Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,960 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name (99139 Views)

What Is The English Name For "Kpomor"? / Top 4 Popular Nigerian Fruits You Don’t Know The English Name For / Four Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Ofin11(m): 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2016
noted
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by mmsen: 5:10pm On Jun 25, 2016
Why do Nigerians need to call Nigerian fruit by English names?

If you know the native fruits by their native names then that is fine.

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Agromuda(m): 5:11pm On Jun 25, 2016
Black velvet tamarind na "Awin" in yoruba
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by LAUWALI222(m): 5:13pm On Jun 25, 2016
respect80:
Isn't that date fruit
DATE PALM
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
5. Guess the English name grin

Dates

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by glossy6(f): 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

4. African Star Apple
Try searching for African star apple on Google and watch the search engine struggle to come up with results. But search for “Agbalumo” and watch Google turn to superstar with numerous results. This is because Nigerians only know this fruit as Agbalumo, not as the African Star Apple.

Soure:
http://omgvoice.com/lifestyle/4-fruits-nigerians-dont-know-english-names/

Udara

7 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by emerged01(m): 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:

Mohammed fruitgrin

Almond

2 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by RZArecta(m): 5:18pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
Date

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

3. Black Velvet Tamarind
To undertake a fruitless (in both senses) market search, you only have to keep asking for “black velvet tamarind”. If you’re interested in enjoying the sweet-tart goodness of this fruit, please forget your “shakara” and call it “lickie lickie” like everyone else.

We call this one "icheku", "nchelekwu", or "chelekwu" here in the east

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:

Date

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:

Almond
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 25, 2016
emerged01:

Mohammed fruitgrin

Almond

Lol grin grin

I love this country. But tribalism is high.
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 25, 2016
Tiskified:

I saw what you did there. Love me a good pun...
Hello, I sent you a pm.
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by dauntless15(m): 5:25pm On Jun 25, 2016
Op why generalizing i know the names of this fruits even before i was born, no be everybody be dullard, if you attend a good primary school you will start spelling from primary one or two.
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by phreakabit(m): 5:25pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

4. African Star Apple
Try searching for African star apple on Google and watch the search engine struggle to come up with results. But search for “Agbalumo” and watch Google turn to superstar with numerous results. This is because Nigerians only know this fruit as Agbalumo, not as the African Star Apple.

Soure:

Nothing like star for here! Is it from a galaxy ni?. .. Abi you no hear Sugarboy music mizic?
The thing name na Agbalumo! angry

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jun 25, 2016
iyblaq:
African star Apple is called Udarri in Efik, Cross River and Akwa Ibom

Really? It is called Udara in Igbo nation and Udala in Anambra.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 25, 2016
Before I forget. Serious thank you to the OP. I learnt some valuable lessons in this post
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Raypawer(m): 5:30pm On Jun 25, 2016
This fruit is called udara

sugardad1:

4. African Star Apple

Soure:

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by professore(m): 5:32pm On Jun 25, 2016
there was a similar thread,nice anyway.
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by notoriousbabe: 5:35pm On Jun 25, 2016
druxy:
the 2nd pic is "imumu" in yoruba
Imumu as in imu oyan grin
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by gebest: 5:36pm On Jun 25, 2016
sugardad1:

2. Tiger Nuts
The name “Tiger nut” is yet to stick to this sweet root from Northern Nigeria. Tiger nut is called its traditional name in various parts of the country; Ofio in the Southwest, Aki Hausa in the Southeast and Aya in the North.
edo is called lilli
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by ngoben(f): 5:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
date.....am right baa

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
date

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
Shey una see that Tiger nut or "ofio" or "imumu" ehn, it's a very potent aphrodisiac and also one of the key components used by the Hausas to make a concoction that keeps the deek erect for as long as you want.
If you hear say Hausa man dey fvck marathon, na imumu aya and dabino he don take.
#speaking from experience

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 25, 2016
sapiosexual1:
Shey una see that Tiger nut or "ofio" or "imumu" ehn, it's a very potent aphrodisiac and also one of the key components used by the Hausas to make a concoction that keeps the deek erect for as long as you want.
If you hear say Hausa man dey fvck marathon, na imumu aya and dabino he don take.
#speaking from experience
big fat lie
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 25, 2016
theEYe21:
date

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by gbishman: 5:41pm On Jun 25, 2016
What puzzles me is why do we have to accept the name ascribed by westerners to fruits grown for thousand of years in Africa. Before they arrived here these fruits had names so why not accept the names orinally called them.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Topestbilly(m): 5:43pm On Jun 25, 2016
ONE FRUIT NIGERIANS DON'T KNOW THE YORUBA NAME.

POMEGRANATE - _____________
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by SirREX94: 5:45pm On Jun 25, 2016
Bros eh, i dey hail!....... Seconded! #speaking from experience [/quote]
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by banme1(m): 5:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
iyblaq:
African star Apple is called Udarri in Efik, Cross River and Akwa Ibom
akwa ibom is udara.
Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by Oketoks(m): 5:48pm On Jun 25, 2016
dauntless15:
Op why generalizing i know the names of this fruits even before i was born, no be everybody be dullard, if you attend a good primary school you will start spelling from primary one or two.

So people wey no sabi d english names of those fruits don turn dullard? mtchew.
Over sabi

1 Like

Re: 4 Fruits Nigerians Don't Know The English Name by bigtoyin(m): 5:51pm On Jun 25, 2016
U said u hate the tiger nut guy UV missed alot apart from d sweetness WHO recommend it as a brain buster and help you to perform very well as a man just buy it wash it very well and eat every thing including d chaff swallow every thing is very nutritious

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Guys Kill Gorilla In Warri, Pose With It After Roasting It On Fire (Photos) / The Animals Boys Caught After Morning Training (Photos) / Eating Too Much Of These 9 Nigerian Foods May Kill You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.