Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,955 members, 7,810,646 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria (3200 Views)

Oyeleye Lateefat Emerges Overall Best Medical Student In Ukraine / OOU Produces Best Medical Student In Nigeria / Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 26, 2016
10 Best Medical Schools in Nigeria

To qualify to practice as a medical doctor in Nigeria, you have to attend a medical school. However,there are so many medical schools in Nigeria that it can become really difficult to choose a very good one to attend.

It is very important to select a medical school carefully. This is one of the most important decisions you would ever make and it is very important to do it with care, precision and armed with the relevant facts and figures because really, all medical schools are not created equal.

To take care of the facts and figures aspect, we have decided to provide you with detailed information on the best medical schools in Nigeria to help you make an informed decision.

Almost every university in Nigeria offers medicine and surgery as an accredited course but if you want to be able to compete with your colleagues on the international scene and be a very good doctor, these are the medical schools that are likely to help you achieve that.

1. University of Ibadan

University of Ibadan has one of the largest college hospitals in Nigeria. It is a popular saying amongst Nigerians that if an ailment cannot be treated or managed in UCH, then it can’t be cured anywhere else in Nigeria.

In UCH, you would find a lot of medical cases and ailments that you may never find anywhere else in Nigeria. I guess you already know what that does for your career as a medical doctor.

2. University of Jos.

Juth is one of the best teaching hospitals in the country well equipped with modern state of the art facilities. The unijos medical school also introduce clinical materials during the second year of training through clinical demonstration sessions that increase yearly.

3. Obafemi Awolowo university

Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU, is another very good place to study medicine in Nigeria especially in the South-West. OAU also has a very attractive college hospital with dozens of medical cases and ailments.

4. Ahmadu Bello University Zaria (ABU)

If you are in the North, then ABU is the best place to study medicine in the Northern area of Nigeria as no other medical school in Northern Nigeria can compete with ABU in terms of its facilities, structures, brilliance and dedication of its lecturers.

5. University of Lagos (UNILAG)

As with others, UNILAG’s college of medicine is divided into three faculties; The Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Clinical Sciences and the Faculty of Dental Sciences.

UNILAG has been in existence since 1962 and has turned out tens of thousands ofgraduates over its 52 years of existence.

6. Lagos State University

Lagos State University (LASU) also has a very impressive College of Medicine and a teaching hospital.

7. University Of Nigeria Nsukka

On the eastern end of Nigeria, we have the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. UNN is a Federal Government owned University and has a lot of facilities for effective tutoring of its medical students.

8. University of Benin (UNIBEN)

This is another medical college that has been in existence for several decades and has earned its spot on the list of the best medical colleges in Nigeria.

UNIBEN has turned out a good number of medical doctors over the years most of whom are doing impressively well in the medical industry today.

9. University of Ilorin

UNILORIN has good facilities for studying medicine. One attractive thing about studying medicine in UNILORIN is the fact that it has a fast paced educational system and doesn’t go on strike like other government-owned universities, making it possible to finish your medical program in record time.

9. University of Maiduguri
Unimaid is also one of the most interesting schools to study medicine in Nigeria. However the insurgency in the north east has reduced the popularity of this uni.
CONCLUSION
This list is by no means exhaustive, and the criteria are based on the quality of fresh graduates, lecturers and facilities not on speed or geographical location.
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Querty(m): 9:20am On Jun 26, 2016
I love dis..
nice one!!

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Querty(m): 9:33am On Jun 26, 2016
Moderator!!
dis one is a front page material,, atleast for those buying direct entry forms now and for d next jambiters..
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by DrRasheed: 9:37am On Jun 26, 2016
Nairalanders put me in your supplications, being a doctor is my dream. Oneday i will inherit my dad. For now am just trekking to the field
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by capitolarena(m): 9:46am On Jun 26, 2016
Op no upth no upth and lasu is there?....may God forgive you amen

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by capitolarena(m): 9:46am On Jun 26, 2016
No ucth
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 26, 2016
DrRasheed:
Nairalanders put me in your supplications, being a doctor is my dream.
Oneday i will inherit my dad. For now am just trekking to the field
Amen. U will get there. Just a little hard work and determination with prayers.
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 26, 2016
capitolarena:
The list is best 10 for now. Surely every school cannot be there. But I can assure you any acredited medical school is good.

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by rhid1: 1:25pm On Jun 26, 2016
TRASH,,..........&unilorin is 9th on ur list?

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Querty(m): 1:30pm On Jun 26, 2016
rhid1:

the list is Ok
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by incrediboooh(m): 1:33pm On Jun 26, 2016
:-Xstudying MBBS in Nigeria jex ain't worth d hype...wen if a polithiefian coughs..d next thing is making arrangements on flying him out... undecided lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by rhid1: 1:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
Querty:

the list is Ok
The list is okay?,......I c.......who wrote the list?,....u& d op?..........I will bliv it only if it is from NUC,NMA or other certified body capable of unbiased ranking,...... good day!
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 26, 2016
rhid1:
Please refer to the conclusion of the post. It's not about speed. It's about quality of fresh graduates of medicine and other criteria mentioned in the conclusion.
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2016
rhid1:

The list is okay?,......I c.......who wrote the list?,....u& d op?..........I will bliv it only if it is from NUC,NMA or other certified body capable of unbiased ranking,...... good day!
You mustn't always win all the time. If you think the list is bias state your reasons.
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by bjbukzy(m): 2:28pm On Jun 26, 2016
capitolarena:
lol...lasu medical skool is actually the best state university medical skool and produce good drs due to their exposure to good facilties and experienced medical drs

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Crieff(m): 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
Orubebe ranking. Where do you rank OOU?
What are the variables and criteria of your ranking? Where are the categories?

lipsrsealed
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by rhid1: 3:51pm On Jun 26, 2016
Crieff:
Orubebe ranking. Where do you rank OOU? What are the variables and criteria of your ranking? Where are the categories?
lipsrsealed
help me ask am oo
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by rhid1: 3:54pm On Jun 26, 2016
Efriday1:

Please refer to the conclusion of the post. It's not about speed. It's about quality of fresh graduates of medicine and other criteria mentioned in the conclusion.

u mean unilorin doesn't produce good drs or their teaching hospital isn't one of a kind?.........get ur facts right,u can alert me when u hv a new ranking,........am outta here!
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by uniqueren(f): 4:16pm On Jun 26, 2016
DrRasheed:
Nairalanders put me in your supplications, being a doctor is my dream.
Oneday *i will inherit my dad*. For now am just trekking to the field

Of all things to inherit
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by dunsin125: 5:00pm On Jun 26, 2016
what of delsu o
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by JonSnow(m): 6:14pm On Jun 26, 2016
No UPTH? _aboki list undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Dunsin89(m): 6:54pm On Jun 26, 2016
The University with the best medical school with provesm check here https://www.nairaland.com/2228034

2 Likes

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by ezimo777(m): 8:16pm On Jun 26, 2016
I love this piece #greatJosite

2 Likes

Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 01, 2016
This post was written by medical student (not a doctor). When you begin your practice then you will know that your ranking is irrelevant.
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by dmgr(m): 12:29am On Sep 02, 2016
udusok
Re: 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria by GdexFolami(m): 12:36am On Sep 02, 2016
Nice write-up bro ...irepcohs

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News! Jubilation In Abuja As Atiku Wins / Ola Rotimi's Epic Novel ' The Gods Are Not To Blame' Was Plagiarized From Oedipus Tale In Greek Myth / Pls I Need Names Of Big Bookshops In Abuja And Their Addresses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.