Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,333 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Old Trafford Abuse Of Wenger Was Vile And Totally Unacceptable - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Old Trafford Abuse Of Wenger Was Vile And Totally Unacceptable (3866 Views)

Alex Ferguson's Statue Unveiled At Old Trafford / Manchester United (4) Vs Bayern Munich (4) Live From Old Trafford, 7th April, 7:45pm / Manutd Vs Chelsea (battle Of Old Trafford) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Old Trafford Abuse Of Wenger Was Vile And Totally Unacceptable by novaman: 6:04pm On Sep 03, 2009
The sending off of Arsene Wenger at Old Trafford for kicking a water bottle in frustration at seeing Arsenal outplay Manchester United and still lose was a joke.

But what certainly wasn't funny were the chants that accompanied Wenger's comical retreat to the stands.

You could hear them on Sky. We all know what the chant is but I can't - and won't - repeat it here because it's libelous, wrong and deeply disrespectful to one of the all-time great managers.

But if you go on to Amazon you can buy that song on a CD of football songs. Play.com had the good sense to take it down after complaints.

Wenger, despite everything, stood there among the United fans and smiled. What an incredible man.

I remember, though, Sir Alex Ferguson complaining bitterly about security and stewarding at the Emirates a couple of seasons back when he felt Arsenal fans were getting too close to his bench.

But going back to those chants, how is it that United aren't taking action? How is it that Tottenham fans are allowed to routinely sing those sick songs during every north London derby?

You can't make racist chants. People get arrested for those sort of chants and, in my view, should not only be banned from that ground but get a lifetime ban from every ground in the country.

Don't think for a moment Arsenal fans are whiter than white. They sing homophobic chants about Ashley Cole every time Arsenal play Chelsea.

I was at the Emirates covering Arsenal's defeat to Chelsea in May. A fan, with his young child sat next to him, shouted homophobic abuse at Cole at regular intervals during the first half. It was loud and not great parenting.

At half-time when I could get to the nearest steward, I went up to him and asked him to take action against the Arsenal fan for the homophobic chanting. The steward said he hadn't heard the chants. He must be deaf.

But you can abuse Arsene Wenger with the worst sort of allegation possible. One that is completely and utterly untrue. What a joke.

Re: Old Trafford Abuse Of Wenger Was Vile And Totally Unacceptable by novaman: 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2009
From the News of the World = http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/479608/Arsene-Wenger.html

[size=14pt]IT'S OLD TRAFFORDISH! [/size]

COMPLAINT - Arsene Wenger makes his point at Old Trafford
Arsene Wenger sent off for creating a splash

FURY - Wenger can't believe it
MAN UTD 2 ARSENAL 1
Wenger loses his bottle as Gunners go down to the champions
Read By NEIL ASHTON, 29/08/2009

FURIOUS Arsene Wenger last night launched a blistering attack on referee Mike Dean and insisted the official had been intimated by Old Trafford.

The Arsenal boss was livid at the end of Manchester United's controversial 2-1 triumph and was sent off for booting a water bottle after Robin van Persie's injury-time "equaliser" had been ruled out for offside.

Wenger angrily blasted Dean for AWARDING United a penalty after Wayne Rooney tumbled under keeper Manuel Almunia's challenge - and for REFUSING to give Arsenal one when Darren Fletcher appeared to haul down Andrey Arshavin.

The Gunners were leading through the Russian's first-half wonder strike bur Rooney's successful spot-kick and an Abou Diaby own goal wrecked their 100 per cent start to the season.

And Wenger invented a new word for the English vocabulary as he stormed: "The penalty decision was 'Old Traffordish'. There were a lot of things that happened which were beyond belief.

"The ref made the decision from the middle of their half, so I don't know how.

"It is difficult to go home without a point when these things happen because we played so well.

"It was a big difference in the game and he gave it with the player heading for the corner flag.

"You know what you are going to get every time you come to Old Trafford.

"The decision was down to the referee, he makes them."

Arshavin is brought down by Fletcher but is not given a penalty.
Wenger's attack comes just three days after Arsenal striker Eduardo was accused of diving to win a penalty in the Gunners' 3-1 Champions League triumph over Celtic.

The Croatian has since been charged by UEFA of conning the referee and Wenger has leapt to the defence of his player, branding the charge "a disgrace."

Wenger added: "I don't suppose this will be anywhere near as big an issue as Eduardo.

"We were the better team and lost. We were better for long periods of the game and we produced the best football.

"Can we deal with it? Yes, I'm convinced we can. We can be a real force."

Wenger also hit out at ref Dean for failing to book Fletcher.

He added: "How that player got away without a yellow card is amazing.

"I felt we played in the right spirit, but I saw one player who made 20 fouls without getting a yellow card and then no one sees it."

Arsene Wenger is sent from the touchline by ref Mike Dean
The Arsenal chief claims his team are being victimised after the negative publicity surrounding Eduardo's penalty claim last week.

He added: "UEFA have opened something here. They will have to charge Messi for the head-butt in the Super Cup game now.

"There are 50 situations like that every weekend, but the Eduardo case has no logic.

"We have clear proof on video that he was touched by the keeper against Celtic. We will prove it."

Rooney went down in similar circumstances, caught by Almunia's outstretched arm inside the area.

The United striker said: "I didn't even think about it - he touched me on the way through. I didn't think there was any doubt about it. It was a penalty."

Wenger was later sent off by Dean when he kicked a water bottle in disgust after Van Persie's injury-time effort was ruled out.

Although William Gallas was clearly offside in the build-up, Wenger booted the water bottle after the assistant referee flagged for the infringement.

The Arsenal chief added: "Don't worry, I'm always in touch with the FA. Yes, I kicked the bottle when the goal was cancelled.

"I was disappointed, what can I say? It was 30 seconds from the end, he told me to go to the stands.

"I suppose it was a spectacular effort. The fourth official spotted it - I didn't know we weren't allowed to do it."

Wenger attempted to climb in to the stands, but was eventually led down the touchline by a security guard amid chaotic scenes.

Dean blew the final whistle moments later but Wenger's conduct will be in his report to the FA.

Arsene Wenger takes his place in the 'stands' to the delight of the Old Trafford fansArsene Wenger takes his place in the 'stands' to the delight of the Old Trafford fans
He faces a warning about his future conduct, but is unlikely to be fined or banned.

United stand-in keeper Ben Foster should have done better with the Arshavin rocket that put Arsenal ahead.

And Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson admitted: "He's 26, but he hasn't played a lot of games and he lacks that experience.

"He knows he should have done better than that, there is no doubt about it. He has to improve in that area, but he will."

Ferguson also confirmed Rooney is now United's official penalty-taker.

Michael Carrick missed against Burnley in the 1-0 defeat at Turf Moor, but Rooney is thriving on the spot-kick responsibility and calmly slotted in his fifth goal of the season with his 58th-minute finish.

Rooney added: "Unfortunately Michael missed against Burnley, so I'm happy to take them.

"I always feel confident from that kind of situation so I took it. Fortunately it went in."

(1) (Reply)

Most Chelsea Fans Are Lousy And Myopic / We Provide Ultimate Soccer Bet Prediction And Football Tips / Official: Uefa Club Rankings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.