Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,186 members, 7,815,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Font Not Showing On Website. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Font Not Showing On Website. (3996 Views)

Google Adsense Ads In Blogger Blogs Now Showing On Opera Mini / Google Adsense Not Showing On My Website, What Could Be The Problem ? / Pls Help On Joomla!- Template Not Showing On All Pages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Font Not Showing On Website. by HC: 8:50pm On Sep 03, 2009
i used a font called Myriad on a website but its not showing on other computer, it only shows on mine and shows as Times Roman on other systems. How best can i make the font show when other people view the website.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by inf8nity(m): 8:55pm On Sep 03, 2009
Hi HC,
You cant control the font on other people's computers. The font will only show if it is installed in that computer therefore i would advice that you stick to the common fonts for your web pages and use the rare ones in your images or flash animation.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by HC: 9:28pm On Sep 03, 2009
@inf8nity, thanx for that quick one. Its rather unfortunate i can have the font as text within the website content. Will have to stick to universal fonts then.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by yawatide(f): 9:30pm On Sep 03, 2009
yep, and those fonts would be arial, helvetica, sans-serif, for the most part.

Lesson of the day:
Always use web-safe fonts that are easy on the eye.

On the other hand, if you use siFR fonts (google it), you might be able to get away with using some wacky fonts wink
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by HC: 10:15pm On Sep 03, 2009
Thanks Yawa, another lesson learnt.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 5:07am On Sep 04, 2009
Although you can embed your fonts dynamically by adding the font on your site. The fonts are usually located in window/fonts.
I used this technique only once, but it is not adviseable. Maybe if you are working on a local intranet stuff.

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<--!
@font-face {
font-family: Arial;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src:url(http://www.SiteAddress.htm/EOTfileName.eot);
}
-->
</STYLE>
Check out this article, it explains better http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/css_no15.htm
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by inf8nity(m): 7:05am On Sep 04, 2009
*dhtml:

Although you can embed your fonts dynamically by adding the font on your site. The fonts are usually located in window/fonts.
I used this technique only once, but it is not adviseable. Maybe if you are working on a local intranet stuff.
Check out this article, it explains better http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/css_no15.htm

You can use the above but the only limitation is that it is only used with OpenType (.otf) but not TrueType (.ttf) . Only safari 3.1 supports the licensed .ttf at the moment so that again brings us to the major issue of browser compatibility. Rule of the thumb stick to common fonts. cheesy
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 04, 2009
That is right. If you need to use the font that badly, then better to just create a graphics with it, transparent or whatever and get over with it.
I do not advise embedding fonts at all, it can affect perfomance of a page when it fails to load and platform dependency being another.

I remember a time when i embedded verdana (fooolish dont u think) into a site i made (the first website ever that i made). Then i noticed that online the font will always download and affect perfomance of the page. I did not know that verdana exist on other computers then!
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by yawatide(f): 10:07am On Sep 04, 2009
dhtml:
Total waste of time, no offense. Just follow web standards. Yes, the client doesn't care how it is done, as long as it is done but that doesn't mean their site should be turned into an experiment.

There is a very common acronym out there, K(eep) I(t) S(imple) S(tupid). I have been abiding by this for 10 years now and it has paid me well.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 04, 2009
yawatide: if you follow my post well. I maintained that it is not a good idea to use embed fonts and explained why, but also went on to expantiate
on how to embed fonts. It may be useful for an offline project such as on local server especially when your clients are using internet explorer on windows. No knowlege is wasted, it just needed to be used right. For instance despite my good grasp and usage of flash/php/mysql, i have never used it on a live website before except on local intranet-based projects where speed is not much of an issue!! In case someone is getting the wrong impression. I have not edited my post.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by yawatide(f): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2009
dhtml o o o o o, omo peteru tongue
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2009
Looks like we are about to start our wars again! Ok, lemme launch my first greenade hia! OK, not on this thread, on another!
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by yawatide(f): 10:37am On Sep 05, 2009
no brother, otherwise I would have responded to your prior post immediately. I don dey grow grey hair. I don pass those levels cool
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 05, 2009
ha! ha! for wia. . . .by the way i will be needing your help very soon. . .so lemme go and keep my sha-ka-bula!
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by veetubes: 12:05pm On Sep 05, 2009
na waaa oooo
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Sep 05, 2009
na wa did what? abi you want make i. . . ? just kidding. . .now i wonder how the poster solved his problems
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by HC: 1:21pm On Sep 05, 2009
@dhtml, i had no choice but to stick to regular fonts. Thanx for all your comments.
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 05, 2009
Yep, that is the best choice. In development, if you love a font so much use it to create an image. But embed, dont try it.
Now i think there are about 5 fundamental crossplatform fonts. Verdana, Arial ehm ehm, i don forget. . .i think tahoma
Re: Font Not Showing On Website. by HC: 4:55pm On Sep 05, 2009
arial, times roman(my most annoying font), verdana, tahoma ,

(1) (Reply)

Stratfor Hacked By Anonymous Hackers For #antisec / Po / Online Payment Merchant In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.