Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,828 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! (66301 Views)

Watch Video Of Popular Ogun River That Turns Dry Land, / Ogun River In Kara Turns To Dry Land Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / Manatee Caught By Fishermen At Obuamu River In Rivers State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by ManTiger(m): 12:20am On Jun 21, 2016
amuokuko:
OP, it's either u smoked weed mixed with corn or u re related to Lie Mohammed..

See the big lie nd some dude up there are believing you..
Pls if u only saw pictures of the river, just keep mute nd don't contribute bullshit..

How can uprooted grass abi weed turn concrete That some many people were playing, walking, even some rode bicycle over it without noticing some fragile area
Did u notice that people crossed from one end to the other nd none noticed that the river was beneath

Nwanne, it's time u stop deceiving ur kind cous Nigeria ve got wise people..
I've walked on heap pile of debris on water before. It's not necessary weed or grass. It's a product of collective trashes in massive amount which amount which causes sedimentation and hence artificial succession of green plants.

As a geographer, i can only think about the aftermath effect. I foresee massive flooding around the riverine.

Permit me to say you can make your points without abusing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by bejick(m): 12:21am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:
I read this thread about Ogun river in Kara drying up suddenly. I was surprise at various speculations people were making about the incident including. See the thread here https://www.nairaland.com/3174249/ogun-river-kara-turn-dry

All of you are very funny! grin
Earth quake ko, drying up nii.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED AT THAT RIVER.

Those green grass you see are plants that grew by the riverbed, they were either uprooted in very large quantity by the river current at various locations and carried by the flowing river. Due to some possible barricade under the bridge, the grasses could not flow across and thus causing the very large pile of the grass.

Due the pressure by the flowing water and the inability of the grass to cross the obstacle under the bridge, the large pile of grass was so tick that people could even walk over it with the water flowing under it.

With time, if the blockage under the bridge was not forcefully pushed by the weight of the accumulated grass or removed by someone, the grass will decay and gradually flow away and the water will become visible again.

So this explains why you have water flowing on one side of the bridge and the other a very pile of grass.

Hope you now understand the mystery behind the dried up water.

Source: Personal experience from similar incidents around canals.

Shaiiiii there is god ooooo. When you saw people riding bicycle on top. You here telling me of water under water lilies.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by 4rmthewest(m): 12:23am On Jun 21, 2016
Wow
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by fatstan1: 12:24am On Jun 21, 2016
ever811:
if I say ur name is Linus,u won't like it..so grass don turn to concrete abi? I did not witness it,but from the pictures I saw,I can only advice u not to contest with lai Mohammed cause he has been warning femi not to take his position..

Tombs up man. This is what I call picture perfect. You cracked up my ribs.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by logica(m): 12:30am On Jun 21, 2016
ancientbanana:
so one first brought a Caucasian to Africa n started breeding it b4 it became a popular breed. Such can happen in the case of the alligators to over there. Just saying, don't always attack ppl.
Ogbeni the attack is in your mind. Who are you to me? If you were the type willing to learn, you would do so without any twisting and turning; trying to defend a position that isn't tenable.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by bejick(m): 12:31am On Jun 21, 2016
It is only chekereke bird (eglet) that have such privilege to walk on water lilies. Not human else you sink like peter did in the bible

3 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by kingkenOkus16(m): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2016
Knowledge is Power .

Noted

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by matrixme(m): 12:38am On Jun 21, 2016
Nigerians are such wonderful characters. There are phenomena that surround rivers in Geography, river piracy, river beheading, river capturing. A bigger body of water can encroach the path of another and literally steal all its water, more like rediversion. A simple helicopter view or drone recording could point out this fact. And to think people are already praying on it. Is the prayer directed to God or mermaid?
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by predatorX: 12:39am On Jun 21, 2016
odutolasodiq:
op might be right. i walked on it! yes its true the river is flowing under! i was amazed too! please dont argue just make a trip down and witness it.

Wow, I'm gonna be driving on it very soon. At least LASTMA no go fit disturb me for traffic offences

Op and his discipleship, una can be stoooooooooopeed

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by predatorX: 12:49am On Jun 21, 2016
Horlufemi:

It is very logical

If nicely stacked leaves can carry the weight of a human being, then why do we have to go thru the wahala of cutting tree trunks for canoes...... Why not just pluck the whole leaves from the tree.?

There is no amount of leaves that would support buoyancy if not properly shaped into a raft......... Physics no be jazz

4 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by bashydemy1: 1:48am On Jun 21, 2016
odutolasodiq:
why not make a trip down and verify urself? there is a pathway on the river people could walk through i confirmed my self. may be u need to read the statement released by lagos state government warning people not to walk on the seaweed again cos it can sink any moment from now! my brother seeing is believing.
I know that place very well and i normal drive pass when ever am coming from Ibadan.. I never believe until i see those pictures, That was so wide that i can tell you that's not a pathway but middle of the river.. Well let's wait and see in few days.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by sbabimbola(f): 2:10am On Jun 21, 2016
azundu1:

Source: Personal experience from similar incidents around canals.

Nice logical conclusion you have there, however my argument is the spontaneity!
What's the Scientific name of the plant?

I don't mind googling it up if someone can tell me the name?

And I hope this phenomena is not peculiar to Nigeria alone.

#clear our water ways #
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by uvalued(m): 2:14am On Jun 21, 2016
hmm the op sounds plausible but if anyone could have very close range maybe by the bank of the once flowing river, gotten a snapshot, it will benice. #upclosephoto
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by sbabimbola(f): 2:17am On Jun 21, 2016
matrixme:
Nigerians are such wonderful characters. There are phenomena that surround rivers in Geography, river piracy, river beheading, river capturing. A bigger body of water can encroach the path of another and literally steal all its water, more like rediversion. A simple helicopter view or drone recording could point out this fact. And to think people are already praying on it. Is the prayer directed to God or mermaid?

Wait till you get to church on Sunday!
I only pray that it doesn't last.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by agabusta: 2:33am On Jun 21, 2016
macaranta:
Op's explanation is not logical,no amount of nicely stacked grass will allow you move on top it while water flows beneath.For that to have occured a significant amount of deforestation must have occurred nearby.

OPs explanation is very logical! Are u aware that the River flow is from the supposedly dried area??

Yes, the river is flowing from this direction. If the River is indeed dried up, then why is there water flowing away at the other side of the bridge?

Does it not seem logical to u too, that if indeed the River is dried up, then there will not be a flow at the other end.

The explanation to this is simply that the River is still flowing beneath the compacted layer, and this is what constantly supply the other side with a continuous flow of water.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by akigbemaru: 2:44am On Jun 21, 2016
Ogun rivet
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by csamii: 2:46am On Jun 21, 2016
Prestigenedu:

They probably cut all the grasses in Africa and poured into the river.. Lol

Probably not all the grasses in Africa cause the grass in my front lawn is still there. Wait o! How thick is this grass sef?

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by ezeuba(m): 2:46am On Jun 21, 2016
Anything that confounds the average African, and which no other reason cold be attributed to, becomes spiritual...
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by SIRTee15: 3:06am On Jun 21, 2016
predatorX:

If nicely stacked leaves can carry the weight of a human being, then why do we have to go thru the wahala of cutting tree trunks for canoes...... Why not just pluck the whole leaves from the tree.?

There is no amount of leaves that would support buoyancy if not properly shaped into a raft......... Physics no be jazz
it's very much possible.....
water hyacinth can support the weight of humans on it, they are invasive - grow very fast n quite dense.

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by bibiking7(m): 3:07am On Jun 21, 2016

This was what happened during the bomb blast in lagos around that Isolo area. Green plants had covered the water, peeps were running around and thought they could walk on the plants. The only problem was that the grass was not thick enough to walk on, hence they drowned. Now, some folks got to the edge and saw others drowning, stopped and did not want to go in, but the crowd coming behind at full speed pushed them in, hence more folks drowned.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by oshaosha2014(m): 4:00am On Jun 21, 2016
Thank you jare. Me sef dey look say wetin this guy dey type for here. See as him false analysis accurate. People even dey hail am. I tire o.
amuokuko:

Pls if u only saw pictures of the river, just keep mute nd don't contribute bullshit..

How can uprooted grass abi weed turn concrete That some many people were playing, walking, even some rode bicycle over it without noticing some fragile area
Did u notice that people crossed from one end to the other nd none noticed that the river was beneath

1 Like

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by iboroski: 4:11am On Jun 21, 2016
the all truth is that the river dried up don't be fouled,ask urself how will u be riding bicycle and even children playing on top of the grass beneath the water, these is not the first time im seeing such tinz. it happened in one river in my side called odo river till date the river have not return, everywhere dried up.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by Originalsly: 4:31am On Jun 21, 2016
iboroski:
the all truth is that the river dried up don't be fouled,ask urself how will u be riding bicycle and even children playing on top of the grass beneath the water, these is not the first time im seeing such tinz. it happened in one river in my side called odo river till date the river have not return, everywhere dried up.
Did you read the whole report? ...if yes, if the river dried up why was there water flowing from the other side of the bridge?...was that the beginning of a new river? Did you ever stop to think why the Odo river at your side dried up?....did you ever stop to think it was blocked and diverted to supply water for large scale farmers?...or industry?...you may be one boasting about developments in your state and feeling the effects but don't even know.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by Originalsly: 4:47am On Jun 21, 2016
Nairaland is a place to learn. This kind weed floating down rivers in tropical areas is common....very common....but mainly in rainy season. They usually grow on the banks of the river but when the river swells in rainy season....the water breaks them away in huge chunks and they float off with the current. You cannot stand on one such chunk...it cannot support a person's weight....but if blocked as in the report...the chunks would all come together and be compressed by the river flow making it possible it to bear weight. As for me...I would never risk being near to such weed... they usually have reptiles

3 Likes

Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by coldtegs: 5:11am On Jun 21, 2016
Some Nigerians were even going to pray, roll on the grass, they where thinking is a healing ground. Like the one in the Bible, when angels come ones in a while to stir the water, in this case they where thinking angels are in Kara with a pile of healing grass. WHICH WAY NIGERIA.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by olayinkajnr(m): 5:24am On Jun 21, 2016
Lordjiggs09:
Oboi, so this is what ftc feels like? almost two years on Nairaland and now this. sign of good things coming my way. if you believe, you know the deal......
Shout out to all Nlnders and to Oga Seun, for the gift of Nairaland.
God bless us all,
God bless a better Nigeria.

so you feel good thing is coming your way just because you made FTC?? So for the past two years that youve been on nairaland, no good thing,have come your way. The way some pple predict their success is surprising. What happens if you never made FTC then I say Ameen for you sha
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by SamMilla1(m): 5:52am On Jun 21, 2016
ever811:
if I say ur name is Linus,u won't like it..so grass don turn to concrete abi? I did not witness it,but from the pictures I saw,I can only advice u not to contest with lai Mohammed cause he has been warning femi not to take his position..

Quit going to Church and channel your energy to school.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by SamMilla1(m): 5:53am On Jun 21, 2016
amuokuko:

Quit going to Church and channel your energy to school. You will thank me when you get old.
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 21, 2016
This side of the river gets its source from the Ogun river and feeds the other side of the bridge.
Now, the side with. The source is dry and the side it's feeding is full with canoes paddling everywhere? Haba!! undecided undecided
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by MrBully: 6:12am On Jun 21, 2016
Hmm
Re: Ogun River In Kara Did Not Actually Dry Up. This Is What Happened! by MrBully: 6:12am On Jun 21, 2016
Juju, right?
Juju, right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hippo Killed In River Benue / Huge 'god Of Chaos' Asteroid Is Speeding Up, Could Hit Earth In 48 Years (Pix) / Today Is The Longest Day Of The Year And There Will Be A Solar Eclipse Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.