions taken in an imperialist system.This is not to revile the revered skin deep differences in each group’s cultural development, but serves to indicate and rejoice in the underlying sameness of what appears ‘not’ to be.

A body does not fight itself. These kinds of research serve as a balm to the much divided heart of the ethnically-concerned West African, and to the African at large: one root, many branches; united by blood if not spirit.

Source - http://venturesafrica.com/yorubas-are-99-9-genetically-igbo-study[/s]/

God forbid. Yoruba are so desperate to claim some type of connection with Igbo...that's why they go as far as trying to marry Igbo women. There is zero resemblance between Igbos and Yorubas...zero. I can differentiate between Igbos and Yorubas by appearance but cannot differentiate Igbos from Ibibios, Efik, Ijaw by appearance...as we all share bloodline. Yorubass...get this: Igbos have zero interest in having any connection you people **** Goodness me...this people will go any length. SMH

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by iKarma: 3:39am On Jun 18, 2016
lmaooo what an insult to yorubas. cheesy cheesy This thread doesnt even deserve to be entertained by Yorubas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by proeast(m): 4:34am On Jun 18, 2016
Like seriously?? Lol, I dont believe this!
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by Starlet50(m): 8:15am On Jun 18, 2016
quickly:

Egypt not Mecca abi una be Arab ni
oh yeah,right
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by macof(m): 3:49pm On Jun 18, 2016
Starlet50:

oduduwa was our first King. ..not that we are all products of his seed

btw He didn't come from mecca but Oke-Ora

1 Like

Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by absoluteSuccess: 11:40pm On Jun 18, 2016
macof:

oduduwa was our first King. ..not that we are all products of his seed

btw He didn't come from mecca but Oke-Ora

No, he came from Olowora.

Bless God you finally get the name of where the man crop up from after many years.

Are you from oduduwas lineage?

Was he from chimpanzee?
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by OMAR12: 11:42pm On Jun 18, 2016
if you don't believe, please go to the lab and make ur own research. we are eager to learn how our fathers lived. if u say the Igbo traded as far as igodomigodo (Benin) what's stops them from trading into old Oyo empire. they share the same DNA and I couldn't help BT agree more to it.
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by absoluteSuccess: 12:09am On Jun 19, 2016
OMAR12:
if you don't believe, please go to the lab and make ur own research. we are eager to learn how our fathers lived. if u say the Igbo traded as far as igodomigodo (Benin) what's stops them from trading into old Oyo empire. they share the same DNA and I couldn't help BT agree more to it.

Does possibilities of trading with Yoruba derived Yoruba from IBO?

This complicated conclusion calls for scrutiny of the idea you are rooted for.

The research won't be anything if it is not so titled. I think it's the spirit of Prof. Itshel? back to life.

The title is to find ways to carpet Yoruba under Igbo as it pleased the writer of the review.

The mischief makers answer to Oonis growing fame. Just a piece of distraction as usual.

Let the Ooni be in the news for now, tomorrow it might be Obi of Onitsha if he can do the lobbying.

Waiting for the writeup that will finally claim Igbo civilized Yoruba one of this days,
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by OMAR12: 2:36am On Jun 19, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

Does possibilities of trading with Yoruba derived Yoruba from IBO?

This complicated conclusion calls for scrutiny of the idea you are rooted for.

The research won't be anything if it is not so titled. I think it's the spirit of Prof. Itshel? back to life.

The title is to find ways to carpet Yoruba under Igbo as it pleased the writer of the review. Please Google and read (father of all ethnic group) read the full text. Let deliberate on that as well.

The mischief makers answer to Oonis growing fame. Just a piece of distraction as usual.

Let the Ooni be in the news for now, tomorrow it might be Obi of Onitsha if he can do the lobbying.

Waiting for the writeup that will finally claim Igbo civilized Yoruba one of this days,
Re: Study Finds That The Yoruba Are Genetically 99.9 Percent Igbo by absoluteSuccess: 11:49am On Jun 19, 2016
OMAR12:

absoluteSuccess : Does possibilities of trading with Yoruba derived Yoruba from IBO? This complicated conclusion calls for scrutiny of the idea you are rooted for. The research won't be anything if it is not so titled. I think it's the spirit of Prof. Itshel? back to life. The title is to find ways to carpet Yoruba under Igbo as it pleased the writer of the review. Please Google and read (father of all ethnic group) read the full text. Let deliberate on that as well.
The mischief makers answer to Oonis growing fame. Just a piece of distraction as usual. Let the Ooni be in the news for now, tomorrow it might be Obi of Onitsha if he can do the lobbying. Waiting for the writeup that will finally claim Igbo civilized Yoruba one of this days,
@bolded, what role did you play in the infamous budget manipulation?
Let me know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Are You Spending Your Saturday..? / How Friendly Are OGOJA People Of Cross River State?? / The Names And Meaning Of The Obas Of Benin In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.