Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities (5097 Views)

University Of Ibadan Wins Moot Competition / University Of Ibadan 2014/15 Admission Process.... / UNIZIK Wins Geo-sciences Competition Among African Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2009
Hmmm. Top 20 universities in Africa are all South African and Egyptian but not one university from those particular countries participated. Worse of all, there are less than ten countries(Which there universities are not among the top 50 universities in Africa) that participated in this competition but the competition organizers call it an 'African' competition, undecided
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by trekkie: 4:10am On Sep 09, 2009
yoruba:

Hmmm. Top 20 universities in Africa are all South African and Egyptian but not one university from those particular countries participated. Worse of all, there are less than ten countries(Which there universities are not among the top 50 universities in Africa) that participated in this competition but the competition organizers call it an 'African' competition, undecided

smiley killjoy!
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by Remii(m): 4:20am On Sep 09, 2009
yoruba:

Thanks for the analysis, I forgot that all the girls in the world participate in the Miss World and everyone that has legs competed in Olympics for winner to be valid, lol,

Congrats once more UI, the best among the called.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by trekkie: 4:23am On Sep 09, 2009
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by U1(m): 9:19am On Sep 09, 2009
Remii:

Thanks for the analysis, I forgot that all the girls in the world participate in the Miss World and everyone that has legs competed in Olympics for winner to be valid, lol,

Congrats once more UI, the best among the called.

A good response to a hater. wink
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by superstar1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ Yoruba

You are a stupid olodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your demented brain info ---- the univeristies emerged from national and regional qualifier!!!!!!!!!!!mention the name of ur school, if u ever attended any. Even if only 5 schools partcipated, it was called African Unis Competition and the winner will be called winner of African Universities Competition, if u dont like it, write to ZAIN and keep demonstrating u r a no-brainer-----------Olodo Oshi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 8:05am On Sep 10, 2009
Sorry if had burst your bubble, but you can complain all you want cause I was just merely telling the truth, besides who cares about that competition if there is only less than 10 African countries(In a continent that has about 53 countries) I was just questioning the credibility of the competition and I got the answer from superstar1, but if you wanna throw a party go ahead nobody is stopping you and for interests sake I attend the University of Rhodes go look it up soon it will overtake UCT to be the best university in Africa.
superstar1:

@ Yoruba

You are a stupid olodo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your demented brain info ---- the univeristies emerged from national and regional qualifier!!!!!!!!!!!mention the name of your school, if u ever attended any. Even if only 5 schools partcipated, it was called African Unis Competition and the winner will be called winner of African Universities Competition, if u dont like it, write to ZAIN and keep demonstrating u r a no-brainer-----------Olodo Oshi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading from this comment, Im highly not interested in arguing with idiots I think there is better things to do in life than that.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by U1(m): 12:03pm On Sep 15, 2009
Sorry if had burst your bubble, but you can complain all you want cause I was just merely telling the truth, besides who cares about that competition if there is only less than 10 African countries(In a continent that has about 53 countries) I was just questioning the credibility of the competition and I got the answer from superstar1, but if you wanna throw a party go ahead nobody is stopping you and for interests sake I attend the University of Rhodes go look it up soon it will overtake UCT to be the best university in Africa.

Though this response is belated, I think I still have to mention it since you are not being realistic here and accept the champion.
Have you ever thought of the fact that the show was in English? And how many countries in Africa are anglo-phone, if I may ask you? Though I didn't watch the show 100%, I watched only one edition, and I'm figuring that for all the anglophone countries, their must have been some kind of qualifier before the final 10 countries were chosen. Apparently, you didn't seem to see it that way.
Since you are so proud to be attending the University of Rhodes, which to you is better than the University of Ibadan, why is that your school not represented? Stop complaining and stand up for the champion! tongue grin
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 12:42pm On Sep 15, 2009
Have you ever thought of the fact that the show was in English? And how many countries in Africa are anglo-phone, if I may ask you? Though I didn't watch the show 100%, I watched only one edition, and I'm figuring that for all the anglophone countries, their must have been some kind of qualifier before the final 10 countries were chosen.
That's cause there was no Southern African universities in that competition. "Anglophone countries" South Africa, Botswana, Namibia(Not even Egypt) all have respected universities. And none of those countries universities got an invite to participate not even through the 'qualifiers' I 100% assure you.
Since you are so proud to be attending the University of Rhodes, which to you is better than the University of Ibadan, why is that your school not represented? Stop complaining and stand up for the champion!
Now im not even gonna try to compare University of Rhodes and University of Ibadan, but I just checked the rankings on the web for top universities in Africa and I found University of Ibadan sitting way below at no. 81(top 9000 in the world) and University of Rhodes at no. 5(top 1000 in the world) thats a huge gap.
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa
And the obvious fact is that South Africa has the best universities in Africa by a long mile that's why they never got an invite grin grin grin
The more I think about it, the more I get to think that this competition was just a joke. grin grin grin grin
but as I said if you wanna throw a party go ahead, see who cares(yet alone joining,  grin)
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2009
I just gone through the competition website and I saw that it was for countries that needed development in there universities. The countries that were eligible to participated are:
Ghana
Kenya
Malawi
Nigeria
Sierra Leone
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia
Meaning that this was some charity show aimed for the underdeveloped universities in Africa. So congratulations University of Ibadan for winning some charity event. In fact, my university might even donate some money to that university so that people like superstar1 get properly educated.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by Dclique(m): 4:41pm On Sep 15, 2009
Lmao,
You must be joking.
Charity?.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by Dclique(m): 4:46pm On Sep 15, 2009
I don't want to believe that.

Nigeria may have problems in our education now but our universities are one of the best in africa today especially U.I the university that won it.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by deor03(m): 4:52pm On Sep 15, 2009
The SAD part of the story is that these brilliant guys are at Home WAITING for ASUU and Government to settle their WAR.

Nigeria is so good at wasting resources, be it, Natural and Human
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by U1(m): 10:42am On Sep 16, 2009
Now im not even gonna try to compare University of Rhodes and University of Ibadan, but I just checked the rankings on the web for top universities in Africa and I found University of Ibadan sitting way below at no. 81(top 9000 in the world) and University of Rhodes at no. 5(top 1000 in the world) thats a huge gap.
http://www.webometrics.info/top100_continent.asp?cont=africa
And the obvious fact is that South Africa has the best universities in Africa by a long mile that's why they never got an invite Grin Grin Grin

One thing you need to take note of is that what put University of Rhodes in whatever place they find themselves on the said ranking is just the facilities they have and maybe good teachers too. I tell you if most of you guys can come to the University of Ibadan, or you happen to be studying under similar condition, they you will know that you need to stand up for the champion. tongue cheesy

The University of Rhodes is principally in the position it is because of the two factors mentioned above aside that the University of Ibadan is way ahead of it. Stop complaining and just accept, it doesn't mean students over there are more brilliant than those in UI, if those guys on the show has the resources they would probably be in the best university on that ranking. lipsrsealed cool
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 10:55am On Sep 16, 2009
@U1
I'm beginning to lose respect of your intelligence because you hardly even checked the methodology in which Webometrics use to come to there conclusion but yet you comment.
FACT University of Ibadan is light years behind University of Rhodes Ive proved it.
aside that the University of Ibadan is way ahead of it
Prove it, this can only remain an opinion until you use facts to justify your point.
-by winning some dodgy competition for underdeveloped countries?
Besides, competitions doesn't say much for comparing quality of education between universities.
I assume this is an 'academic' argument so you can only prove your point by using facts.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 11:03am On Sep 16, 2009
There is a reason why University of Cape Town is the best university in Africa aside from the facilities and teachers they have, do your research and do not presume things.
University of Ibadan is probably the best underdeveloped university in Africa as for the best in Africa, they are far from achieving that goal.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by slimes(m): 10:00pm On Sep 16, 2009
I'm happy that we used our knowledge for something other than corruption.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by U1(m): 12:17pm On Sep 17, 2009
@U1
I'm beginning to lose respect of your intelligence because you hardly even checked the methodology in which Webometrics use to come to there conclusion but yet you comment.

I can see that you are beginning to get insulting on a trivial issue as this, in that case I'll just leave you to whatever opinion you may have. Besides, it's a democracy. cool cool
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by yoruba: 12:28pm On Sep 17, 2009
Besides, it's a democracy.

Agreed, in fact a clever response grin grin grin grin grin
Didnt mean to insult but thats how I feel.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by ayobase(m): 1:35pm On Sep 25, 2009
Nigeria Students are brained.
Our going to school is to fulfill
any unrighteousness.

If our useless government even scaps off Education
in Nigeria, we are surely gonna make it no matter what.

I see potentials being unleashed.

Notwithstanding, the government should call of this DAMN strike!

Nigeria Is Blessed.
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by unclesamtech(m): 7:26am On Sep 26, 2009
congrats to U.I.

The premier University,Ibadan, Nigeria
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 27, 2009
Ui has not only done nigeria proud but proved that yoruba tribe is worth it anywhere in the world.Full of brain,these are d legacies which awolowo achieved for his ethnic & we wil always remember him for that, Up ui
Re: University Of Ibadan Wins Zain Competition For African Universities by Remii(m): 8:28am On Sep 27, 2009
Are you sure all the participants, all their lecturers and all those who contributed to their success are Yoruba, stop being petty, no doubt, Papa Awo did great for us, the Yoruba nation, but the UI was established in 1948 even before he formed Action Group and Free Education program.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASU 2012/13 Post UTME Test Results Released / Uniport Hostel List / Just Got Admitted To The Uk For Msc, Please What Are The Job Opportunities For ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.