Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,285 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? (7728 Views)

ATHEISTS: Why Do Demons Tremble When They Hear This Name?. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheists, Why Do You Not Believe In God Despite All The Evidence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Blaqsmith(m): 11:36pm On Jul 06, 2016
ireneony:
this made sense "the only reason i was a Christian was by choice"..
I think so too.

I'm starting to dislike Christianity. .

But for now i still believe in God.
With this simple post, you are already an atheist. All you need now is the strength to declare it. It takes a lot of strength.

4 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Tintinnoty(m): 11:51pm On Jul 06, 2016
Seun:
It happened at a time when I had many problems in my life and I decided to skip sunday fellowship because frankly, the fellowship hadn't done anything whatsoever to help me with my problems. Over the next week, I tried to examine the impact of my personal relationship with God on my life and I could only conclude that it had a negative impact on my life. If I had relied on my own understanding to make decisions, instead of doing things I thought God wanted me to do, my life would have been so much better. So I told my roommates that I'd be an interim atheist until I got some strong evidence of the existence of God and the truth of the bible. I'd no longer give Christianity the benefit of doubt.

(I could do that because in my quest to be a better Christian, I learnt exactly how the bible was put together, which was a mess. I'd discovered the contradictions in the bible. I'd tried to convert a muslim who was able to defend the flaws of Islam as well as I could defend the flaws of Christianity, which made me realize that the only reason I was a Christian was by choice, due to being born into it. My quest to witness the pentecostal promise of signs and wonders had been fruitless. Even speaking in tongues had turned out to be not supernatural at all)

As an atheist, I started the process of rethinking my life, and everything now made so much more sense. All those 'difficult questions' I used to struggle with as a Christian who actually read the bible and tried to make sense of it were easily answered thus: "because there's no God".
Mr. Seun if you won't mind I can share a pdf file with you, after going through it you can then conclude if truely there's God or not. The existence of God a contentious issue and it should be treated as such
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by OlayinkaFawaz(m): 1:42am On Jul 07, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:
I STARTED TO IMAGINE LIFE & DEATH FROM THE TIME I WAS 7. OR EVEN 5.
LOST MY DAD WHEN I WAS 2MONTHS OLD SO IT WASN'T TOO BRILLIANT FOR ME.

WAS BORN A CATHOLIC, GREW UP AN ALTER BOY, FROM PRIMARY SCHOOL DAYS TO SEC.

I WAS EVEN SENT TO A MINOR SEMINARY, EVEN AS AN ONLY SON. ALTHOUGH I REALLY WANTED TO BE A MONK SO BAD.. . BUT THE THOUGHT OF BEING AN ONLY SON MADE THE CHOICE OF PRIESTHOOD A LITTLE MANAGEABLE.

FROM THE TIME I WAS A KID I ALREADY HAD PERSONAL ISSUES WITH GOD THO I FEARED AND BELIEVED IN HIM, BUT WHY CHOOSE TO TAKE AWAY MY DAD LEAVING ME AND MY TWO SISTERS TO THE MERCY OF NOBODY, WHAT DID I OR MY PARENTS DO TO DESERVE THIS, I THOUGHT. ..

AT 11, WE LOST MUMSY.

OUT OF ALL THE BAD PEOPLE MAKING THIS WORLD BAD, THIS GUY CHOSE TO TAKE MY PARENTS.. . WHY?
TO LET WE INNOCENT KIDS SUFFER, FOR WHAT REASON NAW, TOT HE'S A LOVELY BEING? ?

I CONTINUED TO FEEL DISAPPOINTED WITH GOD BUT STILL PRAYED WITH HIM OUT OF FEAR THAT I MIGHT DIE A PAINFUL DEATH AND GO TO HELL.

IN 2012, I STOPPED CARRYING MUCH OF CHRISTIANITY IN MY HEART CUZ I COULDN'T IMAGINE OTHER PEOPLE GOING TO HELL AND JUST WE CHRISTIANS GOING TO HEAVEN.

I STOPPED BELIEVING IN JESUS THOUGH I FELT IT WAS RELEVANT TO STILL BELIEVE IN GOD.
BUT NOTHING REASONABLE WAS WORKING FOR I AND MY TWO SISTERS.

DESPITE TAKING AWAY OUR PARENTS THE GUY DIDN'T STILL WANNA MAKE US BE COMFORTABLE, MY BIG SISTER PRAYED AND FASTED FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE GAINING ADMISSION INTO SCHOOL. ..BY THEN MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO SPONSOR HER HAD ALREADY DIED. LOL, I WAS IN JS1 WHEN SHE FINISHED SEC, SO YOU SEE THE REALLY WIDE MARGIN BETWEEN OUR AGES.

MEHN.. I CONTINUED TO PRAY TO THIS MAN UNTIL LAST YEAR, BUT BEFORE THEN I STOPPED GOING TO CHURCH AND ENGAGING IN RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES.
I JUST DECIDED ITS NOT POSSIBLE THAT A LOVELY CREATOR WILL LET ME KNOW SADNESS FROM THE TIME I WAS A TODDLER... DOING HARM TO MY FAMILY ALL IN THE NAME OF GOD'S WILL.
MEANWHILE LETTING POOR KIDS SUFFER AND DIE ALL AROUND THE WORLD, LETTING THE WICKED ONES PROSPER EVEN MORE, AND EVEN MAKE HEAVEN IF THEY REPENT ON THEIR DEATH BED.

EVERY THING BECAME SMOOTER FOR ME WHEN I STARTED THINKING AND LOOKING OUTSIDE THE "RELIGION BOX" AND LIFE HAS BEEN EXTREMELY FAIR WITH ME SINCE I STARTED TO WORSHIP IT AND ADORE NATURE.

AS I 😘A KID I LOVED TO READ ABOUT SPACE.. THEN I DIDN'T EVEN THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO CREATE 9 OR MORE OR LESS PLANETS AND FILL JUST THIS ONE WITH HUMANS. EVEN AFTER DESTROYING THE WORLD BY FLOODING WHY DIDN'T HE JUST RELOCATE NOAH TO SATURN OR RECREATE A NEW MAN ON JUPITER?
HOW WILL AN ALL KNOWING GOD WHO ALREADY KNOWS THE FUTURE, NOT KNOW THAT ADAM WILL EAT THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT.. .. WHY DIDN'T HE REMOVE THE TREE FROM THERE? OR WHY DID HE FORM VEXED AND CURSE THEM WHEN HE ALREADY KNEW THEY WERE GON FCK UP.

HE KNEW CAN WAS GON KILL ABEL, WHY DID HE LET IT HAPPEN ONLY TO FORM VEX AS USUAL, AND CURSE CAIN AND HIS GENERATION.

MEHN I SAW A LOT OF THINGS AS IMPOSSIBLE AND ABSURD IN THE BIBLE AS A KID BUT COULDN'T STOP PRETENDING TO PRAY BECAUSE OF FEAR OF HELL.

WHEN I WAS A TEEN I'LL EVEN ADD IT TO MY PRAYERS. .. I'LL BE LIKE "LORD YOU SEE DEEP DOWN MY MIND, YOU KNOW I REALLY DOUBT AND DISLIKE YOU BUT I'M SCARED OF HELL AND CAN'T STOP DOUBTING YOU CUZ I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE YOU, BUT PLEASE HAVE MERCY"! cheesy

INCASE YOU READING THIS GIBBERISH JUST KNOW I TYPED IT ABSENT MINDED.
PARDON THE IMPROPER GRAMMAR USE AND LACK OF PUNCTUATION I'M JUST TYPING CUZ ITS THE ONLY THING TO DO ON NL.. tongue

BUT I DON'T LIKE TO BE CALLED AN ATHEIST, I DON'T LIKE TITLES AND STUFF, I JUST LIVE LIFE BELIEVING IN LIFE, LOVE, SERENITY, CHARITY, AND UHM.. . MASTURBAT!ON!

this got me...

sometimes i feel like 'if I'll go to hell, i should just go so far no one will see me suffer'

I'm tired of rules, aswear

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Greenlandncom(m): 6:42am On Jul 07, 2016
Funny when people claim to be an atheist!
The commonest reasons people often put out is/are Pains and sufferings in the world and things they can not fully grasp.
When you cook up your conception of 'God' and how he should work or operate the human existence, you are not doing anything different from what the people of old did. Then to gain credence for any single action, all one needs to do was to attach 'God' to it or it to 'God'.
Note that the bible is a mere collection of events and history. It can give you ideas on what people think of God, but can never show you prove of God's existence or his all good, all powerful and all present attributes.
The only true prove of the existence and goodness of God is in your very existence and not what you understand or did not understand from the bible or what a pastor teaches you or what you see/perceive going on in the life of someone which you consider to be unjust.
Nothing in this life is absolute except God.
Even all those claiming to be atheists are never those absolutely. They are only nursing one bais or the other.
I am a Christian! I have experienced many difficulties and have had very weired questions about God and Christianity and religion as a whole.
Truth remains that a true religion is a complete blend of Faith and reason, because man is both a Spiritual and Material being. To dwell on faith alone is absurd, same goes with reason alone.
For those making reference to the killings in the Old testament bible and early Christian era, remember that all these were done at times when , to gain credence for an action, all you needed to do was to attach God to it and everyone would buy it, even though many of such killings were either selfish or for political reasons.
I practice rational Christianity and my Faith makes great sense to me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by SegunMike(m): 7:27am On Jul 07, 2016
Seun:
It happened at a time when I had many problems in my life and I decided to skip sunday fellowship because frankly, the fellowship hadn't done anything whatsoever to help me with my problems. Over the next week, I tried to examine the impact of my personal relationship with God on my life and I could only conclude that it had a negative impact on my life. If I had relied on my own understanding to make decisions, instead of doing things I thought God wanted me to do, my life would have been so much better. So I told my roommates that I'd be an interim atheist until I got some strong evidence of the existence of God and the truth of the bible. I'd no longer give Christianity the benefit of doubt.

(I could do that because in my quest to be a better Christian, I learnt exactly how the bible was put together, which was a mess. I'd discovered the contradictions in the bible. I'd tried to convert a muslim who was able to defend the flaws of Islam as well as I could defend the flaws of Christianity, which made me realize that the only reason I was a Christian was by choice, due to being born into it. My quest to witness the pentecostal promise of signs and wonders had been fruitless. Even speaking in tongues had turned out to be not supernatural at all)

As an atheist, I started the process of rethinking my life, and everything now made so much more sense. All those 'difficult questions' I used to struggle with as a Christian who actually read the bible and tried to make sense of it were easily answered thus: "because there's no God".

Proverbs 14:12.

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 07, 2016
ireneony:
this made sense "the only reason i was a Christian was by choice"..
I think so too.

I'm starting to dislike Christianity. .

But for now i still believe in God.
Why if I may ask?
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by RoyalBlak007: 8:59am On Jul 07, 2016
ireneony:
lol ..funny. ..nah..
I basically don't like any religion. ..for the time being...i will stick with Christianity (passive Christian )

You....a christian cheesy...good for you though grin
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 07, 2016
Greenlandncom:
Funny when people claim to be an atheist!
The commonest reasons people often put out is/are Pains and sufferings in the world and things they can not fully grasp.
When you cook up your conception of 'God' and how he should work or operate the human existence, you are not doing anything different from what the people of old did. Then to gain credence for any single action, all one needs to do was to attach 'God' to it or it to 'God'.
Note that the bible is a mere collection of events and history. It can give you ideas on what people think of God, but can never show you prove of God's existence or his all good, all powerful and all present attributes.
The only true prove of the existence and goodness of God is in your very existence and not what you understand or did not understand from the bible or what a pastor teaches you or what you see/perceive going on in the life of someone which you consider to be unjust.
Nothing in this life is absolute except God.
Even all those claiming to be atheists are never those absolutely. They are only nursing one bais or the other.
I am a Christian! I have experienced many difficulties and have had very weired questions about God and Christianity and religion as a whole.
Truth remains that a true religion is a complete blend of Faith and reason, because man is both a Spiritual and Material being. To dwell on faith alone is absurd, same goes with reason alone.
For those making reference to the killings in the Old testament bible and early Christian era, remember that all these were done at times when , to gain credence for an action, all you needed to do was to attach God to it and everyone would buy it, even though many of such killings were either selfish or for political reasons.
I practice rational Christianity and my Faith makes great sense to me.
i am an atheist because i see no evidence of god or the judeo christian god not because of the sufferings of the world

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by ireneony(f): 9:45am On Jul 07, 2016
iAmCharis:
Why if I may ask?
personal reasons...i don't like to go into details cos i like to keep my outside life private.

Ok! I will say just little
But i doubt if God answers prayers (this is where my doubt started from)
The pagans, they don't believe in God yet things still move smoothly with them, while the Christians will fast, pray and also have faith yet there is no tangible or meaningful things going on in their lives(worsened)

I'm regretting getting more involved in church last year.
It never really impacted any meaningful thing in my life.
In school, i went to a student fellowship. ..i was a passive member for 3yrs..so i decided to become active last year..so i started going to church frequently and their secretariat. Wow i began to see not all that glitters is gold. grin..some of the members do sleep over male/female. So oneday i decided to sleep over...so in the middle of the night, i started feeling some touches in my body..lo.and behold, it was the most religious guy in the church.# i slapped him. Iater he was telling it was the devil, pleading and all.
The next morning i reported to the pastor. I was expecting he would be furious. .then he replied maybe he likes you,...just imagine that!.
I was thinking of reporting to the police for sexual harassment (then i remember our system and police is fuuked up)..

All my life I've never been robbed, it was wen i was involved in church activities i got robbed.

I still believe in God but i hate most Christians hypocrisy.
Those holier than thou meanwhile they're the worst.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by ireneony(f): 9:46am On Jul 07, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

You....a christian cheesy...good for you though grin
are you not?
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 07, 2016
no body should derail this thread
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by RoyalBlak007: 9:50am On Jul 07, 2016
ireneony:
are you not?
no....
I believe in God
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by ireneony(f): 9:51am On Jul 07, 2016
RoyalBlak007:

no....
I believe in God
good to know..cos i believe in God too

1 Like

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by August21(m): 11:07am On Jul 07, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:
I STARTED TO IMAGINE LIFE & DEATH FROM THE TIME I WAS 7. OR EVEN 5.
LOST MY DAD WHEN I WAS 2MONTHS OLD SO IT WASN'T TOO BRILLIANT FOR ME.

WAS BORN A CATHOLIC, GREW UP AN ALTER BOY, FROM PRIMARY SCHOOL DAYS TO SEC.

I WAS EVEN SENT TO A MINOR SEMINARY, EVEN AS AN ONLY SON. ALTHOUGH I REALLY WANTED TO BE A MONK SO BAD.. . BUT THE THOUGHT OF BEING AN ONLY SON MADE THE CHOICE OF PRIESTHOOD A LITTLE MANAGEABLE.

FROM THE TIME I WAS A KID I ALREADY HAD PERSONAL ISSUES WITH GOD THO I FEARED AND BELIEVED IN HIM, BUT WHY CHOOSE TO TAKE AWAY MY DAD LEAVING ME AND MY TWO SISTERS TO THE MERCY OF NOBODY, WHAT DID I OR MY PARENTS DO TO DESERVE THIS, I THOUGHT. ..

AT 11, WE LOST MUMSY.

OUT OF ALL THE BAD PEOPLE MAKING THIS WORLD BAD, THIS GUY CHOSE TO TAKE MY PARENTS.. . WHY?
TO LET WE INNOCENT KIDS SUFFER, FOR WHAT REASON NAW, TOT HE'S A LOVELY BEING? ?

I CONTINUED TO FEEL DISAPPOINTED WITH GOD BUT STILL PRAYED WITH HIM OUT OF FEAR THAT I MIGHT DIE A PAINFUL DEATH AND GO TO HELL.

IN 2012, I STOPPED CARRYING MUCH OF CHRISTIANITY IN MY HEART CUZ I COULDN'T IMAGINE OTHER PEOPLE GOING TO HELL AND JUST WE CHRISTIANS GOING TO HEAVEN.

I STOPPED BELIEVING IN JESUS THOUGH I FELT IT WAS RELEVANT TO STILL BELIEVE IN GOD.
BUT NOTHING REASONABLE WAS WORKING FOR I AND MY TWO SISTERS.

DESPITE TAKING AWAY OUR PARENTS THE GUY DIDN'T STILL WANNA MAKE US BE COMFORTABLE, MY BIG SISTER PRAYED AND FASTED FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE GAINING ADMISSION INTO SCHOOL. ..BY THEN MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO SPONSOR HER HAD ALREADY DIED. LOL, I WAS IN JS1 WHEN SHE FINISHED SEC, SO YOU SEE THE REALLY WIDE MARGIN BETWEEN OUR AGES.

MEHN.. I CONTINUED TO PRAY TO THIS MAN UNTIL LAST YEAR, BUT BEFORE THEN I STOPPED GOING TO CHURCH AND ENGAGING IN RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES.
I JUST DECIDED ITS NOT POSSIBLE THAT A LOVELY CREATOR WILL LET ME KNOW SADNESS FROM THE TIME I WAS A TODDLER... DOING HARM TO MY FAMILY ALL IN THE NAME OF GOD'S WILL.
MEANWHILE LETTING POOR KIDS SUFFER AND DIE ALL AROUND THE WORLD, LETTING THE WICKED ONES PROSPER EVEN MORE, AND EVEN MAKE HEAVEN IF THEY REPENT ON THEIR DEATH BED.

EVERY THING BECAME SMOOTER FOR ME WHEN I STARTED THINKING AND LOOKING OUTSIDE THE "RELIGION BOX" AND LIFE HAS BEEN EXTREMELY FAIR WITH ME SINCE I STARTED TO WORSHIP IT AND ADORE NATURE.

AS I 😘A KID I LOVED TO READ ABOUT SPACE.. THEN I DIDN'T EVEN THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO CREATE 9 OR MORE OR LESS PLANETS AND FILL JUST THIS ONE WITH HUMANS. EVEN AFTER DESTROYING THE WORLD BY FLOODING WHY DIDN'T HE JUST RELOCATE NOAH TO SATURN OR RECREATE A NEW MAN ON JUPITER?
HOW WILL AN ALL KNOWING GOD WHO ALREADY KNOWS THE FUTURE, NOT KNOW THAT ADAM WILL EAT THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT.. .. WHY DIDN'T HE REMOVE THE TREE FROM THERE? OR WHY DID HE FORM VEXED AND CURSE THEM WHEN HE ALREADY KNEW THEY WERE GON FCK UP.

HE KNEW CAN WAS GON KILL ABEL, WHY DID HE LET IT HAPPEN ONLY TO FORM VEX AS USUAL, AND CURSE CAIN AND HIS GENERATION.

MEHN I SAW A LOT OF THINGS AS IMPOSSIBLE AND ABSURD IN THE BIBLE AS A KID BUT COULDN'T STOP PRETENDING TO PRAY BECAUSE OF FEAR OF HELL.

WHEN I WAS A TEEN I'LL EVEN ADD IT TO MY PRAYERS. .. I'LL BE LIKE "LORD YOU SEE DEEP DOWN MY MIND, YOU KNOW I REALLY DOUBT AND DISLIKE YOU BUT I'M SCARED OF HELL AND CAN'T STOP DOUBTING YOU CUZ I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE YOU, BUT PLEASE HAVE MERCY"! cheesy

INCASE YOU READING THIS GIBBERISH JUST KNOW I TYPED IT ABSENT MINDED.
PARDON THE IMPROPER GRAMMAR USE AND LACK OF PUNCTUATION I'M JUST TYPING CUZ ITS THE ONLY THING TO DO ON NL.. tongue

BUT I DON'T LIKE TO BE CALLED AN ATHEIST, I DON'T LIKE TITLES AND STUFF, I JUST LIVE LIFE BELIEVING IN LIFE, LOVE, SERENITY, CHARITY, AND UHM.. . MASTURBAT!ON!

Only a fool says there is no God
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by CAPSLOCKED: 11:42am On Jul 07, 2016
August21:

Only a fool says there is no God

ARRR! MY FAVORITE BIBLE QUOTE cool

3 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by virginboy1(m): 11:49am On Jul 07, 2016
In Summary,

"Why would my creator make me a sexually active entity at a tender age and still tell me not to sex before marriage,abi na because of sex make I marry ni?"

As the urge keeps coming in,I prayed thinking it was the devils work, not until I incidentally come across some books about the psychological and physiological features of man and found out that a part of my brain, d hypothalamus is the culprit.

Well, that is how d curiosity and skepticism started ooo.

But I still go to Church, casually pray incase of incasitive.

In fact "Cognitive dissonance" is what I am exhibiting and I Know.

Sighs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 07, 2016
ireneony:
personal reasons...i don't like to go into details cos i like to keep my outside life private.

Ok! I will say just little
But i doubt if God answers prayers (this is where my doubt started from)
The pagans, they don't believe in God yet things still move smoothly with them, while the Christians will fast, pray and also have faith yet there is no tangible or meaningful things going on in their lives(worsened)

I'm regretting getting more involved in church last year.
It never really impacted any meaningful thing in my life.
In school, i went to a student fellowship. ..i was a passive member for 3yrs..so i decided to become active last year..so i started going to church frequently and their secretariat. Wow i began to see not all that glitters is gold. grin..some of the members do sleep over male/female. So oneday i decided to sleep over...so in the middle of the night, i started feeling some touches in my body..lo.and behold, it was the most religious guy in the church.# i slapped him. Iater he was telling it was the devil, pleading and all.
The next morning i reported to the pastor. I was expecting he would be furious. .then he replied maybe he likes you,...just imagine that!.
I was thinking of reporting to the police for sexual harassment (then i remember our system and police is fuuked up)..

All my life I've never been robbed, it was wen i was involved in church activities i got robbed.

I still believe in God but i hate most Christians hypocrisy.
Those holier than thou meanwhile they're the worst.
gringringrin Sorry that made me laugh. Haha. That was one bad experience though. The pastor's response though. shockedshocked That's too bad. More like something he'll do if he was in the guy's shoes. Shame.

Well, God sure answers prayers. I can attest to that. Many Christians get confused and frustrated because they don't know how to pray. There are different kinds of prayers and different principles applies to them. People pray for the wrong reasons also.
Success in life isn't so much dependent on how much you pray but what you do with your life. For instance, a Christian that doesn't read and prays to pass his exams will fail woefully. Not because God doesn't answer prayers but because the Christian is irresponsible. The Bible clearly shows and tells us that God isn't in charge of this world as well as your life. That's why you have a mind and a will power to make decisions. However, a Christian who knows what he's doing can never be disadvantaged in life because he has the right tools to effect changes_not necessarily waiting for God to do something like many Christians do. God doesn't want us fasting for every little need. Rather, he wants us to use his word to chart the course of our lives into greatness, living above sickness and failure. That doesn't look like a give me help me prayer.

There are hypocrites everywhere, not just in the church. You shouldn't allow that affect you. They were there in Jesus' day. They are everywhere, even in politics. grin All of this will change when you understand that Christianity is not a religion, not a way of life but a life - the pulsating life of Christ manifested in a human vessel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Greenlandncom(m): 12:04pm On Jul 07, 2016
stephenmorris:
i am an atheist because i see no evidence of god or the judeo christian god not because of the sufferings of the world
One of the greatest atheists and Skeptics of all times, David Hume, himself concluded that no one can prove the existence of God just as no one can unprove it.
No satisfactory evidence of the existence of God.
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by TrajansKong: 12:33pm On Jul 07, 2016
August21:
U hv all bn talking. Lemme add mine.

I hv always known dere is God n thru several processes he has proved it.

There was dis tym my Dad wasn't paid fr a full year. We had prayed and prayed cos dad is d breadwinner. Still dere was no hope. I neva doubted Gods power. He drew closer to God. Stopd all forms of immoralities. Lived pure n holy n engaged in mid night prayers specifically against witches n covens.

Some wks later, i dreamt. I saw my dads name in an altar wt d inscription "no progress", n thru out dat night i called on d God dat answers by fire to consume the altar. Dunno but am sure he did cos dat same week, during service my dad was called out by prophecy and d pastor told him dat he saw his name on an altar ( mind you, i had no contact with d man of God). He told him dat d person who is d cause of all dis is a woman n she is going to die.

True to d word of d MOG, 3 wks later we got a call frm our village dat my aunty is dead n bfr she died she mAde some shocking confessions. Immediately after dat my dads salary was released and frm dT tym till nw it has bn promotion upon promotion fr him.

So in my own life i hv lots of reasons to believe God exists n am still redi to share more if u "atheist" like.

Please, no.

We've heard enough about witches, altars, dreams, prophecy and village aunties.

This is what keeps us in the Stone Age.

You are crazy and your life sucks.

7 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
August21:
U hv all bn talking. Lemme add mine.

I hv always known dere is God n thru several processes he has proved it.

There was dis tym my Dad wasn't paid fr a full year. We had prayed and prayed cos dad is d breadwinner. Still dere was no hope. I neva doubted Gods power. He drew closer to God. Stopd all forms of immoralities. Lived pure n holy n engaged in mid night prayers specifically against witches n covens.

Some wks later, i dreamt. I saw my dads name in an altar wt d inscription "no progress", n thru out dat night i called on d God dat answers by fire to consume the altar. Dunno but am sure he did cos dat same week, during service my dad was called out by prophecy and d pastor told him dat he saw his name on an altar ( mind you, i had no contact with d man of God). He told him dat d person who is d cause of all dis is a woman n she is going to die.

True to d word of d MOG, 3 wks later we got a call frm our village dat my aunty is dead n bfr she died she mAde some shocking confessions. Immediately after dat my dads salary was released and frm dT tym till nw it has bn promotion upon promotion fr him.

So in my own life i hv lots of reasons to believe God exists n am still redi to share more if u "atheist" like.

Did you read the thread's name properly?
This is why atheists will get angry and you theists will be saying atheists are always angry.

This is stupidity at its peak, just know that you've accomplished nothing with your post except shown us that you can't read.

4 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Vince77(m): 1:49pm On Jul 07, 2016
virginboy1:
In Summary,

"Why would my creator make me a sexually active entity at a tender age and still tell me not to sex before marriage,abi na because of sex make I marry ni?"

As the urge keeps coming in,I prayed thinking it was the devils work, not until I incidentally come across some books about the psychological and physiological features of man and found out that a part of my brain, d hypothalamus is the culprit.

Well, that is how d curiosity and skepticism started ooo.

But I still go to Church, casually pray incase of incasitive.

In fact "Cognitive dissonance" is what I am exhibiting and I Know.

Sighs.

We are on dsame page.100%

I also read d comments of ireneony and im partly on same page with her, 80%.

I have so many questions on religion and Christianity.

I am a Christian but i dont bliv dat God is responsible for everything dat happns to humans neither do i bliv dat d devil is responsible.

I cant dismiss d existence of God because i hv experienced certain tins in life so i bliv he exists.

People who go to church only do so not cos dey love God but dey do it only because dey fear hell.

If pastors can convince members dat there is no hell i promise u dat u wil hardly see anybdy goin to church cos dey kw God doesnt hv any choice but to take us all to heaven no matter d sin.

I have lived enough on this earth to arrive at d conclusion dat d wicked, inconsiderate, insensitive, immoral and indisciplined pple are those dat called themslvs Christians and they go to church every sunday and sit in d front.

God gave us brain to think and reason but some pple cant use it.

They still disturb God even on little things dat r completely withing human power. Shallow minded.

Abeg i don tire for Christians.

Im really searching for answers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by cjfbn: 8:30pm On Jul 07, 2016
I would like to have a heartfelt discussion with an atheist. Email me on chijiokefbn@yahoo.com
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Lucario007(m): 12:41am On Jul 08, 2016
Hmm... I used to be an atheist, but I'm more mellow about it and I'm an agnostic now. Or something similar.

I don't believe in the possibility of religious Gods, but I'm not arrogant enough to claim that there is absolutely nothing out there in the vast universe possessing the potential power to make the impossible possible.

A common trend I notice is that most atheists become atheists due to a certain tragedy that occurs in to us in our lifetime. Something so fundamentally groundshaking that you begin to realize the unfairness of religion and its practices, just as Seun kindly elaborated for us.

You see, beliefs are strong and hard to change, so are opinions. The only way for one to change their beliefs must be due to a strong traumatic event. Most of us were Christians or Muslims because we were born into the religion, but realizing the fact that had it not been pounded into your head as a child, you would not be a Christian is something that you can only do when certain experiences have forced you to reevaluate your life and choices.

However, just as theists are not perfect, Atheists are also not perfect, as some atheists are only atheists and trolls because they blame all their problems on religion or because they wish to have an excuse to life immoral lives. And then they come online to blatantly attack other religions instead of putting up valid and logical arguments. I really, really despise these types.

Honestly, if someone wishes to believe in religion I feel you should let him, just as long as they don't shove it down your throat or be hypocritical about it.

Just don't mix religion and politics or have it play any roles in the state, because that's when you realize the danger of several thousand ignorant religious fanatics declaring massive wars in the name of conquest and having policies that diminish human rights.

3 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by stainlex(m): 7:11am On Jul 08, 2016
Agnostic here and like everyone else here, no be one day matter.

It all started with soccer and the super eagles. Firstly, I saw them pray before matches and then go on to either lose or draw the match (tbh they won some sha). In retrospect, I can't say if they were really praying or giving themselves some pep talk but it looked like prayers to me back then and I was disappointed anytime they didn't win. I saw that prayers didn't always work then. Seed sown.

Then came France '98. Nigeria had just lost embarrassingly to Denmark and I was watching the replay some days after. I asked my mom whether it would be possible for Nigeria to win the match since nothing was impossible for God to do. She said it wasn't possible, that it's the past (and ignoring the part that says with God, nothing is impossible). I felt bad and disappointed kinda too. I was naïve but patriotic. Seed germinating.

My dad fell sick some years later and I watched as God ignored all prayers but one. The only prayer he answered was the one in which my mom said "God, if you won't heal this man, let him die so this suffering can stop". I guess God was like "I thought you'd never ask" or "Say no more". Seed still germinating.

My mom encouraged me to be active in church. I tried to. I got baptized and became a full member in my church. I asked myself why I was a Christian and when I discovered that it was because I was born into a Christian home, I decided to go on a journey of personal discovery. I got me a jotter, and decided to study the bible. I also wanted to speak in tongues too, but all efforts were in vain. Seed transplanted.

So while studying the bible, as usual, things didn't make sense. I continued. And then gave up. I never liked going to church though but I respected the teachings of some pastors (especially Poju Oyemade). Nevertheless, I had started vexing with some bible stories, especially the children that were devoured for mocking a prophet. Then came the many many plenty versions and doctrines of church denominations and proliferation of fake miracles on TV (when cripples littered Kano street in Lagos). Seed fertilized.

So I read Dan Brown's Da Vinci code and how it happened that there were other gospel authors apart from the ones in the New Testament. It made sense. Paul, Mathew, Luke et al could not have been the only guys that could write about their experiences with Jesus. There had to be others who wrote something down and even Jesus shoulda dropped some notes. I started researching independently and discovered there were indeed other texts written by other disciples which had been excluded from the NT. Then it dawned on me that the 66 books we revere so much were handpicked by people like me. They determined how we lived our lives today and I didn't like that. Seed watered.

The doubts grew with my coming across of one .docx file listing bible contradictions. I checked em out myself and it now made sense. It only had to be the word of ancient men for the contradictions to be this many. No wonder. God, the great grand architect of the universe (Always been a space buff too) couldn't put his thoughts together and guide some mortals into writing a perfect book. Did he need lessons from Shakespeare?? Something had to be wrong with that God. Seed now flourishing.

Then I saw the 3-part documentary, Zeitgeist, and boy was this eye-opening! I mean, I felt scales fall off my eyes. While trying to confirm/refute the things I saw in that documentary, I came across the works of Sam Harris, then Christopher Hitchens, Dan Dennet, Carl Sagan, Brian Greene, Richard Dawkins, Thomas Paine and all. Even saw a number of Bill Maher's shows and his 'Religulous' documentary. At this point, I knew there was no going back. I dropped religion completely, and stopped believing in the idea of a religious God. Seed blossoming by the river side!

It dawned on me that I had to learn a lot to be able to justify my decisions. Then came the research about evolution and natural selection, the Big Bang theory, and all the shït that the average religious person doesn't know jack about. I was awed. I got more answers in a space of 12-18 months than I have ever had all my life. No contradictions, no threat of eternal bliss/damnation, no asceticism or whatnot, just a steady dose of knowledge that I can't even consume in my lifetime. Seed now tree.

I love the life I'm living now. I'm one of the NicestGuysEverLiveth and I don't need any moral guidance from any religion. Me a inconsequential ina the grand scheme of things and me no need Jah ina me life. When I'm done living, I want to be remembered for touching as many lives as possible (positively) and that's what guides my diurnal activities. Thanks for reading, I'll show myself out...grin grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by donnffd(m): 5:11pm On Jul 08, 2016
My journey was more like moving up the stairs...

Since i was a little boy, i have always been a curious fellow, i loved reading everything that caught my interest, comics, novels, arts, history, and most of all Science. I loved God too, loved him with all my heart.

My mom usually allowed Jehovah witnesses to come to our house to study and with time, i had people who came also to study with me and give me many of their books, like "my book of bible stories", "Revelation", "Questions young people ask" and so on. I also was given many of their articles, Awake magazines and Watchtower magazines, it was usually a fun read.

The First myth i got away with was the concept of Hell, thanks to jehovah witnesses. At first, i could not believe it, i read all the bible passages i could read, researched all i could research and even asked some of my uncles and aunts, note i was just in ss1 and this was a new experience for me, but i wanted to get to the bottom of it and Jehovah witnesses can really be convincing because they always back up their beliefs with bible passages. After evaluating all the examples of hell in the bible, and how the original word in hebrew was mistranslated, i concluded that Hell wasnt real but was still a fervent christian and a lover of God.

In SS3, if someone was to ask me what was my favourite topic in biology, i would say "Sexual Reproduction"(who ddnt), well that was before i got to the end of the biology textbook. Evolution was the last topic in every biology textbook i read in secondary school and for good reason, that sparked my interest immediately. it was new and exciting, never heard of it before and funny enough, it contradicted what was in the bible. Then i started another round of researching, any biology textbook i found, the first page i opened was the Evolution page, my grandfather use to have this library in his house with lots of books, i would go there, look for the biology section and spend hours upon hours reading about Evolution, genetics and Hereditary. I knew it so well that i could recite it from sleep. I would call that another milestone in my life, accepting Evolution as a fact.

When i finished secondary school, i had my first personal computer and Microsoft Encarta was my new favourite friend, i learnt alot from that software due to the fact that internet wasnt as common as it is now. I learnt alot about scientific theories, the age of the earth, the big bang theory, the age of the universe, plantery formation, Life, Exoplanets e.t.c. For the first time, i started to learn about other religions like buddhism, hinduism e.t.c. It made me start to read the bible from a different perspective and before long, i was convinced that christianity like the others were just a load of historical propaganda. Although i still believed in God, more like Deism (Another milestone).

During my final year in the university, i read these books Age of Reason and The God delusion, and that was it, the probability of God existing went from like 90% to about 30% and kept reducing ever since.

(To those who read this finish, sorry for the long post)

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 08, 2016
Greenlandncom:

One of the greatest atheists and Skeptics of all times, David Hume, himself concluded that no one can prove the existence of God just as no one can unprove it.
No satisfactory evidence of the existence of God.

You can't prove non-existence, sir. Flawed logic.

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Greenlandncom(m): 7:55pm On Jul 08, 2016
SirWere:

You can't prove non-existence, sir. Flawed logic.
If you can not prove that God does not exist, then you can not safely say God does not exist.
Nothing is flawed there.
Before you draw your conclusion, you must have laid your premises (proves).
Or else what you are holding remains a mere opinion.
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Niflheim(m): 8:13pm On Jul 08, 2016
It was the day I read Thomas Paine's book, "The Age of Reason", that I started to seriously question religion and Christianity!!! I also read Manly P.Hall's "The Secret Teachings of all Ages" and it spoke about the comparisons between Ancient Greek Mythology and Christianity!!! Plus I tested what the bible said and noticed that it almost never correlates with reality!!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor Busted Having Gay Sex (pictures) / Man Gives £480 Million To Church In 'Pact With God' / Is Majek Fashek A Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.