Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,813 members, 7,956,073 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:13 AM

Is It A Waste Of Time To Study Computer Science/engineering In A University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It A Waste Of Time To Study Computer Science/engineering In A University (645 Views)

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria? / Adebola Olubamiji: First Black To Get PhD In Biomedical Engineering In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It A Waste Of Time To Study Computer Science/engineering In A University by NigerianScholar: 12:18am On Jun 19, 2016
I stumbled upon this old thread
Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 1:44pm On Sep 05, 2013
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.
The reason I decided to bring this back is because Things have changed now..with more computer and it training centers coming up everywhere.
I now wonder if it would just be better to learn programming, coding and everything by yourself or at a training center or use 4 years in the university to study it as a course. Please, give your opinions below.
Before you comment. Please take note
1. Computer science is a very wide course..its not only about programming
2. Most computer training centers are not legitimate
3. Many self taught people made it in the it world without studying Computer science
4. I do not think the vocational skill gotten in a training centre is equal to the theoretical and pratical approach given in a university
5. Consider the current situations in Nigeria
6. You cant get a certificate from niit or somewhere similar and there are now many e-books and video tutorials available online for free

You can check out the thread here - https://www.nairaland.com/1426715/why-waste-4-years-computer

(1) (Reply)

Lasu Postgraduate 2016/2017 Applicants / FG Clarifies Ban On Post-utme, Admission Procedur / N10,000+ Reparation Fee For UNEC Students??? Thats Somebody's School Fees!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.