Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms - Jokes Etc - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms (1179 Views)

“Robert Mugabe Will Be Remembered For His Quotes. Which One Is Your Favorite / When Animals Look More Badass Than Your Favorite Music Band (pics) / When The Teacher Asks You To Write A List Of Noise Maker And Someone You Hate... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:28pm On Jun 18, 2016
Nigerians are undeniably special, and one of my favorite things about being one, is that innate way with words we all seem to have.

Everything we say almost always seems to be laced with sarcasm and casual wit. Sometimes it’s not even intentional.

So, here is a list of a couple of my favorite ‘Nigerianisms’:

THE PHRASES

[size=13pt]1. My Friend[/size]

Usually used when a Nigerian is at their least friendly, either to caution or lure you into a stern warning.

Example: “Daddy, could I please get some money?”

“After that result you brought home? My friend, will you get out of here.”

1 Like

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:32pm On Jun 18, 2016
2. They said

The thing is no one really knows who ‘They’ is, but it is the go-to pronoun for the Nigerian who doesn’t see the need to be specific.

Example: “They said you just finally got engaged, thank God, we were getting worried.”

1 Like

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:34pm On Jun 18, 2016
3. Are you okay?

Do not confuse this with the ‘Are you okay?’ that typically shows concern. They are basically asking you why you are so stupid.

Example: “You borrowed my shirt and put it up on Instagram, are you okay?”

1 Like

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2016
4. Good for you
This is Nigerian for ‘I told you so.’ Not to be confused with the ‘Good for you’ that typically means congratulations.

Example: “Didn’t I tell you not to date Yoruba men, you’re now here crying stupid tears. Well, it’s good for you.”

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:40pm On Jun 18, 2016
5. See finish
This is Nigerian for ‘familiarity breeds contempt.’ Usually used when a Nigerian gets disrespected by someone they consider to be beneath them.

Example: “Did you hear how Amaka spoke to me? I don’t blame her, na see finish cause am.”

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
6. From where to where?

This is Nigerian for ‘How?’ used when the word isn’t suitable enough to convey the contempt and/or sarcasm in your voice.

Example: “I think I saw Ada with a Prada bag”

“That one? From where to where?”
Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2016
7. Chanced

When someone takes your spot or cuts in front of you.

Example: “See as you just chanced everybody, we that we are on the line do we have two heads?”

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:43pm On Jun 18, 2016
8. Two heads

This is a double edged Nigerian term typically laced with heavy sarcasm, it could be used to mean superior (like the example below) or stupid (like the example above).

Example: “Jolade that came first, does she have two heads?”
Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:44pm On Jun 18, 2016
9. Bad Belle

This is a Nigerian term for the jealous. Whether it be constructive or not, any criticism you offer a Nigerian will probably be met with this tag.

Example: “I don’t think you should continue sleeping with that married man.”

“Bad belle. It’s because you haven’t seen your own.”

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:45pm On Jun 18, 2016
10. Come and be going

This is really just ‘leave’ but with a bit more flare. You know Nigerians never do (or in this case, say) anything half-arsed.

Example: “It’s getting late, oya come and be going.”
Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by ThePENGENIUS(m): 2:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
[size=13pt]THE DOUBLES[/size]
These are terms that have the main word repeated for no particular reason.

11. Waka Waka
Someone who Nigerians have deemed incapable of staying in one place.

12. Bear Bear
This is Nigerian for beard. Please, don’t ask.

13. Follow Follow
This is Nigerian for ‘Yes Man.’ Someone who is easily swayed by a popular opinion.

14. Beggy Beggy
Used when you ask for something the owner has no intention of giving you. Usually targeted at kids.

15. Looku Looku
This is Nigerian for ‘Take a picture, it will last longer’ used for people that won’t stop staring.

[size=13pt]THE VERSATILE[/size]
These are Nigerian terms that can mean a ton of things depending on the user’s inflection and hand gestures.

16. Asin
‘I don’t understand.’

‘How?’

‘Exactly.’

17. Ehen
‘Continue.’

‘And so?’

‘Oh, I get it.’
Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 18, 2016
Lol....... Op no kill me with laugh.....cheesygringringringringrin

Chai ...... Pman own worst pass

*Emeka: Papa make I own dey television,

*Pman:My friend will you leave dat place. No be your mate dey carry first for class abi dem get two heads, oya come and be going.” ewu
gringrin

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
ThePENGENIUS:
[size=13pt]THE DOUBLES[/size]
These are terms that have the main word repeated for no particular reason.

11. Waka Waka
Someone who Nigerians have deemed incapable of staying in one place.

12. Bear Bear
This is Nigerian for beard. Please, don’t ask.

13. Follow Follow
This is Nigerian for ‘Yes Man.’ Someone who is easily swayed by a popular opinion.

14. Beggy Beggy
Used when you ask for something the owner has no intention of giving you. Usually targeted at kids.

15. Looku Looku
This is Nigerian for ‘Take a picture, it will last longer’ used for people that won’t stop staring.

[size=13pt]THE VERSATILE[/size]
These are Nigerian terms that can mean a ton of things depending on the user’s inflection and hand gestures.

16. Asin
‘I don’t understand.’

‘How?’

‘Exactly.’

17. Ehen
‘Continue.’

‘And so?’

‘Oh, I get it.’

Chai... Op your head dey dergringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin

Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by Young03(m): 3:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
me only came here to watch pics
Re: A List Of Some Of Our Favorite Nigerianisms by Purpletee(f): 12:36am On Jun 19, 2016
nice one op

(1) (Reply)

To The Jenifa's Fans, What's Your Favourite Jenifa's Word / Lol.. See What A Cameroonian Woman Tied On Her Back While Boarding A Bus / This Mystery Happened In My Area .. I Think It Is A Kind Of Religious Joke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.