Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,604 members, 7,823,624 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:35 PM

British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today (1593 Views)

British Muslim Teacher Denied Entry To US On School Trip / The British Are Frantically Googling Wat The E.U Is / The British Are Frantically Googling What The E.U. Is, Hours After Voting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by toptop: 3:36am On Jun 25, 2016
The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it By Brian Fung • • June 24 at 9 :55 AM  The whole world is reeling after a milestone referendum in Britain to leave the European Union . And although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory , it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for. Awakening to a stock market plunge and a precipitous decline in the value of the pound that Britain hasn' t seen in more than 30 years, voters now face a series of economic shocks that analysts say will only worsen before they improve . The consequences of the leave vote will be felt worldwide , even here in the United States , and some British voters say they now regret casting a ballot in favor of Brexit . [ No , Brexit isn ’t a good sign for Trump ] " Even though I voted to leave , this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me , " one woman told the news channel ITV News . " If I ' d had the opportunity to vote again , it would be to stay . " [ The critical fact Trump forgot in his viral speech on Brexit ] That confusion over what Brexit might mean for the country ' s economy appears to have been reflected across the United Kingdom on Thursday . Google reported sharp upticks in searches not only related to the ballot measure but also about basic questions concerning the implications of the vote. At about 1 a . m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed , Google reported that searches for "what happens if we leave the EU" had more than tripled . The run - up to the vote was marked by a bitterly divided campaign , one that was as much about immigration fears as it was about the global economy . [ Live updates : Brexit ] But despite the all- out attempts by either side to court voters , Britons were not only mystified by what would happen if they left the E. U. — many seemed not to even know what the European Union is . What is the E. U. ? To be fair , that question will now take on a much deeper significance than perhaps Google ' s users realized when they typed that into their browsers .
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by toptop: 3:37am On Jun 25, 2016
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Fairytales: 3:44am On Jun 25, 2016
Funny
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by SuperSuave(m): 3:48am On Jun 25, 2016
Let's just wait and see how things will unfold
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by nobilis: 3:50am On Jun 25, 2016
And here I was, thinking that it is only blacks that are dumb.

How can someone be making a landmark decision and yet not know the implications of that decision even after many months and weeks of prepping the country for the referendum?

This is the newest height of stupidity.

6 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Agimor(m): 4:02am On Jun 25, 2016
Like the saying goes ignorant is not an excuse. So they were oblivious of what they voting against funny Brits. Maybe this question should be directed to Ipod.

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by seunlayi(m): 4:04am On Jun 25, 2016
Hope they have not been scammed into voting wrongly

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by princefunmmy(m): 4:11am On Jun 25, 2016
Dem don enter one chance too, Dem go vote change... Hehehe
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Sweetlemon(f): 4:12am On Jun 25, 2016
This is the result of voting out of hate.
My SS and SE brothers need to take a cue here. Most are just joining to shout "let's leave the zoo" "the zoo must fall" without really realizing the implications of doing so because they're only fed with hatred and not facts.

This is what happens when you leave a country or entity just because of Xenophobia without a clean clear plan ahead.

The pound sterling just took a steep fall and experts are saying this is just the beginning.

6 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by hmuhammad(m): 4:21am On Jun 25, 2016
Had I know, they should deal with it.
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Kexorcist(m): 4:29am On Jun 25, 2016
Extremely
Uninformed
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 4:36am On Jun 25, 2016
Hmmm. Dis is serious magana
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by queenoflafia(f): 4:45am On Jun 25, 2016
One Nigeria

1 Like

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Emancipation: 4:47am On Jun 25, 2016
Sweetlemon:
My SS and SE brothers need to take a cue here. Most are just joining to shout "let's leave the zoo" "the zoo must fall" without really realizing the implications of doing so because they're only fed with hatred and not facts.

This is what happens when you leave a country or entity just because of Xenophobia without a clean clear plan ahead.

The pound sterling just took a steep fall and experts are saying this is just the beginning.

So you want us to stay and continue to be 5th class citizens
Stay so you can continue to use our resources to develop your region
Stay so that we can feed crumbs with you from your fulani masters
Stay so that herdsmen can continue slaughter me and my people like goats
Stay so I can continue to depend on your ports for economic survival

There is a reason that Nigerians and their government result to violence instead of intellectual debate when the issue of referendum is brought up. Look how many innocent human beings were slaughtered on May 30th in the name of keep Nigeria one.

5 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 4:50am On Jun 25, 2016
[s]
Emancipation:

So you want us to stay and continue to be 5th class citizens
Stay so you can continue to use our resources to develop your region
Stay so that we can feed crumbs with you from your fulani masters
Stay so that herdsmen can continue slaughter me and my people like goats
Stay so I can continue to depend on your ports for economic survival

There is a reason that Nigerians and their government result to violence instead of intellectual debate when the issue of referendum is brought up. Look how many innocent human being were slaughtered on May 30th in the name of keep Nigeria one.
[/s]

Biafra is dead and buried sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Finn081(f): 4:55am On Jun 25, 2016
See as I dey laugh them grin
They don't know the implications of leaving the EU yet they vote

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by mysteriousman(m): 4:57am On Jun 25, 2016
I had this feeling, this actions seems to undermine the British monarchy which they all serve to protect
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Emancipation: 5:00am On Jun 25, 2016
irunoobo:
[/s]

[s]

Biafra is dead and buried
sad

Chai...See mouth action. Is this the best you got.

3 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by dustmalik: 5:03am On Jun 25, 2016
Even before I read this, I had envisaged this was going to be the case. Although the Brits are largely educated and enlightened, 95% of those who voted to leave didn't and still don't understand the likely implications of doing so. They just went along with the hype at that moment.

Humans, naturally, want change, from time to time. So when they saw an opportunity for change, they just went along with it, without fully grasping what they were getting themselves into.

1 Like

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 5:20am On Jun 25, 2016

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by doofanc: 5:21am On Jun 25, 2016
It's just a brief knee jerk reaction.
the media is just exaggerating the impact.

3 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by ironheart(m): 5:26am On Jun 25, 2016
Same way Britains are shocked by their ignorant vote, so will some Nigerians be shocked when they succeed on breaking the country
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 25, 2016
Sweetlemon:

Na wa for you ooh. How did you spin this into SE and SS it shows how deep your hatred for those regions are.
Your are guilty of the hatred you accussed others of.

To show you how smart you are; the call for a soverign state aka Biafra is different for the call to leave an economic union. Maybe you should draw parallel with Switzerland, Norway on one hand and Britain on the other.

Please this is not about Nigeria it is about the people of Britain it will do you good if you stick to the what you know

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 5:36am On Jun 25, 2016
ironheart:
Same way Britains are shocked by their ignorant vote, so will some Nigerians be shocked when they succeed on breaking the country

How is Britain leaving an economic block same thing as a call for Nigeria break up?

Please elighten me by listing what the regions agitating for the breakup of Nigeria are gaining presently and what they stand to loss if they leave?
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 5:44am On Jun 25, 2016
That is what happens when you leap before you look.
They should have considered all the variables and keenly followed the debates on BBC and CNN like we did even though we were not directly involved in the voting process.
Now, their uninformed decision has setup an economic tsunami in the world's financial circle with the loss of 100 trillion dollars just on day one of this blunder.
Just hope our already precarious situation would not be worsened by this.
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by IVORY2009(m): 6:01am On Jun 25, 2016
irunoobo:
[s]

[/s]

Bros how far na? grin
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by Nobody: 6:23am On Jun 25, 2016
This is why i hate the right wing politicians like nigel farage and trump
The preach hate and racism in a sophisticated way, and now they have caused the british economy to crumble.
I never knew the brits where so oblivious about what it meant to leave the EU. I however cant wait for trump to be elected president.
I feel so bad for the americans, the way their economy will crumble has never been seen before, even the great depression will be a walk in the park compared to what they will face.

2 Likes

Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by thecrush: 7:07am On Jun 25, 2016
Sweetlemon:

#sigh
My sister... i think u shd do some more research into why the Brits vote for an exit and the benefits for them. Its not hate my dear.

The SS and SE wanting an exit is not hate please.
Don't get it all wrong.

It really really really hurts me to the bones when pple come on NL and mention biafra, igbos, ipob, SS, SE in a post that has nothing to do with it.

Its really painful and that alone is what will lead this clamour into hatred.

Get some facts, reflect, ask the elderly questions before concluding.

I am a proud igbo youth... i do not hate, i do not support a violent movement. All i want is justice.
I want one Nigeria.
irunoobo:
[s][/s]
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by thecrush: 7:12am On Jun 25, 2016
Finn081:
See as I dey laugh them grin

They don't know the implications of leaving the EU yet they vote
Please what are the implications?
I want to know. I'm very sure they were not that dumb
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by thecrush: 7:16am On Jun 25, 2016
Calculus25:
Firstly,I think any group of community who desires independence from any sort of bondage should be granted independence . I am pro freedom and independence . I think Scotland should be granted autonomy and independence . I think Biafra should be granted to igbos only. I Support autonomy and independence for any group who desires .
The English people (not immigrants ) do not want to be a part of EU .they want to live their lives in peace .why do you have a problem with that? Why not go and build your own community and then open the borders for the entire world to Invade. The English people (not immigrants) feel threatened and want to preserve their identity and heritage. Poland and Romania etc should got develop their own countries.

European Union was only formed in the 90s .Before that ,the British was progressing. After EU,They'll still go on. The UK will not be an underdeveloped third world country ,that's for sure.
The poorer Europeans countries are taking advantage of the wealthier European nations . The EU only favours those poor European countries.
every group of people have the right to protect their land .
you Nigerian born immigrants do not understand what it means to protect one's land,and that's why Nigeria is such a poo hole with porous borders which breeds child trafficking ,illegal immigration from Niger,Cameroon,Benin, and Chad.
. In the united states ,I want Donald Trump to win and suppress radical Islam and Mexican illegals . Pull out all of our troops from the middle east and let's just mind our business and allow them kill themselves. Do not send any aid or intervene in any conflict,just allow them kill each other .
Only immigrants who have no ancestral bond or were born and raised in these developed nation favour mass illegals coming to destroy the country. If the borders are porous then the united states will be a third world country and open to invasion.
God will bless you abundantly.
Some pple don't know what this is all about. They think the Brits don't know what they've done. una think sey na APC and PDP?
I know the UK well... its good for them
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by thecrush: 7:19am On Jun 25, 2016
ironheart:

I definitely don't believe this press news....
The Brits have a sound knowledge of what this is abou. Even kids
Re: British Voters Have Been Googling What EU Stands For Today by ironheart(m): 7:23am On Jun 25, 2016
thecrush:

I definitely don't believe this press news....
The Brits have a sound knowledge of what this is abou. Even kids
abi my brother

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Qatar Funds Terrorism-TRUMP. / The Pentagon: Facts And History / LIVE Election Results: Uganda Decides 2021 Bobi Wine Is Leading With 75%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.