Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,776 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? (7695 Views)

ATHEISTS: Why Do Demons Tremble When They Hear This Name?. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheists, Why Do You Not Believe In God Despite All The Evidence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 19, 2016
I became an atheist because I'm a very compassionate person, I'm what you'd call an empath.

I used to think to myself, how can so much evil exist in the world and my pastor would say God is an all powerful being. Unless all powerful means something else in his dictionary. The concept of An all powerful, all-good God cannot be reconciled with the world today.

starving kids in Liberia, earthquakes and floods terrorizing Asia and an all-good God sat idly by and let this happen? Many religious leaders would say it's as result of "grace". In other words, the God who created everything is partial to some of his creations. That idea did not add up to me.

I decided to dig deeper, and with my moderate background in science I found that there was no concrete evidence of the Bible stories. And for the first time in my life I felt like a burden was lifted - everything instantly made sense.

I at first didn't accept the gnostic atheist View that there was no God for sure. I still believed that there was a creator, but that creator wasn't described by any religion. Then later on i read about quantum physics and the big bang theory - evidences for evolution and the rest is history. Four years ago today I officially became a gnostic atheist.

Other atheists, please share your stories. I would advise all theists to avoid this thread like the plague. I have neither the strength nor time to argue with anyone.

14 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by fernandoc(m): 3:37pm On Jun 19, 2016
I once tried this s#it atheism. Until I realized it was stupid, even Einstein with all his smartness remained an agnostic. How can you prove there is no God when you can't define Him?

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Zzyco: 5:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
davien:
So atheists that don't interrupt bus transits and communities at odd hours with prayers are the "noise makers" and who also don't cry to invisible creatures for protection are the ones afraid.... good joke. grin

If you have nothing doing, it's not necessary to comment on a forum.
I see! Am a german-nigerian, I ll tell you that 20% of german populace constitute of Christian while 1% other religious faith, 79% are atheist. You don't confront a german atheist, because they are tacit urn in nature, not even internet rant. the same way nigerians followed the way of Christianity and islam, just the same way atheist ism is coming in play.. When a blindfolded person is walking he has no sense of direction. Am not forcing anyone to share the same faith with me. But have concrete facts, so that you won't be inured to every spurious believe in town.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by oglalasioux(m): 5:33pm On Jun 19, 2016
Joshuabase:
I became an atheist because I'm a very compassionate person, I'm what you'd call an empath.

I used to think to myself, how can so much evil exist in the world and my pastor would say God is an all powerful being. Unless all powerful means something else in his dictionary. The concept of An all powerful, all-good God cannot be reconciled with the world today.

starving kids in Liberia, earthquakes and floods terrorizing Asia and an all-good God sat idly by and let this happen? Many religious leaders would say it's as result of "grace". In other words, the God who created everything is partial to some of his creations. That idea did not add up to me.

I decided to dig deeper, and with my moderate background in science I found that there was no concrete evidence of the Bible stories. And for the first time in my life I felt like a burden was lifted - everything instantly made sense.

I at first didn't accept the gnostic atheist View that there was no God for sure. I still believed that there was a creator, but that creator wasn't described by any religion. Then later on i read about quantum physics and the big bang theory - evidences for evolution and the rest is history. Four years ago today I officially became a gnostic atheist.

Other atheists, please share your stories. I would advise all theists to avoid this thread like the plague. I have neither the strength nor time to argue with anyone.

My exact reasons.
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by davien(m): 6:06pm On Jun 19, 2016
[b] Atheism to me looking back all my years of a Christian, I could say was a gradual step..

I attended church regularly, read the Bible in my free time and devoted myself to abstaining from sin..

Being a "nerd" as of then and now I had always been very curious.

I asked questions concerning the various denominations of christianity and why people just blindly believed one interpretation over another, and why anyone would be in trouble just for asking about the truthfulness of the Bible itself..

Nevertheless I still believed in the christian god and even went on challenging atheists in debates about it... time over time something so trivial as logic knocked every supposed "argument for the Christian god", including science and history itself.

It also didn't help that fellow believers don't known basic facts like the first half of the Bible being taken straight from Judaism... and an idea as a single couple populating the earth were a complete biological impossibility due to the less genetic diversity hurdle they would face against common mutations, bacterial and viral diseases...

The day that blew it all for me was the "something from nothing argument"... seems pretty airtight till examined for its own inconsistencies... from there it was a defining bar that the god presented to me had no basis for belief... so I investigated other concepts and they were just as baseless...

And to make things worse to believe in things like god/gods one has to either denigrate human beings as lesser creatures or scum making it easier to discriminate and perform acts of violence on fellow human beings or lie and continuously form a blind eye to gaping holes in the belief out of fear of punishment,being an outcast or out of one's ego or "love" for the belief. [/b]

8 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 19, 2016

Anyways, inspiring write up davien.

2 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by DeSepiero(m): 7:17pm On Jun 19, 2016
Joshuabase:

Are you re♈arded? Or do you have an aneurysm?

I clearly said all theists abstain from this thread, but you just had to display your inherent stupidity?

What exactly is your problem? Please do yourself a favor and unfollow this thread. Don't be a re♈ard. Being a religitard is enough.

I thought I sent him away. grin
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by TrajansKong: 7:49pm On Jun 19, 2016
davien:
to believe in things like god/gods one has to either denigrate human beings as lesser creatures or scum making it easier to discriminate and perform acts of violence on fellow human beings or lie and continuously form a blind eye to gaping holes in the belief out of fear of punishment,being an outcast or out of one's ego or "love" for the belief.

This, basically.

Plus, like Davien, I committed that cardinal sin of African cultures: I questioned established authorities in honesty, was repulsed by the selfishness of heaven and the cowardly, morally depraved fear of hellfire.

I've had very little patience with Xtianity (or fundamentalists) ever since.

1 Like

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Zzyco: 8:31pm On Jun 19, 2016
Joshuabase:

Are you re♈arded? Or do you have an aneurysm?

I clearly said all theists abstain from this thread, but you just had to display your inherent stupidity?

What exactly is your problem? Please do yourself a favor and unfollow this thread. Don't be a re♈ard. Being a religitard is enough.
Intolerance. I don't see any atheist in nigeria. What I see are bunch of lazy youths who want to live a pleasurable life. Please change your name as well. When you get attacked by robbers you ll still scream JESUS, when you narrowly escape an accident you ll shout JESUS, come please don't deceive yourself if I give you 7 days on earth to live, you ll give your life to christ and do the best of things to humanity. Your stone heart is taking you somewhere! Guess where? you know better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by urahara(m): 11:02pm On Jun 19, 2016
DeSepiero:

Common Gerarahia

Lmao . rotflol. Mofo o grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by nwakaibeya1: 11:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
Mathew 13,13-14 Jeremiah 5.21,22 Do you know that Knowing or coming in contact with a true man of God or beign real BORNAGAIN means to be above all kinds of Evil powers and living a life of PEACE and UNBELIEVABLE POWER and remember that JESUSCHRIST did not promise anyone money he only promised PEACE and UNBELIEVABLE POWER but very many humanbeigns who follow pastors and prophets are afraid of the Evil people and once they encounter the evil people they are the first to accuse the other as beign a native doctor or witch and wizards and devil showing fear towards those and they do not have the commonest gift Jesus Christ promised to give those who come in contact with him via so called pastors and prophets etc, which is PEACE and UNBELIEVABLE POWER so as far as the kingdom of real JesusChrist is concerned which we represent all these qualities you think about BORNAGAIN or listed expecially the prosperity syndrome and false humility are nonconforming because if the word PEACE AND UNBELIEVABLE POWER which Jesus Christ promised is not listed and made available to you by whoever is teaching you or bornagaining you then it means he is not from real Jesus Christ and we are open to confrontation and humanbeigns must be told the TRUTH and it is ACCEPT our TRUTH or PERISH#IT is an authority from he that made the SPIRITUAL laws and the power that be and of a TRUTH we have told those who care to know that no matter how or what humanbeigns claim to be it is only at NIGHT that we know who is who and so many who follow the so called pastors and prophets have never seen how his pastors or prophets or whoever is leading them looks SPIRITUALLY because every human being has a SPIRITUAL look and appearance and many who follow him don't know this hidden secrets,so be wise enough to be compliant for you to be truly free and truly wise , meanwhile you must be told that kingdom of JesusChrist has comeback again to judge and revenge Evil humanbeigns on earth and beyond and those who have eyes and ears hear and see what we speak and know it is not ordinary and for those who don't understand the SPIRITUAL, remember we speak SPIRITUALLY and that's where we welcome confrontation and we own the Night and that's Also where the battles of life are fought won or lost and not the empty BORNAGAIN vessels who just talk and quote bible and cannot even talk where their Evil neighbours or Evil villagers or those who they perceive to be Evil and powerful are talking nor do they or are they able to visit their villages but only to be claiming born again in Lagos or elsewhere but cannot confront the Evil powers of their Evil families and Evil villages?why all the noise about BORNAGAIN when truly you don't even know the meaning of BORNAGAIN?which we have explained in our series if you are BORNAGAIN which means JESUS CHRIST lives inside of you,you don't need night vigil or fasting and so called speaking in tongues for JesusChrist to hear your prayer and protect you and all Evil powers must bow before you and know you just like Apostle Paul of bible time whom the Evil spirit recognized but you that claim BORNAGAIN how many evil people know that you have extra ordinary UNBELEVABLE POWER?after all you where told to test every spirit so why not test this one that says no night vigil no fasting and see but YOU cannot only you prefer to suffer and JUST CLAIM BORN AGAIN WITHOUT POWER JUST BECAUSE BORNAGAIN IS IN VOGUE and SO YOU just get involved as how I for do ?and not that you have the benefits of following Jesus Christ there in?why ?As the days of revelation comes by we wish those who deserve a happy and peace what JesusChrist promised which is PEACE ‪#‎we‬ pray for them that God gave us just like Jesus Christ declared and not to pray for everyone, prayer must be specific for those who need it and not for everyone because many human being don't need prayer of justice and can't even ACCEPT it .Why not Be wise AND LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by taurus25(m): 11:46pm On Jun 19, 2016
Zzyco:
Most people become atheist because, they are simply unwilling to accept the truth about the existence of their life. If you say God is watching people suffer, then what is satan doing about it?
Bro, this is disappointing. So in your very small mind you think somehow atheists think god doesn't exist but the devil does??

6 Likes

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by urahara(m): 11:48pm On Jun 19, 2016
Everything all started about 2 years ago when i was in ss3 . i had a very close friend , who was so nice , kind and a person who was always there for me .

Sha , months later , he then told me that he wasnt a xtian nor a muslim, but a goddian . trust xtians na grin, immediately i startted telling him that he would go to hell if he doesnt believe in jesus.

He asked me questions about religion . he asked me how i was so sure that jesus was the son of god and all that and all that . i told him that it was because of jesus fulfilled prophecies ( how gullible i was cheesy ).

I told him he did not want to believe in jesus christ because he just wanted to sin .

I even started to dislike him because of his disbelief in jesus. It caused problems for our friendship.

I asked him what i would do to make him believe . he told me to show him why he should chose christianity rather than other religions

Then i decided that i would dedicate my whole time to searching for scientific proof that the bible is right , historical proof , prophecy fulfilment , and most importantly why he should not choose a religion like islam.

I then started to search for scientific and historical errors in the koran . and issues of violence . i had a good laff and i wondered why any sane person would chose to believe things like that.

Later on , i started finding faults with issues like the trinity , speaking in tongues , etc.

I later discovered that the bible had errors more foolish than those in the koran ,

But a swell idea poped in my mind, i told myself to just inteprete those errors as being figurative ( like kingebukas blog) but i realised that if those errors would have to be figurative , the quranic errors would have to be symbolic as well .

My eyes began to open to other issies such as interdenominational doctrinal conflicts , fraudulent prophecies , christs false prediction of his coming ., yahwehs phobia to iron chariots , god punishing an isrealite who dared to make the priests kind of ointment , the talking donkey , the young earth view , the ridiculousness of a global flood, ezekiel false embarassing prophecy ob the destruction of tyre ( which he himself admitted was false ) ., cobtradixtons in the life of jesus , new testament authors taking prophecies out of context , etc .

With all this , i knew christianity and the bible were nothing but tales by moonlight

I then decided to adopt god believing , which then led to deism, which led to pantheism , and which finally led to agnostic atheism.

Sorry for the long story grin

My plan to convert my friend back fired against me grin cheesy.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Zzyco: 11:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
taurus25:

Bro, this is disappointing. So in your very small mind you think somehow atheists think god doesn't exist but the devil does??

No I think atheist want to make God the look like the victim, leading to their change in believe. Why don't they blame the devil also? Follow the op write up, and see for yourself.
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by taurus25(m): 12:12am On Jun 20, 2016
Zzyco:

No I think atheist want to make God the look like the victim, leading to their change in believe. Why don't they blame the devil also? Follow the op write up, and see for yourself.
it's not exactly like atheists blame god. The moment some of us realize that its questionable that a god which is supposed to be all good exist alongside so much evil in the world, we become doubtful or skeptical of his existence

1 Like

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:02am On Jun 20, 2016
taurus25:

ENTIRELY DISSAPPOINTING, I MUST ADD.
Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:45pm On Jun 20, 2016
I STARTED TO IMAGINE LIFE & DEATH FROM THE TIME I WAS 7. OR EVEN 5.
LOST MY DAD WHEN I WAS 2MONTHS OLD SO IT WASN'T TOO BRILLIANT FOR ME.

WAS BORN A CATHOLIC, GREW UP AN ALTER BOY, FROM PRIMARY SCHOOL DAYS TO SEC.

I WAS EVEN SENT TO A MINOR SEMINARY, EVEN AS AN ONLY SON. ALTHOUGH I REALLY WANTED TO BE A MONK SO BAD.. . BUT THE THOUGHT OF BEING AN ONLY SON MADE THE CHOICE OF PRIESTHOOD A LITTLE MANAGEABLE.

FROM THE TIME I WAS A KID I ALREADY HAD PERSONAL ISSUES WITH GOD THO I FEARED AND BELIEVED IN HIM, BUT WHY CHOOSE TO TAKE AWAY MY DAD LEAVING ME AND MY TWO SISTERS TO THE MERCY OF NOBODY, WHAT DID I OR MY PARENTS DO TO DESERVE THIS, I THOUGHT. ..

AT 11, WE LOST MUMSY.

OUT OF ALL THE BAD PEOPLE MAKING THIS WORLD BAD, THIS GUY CHOSE TO TAKE MY PARENTS.. . WHY?
TO LET WE INNOCENT KIDS SUFFER, FOR WHAT REASON NAW, TOT HE'S A LOVELY BEING? ?

I CONTINUED TO FEEL DISAPPOINTED WITH GOD BUT STILL PRAYED WITH HIM OUT OF FEAR THAT I MIGHT DIE A PAINFUL DEATH AND GO TO HELL.

IN 2012, I STOPPED CARRYING MUCH OF CHRISTIANITY IN MY HEART CUZ I COULDN'T IMAGINE OTHER PEOPLE GOING TO HELL AND JUST WE CHRISTIANS GOING TO HEAVEN.

I STOPPED BELIEVING IN JESUS THOUGH I FELT IT WAS RELEVANT TO STILL BELIEVE IN GOD.
BUT NOTHING REASONABLE WAS WORKING FOR I AND MY TWO SISTERS.

DESPITE TAKING AWAY OUR PARENTS THE GUY DIDN'T STILL WANNA MAKE US BE COMFORTABLE, MY BIG SISTER PRAYED AND FASTED FOR 7 YEARS BEFORE GAINING ADMISSION INTO SCHOOL. ..BY THEN MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO SPONSOR HER HAD ALREADY DIED. LOL, I WAS IN JS1 WHEN SHE FINISHED SEC, SO YOU SEE THE REALLY WIDE MARGIN BETWEEN OUR AGES.

MEHN.. I CONTINUED TO PRAY TO THIS MAN UNTIL LAST YEAR, BUT BEFORE THEN I STOPPED GOING TO CHURCH AND ENGAGING IN RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES.
I JUST DECIDED ITS NOT POSSIBLE THAT A LOVELY CREATOR WILL LET ME KNOW SADNESS FROM THE TIME I WAS A TODDLER... DOING HARM TO MY FAMILY ALL IN THE NAME OF GOD'S WILL.
MEANWHILE LETTING POOR KIDS SUFFER AND DIE ALL AROUND THE WORLD, LETTING THE WICKED ONES PROSPER EVEN MORE, AND EVEN MAKE HEAVEN IF THEY REPENT ON THEIR DEATH BED.

EVERY THING BECAME SMOOTER FOR ME WHEN I STARTED THINKING AND LOOKING OUTSIDE THE "RELIGION BOX" AND LIFE HAS BEEN EXTREMELY FAIR WITH ME SINCE I STARTED TO WORSHIP IT AND ADORE NATURE.

AS I 😘A KID I LOVED TO READ ABOUT SPACE.. THEN I DIDN'T EVEN THINK IT'S POSSIBLE TO CREATE 9 OR MORE OR LESS PLANETS AND FILL JUST THIS ONE WITH HUMANS. EVEN AFTER DESTROYING THE WORLD BY FLOODING WHY DIDN'T HE JUST RELOCATE NOAH TO SATURN OR RECREATE A NEW MAN ON JUPITER?
HOW WILL AN ALL KNOWING GOD WHO ALREADY KNOWS THE FUTURE, NOT KNOW THAT ADAM WILL EAT THE FORBIDDEN FRUIT.. .. WHY DIDN'T HE REMOVE THE TREE FROM THERE? OR WHY DID HE FORM VEXED AND CURSE THEM WHEN HE ALREADY KNEW THEY WERE GON FCK UP.

HE KNEW CAN WAS GON KILL ABEL, WHY DID HE LET IT HAPPEN ONLY TO FORM VEX AS USUAL, AND CURSE CAIN AND HIS GENERATION.

MEHN I SAW A LOT OF THINGS AS IMPOSSIBLE AND ABSURD IN THE BIBLE AS A KID BUT COULDN'T STOP PRETENDING TO PRAY BECAUSE OF FEAR OF HELL.

WHEN I WAS A TEEN I'LL EVEN ADD IT TO MY PRAYERS. .. I'LL BE LIKE "LORD YOU SEE DEEP DOWN MY MIND, YOU KNOW I REALLY DOUBT AND DISLIKE YOU BUT I'M SCARED OF HELL AND CAN'T STOP DOUBTING YOU CUZ I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE YOU, BUT PLEASE HAVE MERCY"! cheesy

INCASE YOU READING THIS GIBBERISH JUST KNOW I TYPED IT ABSENT MINDED.
PARDON THE IMPROPER GRAMMAR USE AND LACK OF PUNCTUATION I'M JUST TYPING CUZ ITS THE ONLY THING TO DO ON NL.. tongue

BUT I DON'T LIKE TO BE CALLED AN ATHEIST, I DON'T LIKE TITLES AND STUFF, I JUST LIVE LIFE BELIEVING IN LIFE, LOVE, SERENITY, CHARITY, AND UHM.. . MASTURBAT!ON!

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: All Atheists, Why Did You Become An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 24, 2016
This is a bit late but make I add my own :

I'm a guy from a very religious family. My parents were basically good people; even if a tad "spiritual".
My dad loved the bible especially the new testaments; I remember when I was young how he would call me to sit on his side while we discuss the corinthians (1st and 2nd), Romans, Galatians, Timothys and all and how they affect our life today.

The old testament was a relic, a piece of book no longer needed; The new Testament was the MAIN... That was my fathers view although he didn't say it expressely; for like every other kid, I was fascinated by the wars fought by the isrealites (Joshua was a badass, killing four kings in one day grin) and how they always triumphed.... It seemed glorious to me; seemed magnificent and grand. I remember reading the book of Job and wondering the moral of the story. To be Honest, Job seemed to have more points than god did. I remember reading the Psalms, and enjoying the flowery language.

In essence, I held Christianity in high esteem. I truly believed it would solve the worlds problem. Sure, I was disppointed when I hear "Pastor robs church of 10m, runs away" or "choir member sleeps with pastor, becomes pregnant" but it was always brushed over as signs of endtime or at best put to Satan's Malevolence. I thought Everybody not Christians were living a miserable life. I wondered how they could survive without god and how doomed they were

I was a fool.

7 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Today Is Family Weekend In Rccg&what Is Missing In Our Family Today? / After 17 Years, Pastor Goodheart Ekwueme Quits Pastor Paul Adefarasin's Church / Babies Born With Dreads Evil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.