Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,624 members, 7,820,211 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Interview And Suit Wahala - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview And Suit Wahala (5048 Views)

FAAN Shortlisted Candidates For Interview And Physical Fitness- Bothering Issues / Vio-dvla Invitation For Interview And Medical Test / Ndic Third Batch Test: Results, Interview And Related Matters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by wasobia(m): 1:14pm On Sep 03, 2009
Simply appear neat and professional. Suit wont impress your interviewer anyway.
I've interviewed empty brain in 3 button well-tailored suit. Best of luck.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by smartsoft(m): 1:25pm On Sep 03, 2009
it all boils down to kinda work, in my own case i went for an interview in advertising agency hoping to work in a creative department. so i was wearing a suit and everyone was kinda laughing because creative house is a MAD house just like u see [b]DERENLE [/b]on that mad wears, infact my suit that they was to give them good impression but at the end of the day, i was pick sha but the point still remains that i don't wear suit oo i go to work on my sneakers, jeans, t-shirt, my laptop. looking like a rap artist but am an artist anyway i create mad designs, everyone in my creative department dress the way they like e.g baggie jeans with sneakers, muffler on blah blah, so creative people are always mad people. ppl who wear suit in my office are the client service guys and the MD lol.

In nutshell boils down to the kinda job and i feel comfortable on it, if am going for a PP job, i don't try to pretend oo i go with my sneakers and all that
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by naijaguy2(m): 1:28pm On Sep 03, 2009
It depends on the type of job,
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by slowie(m): 2:11pm On Sep 03, 2009
If u are new at it, please do everything to put yourself at an advantage.

If you must wear suit - either borrowed or bought - please do. If you dont have at all, then dont worry just be neat and trust God to help you.

However, suit to interview is not compulsory.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by speeddater: 2:15pm On Sep 03, 2009
Someone i know interviewed at  gtbank  in a shirt and shirt and got the job. And even now  she goes to work in shirt and trouser since she doesnt interface with customers at all and she does casuals (jeans and t.shirt or native) on Fridays.

She works in a bank and has about 4 suits in all and they are all gathering dust.

If you are competent i can assure you that no one will penalise u except if its  first generation bank, a consulting job or an interview with a law firm. (u know those people will wear suits even if they are in the Sahara)

The only thing suits are good for as far as i  am concerned is when u have no idea what to wear to work - just throw on a suit
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by MyPeace(f): 2:16pm On Sep 03, 2009
Yea, it depends on the job, but where dressing  code is silent, its always better to be on suit instead of guessing or making mistake of dressing off, better in suit!   Mustnt be an expensive suit ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Oluschenco(m): 2:42pm On Sep 03, 2009
Suit is compulsory
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by saydfact(m): 3:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
4me if a person in suit comes for an interview in an architectural firm, he's as good as the word failed, tie are not even allowed on site, but if its a big multi-national firm, where u think they might be biased about dress code, then wear it, Do doctors also wear suit for interview? lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by NANYA1887(f): 3:41pm On Sep 03, 2009
Is it absolutely compulsory to wear a suit to EVERY interview regardless of the company?, THANKFULLY,NO!
I wore a smart skirt and dressing shirt for the interview for my current job, I'm in I.T so that explains it.Found out later that the drees code is "SMART CASUAL".(Lucky me!) coolThough i think a line has to be drawn between INFORMAL and outright TACKY! grin grin grin.
Bottom Line, Look go and you'l radiate loads of self confidence needed!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by babalawo(m): 5:30pm On Sep 03, 2009
I did the interview that lead to my first job in a bank without suit and quess what I got the job!!!

I scaled through that interview as I was asked if that was my first banking related interview and was adviced to always put on a suit -my reply was that the interview was my first and "last" interview as there wont be another reason to go for another interview!

Looking back I think it was too much risk not putting on a suit well ist all part of the story-Eze goes to banking
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by mystikal(m): 5:55pm On Sep 03, 2009
you can never go wrong with a tie at least!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 03, 2009
HELLO GUYS,

I HATE THE WORD SUIT. I HAVE WORN IT 7 TIMES ONLY AND THOSE TIMES WERE DURING MY BRODAS WEDDING, IT  & PROJECT DEFENCE AND PG SEMINAR PRESENTATION.

BUT GUYS, SUIT DOES MAGIC OH! THERE WAS A WORKSHOP I ATTENDED RECENTLY WITH A FRIEND. WE WERE NOT INVITED OH! WE ONLY SAW THE BANNER AND DECIDED ATTEND.

GUYS, GUESS WHAT HAPPENED, I JUST STOOD ON MY OWN AND WHEN THE COORDINATOR OF THE WORKSHOP CAME, HE WALKED TO ME,GREETED ME AND WE SHOOK HANDS. ONLY BECAUSE I WAS PUTTING ON A SUIT, WHICH I BORROWED. UNA KNOW WETIN COME HAPPEN, THE MAN NO SEND THE GUY WEY ME AND AM GO BUT HE STOOD BY MY SIDE.

AFTER EVERY, NA SO THE GUY COME TELL ME SAY " ENGR. U KNOW SAY THE SUIT WEY U WEAR NA IM MAKE THAT MAN COME GREET U".
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by whiteroses(f): 9:40pm On Sep 03, 2009
yesh
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by GeorgeD1(m): 9:42pm On Sep 03, 2009
no, not compulsory
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by Talis(f): 11:52pm On Sep 03, 2009
To me, the nature of the job applied for and the type of company should be the guidelines on what to wear to an interview.  wink wink
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by canuck(m): 12:27am On Sep 04, 2009
It depends on the interviewer(s)/employer.

I see a few references to oil companies here so here goes - If you're being interviewed for a technical role, most of the oyinbos that'll interview you are blue collar workers, i.e. technicians with high school education. They do not want sleazy suit-wearing folks around them.

Again, the work environment and interviewer(s) matter a great deal. If in doubt, ask about the interview dress code - It's not supposed to be a 'state secret', abi?

For some jobs, the guy/gal with the best suit wins! grin
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 10:12am On Sep 04, 2009
hmm
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by VENUSS(f): 11:07am On Sep 04, 2009
Ok, 4 d females is handbag a compny 2 take wit 4 an intview or a folder. lol!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by lawrence83: 11:17am On Sep 04, 2009
A suit? not at all,
a base ball cap, a nice polo with a lot of prints on the both side, three-quarter jeans with a sag showing ya underpant, and a pair of timberland boots, and for sure the job will be yours. grin grin grin grin grin. is that the answer u need? wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by oge4real(f): 12:44pm On Sep 04, 2009
Suits are better for all interviews but if u wear a COAT, you are on your own o. grin grin grin
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 1:51pm On Sep 04, 2009
oge4real:

Suits are better for all interviews but if u wear a COAT, you are on your own o. grin grin grin

raincoat wink
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by GeorgeD1(m): 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2009
suits are not better my brother. also it depends on the job you're going for.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by katreena: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2009
i agree wit the suit thing 4 interview. it adds to the good first impression. but anoda important thing is the coy
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by GeorgeD1(m): 7:15pm On Sep 04, 2009
no the type of job. if i am applying for the job of a field engineer and i appear
in the interview all spruced up in designer suit, guess what will be on the mind
of the panel of interviewers, "this man is not ready to work in the field!" grin
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rafcrown(m): 8:57pm On Sep 04, 2009
I went for an interview and didnt wear suit in the Uk.The next man who was interviewed after me didnt wear suit.The major issues are good and neat appearance,ability to answer the questions well ,brain ,communication,and qualifications etc.
I will now be wearing suit -depending on the nature of job and environment.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by summer01: 12:43am On Sep 05, 2009
very neccessary my broda!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rafcrown(m): 3:39am On Sep 05, 2009
Babalawo -meaning a native doctor- wrote that he got his first job in the bank without wearing a suit-even if a babalawo is interviewed with a singlet on he will surely get the job because juju is not only in sport and politics,in recruitment too.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by babalawo(m): 11:18am On Sep 05, 2009
rafcrown:

Babalawo -meaning a native doctor- wrote that he got his first job in the bank without wearing a suit-even if a babalawo is interviewed with a singlet on he will surely get the job because juju is not only in sport and politics,in recruitment too.

@rafcrown well the meaning of babalawo is not a native doctor
babalawo means a consultant or better still an Oracle!!!! not neccessarily a native medicine consultant
U hear about the Oracle of Omaha is he a juju man!!!
spice to literature men!!!
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by candylips(m): 11:56am On Sep 05, 2009
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rafcrown(m): 1:10pm On Sep 05, 2009
Babalawo according to Yoruba language and from all indications is related and synomynous with GBETUTUGBETU
Modern and academic definitions not withstanding
Babalawo is a Yoruba word and we know the meaning of Baba-father and Awo is used to refer to Ifa cult generally
My point is simple a traditionalist can go for interview with superb EYONU-ISOYE-and the like
A good Christian must and may fast and pray
Ebenezer Obey -Babalawo ma pa mi Pls Babalawo dont kill me
Mi o ni Oogun Abenugongo I have no Juju
Mo ni Olorun Oba--But I have GOD/Allah
Pls can you help me for my next interview -just something on my tongue or pocket -to make interviewers sleep and shake
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rafcrown(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2009
online research on Babalawo
Babalawo is a sage or high priest, who is well versed in the rituals, the lore and the history of the Yoruba Tradition/ Religion called IFA. He has become a master in the Cabalistic and ritualistic aspects of IFA. Babalawo (Baba-ni-Awo) means "Father in the knowledge of things material and spiritual."

The Cabalistic mastery makes the Babalawo a craftsman who has acquired the fine skills of the preparation of medications (curative, calming, preventive), some of which can be explained in western scientific terms. He also utilizes the power of invocation and evocation of spiritual forces to effect the expression of phenomena. He is therefore a redeemer from the Ajogun (evil forces of the material and spiritual systems).

In many IFA verses, the client is full of praise for his and her Babalawo after the feat has been performed. The Babalawo in turn then praises IFA who then in turn sings the praises of Olodumare (the Almighty).

In order to become a Babalawo, one needs to get initiated in to IFA and one needs to study with elders in order to get well versed in IFA.

The first step is to receive the Hand of IFA which will help you connect to the Ase (power) of Orunmila (Deity of Wisdom)/ IFA.

The second step is to go through Igboodu (the sacred Grove) which is the initiation into IFA. Here one receives the Ase from IFA, and also one is being guided how to work IFA for oneself, ones family and the community.

A good Babalawo is a servant of Orunmila who helps and assist clients in attaining their Highest Destiny. He is a well respected leader who is in touch with the material and spiritual. He is never in conflict with any other tradition or religions - indeed; his help is sought in many ways as his influence extends into all phases of life. He lives for one purose only, to discover the will of Orunmila.

Moreover, he himself lives in accordance with the beliefs of IFA and his manifest reverence and meticulous observance of its ritual constitute one of the strongest arguments against the charge of general dishonesty.
Re: Interview And Suit Wahala by rafcrown(m): 1:21pm On Sep 05, 2009
babalawo

Babalawo` or `Iyanifa` (also Babaaláwo in full, and pronounced Baba-a-láwo) is a Yorübá title that denotes a Priest of Orunmila, the Yoruba god or Orisha of Wisdom operating through Ifá, the divination system. Orunmila in the Yorübá tradition knows the past, present and future. The Babalawo as a Priest of Ifa can ascertain the future and how to deal with it through communication with Orunmila. This is done by consulting Ifa through the patterns ,
Found on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babalawo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vina Recruitment And Consultancy Service / UBA Aptitude Test / Chevron Nigeria Ltd Scam. Beware!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.