Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,991 members, 7,810,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda (667 Views)

I’ve No Northern Agenda – Buhari / CBN Governor Lamido Sanusi Has 7 Bullet-Proof Cars - CKN / See What Sanusi Has Done To HiTV. They've Lost Premiership Rights! Painful! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by AloyEmeka6: 1:17am On Sep 01, 2009
Sanusi has an agenda • Says his manners upset
By duro adeseko

Saturday, August 29, 2009
Presidential candidate of the All Peoples Party (APP) and the Alliance for Democracy (AD) in 1999, Chief Olu Falae is an experienced banker. He was the Managing Director of the Nigerian Merchant Bank.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/29/513.html

Following the current uproar in the banking system after the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi removed the Chief Executive Officers of five banks, Saturday Sun sought his views on the action.

Falae slammed Sanusi over the use of language, style and approach and confessed that the way Sanusi carried out his first official function upset him.

He warned that the CBN and the banks have no business taking debtors to court but agreed with those who claimed that Sanusi has an agenda. According to Falae, the combative nature of Sanusi created the impression that his agenda may be personal or he might be acting out a group objective.

Can you explain to ordinary Nigerians in a language they will understand, what exactly is happening in our banking industry?

I will explain as much as I can. But I cannot pretend that I understand fully what is going on at the present time. What I understand is happening is that the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has decided to remove from office the CEOs of a number of banks plus the executive directors of some other banks. It is on the grounds that under their watch or tenure their banks became distressed in the sense that the banks gave a lot of loans, which are not performing. This means repayment are not coming to the banks and the banks don’t have enough cash with which to run its affairs and make fresh loans to other people. That in summary is what I think is going on.

The Banking Act empowers the Central Bank to remove from office banking executives who in their opinion, when such fact is well established, is responsible for the distress of their institution. That is what it seems the Central Bank is doing.

Do you think the CBN Governor is executing a northern agenda as some accuse?

I have read that. But, there is no basis for making such assertion. Yes, he said he will sell these banks but he has not said to anybody from the North. You cannot impute that motive that since he said he would sell, he was surely going to sell to certain people in the country[b]. But given the political situation in the country, all kinds of theories are bound to be proposed to explain his combative and aggressive nature in carrying out his duty. The way he has done it gives the impression that there is much more to it than meets the eye. As I said earlier, the impression he is creating is that he has an agenda.[/b] It is either his personal agenda or a group agenda. But the way he has done it and the kind of errors that are coming out show that it was a hurried job. What is the rush about? You won’t take your time to study situation properly. Nigeria didn’t start today and it will not end tomorrow. So, those are the reasons people are beginning to wonder whether he is implementing an agenda other than the banking agenda.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by Nobody: 3:16am On Sep 01, 2009
these banks are private banks, why is Sanusi selling them? To whom? the same thieves from the north who looted the treasury? I pity southern nigeria.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by AloyEmeka6: 3:20am On Sep 01, 2009
Read another  transcript here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-317509.0.html   about their pattern 

Whatever Sanusi has in mind is yet uncovered.

But I was taken aback when our new CBN governor who I like because of his performance at the National Assembly when he was interviewed for confirmation. He had impressed me. But the very combative way he carried out his first major assignment shocked me. He said he would take on some people in the banking sector. He is a public officer. He is not a politician. Therefore, in performing official duties in a very neutral way – he should be professional. There should be no emotion. He should not display either anger or joy about what he is doing. It is not a personal thing. You are doing your job like a public officer, which is what he is. But for him to permit himself to threaten some people is unfortunate. That is capable of prejudicing the quality of his decisions. People will wonder whether he is being professional or maybe in the course of his career, he might have come across some of these executives. Maybe they have had a clash before and now he is in position of a public office he wants to get back at them. It is unfortunate. His action may be absolutely right. But the way he has carried it out in my view has prejudiced that action. It has made people question the sincerity and the legitimacy of his decision.

Secondly, he said he preferred to sell institutions. Again, he is not the one to decide what happens to those banks. It is a collective responsibility. The shareholders have a stake in this matter
. The NDIC that insures deposits has a stake and then the Board of the CBN. He is not the board of the CBN. He is the governor. It is the board, in consultation with these people who will decide what happens to the banks. He said it as if he owns the CBN. He has all the powers that the banking Act conferred on the CBN. He is not the CBN. He is the governor. He is very important in CBN, but he is not the whole of the CBN. His language makes me very convinced about his perception. This is my view about his style, language and approach. I cannot comment extensively on the content of what he said because I have not seen the report.

There is another aspect I want to comment on. They talk about debtors being taken to court. Again, I don’t understand what is going on. A debtor can only be taken to court if he broke the law in the process of contracting the loan. That is if he committed a criminal offence. Owing money itself, no matter how long it is, is not a criminal offence

Hear the real president Nigeria never had talk. Thank you Olu.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by Nobody: 3:22am On Sep 01, 2009
Bank of the north, Unity bank, Societe Generale . . . all failed - where was the CBN to forcibly take them over and sell them?

I'm not one prone to conspiracy theories but its clear this is a northern agenda masked in the guise of fiscal responsibility.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by naijaking1: 5:04am On Sep 01, 2009
If it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, walks like a duck, and takes over other people's properties(banks) like a duck; it is a duck tongue
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by AloyEmeka6: 3:26pm On Sep 01, 2009
naijaking1:

If it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, walks like a duck, and takes over other people's properties(banks) like a duck; it is a duck tongue
Yes; but it may be too early to conclude. That is why Olu Falae said Sanusi is suspicious but not yet guilty.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by candylips(m): 3:39pm On Sep 01, 2009
davidylan:

these banks are private banks, why is Sanusi selling them? To whom? the same thieves from the north who looted the treasury? I pity southern nigeria.

Wrong they are not private banks. they are Public banks. (PLC) with most shareholders beign the general investment public
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by spikedcylinder: 3:43pm On Sep 01, 2009
davidylan:

Bank of the north, Unity bank, Societe Generale . . . all failed - where was the CBN to forcibly take them over and sell them?

Exactly!
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by sjeezy8: 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2009
The guy is going to sell them to the northerners
lipsrsealed
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by AloyEmeka6: 5:08pm On Sep 01, 2009
candylips:

Wrong they are not private banks. they are Public banks. (PLC) with most shareholders beign the general investment public
If the CEO's broke a law through lending, then hold them responsible but why arrest people indiscriminately because they are owing?.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by AloyEmeka6: 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2009
sjeezy8:

The guy is going to sell them to the northerners
lipsrsealed

Read before you talk; he is selling to foreigners.
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by muhsin(m): 1:57pm On Sep 02, 2009
Why can't we be told of that agenda? grin
Re: Falae: Sanusi Has A Northern Agenda by DisGuy: 2:53pm On Sep 02, 2009
theres noting in this interview to suggest theres an agenda

olu falae
The Banking Act empowers the Central Bank to remove from office banking executives who in their opinion, when such fact is well established, is responsible for the distress of their institution. That is what it seems the Central Bank is doing.

I have read that. But, there is no basis for making such assertion. Yes, he said he will sell these banks but he has not said to anybody from the North. You cannot impute that motive that since he said he would sell, he was surely going to sell to certain people in the country

I like nigerians sha, we love to manipulate words to suit ourselves! grin

(1) (Reply)

Online Condolence Register For Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi / Kindly Drop A Curse For Mr President / Nigerian Army Prepare For Bloody Showdown In Niger Delta!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.