Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,911 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:55 AM

Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine (4006 Views)

My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. / Powerful Herbalist And Ogboni Cult Ruler Gives His Life To Christ. / Ogboni Frat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by bilymuse: 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2009
[size=15pt]Man of God ‘desecrates’ Ogboni shrine
[/size]
By Ben Ezeamalu

August 31, 2009 11:13AMT

A mild drama ensued on Sunday afternoon at Orile Bus stop on the Lagos-Badagry expressway, after Ezinwanne Samuel Nwafor, who claimed to be sent by God, tore a red and white cloth used to decorate a tree alleged to be the shrine of the Ogboni cult and set it ablaze.

“Last week I heard the tree can speak, that it cannot allow the people building the road to work. So I said OK. I didn’t come here out of my own power because with my own power, I cannot do anything,” said Mr. Nwafor.

When he arrived at the tree site around midday, he meticulously stripped the tree of the cloth and used a match stick to set it on fire, to the shock of the gathered onlookers.

He then proceeded to preach the word of God to the crowd, who were still coming to terms with what he’d just done, on the need to repent from idol worship.

“It is the God in heaven who created the tree, even though there are people worshipping it,” he said.

A shocked crowd

The crowd that gathered at the expressway and on the Orile bridge could not believe what they were seeing.

“This is unbelievable! For this man to actually burn this thing, he must truly be a man of God,” said Paschal Nwoke, an onlooker.

He said for the past few weeks, the tree had been affecting business activities in the area as most people closed their businesses before 8pm to avoid being used as a sacrifice for the tree.

In a previous NEXT report about the mysterious tree, residents alleged that about 25 persons will be needed as sacrifice before the tree can be pulled down and while one sacrifice had already been provided, the search for the remaining 24 was still ongoing.

While other structures and buildings surrounding the tree have been demolished, the tree had remained standing.

And then came the tree worshippers

Mr. Nwafor was in the middle of his sermon to the bewildered crowd when a group of young men stormed the scene of the incident and were preparing to lynch him.

One of the men began asking him who sent him and why he was trying to pull down their god, but Mr. Nwafor quickly cut him short.

“My brother, there is no other god apart from the Almighty God. If not that the people refused to give me cutlass, I would have cut this thing down. The tree has no power.”

That was the last thing he said.

Blows began to descend on him as the young men proceeded to tear his clothes.

“How can he come and destroy our place of worship? He must not go scot free,” said one of the men, his eyes already spitting fire.

The preacher was, however, saved by the timely intervention of police officers from the nearby Orile Police Station.

A police officer from the station, Audu Anthony, refused to say what will become of the man of God.

“The DPO (Divisional Police Officer) is not around and so we will wait until he comes,” said Mr. Anthony.

“There is no need to touch the man,” said an elderly worshipper of the tree, “he will die within seven days.”

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5451017-147/Man_of_God_%E2%80%98desecrates%E2%80%99_Ogboni_shrine.csp
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by MrCrackles(m): 4:06pm On Aug 31, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy grin
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Abagworo(m): 11:18pm On Aug 31, 2009
Ain't this a joke?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Ibime(m): 11:26pm On Aug 31, 2009
The police should have left the man of God to the youths, let us see if his mission was out of sheer bravado, or if Angels come to rescue him signifying that he was really commissioned by God to cut the tree down.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by ifyalways(f): 12:44am On Sep 01, 2009
The old man in the story made sense . . . .let the gods or GOD fight for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by mamagee6(f): 12:45am On Sep 01, 2009
huh.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Beaf: 12:51am On Sep 01, 2009
What is the full story behind this tree sef? Whose land is it on?
If it wasn't on the preachers land and the red cloth he burnt didn't belong to him, has he committed a crime?
If the tree is on govt land, have the worshippers been breaking the law?
Questions. . .
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by bilymuse: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
What is the full story behind this tree sef? Whose land is it on?
If it wasn't on the preachers land and the red cloth he burnt didn't belong to him, has he committed a crime?
If the tree is on govt land, have the worshippers been breaking the law?
Questions. . .
this your big big legal question tire me ooo!
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by chidichris(m): 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2009
The police should have left the man of God to the youths, let us see if his mission was out of sheer bravado, or if Angels come to rescue him signifying that he was really commissioned by God to cut the tree down.

@Ibeme,
if going by the story of this topic, what u wrote above is u opinion on this, i suggest you see your doctor.
did it not occure to you that the god the young man attacked is surposed to be more powerful than the youths as in fighting its own fight?
when peter in the bible attacked those who came after Jesus Christ, he was asked by Jesus to put back his sword because if it was a case of fighting, his father in heaven(God° would definitely sent him soldiers.
kumuyi built his church(deeper life) on such places as the people allowed him to be killed by the gods.
this is another way of testing the powers of the gods.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by GEW: 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2009
ifyalways:

The old man in the story made sense . . . .let the gods or GOD fight for themselves.
true words unfortunately the man made gods cannot fight because they are dead. i dont like all these gods you have to fight for and defend.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Ibime(m): 3:22pm On Sep 01, 2009
chidichris:

@Ibeme,
if going by the story of this topic, what u wrote above is u opinion on this, i suggest you see your doctor.
did it not occure to you that the god the young man attacked is surposed to be more powerful than the youths as in fighting its own fight?
when peter in the bible attacked those who came after Jesus Christ, he was asked by Jesus to put back his sword because if it was a case of fighting, his father in heaven(God° would definitely sent him soldiers.
kumuyi built his church(deeper life) on such places as the people allowed him to be killed by the gods.
this is another way of testing the powers of the gods.

My friend, stop quoting bible for me.

The phrase "freedom of religion" applies to everyone, even Christians.

Unfortunately, the pastor has lost all reasoning by desecrating another mans place of worship.

If he is feeling brave, he should also go and burn down a mosque on the pretext that his God is most powerful. Lets see if the almajiris would not use him to make suya.

If he comes to my village to desecrate our Ogu shrine, he will also get the same treatment.

Since the Hindus in the UK have the freedom to pray to a pink elephant woman with six hands, who is this pastor to tell the youths that their animist religion is backward, and an imported religion is better than the one their forefathers gave them?

Oya, let him face the wrath of the youths since he cannot respect other peoples right to practice their own religion. Lets see if his God will save him.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by walata44(m): 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2009
true words unfortunately the man made gods cannot fight because they are dead

I beg to disagree with u. What about your imaginary God? Has he fight for the Nigerians oppressed?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by AloyEmeka6: 3:25pm On Sep 01, 2009
I agree with ibime here. There should be absolute freedom freedom for all. What the man did was to impose his religious faith on another which is very wrong. If he has so much power, why not destroy the cloth without touching it physically. That is what real christians do every night when they pray and invoke the holy spirit for a spiritual warfare. The man is no different from boko harem.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by GEW: 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2009
walata44:

I beg to disagree with u. What about your imaginary God? Has he fight for the Nigerians oppressed?
if God was not merciful on nigeria you would all be in hell in that Godless place you call nigeria.  you know the wickedness in the mind of the average of nigerian.  so dont even go there.

as a people we love to practice wickedness, injustice and the worst forms of idolatory and occultism and are looking forward to a better paradise on planet earth.

do you know any God using people like nigerians?

thankfully in the midst of that gross darkness there is still the light of the gospel shinning.  you ought to be gratefull my brother.
Aloy~Emeka:

I agree with ibime here. There should be absolute freedom freedom for all. What the man did was to impose his religious faith on another which is very wrong. If he has so much power, why not destroy the cloth without touching it physically. That is what real christians do every night when they pray and invoke the holy spirit for a spiritual warfare. The man is no different from boko harem.
there are mysteries in the world. which is better to leave the tree and people continue to live in bondage and oppression or destroy the tree and people are set free? i prefer the tree be gone. like i said our people like darkness too much so any tree that does not bear forth good fruit shall be uprooted.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Ibime(m): 3:50pm On Sep 01, 2009
GEW:

which is better to leave the tree and people continue to live in bondage and oppression or destroy the tree and people are set free? i prefer the tree be gone. like i said our people like darkness too much so any tree that does not bear forth good fruit shall be uprooted.

Since pastors also put us in bondage by declaring our children to be witches, taking one-tenth gross of our hard-earned money to live lavishly, and fraternising with the corrupt political classes who oppress us, should we also suggest that these trees churches which do not bear good fruit be uprooted?

In that case, since the Ogboni should "fight for himself", one should have to face no repercussions for burning down a church as Jehovah can also "fight for himself".
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Beaf: 3:54pm On Sep 01, 2009
GEW:

if God was not merciful on nigeria you would all be in hell in that Godless place you call nigeria.  you know the wickedness in the mind of the average of nigerian.  so dont even go there.

as a people we love to practice wickedness, injustice and the worst forms of idolatory and occultism and are looking forward to a better paradise on planet earth.

do you know any God using people like nigerians?

thankfully in the midst of that gross darkness there is still the light of the gospel shinning.  you ought to be gratefull my brother. there are mysteries in the world. which is better to leave the tree and people continue to live in bondage and oppression or destroy the tree and people are set free? i prefer the tree be gone. like i said our people like darkness too much so any tree that does not bear forth good fruit shall be uprooted.

Godless place! With churches on every corner? You obviously hve never left Nigeria, otherwise you would have known that "Godlyness" does not feature in the developed World. Nigeria is not backward because we are "wicked", no; we are backward because our leaders (including your pastors) keep the people down with only crumbs to squabble for. They have replaced the colonial master and slave driver.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by spikedcylinder: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

There should be absolute freedom freedom for all. What the man did was to impose his religious faith on another which is very wrong. IThe man is no different from boko harem.

Exactly. All this religious intolerance is irritating. The pastor has shown a fair share of the "my religion is better than yours" brouhaha. What should then happen to Christian that go and get baptised at bar beach? Should they be stoned to death by people practising other religions?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by PastorAIO: 7:41pm On Sep 01, 2009
I no support that pastor at all at all. It reminded me of a born again 9ja school teacher in England that got sacked from the school. What did she do? She tore of the hijab of a muslim student and called her 'stupid allah' a joke.
What the hell is wrong with these people? I'm glad that that stupid woman got the sack and the stupid pastor ought to be charged for religious intolerance, aggravating religious hatred (okay these are british laws, but they should be passed in nigeria too).

As for the matter of who owns the land, that raises a dispute that has been on ground for over a century now. A lot of shrines have been sacred places for centuries and belonged to the respective local cult and the traditional rulers involved. It is probably considered Federal government land now, but The federal govt has it's way of settling these disputes with tradition rulers.

Another point: Muslims tell the story of Abraham destroying the idols in the Kaaba and telling the people of Makkah that if they are real gods then they will be able to protect themselves. This is a tale that Muslims would be wise to meditate on. Too many muslims take it upon themselves to fight for Allah. Is it that Allah cannot defend himself?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:42pm On Sep 01, 2009
ROTFLMAO
I like christians sha, there is always an escape route for them, this is religious intolerance and it should be rejected !!!!
Where was God, Jesus the Holy spirit, the host of Angels, the saints in heaven, and even the Christians on this earth to help the man?
ROTFLMAO see wetin dream dey cause grin grin grin grin
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by posakosa(m): 9:38pm On Sep 01, 2009
There is no proof that the tree is an Ogboni shrine.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
Crazy pastors i kill almost every day. . . angry  angry  angry anyway what a heck im i doing here 4 all?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by MrCrackles(m): 10:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
bilymuse:

One of the men began asking him who sent him and why he was trying to pull down their god, but Mr. Nwafor quickly cut him short.
“My brother, there is no other god apart from the Almighty God. If not that the people refused to give me cutlass, I would have cut this thing down. The tree has no power.”
That was the last thing he said.
“How can he come and destroy our place of worship? He must not go scot free,” said one of the men, his eyes already spitting fire.
The preacher was, however, saved by the timely intervention of police officers from the nearby Orile Police Station.
That bit right up there is awesome! grin cheesy grin
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by bawomolo(m): 2:09am On Sep 02, 2009
“This is unbelievable! For this man to actually burn this thing, he must truly be a man of God,” said Paschal Nwoke, an onlooker.

gullible folks grin grin

Lets african traditional worshipers do their thing. these Pentecostals are becoming insane
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Krayola2(m): 2:28am On Sep 02, 2009
They should have allowed that pastor to chop his beating nicely. Buffoon. . just dey be be scout, na im "blows descend" on am grin grin
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by GEW: 2:41am On Sep 02, 2009
Beaf:

Godless place! With churches on every corner? You obviously hve never left Nigeria, otherwise you would have known that "Godlyness" does not feature in the developed World. Nigeria is not backward because we are "wicked", no; we are backward because our leaders (including your pastors) keep the people down with only crumbs to squabble for. They have replaced the colonial master and slave driver.
  churches in every corner do not equal Godliness.  yes nigerians go to church but about 99% still have no qualms doing 419, belonging to the occult and every other wicked things you can name.

if you call Gods name you are to depart from iniquities not be an active doer of evil and aborminations. 
we had more sanity in nigeria before now so something is wrong.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Krayola2(m): 2:56am On Sep 02, 2009
chei !! na wa 4 overgeneralization . . .this nairaland sef na waa. Just pack people and throw them inside box label am with whateva una want. small time people go dey shout say dem go school.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by 9ja4eva: 5:12am On Sep 02, 2009
Another movie
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by chic2pimp(m): 6:30pm On Sep 02, 2009
bawomolo:

gullible folks grin grin
My points exactly. Naija peeps and their love of miracles.
bilymuse:

[size=15pt]

Kai that guy was lucky. He would have been beaten black and blue so te him family no go recognize man.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by olabowale(m): 10:08pm On Sep 02, 2009
@Pastor AIO; « #17 on: Yesterday at 07:41:08 PM »
Another point: Muslims tell the story of Abraham destroying the idols in the Kaaba and telling the people of Makkah that if they are real gods then they will be able to protect themselves. This is a tale that Muslims would be wise to meditate on. Too many muslims take it upon themselves to fight for Allah. Is it that Allah cannot defend himself?
Idols in Kaaba, in the days of Ibrahim (AS)? Was it before he built it or after it, when it is known that he left his son and the young wife, Ismail and Hajar, respectively, in a desolated land? I think you are talking about when Ibrahim was still in Ur, the old city state of his bloodline in Iraq. You should go back to your history source and reverify it, all over, again! I thought you knew something about Makka?

If you said Muhammad (AS), I would say that you are correct. I wonder if you do not know that Islam of Muhammad (AS) was completed after the Kaaba is rid, completely of IDOLS!
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by bindex(m): 7:35am On Sep 03, 2009
olabowale:

Idols in Kaaba, in the days of Ibrahim (AS)? Was it before he built it or after it, when it is known that he left his son and the young wife, Ismail and Hajar, respectively, in a desolated land? I think you are talking about when Ibrahim was still in your, the old city state of his bloodline in Iraq. You should go back to your history source and reverify it, all over, again! I thought you knew something about Makka?

If you said Muhammad (AS), I would say that you are correct. I wonder if you do not know that Islam of Muhammad (AS) was completed after the Kaaba is rid, completely of IDOLS!

What is this? He made a very good point telling muslims to learn from what is written inside their own koran and allow allah to fight for himself isntead of them fighting for allah all the time, instead of addressing that you go on a ridiculous story line (that is a lie by the way) of how ibrahim built the kaaba grin grin.
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by PastorAIO: 9:26am On Sep 03, 2009
olabowale:

@Pastor AIO; « #17 on: Yesterday at 07:41:08 PM » Idols in Kaaba, in the days of Ibrahim (AS)? Was it before he built it or after it, when it is known that he left his son and the young wife, Ismail and Hajar, respectively, in a desolated land? I think you are talking about when Ibrahim was still in your, the old city state of his bloodline in Iraq. You should go back to your history source and reverify it, all over, again! I thought you knew something about Makka?

Okay, I got it wrong. I said Ibrahim instead of Muhammad. But that doesn't change the import of the story. Mohammad challenged the cults of Makkah to allow their Gods to fight for themselves. Why will Mohammadans not allow Allah to fight for himself?
Re: Man Of God Desecrates Ogboni Shrine by Beaf: 1:24am On Sep 05, 2009
GEW:

churches in every corner do not equal Godliness. yes nigerians go to church but about 99% still have no qualms doing 419, belonging to the occult and every other wicked things you can name.

if you call Gods name you are to depart from iniquities not be an active doer of evil and aborminations.
we had more sanity in nigeria before now so something is wrong.

True. angry

The thing that is wrong with Nigeria today is that, we've left common sense and good society behind for the worship of money. A great part of this problem is; too many churches and various levels of Boko Haram.
Nigeria was better in the past when there where no churches. Benson Idahosa started all of this rubbish, Yusuf has extended it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

(photos+video) I Started Lecturing At The Age Of Two-revealed By Popular Islamic / Sharia Laws In The Bible / The 6 Alien Species Currently Fighting For Control Over Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.