Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? (1860 Views)

Why Is Money So Important? / Name One Quality That You Absolutely Adore In Your Friends / What Do Nigerians Do For Recreation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2006
Sorry but my impression is:
before it comes to love it comes to money.
Everybody is talking about money, how to make it how to eat it.
Poor people admire the rich people in their Bollywood homes.
Young girls life on sugadaddys.
To some money is more important than God,
buying and having good things more important than to live a goodly live.

Why is that so
and wouldn´t things in Nairaland run much better
if people paid taxes instead of bribing
and care for each other iunstead of being sometimes so selfish?

Sad but true, what do you think?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by naijacutee(f): 1:21am On Nov 29, 2006
We like money so much because in most places, when we have money respect automatically follows. And we can also prove to people that we are worth something too, with money.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 1:09pm On Nov 29, 2006
Is only a person that holds money worth something
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by iice(f): 2:23pm On Nov 29, 2006
Because money buys you almost everything
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 2:26pm On Nov 29, 2006
Wallahi, I dont adore money
I adore the pursuit for excellence.

And in this western world, unfortunately, one of the measures os excellence is having $$$
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 2:42pm On Nov 29, 2006
Remember that old Beatles song:

"I don´t care to watch the money
money can´t buy me love."

OK that was then, times seem to be changing.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by iice(f): 2:43pm On Nov 29, 2006
Money might not buy you forever love (whateva that is) but it will buy you love for the moment. And like you said times are changing
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 6:41pm On Nov 29, 2006
So u think my sweet little Bini Girl just loves me because I hold some money? wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by iice(f): 5:16am On Nov 30, 2006
@Ruescho, i wouldn't know because i don't know her and i don't know what goes on in her head. I was speaking in general. It is rare to see a woman hang on to man who has no money but they are out there. But then again what is love? Some love for a minute, some for a couple of weeks, some forever. . .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by English1(f): 1:46pm On Dec 01, 2006
I think most people like money?

I don't know if all Nigerians really adore money but they sure do adore talking about it!

In the UK it is a taboo subject really, you don't discuss money, it's all a bit embarrassing and offensive. So quite a few Nigerians have offended me in the past, without meaning to of course.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Mystique(f): 5:07pm On Dec 01, 2006
Gimme N10million and i will answer the question, kiss
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 11:57am On Dec 02, 2006
English1:

I think most people like money?

I don't know if all Nigerians really adore money but they sure do adore talking about it!

In the UK it is a taboo subject really, you don't discuss money, it's all a bit embarrassing and offensive. So quite a few Nigerians have offended me in the past, without meaning to of course.

Yeah I think thats the difference.

I live in Germany. Everybody likes money here too but nobody is talking about it.

Nobody is boasting of how much they are earning and they prefer to drive small cars even though they could afford a big one.

If u make a present u remove the price tag.

So if I give a nice ring to my naija girlfriend on xmas, should I tell her how much it cost me
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Ibukun2(f): 12:06pm On Dec 02, 2006
ruescho:

So if I give a nice ring to my naija girlfriend on xmas, should I tell her how much it cost me

OF COURSE NOT!!!! It's the thought that counts, not the money!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by watever(f): 12:11pm On Dec 02, 2006
oh please! love of money isn't a nigerian thing
personally, i think its mostly the lack of it that makes nigerians talk about it dat much
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 3:23pm On Dec 02, 2006
You are thinking bery German too!

Anyway: think I buy a cheap ring, the rest of the money we send to Africa,
then everybody wil be happy and have something to boast with cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Ibukun2(f): 11:06am On Dec 06, 2006
ruescho:

You are thinking bery German too!

You can't say it like that 'cause I'm a Persian and according to our mentality we wouldn't tell somebody the price of his/her gift either. That is just degrading and you spoil the joy of the person who receives the gift. Because if the gift is not expensice enough, the person might feel inferiour and if the gift is too expensice then the person might feel guilty. Anyhow it will cause trouble to tell the person the price. Besides, as I earlier said, it's the thought that counts.

then everybody wil be happy and have something to boast with cheesy cheesy cheesy

That's also a nice idea. Buying a cheap ring does not necessarily mean you don't love her enough. If you do that because you need the rest of the money to make your peeps happy then it's totally ok in my opinion. And I'm sure they're going to be very happy wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Seun(m): 11:21am On Dec 06, 2006
Don't send the money to Africa. Keep it in your account. It won't evaporate if you don't spend it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 6:58pm On Dec 06, 2006
Seun:

Don't send the money to Africa. Keep it in your account. It won't evaporate if you don't spend it.

Sad but so true! undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 6:59pm On Dec 06, 2006
Ìbùkún:

You can't say it like that 'cause I'm a Persian and according to our mentality we wouldn't tell somebody the price of his/her gift either. That is just degrading and you spoil the joy of the person who receives the gift. Because if the gift is not expensice enough, the person might feel inferiour and if the gift is too expensice then the person might feel guilty. Anyhow it will cause trouble to tell the person the price. Besides, as I earlier said, it's the thought that counts.

100% agree!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Ibukun2(f): 12:03pm On Dec 09, 2006
[/quote]100% agree![quote]

Before you said I think very German and now you agree? Well I hope you mean it at least! smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by ruescho(m): 11:18pm On Dec 09, 2006
Ìbùkún:

Before you said I think very German and now you agree? Well I hope you mean it at least! smiley

Yeso, saying u think German does not mean critizising u.
Some people sometimes just seem to like wearing an Armani jacket with label on the sleeve and price tag!
Look at the BMW -thread. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-32207.0.html People just wanna drive this
car cos of prestige, not cos of reliability.

Secondly I like to remember Teheran wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Seun(m): 8:37am On Dec 10, 2006
The love of money is good, provided that you don't obtain the money by stealing from others or defrauding them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Adore Money So Much? by Ibukun2(f): 12:15pm On Dec 18, 2006
[/quote]Secondly I like to remember Teheran [quote]

Why? What do you mean?

(1) (Reply)

Senator Annie Okonkwo Is Giving Ab&home Scholarship To All Anambra Youth,detail / True Or False: 'Nigerian Men Love Full-figured Women / 10 Most Corrupt Police Forces In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.