Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki (1543 Views)

I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances – Dasuki / Jonathan Opens Up: I’m Being Investigated For Corruption By Buhari / Dakuku Peterside To Be Prosecuted For Murder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by Machina(m): 6:28pm On Jun 23, 2016
Former National Security Adviser (NSA) Colonel Mohammed Sambo Dasuki (rtd) has told a federal high court in Abuja that he is being punished by some persons at the highest level of power in the country for perceived grievances they hold against him while in active military service many years ago.
Dasuki who did not name any particular person said that the punishment being meted on him was unfortunate having borne out of mere vendetta.
In an emotion laden submissions while reacting to the government request for his secret trial, Dasuki who spoke through his counsel Mr. Joseph Daudu SAN told the court that he has rested his case in God for the ultimate judgment.
“It is crystal clear that the defendant (Dasuki) is being punished by the powers that be for the perceived offences committed long before… we leave them to the Almighty God for his ultimate judgment”.
Dasuki had been arraigned before three different high courts for various allegations and was granted bail but was rearrested in December last year by the Federal Government and has since been held incommunicado.
At the resumed trial today, the Federal Government had approached the court, seeking secret trial of Dasuki who is facing charges of unlawful possession of firearms, money laundering and breach of trust.
In the fresh motion argued by the prosecuting counsel, Chief Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), government prayed the court to allow witnesses give evidence behind the screen to be provided by the court.
He held that the request hinged on the fact that Dasuki as a former top security chief has large loyalists across the country who may jeopardize the trial if done in the open.
He further submitted that Dasuki has in the recent past held the highest security office in the country and has loyalists in the security circle whose loyalty has been transferred to personality and whose actions might be inimical to prosecution witnesses some of whom are still in the service.
Okpeseyin cited the case of the government witness who was involved in a serious accident, resulting in multiple fractures and injuries but however stated that in as much as he would not allude that Dasuki has a hand in the accident, it heightened the need to have the witnesses protected by the court.
He further submitted that in the highest military office where Dasuki served last, loyalty was the first, second and the last rule and because of the peculiar nature of loyalty some persons have for him within the military and beyond, those to give evidence in the trial were at one time or the other, staff of the defendant.
He stressed that since the witnesses are those of the court whose primary duty was to assist the court arrive at a just conclusion, the issue of security must be viewed with a serious concern.
He therefore urged Justice Adeniyi Ademola to screen the witnesses from the public in the interest of justice, and to protect them, their families and career.
But Counsel to Dasuki, Joseph Daudu (SAN), vehemently opposed the request for secret trial of Dasuki.
His argument was that it will breach the principle of fair trial.
He added that contrary to the position of the government, Dasuki cannot be a threat to the witnesses as he has been in the custody of the federal government since December last year.
Daudu argued that open trial is the minimum requirement in a criminal trial and as such, any attempt to opt for a secret trial in the instant case, which was not a capital offense will run contrary to Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution on fail trial.
The Defence counsel therefore asked the court to discountenance the claim made by the prosecution on the issue of loyalty in the military circle, stressing that such claim was a mere speculation and not backed up by facts.
On the accident of the witness, Daudu told the court that the accident would not have been caused by Dasuki, who has been in the government custody for almost a year.
He said that the alleged accident has no bearing with the request for secret trial.
He therefore urged the court to dismiss the application for secret trial as such will trample on the rights of the defendant to fair trial.
Justice Ademola after taking argument from both parties fixed ruling and continuation of trial for September 13, 14 and 15.

https://prnigeria.com/2016/06/dasuki-explodes-im-prosecuted-old-grievances-2/
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by rummeh: 6:30pm On Jun 23, 2016
TOO MANY words again.. Abeg help me out.. Summarize for me
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by alizma: 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2016
hope they ve not been wasting my tax on feeding that man? I was happy when he said he was not going to eat the other time and I hope he hasn't changed his mind on that.
shey na only his counsel de speak in an emotion laden? call me when Dasuki join him in the emotion laden lyric. Ole, alakoba.

3 Likes

Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by yarimo(m): 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2016
Nonsense just tell the people you give our ARMS money to return it that is all.

1 Like

Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by SMARTKOSSY: 6:50pm On Jun 23, 2016
yarimo:
Nonsense just tell the people you give our ARMS money to return it that is all.
As simple as that
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2016
Whether its old grievances or new grievances, the fact is you stole our money and you're being prosecuted so deal with it angry
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by youngeagle(m): 7:26pm On Jun 23, 2016
If you are innocent you will be vindicated,people makes mistakes but to admit the mistakes is always difficult....I'm yet to see any advantage about this anti corruption campaign
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by blenko: 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2016
The comments here on NL points to the fact that youths of today cannot lead this country. Let the old men hold on to power.
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 23, 2016
“It is crystal clear that the defendant (Dasuki) is being punished by the powers that be for the perceived offences committed long before… we leave them to the Almighty God for his ultimate judgment”.

Just because it's old doesn't make it obsolete
You also did not remember our Almighty God when you were embezzling nigerian army's fund and still insulting them simultaneously for incompetence.
Just Enjoy your persecution my good lad
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by sarrki(m): 8:42pm On Jun 23, 2016
This guy head need factory reset
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by Tochex101(m): 9:07pm On Jun 23, 2016
We all saw this coming oga, but it won't work. You stole money and indirectly committed murder. Your lucky if you don't hang. Yeye dey smell......
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by jmichlins(m): 10:43pm On Jun 23, 2016
Ok it is no longer witch hunting but old scores? Who knows what it will be tomorrow
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by Aaronzy: 1:16am On Jun 24, 2016
Because dasuki is an hausa man evrybdy wnt him to be prosecuted......even wailers are happy!
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by okolichibuzor(m): 10:30pm On Jun 25, 2016
Dasuki, don't u kwn De slogan of Fulani's that old sins can't pass away. also no sin can be forgiven... pls carry ur cross is a question of time... u will bounce back.
Re: I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances- Dasuki by chernest2002: 11:10pm On Jun 25, 2016
Is nemesis, if you have not betrayed oga Jonathan by now you will not be in this mess.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Fayose In Trouble As Anti-fayose Protest Rocks Ekiti [photos] / Something Worse Than Boko Haram Will Spring Up From The North Very Soon - Prophe / OMG! 12-year-old Boy Is Set To Marry His 11-year-old Cousin (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.