Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,387 members, 7,822,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

Letter to Potential undergraduates. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Letter to Potential undergraduates. (12735 Views)

2018 Federal Government Scholarship Is Out For Undergraduates And Postgraduates / Majority Of Nigerian Female Undergraduates Are Intellectually Re-tarded / Agip Oil Company 2016/2017 Tertiary Scholarship Scheme For Undergraduates Begins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Chuksemi(m): 11:51am On Jun 18, 2016
Dear Jambite,

Please do not be offended by the title I appropriated to you above. It isn't for want of words, but it is a tradition in our country. You would of course understand that we were all once called that. It is only right that you are called the same, at this point. I hear you have written and passed the dreaded Joint admission matriculation board exams. Congrats, that stuff gave most of us sleepless nights and weightloss that was unsolicited. You see, yours truly is one who has passed through that same hurdle, so like a black brother in the slave era, I can identify with the struggle. I can identify with that exctited look you had on your face when you saw a score that was above your expectation, somehow, we all think we are supposed to fail jamb or perform poorly.

Next up is the university screening, I hope you are preparing for that too. It usually isn't easy. In my time, it was another exam on it's own. I hear the current education minister has made it easier for you guys. Yes, I know, what lucky negroes you all are. I am also aware that most of you have lofty dreams of what you would accomplish when you come on board. But hold on, don't get too excited, what we have here is different from what you think. Here we have

1. Lots of Unserious folks : Oh Jambite bro, here we have people who came to school just for the sake of being called undergraduates. You would meet distractions from all corners. If you are gregarious, sorry, bold, you would get carried away. Here you will see and meet Economics students who can't define economics in simple terms. You would meet English undergraduates that don't understand how grammar works or what syntax means. Impossible? Wait, we have final year students who can't draft a simple formal letter here. Sadly, unserious students greatly outnumber the serious ones. In truth, unversities graduate less than 50,000 graduates every year. Forget the numbers that say 500,000. Thing is, this unserious students abound and are here to distract serious ones like you. They would lure you to parties, make you feel dumb when you don't join them. They would greatly persecute you and call you all sorts of not-so-fancy names like "bookworm" or "nerdy geek", bro, we face alot of persecution. That is the purpose of this letter, so you will come prepared. After persecuting you during the semester, they run to you and become friends once exam bells ring. Do not be decieved, they seek to distract you during this period in the hall and if possible get you rusticated for malpractice. Ignore them, the same way you did all semester.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Chuksemi(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
Lecturers: My brother from another mother, by now you would have agreed that I have your interest at heart. If and when you do get into the unversity. Asides, persecution from unserious students, you would face alot of it from our educators too. Don't be shocked yet, theirs is worse. Lecturers sometimes encourage unseriousness by accepting various forms of gratification in exchange for good grades. Can you believe that after doing this, they recline on their plush office seats and say our generation is laden with incompetence. The Lord alone has been good to us. The lecturers here don't have chills. Dear brother, you will be required to pay money so you can pass certain courses or you'll fail. In my school, textbooks are cumpolsory, not buying them would mean you are very willing to carryover as many courses as possible that year. The lecturers here are demi Gods. It is here that you get to meet Amadioha and Sango in human form, moving, talking and teaching you in class. Whatever they tell you to do, do it. Don't come and form activist. Avoid implicating situations. And if you refuse to pay money or give sex to pass a certain course, refuse it till you graduate. They would fail you and mark you down if you don't adhere to their instructions. Persevere, there is light at the end of the tunnel. One thing, if the persecution becomes unbearable, sometimes it can be, take action and do something revolutionary. Report unanimously to the school authorities after gathering enough evidence. I don't like this set of people so I won't say much about them. I pray whatever you believe in grants you wisdom here.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Chuksemi(m): 5:09pm On Jun 18, 2016
Orientation: Read slowly now. In the tetiary world, asides unserious students and bad lecturers. You can also be your own worst enemy. If you are coming here to be unserious, remain at home and learn a craft. For the serious ones, be mindful of how carried away you get with the initial rush of freedom. It is usually harmful, the first year is sometimes a year of trial and error for some. For others, it is the year they make foolish decisions that forever hamper their potentials of success, I pray you don't get to that point. First year isn't a difficult year academically, the wise ones make use of it and build a solid GPA. You should do the same. Avoid distractions like your life depends on it. Avoid cultism, it would only make you afraid of your fellow man, not fearless. You would forever live in hiding, avoiding contact with the opposing cult group. Be wary of trends in school, they are usually distracting. Following trends can be unhealthy while in school. Set a goal, be ready for adversaries that would seek to accomplish your downfall and reject them accordingly. Bitter truth is, if you want average grades, keep a girlfriend. To maintain stellar academic performance, eschew women and their vices. Ladies, avoid boys too. They have nothing more than a few thousand naira to offer you now. Something you can always get by yourself. So, why sacrifice your future for now? Read and study and learn, that's why you are allowed to come here.

Dear Jambite. I hope you digest what I have written to you. By no means have I exhausted all that you would meet here. It is a world apart. Maybe subsequent letters would teach you more. For now, mule over the aforementioned. I really care.

Yours concerned student
Dennis Raymond.
Imo state university.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by MizMyColi(f): 7:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
You speak like an old soul.

Thanks for finding time to pen these down.
Honestly, if I were opportune to write ups like this, perhaps I would have left school with a first class.

I was misguided into thinking that the 1st year was more of a time for flexing and jut hoping on past questions.

I graduated with a 2:1 albeit, but I somehow believed that if I had started off on a strong note, 1st class would have been sure.

cc: Obinoscopy
Lalasticlala

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by mysticgal(f): 7:52pm On Jun 18, 2016
You need a bottle of wine op.
Dear jambites especially ladies, please beware of October rush. This is an Avenue where boys scout for frosh girls outta home . please don't fall for the scam because there would be another October next year sad
For everyone, choose your friends wisely, believe me, they crash, you crash. They succeed, you succeed. One way or the other, they shape you.
And finally, one thing that has kept me going in this rugged institution is; Determination and consistency which I know for sure will total, success.
My 2 shillings cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by ayosco2008(m): 7:54pm On Jun 18, 2016
Great article.. I hope the targeted audience get to make use of this
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by naptu2: 8:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
Very good thread. I love the way you write.
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
Great article @OP
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Onegai(f): 8:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
OP, good one.
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by UjSizzle(f): 8:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
Thanks for reaching out, Chuksemi.
I love how you wrote this smiley Let's hope the target audience pay attention.

I'm recommending this for the homepage smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by BUSYBRAIN2(m): 8:49pm On Jun 18, 2016
Epic! More ink...
...love from JarusClubWhatsappGroup
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by BUSYBRAIN2(m): 8:50pm On Jun 18, 2016
Epic! More ink...

#love from JarusClubWhatsappGroup
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Gerrard59(m): 9:01pm On Jun 18, 2016
An invaluable information you have there OP.

The first point is very important if not most important. You have individuals who possess a degree in absolute indolence and chronic shiftlessness trying all possible means to discourage someone during that period. At times, I shudder how I became close to them during my first semester(probably because he assisted during registration). Take time to select FRIENDS and ACQUAINTANCES, note the difference(s).

Moreover, don't join any group(s) during your first year(including the religious ones). You ask why? You haven't known yourself or what works for you. Your first year should be used for building your grades before anything after which you can associate with any group(s) of your choice(legit ones).
The message by the OP is what EVERY student should know because when I look around my school, I see fellows who thought school is a flexing ground and are regretting at the moment(overtly or covertly). One of such is my neighbour, after "flexing" with a lot of girls(and bagging an alias as Straff) in our first year, he bagged a probation notice; which implies he'd stay for 5 years for a 4 year program. When I talk to them to change(not APC's type), they get angry and call me Home Alone or a boring fellow. Don't be like them. Do what works for you, stick to it even when you see others doing extremely well (tweaking is allowed not overall change), remember it works for you as theirs might not work for you.

Lastly, be a fan of Jarushub, it helps as it's a morale and career booster.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by amiibaby(f): 9:10pm On Jun 18, 2016
Okay
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by MrCow(m): 9:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
True!
- I believe your roommates and friends really determine a lot.
- have the right mindset
- and for the October rush, it takes discipline not to fall especially when You meet a Professional FYB........ those girls go think na husband material den don find
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by izzy4shizzy(m): 9:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
Mm
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by topgear(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
Nice article. You raised since good points there
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by izzy4shizzy(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
Dear undergraduate, I want to go further and explain to you how things are when you graduate,

First, u'll be happy u've graduated after that looong project u have done and submitted, u'll recieve plenty congratulatory messages; but dont be carried away, from that point is where u discover that there is a storm of heavy brokess around...those allowances that comes at intervals all sieze afterall u are GRADUATE

Then comes the long wait for service, with no source of getting money except u beg ur parents, who may not even have due to the situation of the present govemnent

Stay tuned!
To find out what hapens after service....

2 Likes

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Thomsyne(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2016
Nice one OP... To the JAMBITES and Undergraduates... Check out TheMcHub blog for the best of educational articles, tips and guidelines to help you throughout school. For example,

See: After JAMB 'jams' you, what next?

and

The Most difficult Engineering Courses to study

ALSO: Polytechnic Graduates: How to deal with the Stigma
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by frozenSun(m): 9:16pm On Jun 18, 2016
well done
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by hpk(m): 9:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
This write up should be somewhere in the book of PROVERBS. Spot On OP...
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by iamblisz(m): 9:32pm On Jun 18, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Great article @OP

@tonyebarcanista I created a thread on religion section pls what do I do to make it hit fb cause I really need peoples input
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Thomsyne(m): 9:33pm On Jun 18, 2016
TheMchub.com stands for The Miscellany Collage Hub. It is the very one place where students can converge to read educational articles and for Nigerian students to get latest university, polytechnic and college of education news.

What You stand To Gain From TheMchub

As earlier said, it is a haven of quality educational articles. Articles that address problems in the society and highlights salient points. Not the general ones you see around.

The possibility of meeting other educational experts is not ruled out as there are handpicked and highly scrutinized articles from various sources both foreign and local.

We also understand the need of students who come online to educational blogs to find help on scholarships and how to get them. On The Mchub, articles on how to best write outstanding scholarship essays, news on the latest scholarships and how to apply for the scholarship essays are served here.

Students who also need simplified Ebooks(Not the difficult ones that make students more confused) can get them here.

We also give freebies in the form of airtime from time to time. They are mostly however, available to The Mchubites (TheMchub community members)

You are always welcome to join us at any time. New members are highly appreciated.

You can subscribe to our BBM channel by clicking on this link: Pin.Bbm.com/C0025637A (The link will take you straight to BBM from OperaMini, Chrome or UC browser) or you can like our Facebook page at
https://m.facebook.com/TheMchub

#TheMchub
#DJHaywire
#Thomsyne
#TheMchubites
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by ERCROSS(m): 9:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
m tired of this country ooooo... ahhhrrrggghhh
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
Come closer pal
*give an hugs*
kudos!
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Aspireahead(m): 10:04pm On Jun 18, 2016
Dear Jambites,
go and learn a skill before you enter that time zapping prison call Nigerian universities.
jambites, understand that school is a means to an end and not an end it self i.e. you are not going to school because of school...but because you want to use the going to school for something....if you already where you want to be forget the school..especially... if you are going for a social science course.

Jambites, i have been in that hell hole before and %90 of what i learned was outside the classroom...so pay attention to that part also. Make friends, party if you can afford it, don't take life serious but be focus on why you are there-to utilise that means to your end.

Finally, don't let the Nigerian university system kill your passion for whatever it is you love doing; believe me it will try....it succeeded in taking away mine...dont let it do same to you.

1 Like

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by seangy4konji: 10:06pm On Jun 18, 2016
Undergraduate??u hear
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 18, 2016
MizMyColi:
You speak like an old soul.

Thanks for finding time to pen these down.
Honestly, if I were opportune to write ups like this, perhaps I would have left school with a first class.

I was misguided into thinking that the 1st year was more of a time for flexing and jut hoping on past questions.

I graduated with a 2:1 albeit, but I somehow believed that if I had started off on a strong note, 1st class would have been sure.

cc: Obinoscopy
Lalasticlala

You didn't graduate with a first class? Awww....we can't all graduate with distinction, though.

*hugs her*

*Beckons on cutesexy1 : girl, where are your manners? Come and join this bear hug fest right now! Be nice, spread the love *
Hehehe
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by jubebaister(m): 10:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
You see why I don't blame Nairaland moderators for featuring cleavage baring , hot entertainment and political topics, bikini etc on the FP, this is y. U post educative threads on FP, many will avoid it. But post bikni or boobs topic, u will see crowd after viewing, they blast the mods. But see naa. This is a nice topic on FP, but very few are viewing.

Op. Nice one jare

1 Like

Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by bodee(m): 10:44pm On Jun 18, 2016
Don't cram, just understand everything you are being taught very very well such that you reflect knowledge gain to solve societal problem. Careless about your grade. School rewards grade but life rewards a problem solver. I believe most of us have seen the movie- 3 idiots.
Understand and reflect!
It always pain me whenever ladies have to offer their dignity for grade or guys have to engage in nefarious activities in order to settle one lecturer. It's somehow easy for a lecturer to reject money but a good number of lecturer can't reject bogus amount of money from yy guys.
I think it's really a malady for a brilliant chap to be competing with all sort of criminals for grade.
Outshine yourself and not others.
Re: Letter to Potential undergraduates. by bodee(m): 10:46pm On Jun 18, 2016
Don't cram, just understand everything you are being taught very very well such that you reflect on the knowledge gained in solving societal problem. Be careless about your grade! School rewards grade but life rewards a problem solver. I believe most of us have seen the movie- 3 idiots.
Understand and reflect!
It always pain me whenever ladies have to offer their dignity for grade or guys have to engage in nefarious activities in order to settle one lecturer. It's somehow easy for a lecturer to reject money but a good number of lecturer can't reject bogus amount of money from yy guys.
I think it's really a malady for a brilliant chap to be competing with all sort of criminals for grade.
Outshine yourself and not others.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Apply For Dr Alex Ekwueme Scholarship For Nigerian Students / Unn Supplimentry Form Out! / how are you

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.