Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. (1801 Views)

How To Pass OAU Post Utme: A Guide For Aspirants / Unizik Announces Post UME Dates For Aspirants ..( Photos) / Imsu Will Commence Screening Registration for Aspirants On Monday. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by Edroom: 11:41pm On Jun 23, 2016
The news that post UME has been cancelled is not a new thing. Two weeks ago, Former Executive secretary, National Universities Commission NUC, Professor Peter Okebukola said that Nigeria universities deviated from the initial agreement NUC had with Vice Chancellors in 2004 when it introduced post UME to screen candidates on oral interviews and essay written.

Students have been asking many questions, what will be our fate gaining admission? I scored 199 in JAMB, will that gain me admission? How should we go on with the new system? These are the questions I see aspirants ask. I want you to take every aspects of this article serious, any skipping might make you miss some vital information.

Let me quickly tell you the advantages of this new system.

1. It will creates enough admission space: you may be wondering how this is possible but believe me it's true. Some students loose admission not because they are not brilliant, some of these students have average marks for gaining admission but since the university system have slot for some of the Professors and lectures children, some student could not gain admission.

2. It will reduce Cost: the high price of exam forms in Nigerian universities these days is alarming. Some students could not afford these forms, this led to the end of their academics.

Since post UME has been scrapped, students will only pay for JAMB form . They can use the remaining money for lesson.

3. It will reduce load of exams : Imagine students writing about four post UME exams all in the name of admission . The stress will reduce.

4. It will reduce accidents: students have to travel from different states to write their examination and many times they are involved in accident.

These are some disadvantages:

1. Sentimental attitude of JAMB: let me explain this, it has been noticed through survey and analysis that some centers pass more than the other. For example someone who write his\her exam in a Federal University will be well invigilated than someone in a village, thereby making JAMB confide in their result.

If the system will have to be implemented, JAMB most show no favoritism.

2. High rate of Exam Malpractices: it is only in Nigeria that a student will score 300 above in JAMB and fail to score 200 in post UME. This is due to exam malpractice in some centers, some parents pay for expo, so that their children could pass.

Without neglect the essence of this article, let me quickly give you highlight of what some Universities and Polythenics will be using instead of post UME:

Minister for Education, Mr Adamu Adamu, said that Federal Government did not want any exam called post UME but should further their screening in different ways.

He said that they should:

1. ensure that admission seekers attend mininmum cognitive competence in the relevant subjects in the discipline.

2. To test their competent in written and oral English, critical thinking and ability to present ideas in logical sequences, benefitting of undergraduates in Africa, most expansive and well regarded university.

These are the things aspirants should know this year:

1. Ability to speak: one of the test schools will embark on this year is oral test. They want to know whether you can speak well or not. Read books e.g novels , write essays, letters. articles to increase your vocabulary.

2. Aim of choosing your course: Some students don't even think before applying for some courses, they choose because of name, peer pressure etc. You must have good reason for choosing that course. school like Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta will ask students to write essay stating why they choose the course they want to study.

3. Be ready for brain thinker exams: schools will test your brain, they want to know how you are sound , and whether you are mature or not.

4. Dress Well: some schools will have to screen their aspirant through physical appearance, in other not to encourage cultism and other evil acts in their institution.

Dress well, you will be address the way you present yourself.

5. Have brilliant credentials: there will be competition, since students admission will be based on JAMB and WAEC, you need to have good mark in your JAMB and WAEC. This is possible if you study hard. If your result is released and you realize that you score low, I will advice you to go for lower courses, if you can't wait for another year.

6. Know how to pray: there is nothing you can do without God, acknowledge him and he will make your way prosperous.

Latest news about admission this year

1. University of Benin post UME schedule for June 27 and July 9, a computer based exam.. It may be cancelled due to Federal Government order.

2. ABU has conducted their post UME .

3. Polytechnics will start using UTME and WAEC only e.g MAPOLY.

4. FUNAAB says the school panel will have to sit to choose the best method. Aspirant should prepare for Essay writing.

5. Achievers will use screening with JAMB and WAEC

6. Ekiti University might do a mini exam.

7. Uni Ibadan Post UME is out.

8. OAU screening date is out but no writing exam.

Stay connected and read your books. I wish you success.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by druxy(m): 10:56am On Jun 24, 2016
huunnn!!!..when did Abu and Ui wrote putme..

1 Like

Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by Abraham4christ(m): 4:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
What are the main thing to study..for e.g do u expect a medicine student to study (crk)
Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by iykedonly1(m): 5:45pm On Jun 24, 2016
may God help us!.
Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by Edroom: 9:21pm On Jun 24, 2016
Abraham4christ:
What are the main thing to study..for e.g do u expect a medicine student to study (crk)
choose your course study well
Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by Abraham4christ(m): 9:33pm On Jun 24, 2016
Edroom:
choose your course study well
What about this general knowledge am hearing about.
Re: A Must Read For Aspirants Before Screening This Year. by Edroom: 6:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
Abraham4christ:

What about this general knowledge am hearing about.
that should be in secondary school not higher institution.

(1) (Reply)

24 Facts I Bet You Don't Know / Nigerian Maritime Cadets Cry Out / 2017 WAEC May / June Registration Form – Guidelines , Price & Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.