Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,966 members, 7,821,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? (1047 Views)

"Spirit Of Beersheba Sent Me To Seduce Catholic Priests In Amaruru, Imo" (VIDEO) / Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? / Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by mmsen: 9:24pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why do Catholics refer to priests as 'Father' when the Bible claims that Jesus said:

"Don’t call anyone on earth your father. All of you have the same Father in heaven.
None of you should be called the leader. The Messiah is your only leader."

Matt 23:9 - 10

Any logical answers?
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by naomiZ(f): 9:35pm On Jun 19, 2016
we also refer to our dad as father,na sin too?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why do you call Oritsejafor Papa? Why do you call Adeboye and Oyedepo Daddy? Go and read the Bible. I have even noticed recently that Oyedepo followers are wearing his medallion.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why do you call Oritsejafor Papa? Why do you call Adeboye and Oyedepo 'Daddy? Go and read the Bible. I have even noticed recently that Oyedepo followers are wearing his medallion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by kevoh(m): 9:52pm On Jun 19, 2016
kITATITA:
Why do you call Oritsejafor Papa? Why do you call Adeboye and Oyedepo Daddy? Go and read the Bible. I have even noticed recently that Oyedepo followers are wearing his medallion.

Really? That's a new one. italo will love this kind of information and use it to fire the pentecostals. Unfortunately, dude is no longer a regular here.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by theEYe21(f): 10:12pm On Jun 19, 2016
Why do Pentecostals refer to their pastor as daddy? undecided
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by Vince77(m): 12:03am On Jun 20, 2016
kITATITA:

Thats the one dat shocks me.

I jst dont understand why pple would do a tin like dat.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by achinaboy(m): 12:49am On Jun 20, 2016
if this is the only sin the catholics commits, i think they are all going to heaven,
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by mmsen: 6:53am On Jun 20, 2016
naomiZ:
we also refer to our dad as father,na sin too?

According to this passage...
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 7:00am On Jun 20, 2016
mmsen:
Why do Catholics refer to priests as 'Father' when the Bible claims that Jesus said:

"Don’t call anyone on earth your father. All of you have the same Father in heaven.
None of you should be called the leader. The Messiah is your only leader."

Matt 23:9 - 10

Any logical answers?
mmsen:

According to this passage...

So you haven't stopped reasoning like a child.

The Bible also says we should pluck an eye that leads us to sin...

Now ask your childish question on that passage too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 7:02am On Jun 20, 2016
kevoh:

Really? That's a new one. italo will love this kind of information and use it to fire the pentecostals. Unfortunately, dude is no longer a regular here.

No mind people wey dey crase.

But this OP is an Atheist that still can't let go of Christianity...because...

No Jesus, no peace.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by dukum: 8:40am On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

No Jesus, no peace.

Indeed brother.people jst act like they know all and talk ignorantly.good to see you bck frm hmooning grin
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by kevoh(m): 8:47am On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

No Jesus, no peace.
I'm also atheist like the OP( without the funny questions though). Guess no Jesus, No peace for me too tongue
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by mmsen: 8:50am On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

So you haven't stopped reasoning like a child.

The Bible also says we should pluck an eye that leads us to sin...

Now ask your childish question on that passage too.

Why are you mad at me? I didn't write the nonsense written in the Bible.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 9:42am On Jun 20, 2016
mmsen:

Why are you mad at me? I didn't write the nonsense written in the Bible.

"Nonsense" that you're addicted to.

Day and night, you're occupied with this "nonsense."
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 9:48am On Jun 20, 2016
kevoh:

I'm also atheist like the OP( without the funny questions though). Guess no Jesus, No peace for me too tongue

You will 'know,' perhaps when it's too late.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 9:52am On Jun 20, 2016
dukum:

Indeed brother.people jst act like they know all and talk ignorantly.good to see you bck frm hmooning grin

Thank you, brother.

I'm still waiting for him to ask why Christians aren't plucking their eyes.

Guess he has seen how foolish he sounds.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by mmsen: 10:25am On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

"Nonsense" that you're addicted to.

Day and night, you're occupied with this "nonsense."

I read something, I asked a question - why does that enrage you?

What happened to your 'Christian compassion'?

Is 'God' no longer love, patient, kind and true? Do you not claim to have 'God' in your heart?
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 11:28am On Jun 20, 2016
mmsen:

I read something, I asked a question - why does that enrage you?

What happened to your 'Christian compassion'?

Is 'God' no longer love, patient, kind and true? Do you not claim to have 'God' in your heart?

You assume that I'm enraged.

Because you're looking for straws to cling to.

Keep asking foolish questions.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by mmsen: 12:17pm On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

You assume that I'm enraged.

Because you're looking for straws to cling to.

Keep asking foolish questions.

Why is it a 'foolish question'?

Is the Bible wrong? Is the Catholic Church wrong?
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by italo: 2:53pm On Jun 20, 2016
mmsen:

Why is it a 'foolish question'?

Is the Bible wrong? Is the Catholic Church wrong?

If you cannot already see how foolish your question is, then nothing can help you.
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by kevoh(m): 4:36pm On Jun 20, 2016
italo:

You will 'know,' perhaps when it's too late.
undecided Yawn!
Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jun 20, 2016
kITATITA:
Why do you call Oritsejafor Papa? Why do you call Adeboye and Oyedepo 'Daddy? Go and read the Bible. I have even noticed recently that Oyedepo followers are wearing his medallion.

It is equally wrong to do so. Jesus words was against religious titles, including daddy, father etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Catholics Refer To Priests As 'father'? by dialfa: 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2016
brainwashing.
no other reason

(1) (Reply)

Shunning The Shunning:a Real Life Experience Of 3 Days Regional Convention Of JW / Another Mysterious Sign That The End Is Here!!! / Is Mark A Nephilim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.