Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,548 members, 7,819,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (29091 Views)

TETFund Gives N12bn Grant To 12 Universities To Pioneer Researches / Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Timekeeper: 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2018
A senior lecturer at the University of Ibadan identifies 12 universities that bets offer Computer Science.

Computer Science students (Jigpoly)
If Computer Science is the course you choose to study in the university, then you've got to choose the university that best offers the program.
Recently, Pulse informed admission seekers about institutions that best offer Law and Medicine in the country and many UTME candidates are taking advantage of the guide Pulse Student dishes out on the universities that best offer certain courses.

Unlike Law and Medicine, there is no professional body that rates the study of Computer Science in Nigerian Universities, but lecturers with years of experience in both field and lecture rooms can authoritatively recommend the best school to study this course for admission seekers.

Dr Roberts Charles, who is a Senior Lecturer of Computer Science at the University of Ibadan is one of such authorities.

The lecturer who has been teaching the course for 17 years at the premier University identified 12 universities that have proved to be very good at teaching the course.

In a chat with Pulse Students, Dr Roberts said he drew his conclusions based on his interactions with the graduates of the schools who came for master's program at the University of Ibadan.

Here are the Universities he recommends for admission seekers who want to study computer Science.
University of Ibadan

Federal University of Technology, Akure

Federal University of Technology, Minna

Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife

University of Calabar (UNICAL)

University of Benin, (UNIBEN)

Covenant University, Ota

Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)

Kwara State University, (KWASU)

Ladoke Akintola University, Ogbomosho

Ekiti State University (EKSU)

University of Lagos, Akoka

Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.

The lecturer however blamed incompetent lecturers in the universities for the half baked computer science graduates in the country.

"Most Computer Science students in Nigerian Universities today are not practical oriented and it is because they don't have lecturers that are very competent and that is a problem. When the lecturer is not competent, the students too wont be confident in themselves.''

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by akashi01(m): 11:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
Did I just see Federal University of Technology Minna there?

Don't mislead people bro, computer science over there is basically Applied Mathematics with small computer packaging.

If you're planning on going there, ask yourself can you cope in Maths department.. if you can, good, then go ahead.

If you can't, please just find another course.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Nobody: 12:51am On Jan 02, 2018
On Elsevier, Covenant and FUTMINNA have the highest number of internationally acceptable research pub respectively for Computer Science.
So if I'm to choose I would choose either of the two. OAU(surprisingly) and futa are well represented on elsevier too.

Elsevier also shows that UNN is a good place to do Comp Science-one of the top ten-it also has the fourth most globally used or relevant reselevant research work(citations).

Lalasticlala

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Dohyn3(f): 1:25am On Jan 02, 2018

5 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Leonbonapart(m): 7:04am On Jan 02, 2018
Ok
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by kenyguy(m): 7:05am On Jan 02, 2018
Good info for those interested.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by olamil34(m): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2018
Most of it is cram and pour

I studied marketing and I can code in four programming languages and created this quickfinda.com

It's a price comparison engine

20 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by KillerBeauty(f): 7:06am On Jan 02, 2018
No Eastern university

5 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Odobaone: 7:07am On Jan 02, 2018
OP Abeg give Ceaser him property.

Position IF for him office and FROM for him office to ease understanding.

Na mistakes like this make naija dey inside this fuel subsidy mess so

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 02, 2018
angry

∆ Whosoever that added OAU to that list no get joy.

Nothing is special in studying Computer Science or Engineering in the university if you can't spend money to learn packages that will build you up as a scientist or an Engineer. Most Universities teach theories and most practical classes are absolutely irrevelant. Imagine University taking FOTRAN as of now.

Computer science is an Endangered specie course like my HOD would say.

A person that studied Psychology or History self with certifications(Web designs, networking, programming/software development) is better than you a computer science graduate with ordinary B.Sc or HND certificate.

What can you offer! Who theory EPP? ∆

33 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by dedons: 7:08am On Jan 02, 2018
Does it mean that computer science graduates from these schools do not look for job

3 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by philtex(m): 7:09am On Jan 02, 2018
FP
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by marwanafrica: 7:09am On Jan 02, 2018
Mirand606:
On Elsevier, Covenant and FUTMINNA have the highest number of internationally acceptable research pub respectively for Computer Science.
So if I'm to choose I would choose either of the two. Futa and OAU(surprisingly) are well represented on elsevier too.

Lalasticlala

if FUTMINNA can made this list and IBBUL could not then I doubt the authenticity of his saying
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by babablogger: 7:10am On Jan 02, 2018
University of ibadan 1st and the Best

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Esomchi44(m): 7:16am On Jan 02, 2018
Education is an overrated sector in Nigeria When no work I advised my friend to drop out and look for something else to do And he is doing that this year
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by abujaArchitect(m): 7:16am On Jan 02, 2018
akashi01:

Don't mislead people bro, computer science over there is basically Applied Mathematics with small computer packaging.

If you're planning on going there, ask yourself can you cope in Maths department.. if you can, good, then go ahead.

You must be referring to 8-10yrs ago when it was a double honour course in FUTMx (i.e Maths-Computer)
Around 2011 a big faculty was built and believe you me FUTMx has one of the best computer science dept. in the country.

The lecturer's information is far more updated than yours

17 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Gbotun(m): 7:17am On Jan 02, 2018
akashi01:

To be a good Computer Scientist, the knowledge of Mathematics is very important because without that you can't be a good programmer. Without Mathematics, you will be at sea with some programming languages like FORTRAN,ADA and even the common ones like Java, C, C+ etc still requires basic mathematics.

18 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Elfaris(m): 7:18am On Jan 02, 2018
FUTminna should be number one.I think it's the best technology university in west Africa.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Opexzy: 7:18am On Jan 02, 2018
olamil34:
Most of it is cram and poor

I studied marketing and I can code in four programming languages

That does not make you a computer scientist in anyway... Programming language is what i think everybody should learn. Computer science is far beyond programming. Programming is just like a prerequisite for all fields in computer science..
Wake up from your slumber bro.

11 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by teamv: 7:19am On Jan 02, 2018
Rubbish
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by DoTheNeedful: 7:22am On Jan 02, 2018
Computer Science is not properly taught in Nigeria. It took me a long time after bagging my first degree in CS to decide whether to further my studies in that line. Most lecturers of CS in Nigeria don't know their bearing in the field hence, they can't prepare students well in the field. Some can't even write a program to write their names in any programming language even at gunpoint grin.

Apart from the lecturers, the students are also to be blamed. No school or lecturer can give you all you need. In-fact to be a thoroughbred professional, you have to develop yourself beyond any classroom. Even in civilized nations like Canada, US etc, the students with best programming and related skills don't rely solely on their professors.

I also believe that the CS curriculum in Nigeria needs to be overhauled, the curriculum in Nigeria is quite archaic. Although even the archaic content is not properly taught and understood in Nigeria. I have seen many CS graduates complain that they were only taught FORTRAN, PASCAL etc but the fact is that they don't even understand the FORTRAN or PASCAL properly. If they know those so-called archaic languages well, they will find it easy to switch to other languages like Python, C++, Java because programming is a way of thinking and not really about the language you use.

In all, I am yet to see any university in Nigeria whose CS program impresses me although I have seen some very smart CS graduates of Nigerian universities; these graduates worked on themselves.

14 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by hakeem4(m): 7:23am On Jan 02, 2018
If you have the finance I’d advise you to choose covenant. It’s a very good school

6 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Vstuffs(m): 7:28am On Jan 02, 2018
UNN have a good computer science curriculum, which is close to what most foreign schools do use.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Shittaakeem(m): 7:32am On Jan 02, 2018
Gbotun:

To be a good Computer Scientist, the knowledge of Mathematics is very important because without that you can't be a good programmer. Without Mathematics, you will be at sea with some programming languages like FORTRAN,ADA and even the common ones like Java, C, C+ etc still requires basic mathematics.

What is this one saying
You don't need mathematics to be good in programming.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Ejiod(m): 7:37am On Jan 02, 2018
Opexzy:

That does not make you a computer scientist in anyway... Programming language is what i think everybody should learn. Computer science is far beyond programming. Programming is just like a prerequisite for all fields in computer science..
Wake up from your slumber bro.
Pls what is beyond programming in computer science . is the hardware that you will stl have to write an algorithm. Bro the bedrock of computer science is programming. Once you are good @ it you will just jump away from school. Go ask Bill gates,Mark zukerberg,speilgal,Steve jobs etc. Bros coding na the koko. Now everyone is talking Machine learning & Data science, where are we in this field? Bros leave Mata programming is computer science.
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Doerstech(m): 7:38am On Jan 02, 2018
Really?
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by Webman007: 7:39am On Jan 02, 2018
Seriously?
Re: 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science by TEYA: 7:41am On Jan 02, 2018
olamil34:
Most of it is cram and pour

I studied marketing and I can code in four programming languages
Did you enrol in any institute or you taught yourself?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Else Did This? / Top 15 Most Competitive Universities In Nigeria / Universities To Reopen In January 2021 - Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.