Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,886 members, 7,866,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:25 PM

Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern - Religion (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern (164964 Views)

Bishop (dr) Chris Kwakpovwe Of Our Daily Manna Sets Lagos Ablaze With Miracles / Daily Manna Feeding On His Word Daily 2014 / The Rapture Of Abiding Saints In Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:03pm On Oct 30, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Do not despise the day of little beginning"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday 31, October 2014

The Guide You Need

TEXT: Psalm 119:105-112

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path" (Psalm 119:105).

In today’s world, many people parade themselves as role models. Among those who call themselves role models are divorcees, polygamists, men and women who cannot organize their homes. The definition of ‘role model’ appears misconceived nowadays that many of those who make the list are bereft of morals. The idea of role models in our society is that a man/woman can sing, dance or act in movies etc. What do the world celebrate other than vain things?

But the word of God is a sure guide; it ever remains the same no matter the changes in values and in society. The word of God does not change to accommodate the excesses of a highly placed person in society. And those who desire to walk in the old path must see a dependable ally in the law of God.

From the passage before us today, we discover that to walk safely in the thick forest at night, we need a light to avoid stumbling over the roots or falling into holes. In this life, we walk through a dark forest of evil. But the Bible can be our light to show us the way ahead so we won’t stumble as we walk. It reveals the entangling roots of false values and philosophies.

Three simple habits - reading the scriptures, spending time in prayers and sharing with others - are basic to the Christian life. Through the scriptures, Life speaks to life. And because God has inspired the writing of His word, when we read it, God speaks to us through the Word.

Yet, reading the word of God is not enough; it is more important to obey the word of God because it is in doing that that we grow. The prayer we must always offer is for God to give us the mind to understand His word, the heart to believe and the willingness to obey.

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "It is impossible to stumble while following the law"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2014
Thought for the day:

"It is impossible to stumble while following the law"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday 1, November 2014

No Room For Hatred

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 19:11-21

"But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities" (Deuteronomy 19:11).

The twin sin of hatred and dishonesty (perjury) account for a high percentage of evil befalling the world today. While hatred is responsible for numerous bodily harm and death, dishonesty has caused a lot of injuries to individuals, organisations and states.

In our text, God reveals murder as a major product of hatred and prescribes death as penalty. Although God instructed Israel to separate some cities for refuge into which slayers were permitted to flee, murderers were precluded from that privilege.

Removal of another person’s landmark in order to make fraudulent gain was also frowned at; for such an act was a product of a dishonest heart; ditto for bearing false witness. To this extent, God required that every accusation be thoroughly investigated before anyone accused was condemned. Where an accusation was however found to be baseless and malicious, God demanded that the false accuser be equally punished. In fact, God demanded that the punishment to be meted to the false witness be precisely the one that would have been meted to the accused had the accusation been proved (Deuteronomy 19:19).

We should be aware that killing a fellow human being physically is not the only act regarded by God as murder. The Bible says, “Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life in him” (1 John 3:15). That is the more reason we should endeavour to have genuine love for others. If by any chance we allow the pains of offence to drag us to the enclave of hatred, danger looms as it may foreclose our access to eternal rest with God.

Believers should examine their heart, watch their dispositions towards others and also make concrete effort to eliminate any kind of animosity or thought that could create a wedge between them and God. In the same vein, Christians should not be parties to false accusations against others.

Thought for the day: "Beware, hatred is a forerunner to murder"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:09pm On Nov 02, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday, November 02, 2014

Be Courageous

TEXT: DEUTERONOMY 20:1-9

"And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them" (Deuteronomy 20:3).

Fear is like paralysis that renders the body ineffective to perform its God-ordained functions. Fear itself, which is False Experiences Appearing Real, has the capacity to make a victim out of a victor. Many have lost opportunities, forfeited rare privileges and even died before their time because of fear. Those who will win in the battles of life must fight against fear consistently to get to the Promised Land.

Our text today centres on series of instructions given to soldiers who were to face their enemies in battle, just before they entered Canaan. Moses made it clear that battles would surely come but the priests were to encourage the people to face the battle with courage and faith. Those who were disposed to fight must be encouraged against fears because God was with them. The fearful and faint-hearted must be dismissed and sent back home with those whose private personal affairs called for their attention. Captain and leaders were to be chosen from those who overcame their fears and were ready for battle.

“When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies” is an expression by God that battle is certain and must be fought. Those who make appreciable progress in life are those who in spite of challenges, fears and dangers move in faith. Life itself is full of battles and challenges orchestrated by Satan and his agents, yet those who have personal relationship with God through salvation in Christ have assurance of His abiding presence. We need not fear for the Lord of host is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Just like the Israelites in the wilderness, we sometimes face overwhelming challenges and oppositions in life. It could be at work or in business or even in our families, and the battle appears hopeless. God reminded the Israelites that He was always with them and that He had already saved them from the potential danger. We too can feel secure in any battle of life today when we consider that God is always there to assist us in the most difficult situations.

What are the challenges and battles before you today? Fear will not solve the problem; stand firm in faith and see the salvation of God.

Thought for the day: "Fear and unbelief stand in the way of progress"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday 3, November 2014

Zero Tolerance for Sin

TEXT: Deuteronomy 20:10-20

"And what man is he that hath planted a vineyard, and hath not yet eaten of it? let him also go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man eat of it" (Deuteronomy 20:16).

The children of Israel were given instructions and directives in their military affairs in readiness to possess the Promised Land. They were to prepare for war, fight and possess it. There were seven strong enemy-nations in particular which must be conquered: the Hittites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizites, the Hivites, the Jebusites and the Girgashites. Failure to deal with and utterly destroy these idolaters would expose the Israelites to the danger of being infected and thereby incurring God’s wrath.

The passage before us shows the method to take in dealing with the cities upon which they made war. They must not make a descent upon any of their neighbours till they had first given them fair notice, stating the ground of their quarrel with them. They must first proclaim peace to them. This is teaching us that God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance and be saved.

The nations of Canaan were exempted from the merciful provisions made by this law because of the possibility of easily influencing and infecting the people of God with their idols. The scripture commands every pilgrim on the highway of holiness to “have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.” As the children of Israel were instructed to utterly destroy all those enemy-nations capable of destroying them, so believers are commanded to “wrestle, not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Fight all forms of sinful passions and fleshly lusts warring against your soul.

Getting to heaven at the end is not a matter of chance but that of choice. Whatever may want to hinder you - sin, self or Satan - must be fought and conquered. If you are still living in sin, surrender your life to Jesus Christ today and allow His precious blood to wash you and heal your sin-sick soul.

Thought for the day: "You either destroy sin or it destroys you"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:36am On Nov 04, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

I AM BOUND FOR CANAN (GHS 27)

1. Storms do not alarm me,
They sometimes must cease,
Trials cannot harm me,
For I have blessed peace;
All I’ve left behind me,
I long for no more,
Better things shall find me
On Canaan’s shore.

Let those who will stay in Egypt land,
I am bound for Canaan,
Where milk and honey flowing,
Shall ev’ry need supply;
All battles fought and
The vict’ry won.
Peace and joy my portion,
My soul shall rest,
On its shore by and by.

2. Troubles do not fret me,
They cannot abide,
Tho’ they may beset me,
In Jesus, I will hide;
All the world’s commotion
About me may roar,
There’s no stormy ocean
On Canaan’s shore.

3. I in grace abiding,
Am trying to stay,
In the shadow hiding
Of Canaan’s perfect day;
All I trust may fail me,
‘Twill matter no more,
Nothing can assail me
On Canaan’s shore.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:47am On Nov 04, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday 4, November 2014

Do Not Kill

TEXT: Deuteronomy 21:1-9

"If one be found slain in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it, lying in the field, and it be not known who hath slain him" (Deuteronomy 21:1).

Murder is a great crime, not only against the person who is killed but against the community and against God. It pollutes the land and exposes those who dwell in it to the judgment of God. By protecting murderers, we become partakers in their guilt and expose ourselves to share in the punishment.

God is so particularly strict in His laws against the murderer because he is the giver of life and nobody has the right to dispose of it. In the above text, the elders of Israel living in the nearest city where the crime was committed were to bring heifer down into a rough and unoccupied valley. They were to wash their hands in water over the heifer and profess that they had not shed the innocent blood themselves, neither did they know the murderer nor concealed the murderer. According to this custom, David the King testified that I will wash my hands in innocency. But for king Pilate, concerning the death of Christ, he misapplied it when he condemned Christ, knowing Him to be an innocent Person. When we hear about the wickedness of the modern-day criminals on how they murder innocent blood, we must cry to God for mercy and pardon for our land and nation.

Today, our nation groan and tremble under every sort of evil such as abortion, armed robbery, cultism in higher institutions, human sacrifices, politically-motivated killings, reckless driving and accidental discharges from security personnel’s guns. All these bring the judgment of God. “And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: Your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean: put away the evil of your doings from before my eyes, cease to do evil; come now and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sin be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson they shall be as wool” (Isaiah1:15,16,18). This is a clarion call to all murderers directly or indirectly to turn away from their evil ways and give their lives to the Lord through repentance.

Thought for the day: "Christ’s blood alone cleanses from the guilt of sin"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:19pm On Nov 04, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Christ’s blood alone cleanses from the guilt of sin"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:44pm On Nov 05, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday 5, November 2014

Polygamists: How Happy Are They?

TEXT: Deuteronomy 21:10-17

"If a man have two wives, one beloved, and another hated, and they have born him children, both the beloved and the hated; and if the firstborn son be hers that was hated: Then it shall be, when he maketh his sons to inherit that which he hath, that he may not make the son of the beloved firstborn before the son of the hated, which is indeed the firstborn" (Deuteronomy 21:15,16).

An infidel was once addressing a crowd of people in an open air meeting, he was trying to persuade them that there was no God and no devil, no heaven and no hell, no resurrection, no judgment, and no life to come. He advised them to throw away their Bibles, not to mind what people said, and be like him. But when an old woman came forward from the crowd and asked him a pointed question: ‘Are you happy? Do your new notions give you comfort? The infidel could not reply to the question and left the rally in shame.

From the passage before us, we see that polygamous families are fraught with hatred and malice; there is no happiness therein. Polygamy existed under the Mosaic laws. Although the practice was put under certain regulations, it was never enjoined nor instituted by God. Our Lord justly remarked, in answering a question on marriage, that in the beginning it was not so; for Moses merely allowed the practice among the Israelites because of the hardness of their hearts (Matthew 19:8.) But as it became customary, a law was made to prevent confusion and preserve order and fairness in families. It restrains a man from disinheriting his eldest son on account of his affection for the children of the wife he loves better.

The stories of Hagar and Sarah, Rachel and Leah, and Hannah and Peninnah show that polygamy breeds hatred because it is humanly impossible to equally love two women. Jealousy and bitter rivalry is bound to arise among the wives in a polygamous home.

God created male and female in order for the two to become one. A marriage of two or more females to a male is unscriptural, an aberration, and a sin. This is because it is a deviation from the original plan of God. Let’s return to the old path and save ourselves unnecessary heartaches. Even so, the believer’s love for God must be absolute, never to be shared with anyone, object or situations.

Thought for the day: "Two is company; three is a crowd"

See more at:

1 Like

Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:14am On Nov 06, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday 06, November 2014

Stubbornness Kills

TEXT: Deuteronomy 21:18-23

"And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear" (Deuteronomy 21:20,21).

Among the most detestable vices before God are stubbornness and rebellion. In fact, God equates rebellion and stubbornness to witchcraft and idolatry, respectively. Not surprisingly, both are punishable by death in the Old Testament, and in the new dispensation, they lead to eternal separation from God. But these misconducts are so common today, that many people no longer see them as God does.

Whatever our attitude is to stubbornness and rebellion in this age of permissiveness and liberty, God is unrepentant in His disdain for such misconducts. They are so serious that He commanded the Israelites that if a man had a rebellious, disobedient or stubborn son, the onus was on his parents to report him to the authorities. They were to lay out in detail, the offences of their son. They would also inform the elders if their son was a glutton and a drunkard. In other words, that he was disorderly, and therefore, a threat to the rest of the society. His offences confirmed, the elders of the city were to pass the sentence of death on the offending person. The entire people of the city would stone him to death, and in so doing, put away that evil from their community, “and all Israel shall hear, and fear.”

Don’t let anyone deceive you: rebellion and stubbornness are deadly sins. They make you look down on everyone else, including your parents; disregard good counsel; think of yourself more highly than you should; and arrogate to yourself powers that belong to God. When you lead such a disorderly lifestyle, you pose a threat to the orderly functioning of the society. You are therefore, not qualified to continue to inhabit the community of decent, law-abiding, and peaceful persons.

Children who are stubborn to their parents would invariably be shortening their life-span, as they draw on themselves a curse from the Lord. Other persons who rebel against constituted authorities, whether at home, the society or church, would eventually be visited by the long arm of the civil or spiritual laws. Either way, death awaits such offenders. The only option out is to forsake wicked ways, ask the Lord for pardon, and begin a new life of righteousness, submission and humility.

Thought for the day: "Rebellion puts one on danger list"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:59pm On Nov 06, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Rebellion puts one on danger list"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:45am On Nov 07, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday 7, November 2014

God Calls It Abomination

TEXT: Deuteronomy 22:1-12

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God" (Deuteronomy 22:5).

“It doesn’t matter”, is a very familiar refrain in the present generation that is bent on pulling down all long cherished standards. It goes beyond a mere expression – it is an attitude. This attitude becomes more disturbing when you find that it is more prevalent among professing Christians who are supposed to be the “light of the world” and “salt of the earth” – custodians of godly standards. Unfortunately, most of the things that come under the “it-doesn’t-matter” verdict today actually matter to God who pays attention to details.

Can God be concerned about strayed cattle and lost articles? Is He bothered about human oppression against animals? Does it matter to Him if women wear clothes meant for men? Does He consider cruelty meted to common little birds? Does He care about harmony, decency and propriety even with regards to plants? In today’s text, it is clear that God is concerned about these seemingly trivial matters as much as He is with weightier matters of the law. These are not mere ceremonial laws but moral laws. God expects us to be humane in all we do to our fellow human beings and even in our treatment of defenseless creatures.

For the woman to wear that which pertains to a man and vice versa is here considered an abomination to the Lord. In our day, this precept is flouted with impudence. Many professing Christians who indulge in this abomination advance all sorts of arguments to justify their practice. Some maintain that it is a dispensational matter and as such modernity renders it irrelevant; others assign cultural connotation to it. But all arguments fall flat in the face of divine verdict. This scripture means what it says.

Are there some divine precepts that you consider trivial, even in the mind? Do you know how much damage “little foxes” can inflict? Do you know that the Lord, who searches the reins and hearts of men, is a God of details? Think again and resolve to comply with revealed details of God’s precepts.

Thought for the day: "There is consequence for every action"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:57pm On Nov 07, 2014
Thought for the day:

"There is consequence for every action"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:49pm On Nov 08, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday 8, November 2014

Nothing To Celebrate

TEXT: Ezekiel 21:1-17

"It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree" (Ezekiel 21:10).

It would be completely unthinkable and absurd for any one to throw a party and make merriment in the face of a raging disaster and calamity. This is why sensitive presidents of most countries cancel their engagements at home or abroad in order to identify with their nations in moments of crises. If it is thought inhuman and insensitive for people of the world to rejoice, make mirth when there is an obvious danger and calamity, then it will be completely unacceptable for Christians to make fun of a looming calamity coming upon the world.

Prophet Ezekiel in our text paints a gory and terrifying picture of an approaching judgment upon the nation of Israel. The judgment will be so massive and terrible cutting across the whole land and leaving no one. Seeing this terrible vision, the prophet called for weeping and mourning. He saw no reason to rejoice or make merry. The only appropriate thing to do at such a time is put aside all merry making, take up sackcloth, sit in ashes, mourn and weep in repentance.

As Christians today, this calls for real sober thought. Can we say that we have not heard of the impending judgment and calamity that will sweep across the world, leaving no one out? Can we say that we are ignorant of an eternal lake of fire awaiting all unrepentant sinners at the end of their lives on earth? What has been our attitude to these realities? Do we ignore them, pretend they are not serious issues and just go our way and engage in merry-making? How does our attitude show that we really believe what we read and preach? Can we say we are concerned with our less emphasis on eternal issues and playing-up of temporal, material well-being and success? Are we not making mirth instead of weeping and pleading for mercy? How then will the world take our message serious and believe what we preach?

The Lord expects that like Ezekiel, we weep and mourn for the unrepentant, do all we can and spend all we have to make sure they escape.

Thought for the day: "We only mock the truth when we make light of it!"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:11pm On Nov 09, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday 9, November 2014

God's Righteous Judgment

TEXT: Ezekiel 21:18-32

"The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying, Also, thou son of man, appoint thee two ways, that the sword of the king of Babylon may come: both twain shall come forth out of one land: and choose thou a place, choose it at the head of the way to the city" (Ezekiel 21:18,19).

Historically, Israel’s testimonial is basically that of a nation that fought series of wars against many heathen nations and conquering many of them while it acted in obedience to God’s word and instruction. And when the nation rebelled against God their Creator, they suffered avoidable defeat. In 589 B.C., Judah went into peace treaty with Ammon and conspired against Babylon. This apparently had made the exiles in Babylon happy as they had thought that the time of their homecoming was near. What a false hope and unfounded joy.

Ancient Babylon had a practice of divination that determined the will of their heathen gods in some distinct ways. In obedience to the result of the divination, the “King of Babylon stood at the parting of the way, at the head of the two ways to use divination, he made his arrows bright, he consulted with images, he looked into the liver” (verse 21). Judah had gone into unholy alliance with Ammon contrary to God’s commandment, and the Lord had pronounced judgment upon them through the mouth of the Prophet Ezekiel. The king of Babylon did not overrun the city because of his practice of divination. Ammon and Babylon were also later judged for their sin.

The lesson is clear: unequal yoke is a grave sin just like idolatry, idol worship and practices. When God is set to judge anyone or any nation for sin, it does not matter which way He does it or which instrument He uses. No matter what, His will must be accomplished. Jerusalem was a defenced city. Our physical defences would not avail in the time of God’s judgment for sin.

We are to take heed to the word and commandment of God and avoid unequal yoke as Christians. The Lord does not love anyone or nation to the level of exempting them from the consequences and righteous judgment for sin.

Thought for the day: "God uses any instrument to judge sin and punish sinners"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:15pm On Nov 09, 2014
Thought for the day:

"God uses any instrument to judge sin and punish sinners"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:41am On Nov 10, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

TAKE MY LIFE (GHS 87)

1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.

2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet, and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

3. Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.

4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.

5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne.

6. Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store;
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday 10, November 2014

Willful Disobedience

TEXT: Ezekiel 22:1-12

"In thee have they taken gifts to shed blood; thou hast taken usury and increase, and thou hast greedily gained of thy neighbours by extortion, and hast forgotten me, saith the Lord GOD" (Ezekiel 22:12).

A watchful, dutiful mother looked out of the window on the snow covered driveway. She saw her seven year old son Danny sled into the street. She called him into the house and reprimanded him, saying, “I’ve told you never to sled into the street! You will have to stay in the house for the rest of the day!” Throughout the day, Danny heard the laughter of happy neighbourhood children as they romped and sledded on the snow. When the day was almost gone, Danny pleaded, “Can’t I go out now mum?” Mother relented. She bundled him up warmly. As Danny dashed toward the door, mother warned, “Remember what I told you about going into the street, stay in the yard”. These were the last words Danny ever heard his mother speak. Five minutes later Danny was dead. He was crushed by a car when he sledded into the street. Obedience could have saved Danny’s life.

The children of Israel were like this defiant child who eventually strayed into his destruction. Sundry acts of rebellion which include immoral lifestyle, idol worship, shedding of innocent blood, greed and extortion from the less privileged, and catalogue of many other crimes as were mentioned in the text are dangerous to a believer’s spiritual health! The day of forsaking God can be very devastating. Departure from God will lead men into defilement, as the case is in the passage of today.

Israel became a laughing stock because of sin. Unfortunately for them, they ran from security into insecurity. They had no understanding to discern the danger that is imminent. The world is in darkness today because of departure from God’s standard of holiness.

God is gracious however to those who come into His redemption plan through the death and vicarious sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross of Calvary. The solution to the problem of the world is in returning to God sincerely through repentance. The word of God says “If thou will return, return unto me: if thou shalt put away thine abomination out of my sight, then shalt thou not be removed” (Jeremiah 4:1).

Thought for the day: "Repentance is the key to restoration"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:10pm On Nov 10, 2014
‪MBS2014‬ Connect with the Bible Study now.

Today's message is on Multitudes on the Popular way. http://webcast.dclmhq.org
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:10pm On Nov 11, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday 11, November 2014

Don't Waste God's Mercy

TEXT: Ezekiel 22:13–22

"Can thine heart endure, or can thine hands be strong, in the days that I shall deal with thee? I the LORD have spoken it, and will do it" (Ezekiel 22:14).

If people are guided by lessons from history, particularly of punishment God had handed down on mankind at one time or the other, there would be less of evil practice today. For the fact that God never changes, neither does His standard vary, men should have heard of the fiery judgment of God against some forms of evil in the past, and should have done everything humanly possible to avoid incurring His judgment now or in the future.

Sinners provoke God either because they forget Him or simply because they are ignorant of His demands. Jerusalem, in today’s passage, has filled the measures of her sins. Those who give up themselves to be ruled by their lusts and those who resolve to be their own masters, should expect no other happiness than their own hands can furnish; and a miserable portions it will prove.

God had revealed how He had ‘smitten’ His hands at “thy dishonest gain which thou has made, and at thy blood which hath been in the midst of thee,” following up with detailed threat of how He will still punish the same erring persons. What God did to those who sinned in times of old, He is still able to do to sophisticated sinners of contemporary time.

Israel, compared with other nations, had been as the gold and silver compared with baser metals. But they were now as the refuse that is consumed in the furnace, or thrown away when silver is refined. Sinners, especially backsliding professors, are - in God‘s account - unfit for heaven. When God brings His own people into the furnace, He sits by longer than is fitting and needful. The dross shall be wholly separated, and the good metal purified. Let those who suffer pains or lingering sickness as a result of sins take warnings to flee from the wrath to come. The trials may just be sanctions to cleanse their hearts and hands from sin. Keep yourself holy and pure.

Thought for the day: "Run from God’s wrath!"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2014
Daily Manna
Wednesday 12, November 2014

Intercessors Wanted!

TEXT: Ezekiel 22:23–31

"And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none" (Ezekiel 22:30).

It is generally believed that evil will multiply when good people refuse to speak against it. Ancient cultures thrived in the activity of individuals and groups that served as mediators between offenders and the offended persons or authorities to reconcile them. Such roles are sometimes played by lawyers, attorneys and some individuals in modern societies.

The Bible also has examples of people that have stood in between two parties in conflict to reconcile them. Abraham was a good example of intercessors when he pleaded with God to spare Sodom and Gomorrah. Although his prayer did not completely avert the destruction, his effort, undoubtedly, must have contributed to the deliverance of his nephew, Lot and his family from the destruction of Sodom.

In the passage for meditation today, God lamented the prevalence of ungodly activities even among people who professed to serve Him and the absence of intercessors who were genuinely concerned about the situation. His divine judgment came upon the people because nobody stood against the ungodliness; nobody prayed or showed concern about the sinful state of the people and the nation.

We cannot say that the atrocities mentioned in our passage today are not present with us or rampant in our own society or churches today as they were then. God is still searching for intercessors to pray unto Him on behalf of the nation and individuals. The challenge is that we need to be concerned about the spiritual state of our loved ones, acquaintances, church members and nation. The reality of the looming judgment of God upon sinners and sinful nations should motivate us to pray. Will God count you among the number of intercessors?

Thought for the day: "You can change the world through prayer"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:59pm On Nov 13, 2014
Daily Manna
Thursday 13, November 2014

Two Of A Kind

TEXT: Ezekiel 23:1–21

"Then I saw that she was defiled, that they took both one way" (Ezekiel 23:13).

A few years ago, a sad event played out in a family in one of the states in Nigeria. The family had seven sons and the eldest went into armed robbery. He was caught and killed. The second followed in the steps of his elder and ended the same way. The others followed in the same business of armed robbery and all seven died either by execution or mob action. None was able to see the need to turn away from the evil despite the destructions that befell the front-runners.

The story of the two sisters, Aholah and Aholibah in the text, is similar. Aholah played the harlot, forsook her God and went after the gods of the Assyrians and Egypt and she was destroyed (verse 10). This result did not stop Aholibah the younger from following in the same way. She became worse than her elder, Aholah. Samaria and Jerusalem which are represented by Aholah and Aholibah went into sin, turned away from God and went after the Babylonians. They became terribly polluted. The consequence was that God became also alienated from them (verse 18).

The scriptures admonish us to be separated from the world and not to love the world. Friendship with the world is enmity with God. When Aholah and Aholibah, God’s chosen ones joined themselves to the Egyptians and Assyrians, they lost fellowship with God.

The love of the world comes gradually and before we know it, if we are not watchful, we would have been swallowed by it. Everyone has the tendency to get drawn into the world. Worldliness is spiritual adultery. Aholibah followed the steps of Aholah. Anyone can mislead the other. The truth, however, is that Aholibah had the same inordinate desire for the world like her sister. They were two of a kind.

When you turn from God, you become alienated from Him and judgment follows. The two sisters were destroyed. Those who walk the same way end up in the same place. Examine yourself, repent and return to your first love and escape God’s judgment.

Thought for the day: "Sin will shorten your lifespan"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48am On Nov 14, 2014
Daily Manna
Friday 14, November 2014

Don't Be Disgraced

TEXT: Ezekiel 23:22-35

"I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols" (Ezekiel 23:30).

God has not hidden his disdain for idolatry and whoredom. Those in doubt should consult history books on the sister-cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. Before destruction came to the two cities, God sufficiently warned them. That has been His pattern in His dealings with man.

Having dealt with her twin sister Aholah (Samaria), God went ahead to reveal to Prophet Ezekiel his impending judgment against Aholibah (Jerusalem).

What were her sins? Aholibah was a woman of easy virtue. She was weighed in God’s balance and found wanting in the area of chastity. “Thou hast walked in the way of thy sister…” (Ezekiel 23:31). How? “Thus, she (her sister-Aholah) played her whoredoms with them, with all them that were the chosen men of Assyria and with all on whom she doted, with all their idols she defiled herself.” In sending the message, God was particularly unhappy that Aholibah consistently remained in her sinful lifestyle even after seeing the punishment meted out to her twin sister for the same reason.

The Bible is replete with instances of God’s judgment against sin. The scriptures say the Almighty is a consuming fire. The Great Babylonian king, Nebuchadnezzar, tasted God’s fury; Pharaoh of Egypt in the days of Moses, and his subjects realised very late “the finger of God” in action. Many other people - small and great - have at various times tasted the fury of God’s judgment. In all cases however, God forewarned them. In our text today, He forewarned Aholibah, but she was flagrant in her sin.

Don’t be like Aholibah who consistently refused God’s warning. He cannot call indefinitely. After warning comes judgment. There is, however, an escape route. Jesus provides that route. You need not be disgraced, but you can receive pardon right now if you make up your mind.

Thought for the day: "You can’t do wrong and get by"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2014
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:15pm On Nov 15, 2014
Daily Manna
Saturday 15, November 2014

Obey Only Lawful Commands

TEXT: 2 KINGS 16:10-20

"And Urijah the priest built an altar according to all that king Ahaz had sent from Damascus: so Urijah the priest made it against king Ahaz came from Damascus" (2 Kings 16:11).

Man’s crave for innovation or drive to please a supposedly superior being, instead of God, often leads him to collision with his Maker. It also makes man to give the glory which rightly belongs to God to a fellow man instead. This, more often than not, results in idol worship.

Ahaz, king of Judah, had gone to meet with Tiglathpileser, at Damascus to pay homage to him. There he saw an altar which he decided to duplicate for his Baal worship back at home (Jerusalem). It is instructive that this same enemy nation (Syria), in partnership with Israel had attacked Judah but unable to conquer it, though they had at different times in the past defeated Judah. The adoption of the altar upon which Syria worshipped her idol was a symbolic acceptance of the pagan god of that idolatrous nation. Anyway, birds of the same feathers flock together. Ahaz himself was deeply involved in idol worshipping.

Although the type of priest Urijah was is not indicated in our text, he would have, like Nathan did to David, checked the excesses of Ahaz and made him toe the line of spiritual decency. Though he appeared obedient to the king, by his action, he had made Ahaz slide further into idol worship.

Ahaz’s removal of the oxen, as well as the borders of the bases of the smaller lavers, in addition to the coverts for the Sabbath, all of which he subsequently transferred to the king of Syria, was not only a desecration of the temple of God, it also amounted to stripping God of His glory and giving same to man-made gods.

Although God commands believers to, “obey them that have the rule over you,” they should, however, note that only lawful commands by superiors should be obeyed. Any command that requires believers to sin against God or that inhibits the worship of the living God should be wisely and firmly turned down. Children of God should also be careful not to give God’s glory to any man.

Thought for the day: "Doomed is he who courts man’s favour instead of God’s"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:52am On Nov 16, 2014
Thought for the day:

"Doomed is he who courts man’s favour instead of God’s"
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
Daily Manna
Sunday 16, November 2014

The Broken Tooth

TEXT: 2 KINGS 17:1- 8

"In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes" (2 Kings 17:6).

Futility! This seems to be the one word which can be used to summarize the thoughtless action of Hoshea the king of Israel who rather preferred affinity with the King of Egypt as the weapon needed to shake out the yoke of the Assyrian King, instead of doing the right thing by leading the whole nation back to God. He revolted against Shalmanesser’s control, only to discover that their ally, So, the Egyptian King, was no more than a mere “broken tooth” which can’t be trusted for desired coverage.

Had the king and people of Israel applied to God, made peace with God and directed their petitions to Him, they might have recovered their liberty, peace and honour. But they preferred to withhold their tribute, and trust the king of Egypt to assist them in their revolt, which of course merely changed the banner from one oppressor to another.

Their wrong approach in looking for a solution only aggravated their problem. King Hoshea was bound and imprisoned. Since they were suffering as a result of sin (verses 7,8,) their king should have led them back to God rather than deeper into the mud of sin by having affinity with the king of Egypt.

Sincere repentance and unconditional return to God remains the only solution to what every suffering sinner needs (2 Chronicles 7:14). Any attempt to cut corners would end in disappointment and worsen the case. Are you pressed under the heavy weight of divine judgment because of your sin? Has the “Assyrian king” brought you under servitude because of your backslidding and compromise? Well, don’t pack it up, there is still hope, if only you can humble yourself before God, and return fully unto Him like the prodigal son.

Thought for the day: "Trusting in man ends in disappointment"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:03pm On Nov 17, 2014
Daily Manna
Monday 17, November 2014

The God Of Justice

TEXT: 2 KINGS 17:9-23

"...So was Israel carried away out of their own land to Assyria unto this day" (2 Kings 17:23).

The dealings of God with the children of Israel reveals a lot of paradoxes: Israel, without deserving the love of God, enjoyed a unique favour and blessing from Him. Apart from that, the original purpose of God for Israel was that they would honour Him and be a light to the world. That is, through them the blessings of God and the word of God would flow to the whole world. What God expected from Israel in return was to be wholly devoted to Him and obey His commandments. But while God is faithful, Israel demonstrated fickleness of character and unfaithfulness to the covenant of God with them. In Exodus 19:8, the children of Israel solemnly promised: “… all that the Lord hath spoken, we will do.” Yet, in Jeremiah 44:16, they defiantly recanted: “… as for the word that thou hast spoken unto us in the name of the Lord, we will not hearken unto thee.” Such betrayal cannot be tolerated by men, let alone God.

In the passage today, we see one of the examples of the treacheries of the children of Israel. They practised the evil customs of the surrounding nations, worshipping false gods, accommodating pagan customs and following their own desires. Israel had forgotten the importance and benefits of obeying God’s word. The King and the people had become mired in wickedness. Time and again, God warned them of the danger of turning away from Him and calling them to return.

Eventually, Israel was swept away just as God’s prophets had warned (Jeremiah 25). Sometimes, obeying God’s precepts is difficult and painful but better if we consider the consequences of disobedience. We need to determine to be God’s people and ask for grace to do what He says, regardless of the cost.

God’s patience and mercy are beyond our ability to understand. He will pursue us until we either respond to Him; or, by our own choice and hardness of heart make ourselves unreachable. Then, God’s judgment will be swift and sure.

Thought for the day: "Man is free to obey God and reap the benefits; or disobey Him and face the consequences"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:30pm On Nov 17, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

JUST OBEY! (GHS 47)

1. Just as God who reigns on high,
Spake to men in days gone by;
So the Lord is calling men today;
And my brother, this is true,
Whatso’er He says to you,
There is but one thing to do –
Just obey.

Just obey … Just obey …,
Is the way…, God’s way …,
When His message comes to you,
There is but one thing to do:
Just obey…, Just obey

2. If you’re in the Saviour’s hands,
You must do as He commands,
For there is no other gospel way;
Never put the message by,
Never stop to reason “why”,
When the Saviour speaks to you –
Just obey.

3. If for mansions fair you sign,
In that land beyond the sky,
After time with you has pass’d away;
Tho’ the way you may not see,
Christ is calling, “follow me,”
Faith and duty both will cry –
Just obey.

DLBC, Sweden.
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:12am On Nov 18, 2014
Daily Manna
Tuesday 18, November 2014

Worship God

TEXT: 2 KINGS 17:24-41

"They feared the LORD, and served their own gods, after the manner of the nations whom they carried away from thence. Unto this day they do after the former manners: they fear not the LORD, neither do they after their statutes, or after their ordinances, or after the law and commandment which the LORD commanded the children of Jacob, whom he named Israel" (2 Kings 17:33,34).

Charles Spurgeon said, “My happiest moments are when I am worshipping God, really adoring the Lord Jesus Christ, and having fellowship with the ever-blessed Spirit. In that worship I forget the cares of everything else. To me it is the nearest approach to what it will be in heaven”.

In our passage today, we see the confusion and punishment that false worship brings. Israel did not serve God out of a true heart, due to the idols Jeroboam introduced in Bethel. For this and many other sins, God sent Israel, His chosen one into Babylonian slavery. When the king of Babylon sent a priest to go and teach them the way of God, he taught them what took Israel into captivity, the fear of God and the worship of idols combined!

The gem and lesson from this passage is the understanding of what true worship of God should entail. The passage reveals God’s declaration of what should be the object of, the reason for, the spirit and manner of true worship. The LORD Jehovah, the Supreme, Self-Existent, and eternal Being, Author of life should be the sole object and heart of our worship and adoration. Any other thing that diverts our concentration from this holy God is false worship and rejected by Heaven.

The reason for our worship of God, apart from the fact that we are created for this purpose, is that we show our gratitude and appreciation to God who created us and redeemed us from the fall through the offering of Jesus Christ His Son, who willingly offered Himself as our acceptable Substitute to satisfy the judgment of God for the sin and rebellion of man.

The spirit and manner of true worship is that which is carried out from true love and fear of God. Fear that makes us love what He loves and hate what He hates. Fear that makes us obey His commandments and walk with Him in humility all the days of our life, recognizing that we belong to Him. Godly fear makes us bring our worship and service to Him in holiness and righteousness all the days of our life.

Thought for the day: "Worship God with holy fear"

See more at:
Re: Daily Manna — God's Abiding Concern by OasisofRefuge(f): 9:58am On Nov 18, 2014
Thanks for sharing sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (52) (Reply)

MY Experience With The Supernatural, Ghost And Spirits Do Exist. / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Building Collapses (Picture) / Issues About Sex In Dream, Spirit Wife, Spirit Husband, Spirit Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.