Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg (28279 Views)

Naira Exchanges At Record-low, N510 A Dollar / Naira Sinks To Record Low At N420 Against Dollar / Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by JUBILEE2000: 11:25am On Jun 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It will take time to buy Dollars cheap. It is expected for the price to go up. CBN is keeping it low for now due to scarce dollars. With time Dollars will spread to the banks and then, as expected, the Price will settle below N300 at all points.

For now, you can not buy dollars at that price.

Dollar will not settle for anything below N300 for a long time to come.
A time will come when CBN can longer sustain this periodic intervention then speculators will determine the real value of the naira. This might take us back to square one if care is taken. Dont also forget that the dollar can never get to the man on the street at the interbank rate
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29pm On Jun 22, 2016
JUBILEE2000:

Dollar will not settle for anything below N300 for a long time to come.
A time will come when CBN can longer sustain this periodic intervention then speculators will determine the real value of the naira. This might take us back to square one if care is taken. Dont also forget that the dollar can never get to the man on the street at the interbank rate

A lot of analysts, before the kick off of the Policy expected the price to settle below that. That is what I am working with. They pointed that there will come a time CBN will stop intervening and let the demand and supply of the market take over the direction.

The analysts also expect the naira value to fall before it settles below N300.

That is the expected target and that is what I think will happen. Also, the price the consumers will finally buy dollars when it settles will not be much different from the Interbank rates. That is what this Policy is out to achieve. A narrow gap between the Interbank and Black Market price.
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by pgo17(m): 1:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by skypeople(f): 2:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
. Seen
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by IdJack(m): 3:12pm On Jun 22, 2016
ALL said and done; how much is dollars to naira now.
That is what a layman that has dollars want to hear....HOW MUCH IS ABOKI buying dollars. From there you will know.
But be it as it may...Where do CBN has Dollars to sell to banks, because they told us there dont have dollars.
Na wa ooo
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by trillville(m): 3:20pm On Jun 22, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
You are wrong.
Effective intervention involves tens of billions of dollars and are usually shortlived. Nigeria's total external reserves is not enough to prop up naira. Russia threw in $90 billion dollars to support the rubble and the market swallowed it. Rubble went ahead and melted against the dollar. Nigeria does not have that kind of money to fight for naira. The best bet is to let naira float freely with other currencies against US dollars and hope for the best. That is exactly what Emefiele and co. are implementing at this time. Any further explanation beyond this is just propaganda.
\

The start of the fall in oil prices coincide perfectly with an announcement that interest rates will be lifted by the US federal reserve. This occurred around June/July 2014. All other commodities such as gold and silver also fell in value.

Oil prices further declined sharply in November 2014 when OPEC announced it wasn't going to reduce production outputs.

Last December US federal reserve lifted it's interest rates for the 1st time in close to 10 years. At this same period oil hit its lowest levels of about 27 dollars.

Finally, last month US job report numbers were so bad that it is near impossible that the Federal reserve would further increase rates this year and is even more likely to reduce rates. This is a huge positive for higher prices of oil.

The value of the naira all things being equal should typically rise and fall as crude oil prices rise and fall respectively.

PS
I do not hold brief for this government neither am I an Emefiele follower. I only find it interesting that the CBN chose the very moment the US economy showed a major sign of weakness to reverse its bad policy of fixing the naira rate.
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by Davedoz(m): 3:22pm On Jun 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for the correction. The Scarcity I am referring to is Dollars released by the CBN from our reserves into the Interbank Market. As sales went on, Dollars available for sale reduced. This in turn increased the price of Dollars, pushing towards N290.

CBN intervened by bring more dollars from the reserves, making dollars available and pushing the price of dollars down, towards N285.

I will correct my post. Thanks.

I followed these thread to the last page just to read all your comments/posts. I will like to be your whatsapp friend so you can teach me all about economics and finance. In turn I will help with medical advice. That is if you want *winks*

You'll be wondering, 'why is this guy saying all these things here, doesn't he know about pm?' my brother I'm saying all these here because that PM don frustrate me before before oooo grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by ogundeleai(m): 3:27pm On Jun 22, 2016
I still don't understand this new cbn forex policy and at same time the so called naira value. Just 48hrs after new policy, I sold my dollar for 340 at Sabo and you continue hearing 285
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by InvertedHammer: 3:28pm On Jun 22, 2016
trillville:

The start of the fall in oil prices coincide perfectly with an announcement that interest rates will be lifted by the US federal reserve. This occurred around June/July 2014. All other commodities such as gold and silver also fell in value.

Oil prices further declined sharply in November 2014 when OPEC announced it wasn't going to reduce production outputs.

Last December US federal reserve lifted it's interest rates for the 1st time in close to 10 years. At this same period oil hit its lowest levels of about 27 dollars.

Finally, last month US job report numbers were so bad that it is near impossible that the Federal reserve would further increase rates this year and is even more likely to reduce rates. This is a huge positive for higher prices of oil.

The value of the naira all things being equal should typically rise and fall as crude oil prices rise and fall respectively.

PS
I do not hold brief for this government neither am I an Emefiele follower. I only find it interesting that the CBN chose the very moment the US economy showed a major sign of weakness to reverse its bad policy of fixing the naira rate.
/
You succinctly observed that US policy and data influence the strength of her currency. Every G7 country that had intervened in the currency market against US dollar ended up with a nose bleed. It is akin to trying to catch a falling knife. A rising tide lifts all boats. So naira is just tagging along.

If DXY reverses bullish, Emefiele can talk and act all he wants, naira will go down the shitter.
\
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by JUBILEE2000: 3:46pm On Jun 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

A lot of analysts, before the kick off of the Policy expected the price to settle below that. That is what I am working with. They pointed that there will come a time CBN will stop intervening and let the demand and supply of the market take over the direction.

That is the expected target and that is what I think will happen. Also, the price the consumers will finally buy dollars when it settles will not be much different from the Interbank rates. That is what this Policy is out to achieve. A narrow gap between the Interbank and Black Market price.
TheGoodJoe:

TheGoodJoe:

How narrow will this gap between the interback rate and the consumer's rate be? who regulates this gap? I have a problem with leaving the value of naira to be determined by demand and supply. The cabals will hijack this policy as usual.
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
JUBILEE2000:
[b][/b]

How narrow will this gap between the interback rate and the consumer's rate be? who regulates this gap? I have a problem with leaving the value of naira to be determined by demand and supply. The cabals will hijack this policy as usual.

Hijacking this will be difficult because it is now a banking business. The scare was in the black market but this policy is putting trading in the Banks.

As much as we talk about the narrowing of the price gap of the Interbank and Black Market, most of the large volumes of trades (Importers, Airlines etc) will take place in the Banks. No more the black market.

The sales of Dollars from our reserves was strictly for the bankers (Primary and Secondary dealers).

So how much gap should we expect? I do not see it more than a few naira because the Banks will have dollars. If the Black Market is too costly, we walk into the Banks, submit to their requirements and get the dollars we need.

The Black Market dealers have no choice but to sell at rates close to the Interbank rates.
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:06pm On Jun 22, 2016
JUBILEE2000:
[b][/b]

The regulation will be done by the Interbank Market. They will determine rates and margins. This Policy will be driven by the buying and selling of dollars. So the banks will reduce activities that hinders buying and selling.

The Interbank Market and the dealers are not buying to just sell. They are to keep the market going. That is what CBN is doing. Handing the exchange rate determination to the banks.
Re: Nigerian Cenbank Sells $100m As Naira Pulls Back From Record Low - Bloomberg by utytill(m): 5:31pm On Jun 24, 2016
How is dollar doing with naira today?All those grammars and theories or stories won't work.A dollar will hits 300 naira soon.CBN losts control of our currency and the mosquitoes economic team is confused.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flutterwave Launches Swap To Solve Nigeria’s FX Problems, Backed By The CBN / 5 Things I Have Given Up Due To The Increasing Price / Which Digital Skill Should I Learn In 2022 To Get Financial Freedom?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.