Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,801 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

See Nigerian Igbo Claim Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Nigerian Igbo Claim Boko Haram (536 Views)

Between Nigerian Igbo And Biafran Agitators – A Northerner’s Perspective / Dino Melaye Graduated With 3rd Class, ABU Exam Officers Claim - SaharaReporters / Dino Melaye Reacts To Claim That He Didn't Graduate From ABU Zaria By SR. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

See Nigerian Igbo Claim Boko Haram by Mille: 12:51pm On Jun 20, 2016
Stockholm, Sweden - As Eze sat in the pews at a church where he goes most mornings to pray, his phone buzzed with a new message.

His Icelandic teacher was checking in on
him, giving him support. A calm and composed man, Eze began to cry, the emotion intensifying as he continued to
read. His friends in Iceland were standing with him, the message said, they would fight for him.

Eze Okafor, 32, had been living in Iceland for the last four years, working as a cook in a local restaurant, learning the Icelandic language, building a community. "Iceland is my home now. I have contributed to the society here. Many people know me. My friends have become my family," he told Al Jazeera.

Eze fled Nigera after being targeted by Boko Haram. In 2010, he and his younger brother, Okwy, were attacked in retaliation for not joining the armed group. "They tried to recruit me, but I refused." Members of Boko Haram stormed their house in Maiduguri, Borno State, in Northeastern Nigeria. Eze was stabbed in the head and face. Okwy was killed. Lol. Eze could not go to Enugu or Anambra but took the long boat journey to Iceland.

Soon after, Eze fled Nigeria and made a long and dangerous boat journey to Europe, where in 2011 he sought asylum in Sweden. He told his story and showed his still fresh and infected wounds, including the gash over
his eye, which he feared would cost him his eyesight. He was denied asylum and made his way to Iceland.
He applied for asylum in Iceland in 2012 but was denied.
He has been working with a lawyer, Katrin Theodorsdottir, who then applied for permission for Eze to stay in Iceland on humanitarian grounds, as his case has slowly made its way through the system. Eze said in October he was given temporary residency and could work.

His case in Iceland has hinged on what time limit is relevant to his asylum request, as defined by Article 19 of the Dublin Regulation, which determines which EU member state is responsible for asylum seekers.

Re: See Nigerian Igbo Claim Boko Haram by Mille: 12:54pm On Jun 20, 2016
After many rejections, appeals and back and forths between various immigration authorities, Theodorsdottir said there was a "twist". A special immigration committee reviewing Eze's case said the time limit to send Eze back to Sweden might have expired, and advised him to go to the
immigration office and have his application for asylum processed.

Eze went to the immigration office as instructed to pick up the paperwork, and was told to wait 45 minutes, which he did.
According to Theodorsdottir, unbeknownst to him, the police officer was calling the immigration office. And then another twist. "The police said I should come to sign and all
of a sudden they took me into custody. They arrested me. I spent the night in jail," Eze recalled.

"They next morning they said they were deporting me. I said I should go and get my stuff from my house. They said no. They took me to the airport and manhandled me.

Lalasticlala

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/06/iceland-deports-boko-haram-victim-nigeria-160612104826080.html

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

EFCC To Probe Rivers State Government For Suspicious Withdrawals / Wailers Deserve To Wail. May Buhari Make Them Wail To Our Delight / Face Your Court Case, Buhari Can't Be Your Punching Bag: SGF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.