Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,996 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland (3567 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / 2-Day Vigil Cost Woman Her Marriage In Delta / Top Ten Reason For Divorce In 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Hope4ever: 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2009
What is the procedure for divorce in Yoruba tradition?

What is the significance of going to the registry after a ceremony?

I need traditions 20 years ago.

How would a couple with no parents on either side have done their marriage and what does it mean if they say they did not go to the registry?
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Nobody: 1:58am On Sep 02, 2009
does divorce precede marriage?
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by biola44: 10:58am On Sep 02, 2009
dunno
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Hope4ever: 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
Come on you know what I am looking for.

I can't find the information on the web it is for a paper.

What is the difference in going to the registery vs not going?

How does one divorce properly in Yorubaland?

What if there was no bride price paid?

What were the tradtions for marriage 20 years ago vs today?
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Fhemmmy: 3:07pm On Sep 02, 2009
Is divorce different per culture and tradition/
IF you no do again, go to court and tear the certificate now.
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Hope4ever: 3:24pm On Sep 02, 2009
I have found stuff on the web about Hausa (sp) and Igbo(sp), but nothing about Yoruba.

What the significance of the registry?
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by ayomifull(f): 7:16pm On Sep 02, 2009
Well i'll help you to the best of my understanding though i cant exactly tell you how it used to be 20 years i had mine only 10 years ago.

In yoruba land a man sees a woman he is attracted to and woos her, if she is interested after a while (a period of courtship) the family of the man sends a request to the family of the woman asking for a date they can come to their house to meet the family. The woman's family sends a date (or refuse if they do not support it for whatever reason sha), the man's family (usually few of them at this stage) then goes to the woman's family on the agreed date and introduce their mission and one to another.

If there's no wahala (like we have in Nollywood where the man's father would realise he is the father of the wife to be, or the where the man realises the wife is be has been the same girl he has been having it 'good' with  grin) then a date will usually be agreed on for the normal engagement/traditional and church wedding where necessary.

Registry is not part of yoruba culture (who will waste his money to go to court in those days when the woman is only supposed to be a glorified slave that is supposed to obey and carry out her master's instructions without questioning him. And of course they don't need court in those days because divorce was almost non existence grin).

In these days however, the popular way of doing it or at least the way i had mine was: Family introduction where a date was agreed on for the wedding proper.  In most cases after the introduction the following follows:

Thursday the couple to be goes to registry with few family members (some only the 2 of them) where they sign legal document and legally from then on they are husband and wife.

Friday the guy's family comes to the babe's family with loads of guests, drummers, loads of goodies and dowry (the dowry is usually returned to the family of the guy by the family of the woman, i think they said its to say that they are not selling their child). Lots of merry making and traditional rites. . . . . its real fun.

Saturday the couple to be (religiously i mean, already couple legally), family, friends, frenemy, goes to the church and the man & the woman gets joined together as husband and wife after which everyone goes to reception venue for some nice time and party afterward. Pls note some couple combine both traditional and church wedding on Saturday, traditional early in the morning and then followed by church. .

In yoruba land there is no provision for divorce (well, in those days) once a woman is married to a man she becomes his 'property' for life. These days the procedure for divorce is like that of any other tribe. If they are legally married they go to the court to seek dissolution of the marriage but where they did not get married legally the woman packs out of the man's house. That's the much i know i don't think there's any traditional way of divorce in yorubaland.

Hope this is useful for you.
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by ayomifull(f): 7:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
Hope4ever:

How would a couple with no parents on either side have done their marriage and

In yoruba land you always have parents (chemical maybe grin) If they both have lost their parents 'ko ni buru ko ma ku enikan moni' (it cant be worst to the extent that one will be alone without at least a family member). We normally refer to our big uncles as 'father' so even if you dont have biological parent you must still have 'checmical'. 'The chemical' parents will stand as the biological parents.

Hope4ever:

what does it mean if they say they did not go to the registry?

As explained above it means they are not married legally and are not bound by legal requirement, they can divorce without involving any court because they are not recognised legally in the first place. Also one can not challenge the other in the court of law for marrying more wives/'husbands'. Also they have to legal obligation to share their properties with each other.
Re: Divorce In And Marriage In Yorubaland by Hope4ever: 9:25pm On Sep 02, 2009
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Plain And Pattern English Wear / What Language Will You Speak To Your Children And Why? / Young Sisters Harrased By Men On A Public Bus In India Fight Back.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.