Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:37 AM

Interview And Suit Wahala - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview And Suit Wahala (5042 Views)

FAAN Shortlisted Candidates For Interview And Physical Fitness- Bothering Issues / Vio-dvla Invitation For Interview And Medical Test / Ndic Third Batch Test: Results, Interview And Related Matters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interview And Suit Wahala by ndcide(m): 4:13pm On Sep 01, 2009
hello n/landers,

please i would want to know if its compulsory to put on suit for interview . i thought suits were compulsory for bank jobs or closely related jobs. what about other sectors like energy, oil and gas etc. is this suit thing a must?

a friend was invited for an interview and i noticed that he took the suit issue as if the job depended on the suit he wore. plz n/landers enlighten me i want to know.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2009
yes u should always where a suit to an interview to create a very good first impression.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by neonet(m): 11:20pm On Sep 01, 2009
I know of a guy, he was the only one that was not putting on a suit.atlas, he was the only one that scaled thru.suit has no advantage,just dress neatly and at least put on a tie!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 9:13am On Sep 02, 2009
neonet:

I know of a guy, he was the only one that was not putting on a suit.atlas, he was the only one that scaled thru.suit has no advantage,just dress neatly and at least put on a tie!

the idea is to always try to give a very good first impression. Wearing a suit increases your chances of doing that
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Dejavu147: 1:03pm On Sep 02, 2009
Howdy ause , i happen to fall a Victim once , but cos i was able to perform very well in the interview , was not all that affected in the overal addition , i went for an Interview with Oceanic Bank through the Oceanic Securities , and i was the only one out of 4 to be interviewed then by the 3 interviewer's on that faithful day , i was scored a LOW mark on DRESSING cos i did not put on a SUIT , But God willing i was able to scale through the huddle of the interview , so i think once should try to put on SUIT during interviews cos it scores one more marks during some company's interview.

Safe
Dejavu smiley
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by ndcide(m): 9:33pm On Sep 02, 2009
@ all

thanks a lot i would have to get a suit now. since suit has its score in an interview

huum i see.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 10:15pm On Sep 02, 2009
u bet
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by posakosa(m): 1:24am On Sep 03, 2009
You should always wear a suit. First impression marrers.

The thing is that if it is only one suit you have, and you get a second interview, what will you wear ? undecided undecided
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Outstrip(f): 1:42am On Sep 03, 2009
For a man I will say yes and even in most cases for a woman
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by HarryPotter1(m): 5:19am On Sep 03, 2009
yes of cos.suits do say a lot for someone and also as other reply has said first impression matter alot.about 70% of Nigerian do wear suit for interviews despite the sector.for me i think suit is the best dress for interviews.it shows the gentleman nature in u.and more also it makes one look decent.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by loma(m): 5:44am On Sep 03, 2009
Depends on the company . I once interviewed with P&G in Nigeria wearing native outfit and cap to match and got the job among 500 other people from Ife. When I tried something similar @KPMG, that was the first issue the interviewer brought up, and despite my qualifications, I never got a second interview.

These days, I just get a suit for the interview as I am in the US, and dont want to explain why I have a parachute on.

Do what you are comfortable with but don't blame anyone for the outcome
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by joizzy1: 7:23am On Sep 03, 2009
loma:

Depends on the company . I once interviewed with P&G in Nigeria wearing native outfit and cap to match and got the job among 500 other people from Ife. When I tried something similar @KPMG, that was the first issue the interviewer brought up, and despite my qualifications, I never got a second interview.

These days, I just get a suit for the interview as I am in the US, and dont want to explain why I have a parachute on.

Do what you are comfortable with but don't blame anyone for the outcome
I FEEL U, O JARE!!! basically i think in Naija a lot of stock is put in suits. imagine i was penalised 4 my project defence 4 not wearing a suit(i hate suits, did then and still do now even tho i wear them). so unles u understand d kind of company u r going 2 and wat they mite like then by all means were anything else but look formal.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by sley4life(m): 7:27am On Sep 03, 2009
anything comes in to the front page, haba
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by izeek(m): 7:44am On Sep 03, 2009
aside that it gives you added marks,
it makes u look respected and of class.
so yes its a must do.

although after u get the job, throway am like i did.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rickie4us(m): 8:12am On Sep 03, 2009
I really feel it depends on the type of company you are being interviewed in.
In the first place, dressing well and not being overdressed is what matters most ,
Many times, people borrow suits or wear very expensive ones to impress , this sometimes works against the person because he is being perceived as a 'misfit'
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by donpaulo(m): 8:37am On Sep 03, 2009
i once went for an interview with an oil and gas coy as a field engr dressed in ma suit. cheesy
the first thing the oyimbo asked me was that, 'are you going to be wearing that on field,, pls pls pls you are not serious'! undecided
i came back the next day in ma jeans o, luckily it was courtesy of a pal that gave me the opportunity of being interviewed twice, no, one and a half times! grin
i guess it depends on the kinda job and coy too, cool
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 03, 2009
Where did this culture of suits (in hot weather) over any other dressing come from again?
From Nigerians or from the people that used them as slaves for many years?
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by SmashingM(f): 8:57am On Sep 03, 2009
It's not compulsory that you wear a suit to a job interview. What is compulsory is a corporate wear that makes you look neat, comfortable and presentable.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Akanniade(m): 9:09am On Sep 03, 2009
Depends on the outlook of the position you applied for. If it is a job you are expected to look coperate all the time then wear your suit not to offend them grin. All interviews av attended so far I never wore a suit ,not even a tie and have changed job about 3 times. Mine is a field job sha o.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by PAININASS: 9:12am On Sep 03, 2009
It is very compulsory or you are automatically fail!, We can just say you don't need suit if you are going for OKADA RIDER'S interview or CLEANER'S interview because you won't get the job if you are applying for cleaning job and put on suit!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by MyPeace(f): 9:21am On Sep 03, 2009
donpaulo:

i once went for an interview with an oil and gas coy as a field engr dressed in ma suit. cheesy
the first thing the oyimbo asked me was that, 'are you going to be wearing that on field,, pls pls pls you are not serious'! undecided
i came back the next day in ma jeans o, luckily it was courtesy of a pal that gave me the opportunity of being interviewed twice, no, one and a half times! grin
i guess it depends on the kinda job and coy too, cool

yea it depends on the industry, but apart from oil and gas, orders expect a suit.  l work in oil and gas, after the interview with my suit ;Dmy now boss told me, 'pls we are not a financial insitution wear whatever u want'

neonet:

@ poster
abeg dont mind this post, apart from oil and gas, always wear ur suit.  even oil and gas wear ur suit, first impression matters!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rickie4us(m): 10:08am On Sep 03, 2009
@ mypeace
I wonder why you are laying so much emphasis on suits and that first impression matters ,
the truth is the interviewer can almost tell if you borrowed the suit for the interview because in most cases, it is a misfit
secondly, people tend to wear very expensive suits and overdress for interviews which is also puts off the interviewer

what I can say is that , determine the occasion and dress properly for it , be neatly dressed ,
if you don't have a suit, don't borrow , .the interviewer will understand , as long as you are neatly dressed, what matters most to the interview is your ability to perform based on the answers to the questions ,
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by walelamina: 10:21am On Sep 03, 2009
person wey no get suit go killl himself, loz,,,,
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Nezan(m): 10:30am On Sep 03, 2009
Just dress neatly and responsibly with a tie, not neccesary suited up.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by bennsul(m): 10:36am On Sep 03, 2009
Uhnm, Naija, I have not read any description in any interview invite that it must be suit, I have had to change jobs thrice and in all my interviews I didnt wear a suit, not even a tie, I just presented myself in very good, clean shirt and trousers and took control of the interview, its all about how you carry yourself, what you say and the confidence you show in representing the organisation you are going into if offered a job, naija, dont look dirty, dont look rough, and be confident, in fact I sit back into my seat, smile and laugh at the interviewer's jokes and put one or two inbetween mine to create a light mood, I have never worn a suit to any interview cos i dont have one that will fit smart into my frame like my shirts and trousers, U know what, I'll probably sense it if you borrow a suit, and if I'm on the board, I wont let you in because it shows dishonesty. I have worked for two indeginous oil servicing firm and presently work for an american oil servicing coy. My guy, be yourself
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by atilla(m): 10:53am On Sep 03, 2009
When you are going for an interview wear trousers/chinos, long sleeve shirt, formal shoes and most importantly a tie.

Bankers can wear a suit to make a good impression depending on the bank they are at, I went for a zenith bank interview and they actually asked my why I wasnt wearing a suit somewhere like GTB I think they will place more emphasis on what you can do rather than what youre wearing.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 03, 2009
I think you need to be neat and very presentable for interviews.

Wearing a suit helps you look formal but it doesn't always matter as it depends on the nature of the interview.

When I was interviewed for my previous job at FCMB, I didn't wear a suit. Just a shirt and a tie. Not once during the interview did the issue of dressing come up.

The issue of dress might be tolerated for entry level interviews but it may become more important at higher levels. Let's not forget that it is also possible to be overdressed for an interview too.

Certain interviews are less formal and as such the dress code is less restrictive.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by gbolio4(m): 11:29am On Sep 03, 2009
I tire.
I no wear suit b4 i get my own job, na my skillz my employer look
Na wa oo
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by 3kay945(m): 11:49am On Sep 03, 2009
b4 all else,, be armed! well fitted suit either owned or borrow, make sure it fit., the interviewer re nt witches nd wizard. dnt mind dem jo o o
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by igboboy1(m): 12:24pm On Sep 03, 2009
in banking suit helps, matter of fact it is recommended\\

IT, engineering jobs a nice button up with tie is ok
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by slap1(m): 12:56pm On Sep 03, 2009
depends on the kind of job, i'd say. what would a prospective mortuary attendant wear to an interview. lol.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by ye2nday(f): 1:08pm On Sep 03, 2009
so you work and dont own a suit thats tooooo bad
whats your post anyway.cleaner or what? grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eko Hotels And Suites Currently Recruiting? / UBA Aptitude Test / How Much Does MSF Pay Medical Officers In Jahun Jigawa State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.